PDA

View Full Version : New brass Neotat with magic drive motor

Heath
10-12-2013, 01:17 PM
A few months back, Neotat held a contest for a digital poster so they can use it at conventions. Long story short, I won. I finally received my brass Neotat with the new magic drive motor, 3.5mm stroke and clip cord today. I will be using it on everything the next few weeks before posting a review. Weight wise, it feels awesome. Not too heavy, but not flimsy and light like most rotaries that weigh 4 oz. Just wanted to share this beauty. I'm super excited to get this machine. Ray even signed it for me, per request.

The logo is a broken pentagram from the metal band Oh Sleeper. It's basically a thumb to the nose to the popular pentagram.

OwlsDen
10-12-2013, 01:31 PM
It is so Beautiful! I love the mottled brass. Congrats, looks like you have a very nice machine.

cagelavey
10-12-2013, 01:37 PM
can you please post the differences between the original vivace motor and this one? like just how it is improved. everyone says they like them and they are better but never in what way. I exspecially am interested in how the line, thanks

Heath
10-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks OwlsDen. Yeah I will definitely post a review once I get to use it more.

peezie
10-14-2013, 01:51 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the motors are the same and the only difference is the magic one has a flywheel added. Just what I've read on here though as I don't own one myself.

cagelavey
10-14-2013, 02:27 AM
Yeah I know the flywheel is the only difference, I'm just curious add to how substantially better this makes it and in what way. I know more down force on strike, that it will run at lower volts, etc. I just want to know how this effects the neo over all

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Ty Bones
11-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Just picked one of these up. Exact same as in the picture, just a different logo on the back. The differences from the old vivace is the CAM is now larger and made almost entirely out of brass, making it heavier. And is I'm not mistaken they have changed the amps on the motor. I've set it up right next to an older model and I can say that if you don't have a vivace yet, go with the magic motor but if you've already got one you don't have to run out and get a new one. Performance wise it is very smooth with a good true hit and runs at the same volts as they always have

cagelavey
11-10-2013, 11:32 AM
same exact motor volts,amps everything, its just the heavier cam that makes it run different the added weight causes the motor to run different, i talked to ray and others about this.

Adie@theinkparla
11-12-2013, 05:32 AM
That looks amazing I've got a standard orange vivace I'm pretty jealous of your new one.
do they sell these brass ones ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Administrator
11-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Contact them directly to inquire about getting a brass machine. I think these are made in limited runs so they are not normally carried by any of the NeoTat distributors.

Ty Bones
11-17-2013, 08:37 PM
I picked mine up from a convention. No idea where you can order one.

cagelavey
11-17-2013, 09:50 PM
you got to call ray direct at neo-tat, or email them. its the only other way to fet them outside conventions, shows, etc. also the only way to get one custom built to a specific design.

Alie K
11-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I'll be posting about brass wheel vs orig wheel soon as well- I've been meaning to, but with new studio startup and all, I've been lagging on all things extra-curricular!

In a nutshell, I feel as if the brass wheel in the "magic motor" lends a comforting feeling of inertia. Once it starts spinning, it wants to keep spinning. Where I used to have some trouble using round shaders, it has gotten easier for me with the new wheel- as if it has more "punch", but almost like it has a bit of bog. A friend of mine, when picking up my machine, once described it as feeling like driving a low-rider.

It has a really nice smoothness to it- less of a "mechanical" feel. It almost has the hand of a direct drive.

Hope that helps a little.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Heath
11-18-2013, 10:03 PM
This is a great description. Sorry I've been so busy lately and wanted more time with the machine. I prefer the weight of the brass over my other rotaries. I know everyone is all about feather light machines but it almost steadies my hand better and 7oz is nothing once you've used a 9oz machine. I've used almost every rotary brand out there now and to me this new brass drive wheel, combined with almost pure silence while tattooing, and the stay up spring has really spoiled me. It feels more effortless than other machines color packing or gray shading.

I'll be posting about brass wheel vs orig wheel soon as well- I've been meaning to, but with new studio startup and all, I've been lagging on all things extra-curricular!

In a nutshell, I feel as if the brass wheel in the "magic motor" lends a comforting feeling of inertia. Once it starts spinning, it wants to keep spinning. Where I used to have some trouble using round shaders, it has gotten easier for me with the new wheel- as if it has more "punch", but almost like it has a bit of bog. A friend of mine, when picking up my machine, once described it as feeling like driving a low-rider.

It has a really nice smoothness to it- less of a "mechanical" feel. It almost has the hand of a direct drive.

Hope that helps a little.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk