PDA

View Full Version : Halo veterans please reply

crabink
10-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I see many posts with Halo users running 8-9 volts for color and BnG...
I am afraid to run my Halos that high for fear of overworking skin.
My theory is that it's stitching to fast to impregnate properly and will cause
to much blunt force trauma to the skin like most coils.

I was wondering what cam and average volts speed you guys are running the Halo for color and BnG?

Also what style of tattooing do you do? Be it traditional or realism etc...

Really curious.. I been running them around 7 -7.5

Please reply.. thank you.

cagelavey
10-26-2013, 10:08 PM
im not exactly a veteran user, lol. but like I posted on another thread, I shade and color in between 7.8-8v and line at 9v. iturn my give on the shade/color 4.5-5 full turns, and my liner 1.5-2 full turns. definitely doesn't cause much trauma at that give and volts. it hits soft and punchy at the same time if that makes sense. I am going to try full give tomorrow for shading/color/lining at a lil higher voltage for each as that is what some have suggested. said its awesome and id love it. anything is worth a shot. anyway the way ive been running it has had amazing results and I love it. I started at lower voltage for shading/coloring but felt it wasn't as smooth, anyhow, that's where im at in my process, ill post more tomorrow when I try the full give thing. oh and I use 3.2mm cam for shade/color and 3.6mm cam for lining.

sacredsouls
10-26-2013, 10:20 PM
I have been running the 3.2 almost full give at 8.4-9v for shading and color. Same voltage with about half to a quarter give with a 2.5 for black and grey and tonight I tried lining with a 3.6 at 10.2v full give and it was fucking brilliant.

johndameart
10-26-2013, 10:21 PM
I ususally run mine around 7.5-9 for realism, but thats just me, just really depends

crabink
10-27-2013, 01:08 AM
so it seems like 7.5 to 8.5 is the sweet spot.... thank you.. and anyone else care to add on.. go for it

peezie
10-27-2013, 12:54 PM
6.5 for color here. machine bogs a bit with 11mag but puts in color most efficiently for me. i do need to slow my hand speed a little but the ink saturates faster. i find i have to work the skin more any higher than 6.5. this is using 3.2mm stroke. almost no give. i do mostly japanese style. kinda like coil machine theory. slow and punchy. but thats just me.

nivek
10-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Same as peezie - what I like about the halos is the same thing I like about the Kubins - both work GREAT at lower voltages.

Halos form 5-6.5 maybe a 7 on some spots.

fkirons
10-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Don't stress Crab and start low and tattoo. Crank up the voltage until you find your own point. Overall voltage for me is 8.5 volts give and take

joelhague
10-28-2013, 12:16 AM
i dunno how u run a halo at 5 v bro 6.5 i can almost stop the machine by touching the nipple i guess it depends on pu i run mine at 8.5 for color and shading it feels like it bounces off the skin too much on lower volts i guess i like a bit of bite when u compare machines like the halo etc to the way some ppl run a thunder like on those cheyenne pu the thunder is like a silent chainsaw u couldnt run a halo that high if u wanted i still find it amazing how some artists run super fast on one machine and super low on another ive heard of artists lining at rediculously slow speeds as well as guys who like. them at that 120cps mark. why the hawk pu goes to 170 cps is beyond me after owning all these machines and looking back at it you can basically run a rotary on any voltage and have it work for u the same with give settings its just a matter of getting used to it i guess i run all my machines around the same medium speed and.hit

crabink
10-28-2013, 03:08 AM
been running around 7.5 volts today.. worked well

cagelavey
10-28-2013, 08:01 AM
I definitely feel comfortable in between 8-9v, for everything! I just haven't come across the need to run much slower or faster than that. have been able to tackle everything really efficiently. that's definitely the sweetness for me. I love the gen8 , and the vivace both quality machines I have but the halo is just really suited to the way I like to tattoo, i might be looking to get another through trade or purchase real soon.:D

joelhague
10-28-2013, 12:20 PM
see i hear u on that bro i dont get how these ppl work at 5-7.5 v 8 and up for me too

peezie
10-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Hey joel, its ok to not understand. Everyone works differently. No right or wrongs when it comes to peoples preference.

cagelavey
10-28-2013, 02:21 PM
I suppose some tattoo quite slower so may work well for them, but I don't get it either? Seems counter productive efficiency wise in my opinion. Not knocking anyone so don't get me wrong, I just whole heartedly believe if anyone running at such low volts were to crank it up a bit they'd be floored by the results, with a more full and gratifying experience all around.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

peezie
10-29-2013, 02:32 AM
When I first used the halo for coloring my natural instinct on the speed and feel was around 8v. Ran at that speed for a couple large tattoos. Wasn't happy with the speed of color saturation. Was pretty much layering the color in about 3 passes average. That might be good for someone who does color portraits or flash but I do large scale back pieces and arm sleeves almost exclusively. Brought the volts down lower to around 6.5 and slowed my hand speed a bit and was doing one hitter quitter color packing and saturating way faster. I don't tattoo slow either. Faster machines don't equate to faster tattooing. Also, I was using predispersed inks like eternal and fusion which can be packed with a little bit faster running machine. Try packing at 8v with some powdered based pigments and see how fast you go with that. I believe if anyone running at such high volts were to crank it down a bit they might be floored by the results. But that's just me. Not knockin anyone either as I know everyone tattoos differently.

crabink
10-29-2013, 02:49 AM
I am trying to find out how fast a halo with 3.2 cam at 8v is stitching. I'm looking for that 100-110cps range like most coils shaders.
When i run my machine at 8.5 volts it seems to be stitching faster than a medium stroke coil shader.
Any have the stitch and volt numbers?

cagelavey
10-29-2013, 03:51 AM
i hear ya peezie, its just so hard to see outside what works for a person personally, makes all other concepts seem foreign, lol. what works, works:)

chris-in-cali
10-30-2013, 01:13 AM
7.5 volts....all day long....like fucking butter

peezie
10-30-2013, 02:36 AM
7.5 volts....all day long....like fucking butter Any pics of your color work? Curious to see some larger fields of color packing layed in like butter at 7.5 on the halo. More curious on how long the tattoo took to pack that color.

crabink
10-30-2013, 03:54 AM
I ran some black and grey today around 7.2 with the 2.5 and the shades flew in effortlessly. Long taper 7 mag
I dont even see how or why I would run it at 8.5 volts. Would do more force trauma and surface trauma. I did not have any need to.
I got the solid blacks, shades and fades I wanted quickly and easily. There was no need for me to run it faster.

I colored at around 7.2 with a 3. 2 stroke using a seven mag medium taper... and worked great.

For those of you running around 8 to 9 volts, are you using very short needle hang and riding the tube?

cagelavey
10-30-2013, 07:26 AM
awesome.:) what did you have your give set at?

sacredsouls
10-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Yea I run my shaders short maybe 2-3 mm hang and ride the tube.

joelhague
10-30-2013, 01:10 PM
i think power supplies may make a bit of difference crab what do u run i have found the criticals to push out more power on the same readout vs an eikon my eikon seems a volt low so who knows maybe ur 7.5 is my 8.5 my thunder doesnt auto cut off till 14.8v like when they say it should auto cut off after 13 or 13.5

joelhague
10-30-2013, 01:16 PM
and 2-3mm is short while riding the tube? seems long to me i like 1-1.5mm whhn fully extended when riding the tube for black and grey and only about 2mm when packing color i never usually stick more then 2mm into the skin even when hanging 4mm packin color

crabink
10-30-2013, 01:57 PM
i think power supplies may make a bit of difference crab what do u run i have found the criticals to push out more power on the same readout vs an eikon my eikon seems a volt low so who knows maybe ur 7.5 is my 8.5 my thunder doesnt auto cut off till 14.8v like when they say it should auto cut off after 13 or 13.5

Yeah.. I use a critcal... maybe that is the difference.

crabink
10-30-2013, 01:57 PM
awesome.:) what did you have your give set at?

No give

sacredsouls
10-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Haha I was in a hurry when I wrote that and got my thoughts crossed. I meant I use a little over half the 2.5 for bng and half the 3.2 for color. But in turn said I use 2-3 sorry for the confusion.

crabink
11-02-2013, 04:17 AM
Omfg.... ran the machine at 7.8... wow.... I less trauma... faster smoother tattooing. .... 3.2 stroke. .. was fucking edfortless

joelhague
11-02-2013, 12:58 PM
ha ha hot damn crab thats like 8.5 on a eikon no doubt. ur in the zone! i have packed color.in my own leg fusion lime.green and did it with the halo 4mm hang sinking in half or more. then a nickle hang and sinking to the tube did both of these with no give then did the same again with full give. 8.5v and all 4 sections healed basically the same week and a half total heal time the give areas actually started peeling 2 days before the rest so even faster. i was pretty amazed no matter how i weilded that epic machine called the halo i could do no wrong

crabink
11-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Yeah.. compared to alot of other rotaries the halos are real smooth in and out of the skin even with no give.
I had no idea that more speed would actually do less trauma.. and the blending and saturation was fucking
effortless. Wow.. halos are the shit...rotaries are the shit.

cagelavey
11-02-2013, 02:12 PM
That's what I've found to Joel, you can run the halo just about any way you want. I personally don't ever use the halo with no give. One of the reasons I got a halo was because of the give. in any event I guess I'm jus a complete fan! Lol

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk