PDA

View Full Version : Halo Stay up Spring

crabink
11-20-2013, 10:06 PM
If the Halo had no stay up spring.. and i ran it in normal tubes with standard needles
Would it really make a difference to the life of the motor?
Or is this just to get the needle up when stopping?

crabink
11-21-2013, 05:15 AM
Bump

ac30
11-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Whilst it's not really my place to answer I think you would get longer from the motor. Stay up springs but unneeded pressure on the cam and shaft. Just my opinion

fkirons
11-21-2013, 08:14 AM
If the Halo had no stay up spring.. and i ran it in normal tubes with standard needles
Would it really make a difference to the life of the motor?
Or is this just to get the needle up when stopping?

The only reason to remove stay up spring is to run carts. Otherwise stay up spring does not shorten the life of the motor and it's supposed to be there to run normal needles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Christo
11-21-2013, 09:01 AM
sorry to be a pest, could someone post a picture of this spring? or direct me to a store where they sell them? regards

crabink
11-21-2013, 02:09 PM
The only reason to remove stay up spring is to run carts. Otherwise stay up spring does not shorten the life of the motor and it's supposed to be there to run normal needles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

OK.. so your saying it does not shorten the life of the motor (I didn't think it would, but wanted a professional opinion) and yes I agree it is to run carts.

That being said... if you want the freedom to rotate the cam face of a machine like a kubin its better not to have a stay up spring.

And if you want to adjust the needle hang it is easier to manually do it.

So a stay up spring on the Halo can be removed and it wont effect the motor, but it will help to manually set needle hang because it is free to move easier?

serial1313
11-21-2013, 02:34 PM
If you take out the motorbolt you can manually set needle hang easily.

cagelavey
11-21-2013, 08:05 PM
ive never had a problem setting needle depth with the motor bolt in. though serial is correct, that's all youd have to do to free up the cam. the stay up spring or band from the cart always push the armature pin to the farthest up position so i always loosen vice and line my needle depth with the end of my cart/standard tip with no problem. if i am going to need something more exact i suppose i might line the hang with the machine running and the vice slightly loose then tighten where i want it, no problem, i guess to me it doesn't pose that much of an issue. but different things matter to different folks. i have however ran my halo without the stay up spring, only for a few minutes though when i lube the slide because i don't ever have the stay up spring in because i use only carts. in any event, it runs i identical to how it does without it, the sound is the same and everything, doesn't seem to affect its function in the slightest.