PDA

View Full Version : Users of nicks rotary please reply

ac30
10-29-2013, 06:11 AM
All you Nicks users out there. Do you find that the O ring around the drive bar helps it anything? The basic idea is to quieten down the associated noise with bar and spring machines. Does the noise bother people? Do you find it a pain when the ring eventually goes and you have to part strip it to put a new one on?

Wonderland
10-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Mine is an older nicks and makes very little noise, I don't find that it bothers me much alt all, but if you need just put a rubber band around it.

peter clements
10-29-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm no builder, but thinking about it, an O ring should not be nescassary around the drive bar, some would say that eventually you may compromise the motor. If a machine's really noisy then something needs putting right regarding the build.

skinmech
10-29-2013, 09:15 AM
I see no need for an o-ring on these style of machines, DDO I can understand where one is used in place of the elastic bands...However, as a means to "stabilize" or sound-deaden a machine, it is unnecessary...

ac30
10-29-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm no builder, but thinking about it, an O ring should not be nescassary around the drive bar, some would say that eventually you may compromise the motor. If a machine's really noisy then something needs putting right regarding the build.

Its not really noisey, just not near silent. Does the noise from yours bother you pete? Iv just tried it anyway and it makes no difference lol

peter clements
10-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Its not really noisey, just not near silent. Does the noise from yours bother you pete? Iv just tried it anyway and it makes no difference lol

I don't think it's particularly noisey, that's a powerful Maxon you've gone with. You can't expect them to be noisless, although I do appreciate a little less noise is a small bonus. Many rotaries get quieter as they have more use over time, in the old days they always had to be "Run in".

NickTattoo
10-29-2013, 04:26 PM
that o ring has his part ... the drive bar tends to slightly move a bit forward .. so the o ring prevents that movement .. that way the motor will last longer .. and makes less noise
hope this answear your question