PDA

View Full Version : NOT A PROBLEM, just found this odd and thought I would share.

Bustr
09-28-2013, 11:18 PM
My spektra halos both work perfectly. I love everything about them. I use one for lining and one for shading.
I purchased my first one directly from fkirons. Awesome customer service, quick and easy to deal with.
I purchased my second one from a distributor World Famous, they are local to me so I was able to save on shipping.

Anyways, I have reached that time to clean and lube my machines. NOTHING BROKEN but this is what I found:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/bustrs97prelude/IMG_0876_zps1ed8689b.jpg[/URL]

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/bustrs97prelude/IMG_0878_zpsa9d5073a.jpg[/URL]

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/bustrs97prelude/IMG_0879_zpsd618c3e2.jpg[/URL]

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/bustrs97prelude/IMG_0880_zps3cb54712.jpg[/URL]

As you can see one spring is a lot shorter then the other. I have read on the forums that some halo users do cut their springs to change their "give".
Now the one directly from Fkirons is the longer spring. So I know that obviously that is "stock". I have used the one with the shorter spring from their local distributors
for lining WITHOUT ANY ISSUES AT ALL.....
I use a critical cx2-r power supply
Here are the ways I run them:
the short spring machine 9v 2 and half turns out from (tighter to looser) usually a 7rl and lines like a laser.
the stock "long spring" 7.5v 1 turn +/- usually 7mag - 15mag packs and blends amazing.

My questions are:
Short spring have any bad effects down the road on the machine?
Those of you who have modified the spring notice any better performance?
any input /answers please

sorry mods if I placed this in wrong section.

cagelavey
09-29-2013, 01:24 AM
the time of purchase might be the answer. they changed the slide and i guess the spring is shorter also. i haven't received mine yet i guess its being shipped now. anyway that was my first thought. and if so you can send in the older machine to get modded to the new slide3 and spring. i could be wrong that's just what popped in my head when i seen the post.

cagelavey
09-29-2013, 01:26 AM
also be careful not to mix up the slides because they are custom made per machine

joelhague
09-29-2013, 05:03 AM
hey bro my halos are the same way i have one short a older model when it was first released and then a newer one but not the newest with power slider i contacted fk over this and its just how they are made even my first one the black piece under the spring that slides on the rod was shorter and smaller on one,.. just dont mix them up they probably run close to identical ... i have also tried cutting my springs and you can get the machine running super soft like a nice coil give feel or dragonfly... when i first got the halo i felt like the give barley worked unless u opened it way up cutting 1 or 2 loops of the spring made the give work better. just dont cut off too much or you wont be able to get absolute zero give instead ur locked down will be like a half turn off

joelhague
09-29-2013, 05:06 AM
i really like running the halo with the give open for lining did the gf knuckles with the give almost all the way open for a 5 liner and 3 liner and that shit stuck perfectly on the knuckles of all places. i knwo alot of people say no give is the best for packing... i tend to agree but... i really do enjoy opening up the give to take abit of the bite off and get a nice bit of a bog down a little shock absorber :)

fkirons
09-29-2013, 07:09 AM
I don't know how apart you purchased the machine, but it could be that one of the long ones was in the batch of short springs and we put it without realizing it. They both work good. You can just clip it if you have the need for.

fkirons
09-29-2013, 07:12 AM
An anther thing. Do not mix sliders and do not over lube please!
Clean inside the frame and the machine before re lubing.
Re grease slider and only one drop of oil on the tip of slider and one around the abar. That's all you need
We've seen some customers that love to pour half the bottle of oil in the machine and wondering why their motors smell like burned.

cagelavey
09-29-2013, 07:23 AM
what is a good length to get more give in shorter turns if you do cut the spring? is there an actuall physical measure that would work best. i just hear you have to make many turns to see substantial give. by cutting the spring this makes it more give/less turns? and can you order a bunch of replacement springs to experiment? it would be cool to set up a couple halos with different spring lengths for different applications, i think. i could be wrong, ill know more in a few days i suppose, lol.

Bustr
09-30-2013, 09:58 AM
So as the machines are custom made the springs are then cut to dial in the performance ?
or is this short spring and actual updated part?
Do you recommend that order a new spring or just cut 2-3 coils off?

Btw Thank you guys for the input. I do make sure whatever ever comes out of one machine goes right back without a mix up. Like I said they work great just thought the spring sizing was a little weird.

as far a lubing goes I follow the video on your homepage to the T.