PDA

View Full Version : neo tat mod gone wrong

2eckies
04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
so I'm def a neotat fan, except for one lil thing, the plug, drove me crazy to switch cables during a tattoo (i jump back and forth between 3-4 machines during a tattoo) so I decided to mod it , I removed the base, took off the lil jack and put a couple binding post and now....tis no work.... I noticed the mini jack had a secondary wire attached to the neg....am I missing something? any help would be appreciated

merky
04-23-2011, 08:32 PM
call ray at neo tatt.

Alie K
04-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Ray has several Neotat sites. I think that one of them [maybe taptatdaddio?] had a pdf on machine maintenance somewhere in there. Perhaps there is a bit on the wiring? I know he is super busy trying to keep up with orders (Eikon keeps selling out of them, and he is racing to keep up with demand), so don't be surprised if it takeks a while to get back to you. He doesn't ignore emails, it can just take him some time.

If I remember when I get to work (yeah - on Easter - boo) I'll unscrew the backplate on one of my machines and see what I see (might be different, as I had Ray send me backplates with both clipcord and rca).

The Limey
04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure what you've done if you look at Rays RCA mod the picture shows two wires but there are 3 pieces of heat shrink... send him a pm or email and I'm sure he'll help you out as soon as he has time.

http://www.neo-tat.com/oscommerce/images/NMC-RCK.jpg

slicksteel
04-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I think the other piece is to cut in half and put over the motor connect ends.

2eckies
04-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanx guys, it is only 2 wires, so it didn't make sense to me that it didn't work, how do I know if I burnt out the motor os seized it up, it won't budge now even if I manually try to spin it, this blows , it as one of my dailys

Alie K
04-24-2011, 11:43 PM
...unless you soldered the wires to the wrong areas? Maybe it's a polarity issue? Maybe the motor is the variety that won't turn unless there is power going to it?

2eckies
04-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Took the motor out of the case comPletely , tried the clipcord in different polarity position, nothing.....fuck!!! Was going to post a pic but I'm on my iPod

Alie K
04-26-2011, 10:35 AM
it might not be your clipcord polarity - I thought maybe where you soldered your red/black from the motor to the rca might be off. If something is grounding that shouldn't be, yeah - maybe that's your problem?

What if you opened up your machine again and took some close pics of the wiring and where you have everything soldered - on both the motor side and the the inside of the rca attachment?

2eckies
04-27-2011, 01:12 AM
cant see were to post pix, opened up the case again, removed everything and basically had a motor and 2 wires, put my clipcord end directly on the motor ...no dice...what is bugging me is that im not sure what i did wrong, and i want to get another motor, but worried that imma burn that one out too...
Alie k, u have a personal email i can send pix to?

Alie K
04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
info (at) goodtattoos (dot) ca

Alie K
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
**2eckies - read my tutorial on how to add pictures in the how-to thread at the top of the forum, or use the little icon box (3rd from the left) when you are making a new post to insert an image.**

So, here is his mod gone wrong (sent to me in an email)

http://i54.tinypic.com/s3oxhu.jpg

and here is what the connecting end on my neotat looks like - I have the rca/clipcord mod, so it's a little different.

http://i53.tinypic.com/fo3skk.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2n9kpw7.jpg

Can anyone tell what he might have done wrong? Insulation where there doesn't need to be? Guesses? I'm not good with electrical stuff - unless I'm given instructions on what goes where and what might ground out, I'm lost.

Alie K
04-28-2011, 01:31 PM
You didn't disconnect the wires from the motor, did you? Mine has a red wire that comes from a spot where there's a red dot on the motor. I couldn't see that in your pic.

jonjon
04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi I did this to my neo tat and it would not run could not figure it out after about a half hou I realized it was grounding out from the screws touching the plate what you need to do is take a small piece of shrink tubing and seal it to the top part of the screws that touch the plate when ot goes through the hole and then make sure you have an insulated washer on both sides and it should work fine.

Alie K
04-28-2011, 11:52 PM
So, basically make your own shoulder washer. The screw may be touching the sides of something it shouldn't? It's difficult to tell if the arrangement on his mod is screw> wire eyelet> washer> insulated washer> backplate.

jonjon
04-29-2011, 10:31 PM
yes so I put it together with plastic washers on each side and it wouldnt run then figured out the threads of the screws were grounding out on the plate so I put shrink tubing on the top half of the treads drilled the holes a little bigger to compensate for shrink tubing put it back together and she purred like a kitten

2eckies
05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
i went as far as removing everything but the wires, just a hanging motor and wires and still no dice, I got in touch with Ray and im going to send off the machine and have him do his thing, when its gets fixed then it will hopefully shed some light and ill try to post the issues, hopefully it will help someone else who may have this problem, thanx all for ur help.

2eckies
05-11-2011, 12:22 AM
alright, so Ray got back to me, what happened was the bolts i decided to use were to big. the head of the bolt , when i installed the bottom plate back on, squeezed up against the motor crushing the motor case just enough to seize it...so yup, thats what happened. It is now in the hands of a professional and being modified all proper like, Ray you the fucking man.

Alie K
05-11-2011, 01:46 AM
alright, so Ray got back to me, what happened was the bolts i decided to use were to big. the head of the bolt , when i installed the bottom plate back on, squeezed up against the motor crushing the motor case just enough to seize it...so yup, thats what happened. It is now in the hands of a professional and being modified all proper like, Ray you the fucking man.

Wow - it's amazing what something so seemingly small can affect.