PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kubin SIDEWINDER!!!

C.Anthon
01-20-2014, 08:46 PM
I was very fortunate to get my hands on one of the first two sidewinders to make it to Canada, and let me just say, I'm beyond pumped about this machine!!
First off, it's quite small in size, but it's got a great weight to it, not heavy or hard on your hands, but feels nice and balanced. The build quality is unreal, and the wood inlay on the side is really impressive. You definitely feel like you're getting your moneys worth, it's gonna be a bit more then his crankers, but I assure you, well worth every penny. I'm totally over the days of spending $500-$600 on some plastic molded space machine lookin toy, this really retains the "tattoo machine" feel that Dan's been killing.
As far a how it tattoos, two words; LASER BEAM! I do a lot of large scale traditional stuff (using lots of loose 14-18's on torso's and backs) and that's typically when I would bust out my coils, I've never found a rotary that could match a heavy hittin coil's for stuff like that, until now! And due to the nature of the imagery I tattoo, I'm hyper critical when it comes to line quality. This thing packs the lines in quick and effortlessly, you hardly notice you're using a large grouping! I can't get over how fast I can line torso's now, gotta start charging more! I haven't used it for anything smaller then a 9 yet, but I really like my MC's for the small stuff, so I'm totally content. And best of all, it sounds a lot like a coil! Call me old fashioned, but I really like that.
So all in all, I won't hesitate one second to say this machine is a real game changer, I haven't put it down once since I got it, and it actually makes me look forward to lining stuff!

Wonderland
01-20-2014, 10:18 PM
We'll take a photo of that machine and let's see it

C.Anthon
01-20-2014, 10:45 PM
not sure if this pic will work or not...

thesmokingmirror
01-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Want one so bad! Sexiest machine Ive seen in a bit!

Wonderland
01-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Very cool I saw that machine posted on his Facebook.

joelhague
01-21-2014, 02:10 PM
so does the motor stick out the side lets see the side view pic

serial1313
01-21-2014, 02:40 PM
It does go out to the side.

OwlsDen
01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
So what kind of drive system is it? Is it a perpendicular cranker or is the something more magical going on. Also how is the give system? Is the same as Dan's other machines or is it something new? Just curious as to what makes this machine work so well.

nivek
01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Its new - the motor is mounted sideways, you can see pics of the ones hes been working on - at the fb page. I just got a mc14 and can not WAIT to get my hands on a sidwinder or two.

He has a flipagram movie of a bunch of them

serial1313
01-21-2014, 08:27 PM
I think that it is all new. The motor is a custom made Maxon with ball bearings instead of the bronze bushing. They are the best of the high end of motors. The MC Max has the same motor. I don't know about the give system as I do not have 2 YET. Haha!

jesoner79
01-21-2014, 10:31 PM
so basically you are saying that the sidewinder is doing what the crankers could not

darkness
01-25-2014, 08:16 PM
think its the same as a cranker but with more power for these thats needs more :))

artoftatt2
01-25-2014, 08:55 PM
I got mine a few days ago and I am going to get another for sure.. I've given up almost every rotary out their but this one is something special

Zapp
01-25-2014, 09:06 PM
I got mine a few days ago and I am going to get another for sure.. I've given up almost every rotary out their but this one is something special

I thought,They all do the same fucking thing and that's put ink in the skin !

artoftatt2
01-25-2014, 11:45 PM
I was referring to cnc cut machines not handmades.. You got a problem with me?

artoftatt2
01-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Maybe you should actually read my entire post before you make a rude assumption. It sure does make you sound a little incompetent..

crabink
01-26-2014, 01:12 AM
the fat ass vize handle gots to go...

serial1313
01-26-2014, 11:50 AM
This machine is quite a bit smaller than pictures make it look. They have good balance to them too.

peter clements
01-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Would you mind going into detail Arto? Why do you like it so much? I have every other type of machine Dan's made just about, so one of these will be next.

artoftatt2
01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Well I've used it everyday so far and I have been lining with it and shading.. For lining I've been using baggy elevens at 6.7 volts with no problem.. It actually sounds like a coil and hits like one , as for shading it has that same effect. Just enough built in give for that sweet spot.. I have used so many fucking rotaries and I really believe that this is the one for me.. I have never lined so easy in my 10 yrs of tattooing.. And better yet the needle always stays up.. I will be buying another for the simple fact I won't ever need another liner..

darkness
01-26-2014, 07:52 PM
to bad that dan dont sell them international :(

asa_castle
01-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Damn I was scared of the price tag but this thread is making me itch to have one!

ATS
01-27-2014, 03:49 AM
Stop it already..... I've no drool left!!

darkness
01-27-2014, 06:25 AM
i have try a dd with a ttech grip and its lines like a laser with no efforts ,good balance and better as the most coils or all i knowing :) -
what do they want more?

think we get a new hype :D

peter clements
01-27-2014, 07:00 AM
to bad that dan dont sell them international :(

Of course he will ,what makes you think that ????

darkness
01-27-2014, 07:49 AM
he write in Fb that all from usa can send a mail to get a sidewinder , but only usa. Ok - now i wait he will sell later machines to other countrys

peter clements
01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
he write in Fb that all from usa can send a mail to get a sidewinder , but only usa. Ok - now i wait he will sell later machines to other countrys

You mustn't panic ;) all Dan meant was to let the machine have a little run in the US only, just to be sure there were no little glitches to be ironed out. Once Dan is happy, the Sidewinder will be available outside the US, trust me .

darkness
01-27-2014, 11:01 AM
haha ... yes Peter , i´m not in panic :) -i have write with dan and now i knowing . I think its great that he test it before sale it over the world -a lot of companys try the new machines by the buyers .

asa_castle
01-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Mr. Kubin is legit.

Deakon
01-28-2014, 05:27 PM
I'll be getting these beauty's in stock soon hopefully will have a word with dan. As always feel free to mail me to get on a list if you're from the eu.

asA
01-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Deceivingly small...it looks way bigger in pictures. Sweet running machine...rad stuff.

Vinoshitto
02-02-2014, 04:26 AM
What!? Thats about half the size I thought it was.

grey
02-17-2014, 10:52 AM
When mine arrived I honestly was thinking i was tripping. The size of the phelonic side plate, I assumed was about the size of a credit card, trust me, the machine is really tiny, the thumbscrew on the vice just appears large...once I set it up, I couldn't believe how strong it was. My main reason for "needing" it was to be able to pull my really thick lines with more speed and finesse...it actually backs off like a coil, not just "implied give" but you can apply resistance on the armature bar and get back-off/relief....I am not going to make any bold statements but this is the most satisfying machine I've had...only lined with it so far.

asA
02-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Yup best bold liner I've tried. One pass lines with whatever needle configuration ya throw at it.

OwlsDen
02-17-2014, 02:01 PM
So nobody seems to want to describe what kind of drive system this machine is. Or what kind if give it has, is it the same type as the older crankers? As a matter of fact aside from everybody saying it is a killer liner ( makes me want it ) and sounds like a coil ( makes me not want it ), Dan must have a gag order on everyone to not describe the machine other than its diminutive size and it's incredible lining ability. I am starting to think he hid some small coils in there ;-P

tattood
02-17-2014, 03:58 PM
So nobody seems to want to describe what kind of drive system this machine is. Or what kind if give it has, is it the same type as the older crankers? As a matter of fact aside from everybody saying it is a killer liner ( makes me want it ) and sounds like a coil ( makes me not want it ), Dan must have a gag order on everyone to not describe the machine other than its diminutive size and it's incredible lining ability. I am starting to think he hid some small coils in there ;-P

maybe no one know because all of the components are self contained and I dont think anyone wants to take it apart, at least no yet

OwlsDen
02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
maybe no one know because all of the components are self contained and I dont think anyone wants to take it apart, at least no yet

I am not trying to suggest that anyone take it apart and divulge its secrets, I imagine Dan worked very hard on his system. It just seems to me that aside from it being small and a good liner we don't here any other features.. Adjustable stroke, type of motor, voltage range, type of give ( adjustable, non adjustable, none at all ), or any machine comparisons even to Dan's other machines. It would be nice to have a frame of reference to understand a machine, makes it easier to decide if it is something I may want to purchase or not.. I am guessing not as it is coil loud ( allegedly ) and why not just use a coil, what's the benefit?

serial1313
02-17-2014, 08:36 PM
I am not trying to suggest that anyone take it apart and divulge its secrets, I imagine Dan worked very hard on his system. It just seems to me that aside from it being small and a good liner we don't here any other features.. Adjustable stroke, type of motor, voltage range, type of give ( adjustable, non adjustable, none at all ), or any machine comparisons even to Dan's other machines. It would be nice to have a frame of reference to understand a machine, makes it easier to decide if it is something I may want to purchase or not.. I am guessing not as it is coil loud ( allegedly ) and why not just use a coil, what's the benefit? It has a small coil sound. It has adjustable give & stroke.It has a completely different mechanism than previous machines. It is like a coil because it actually uses coil spring stock inside of it. You want one of these! You will be impressed with how it lines & how it shades & colors. I haven't felt the need to adjust anything on it yet.

OwlsDen
02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
It has a small coil sound. It has adjustable give & stroke.It has a completely different mechanism than previous machines. It is like a coil because it actually uses coil spring stock inside of it. You want one of these! You will be impressed with how it lines & how it shades & colors. I haven't felt the need to adjust anything on it yet.

It really is killing me, I love the look of these. Although I think I almost have an idea how it is working. The spring steel inside helped me make a mental image. It sounds like its a really ingenious system. Is it louder than a Rapier II?

serial1313
02-17-2014, 09:01 PM
It really is killing me, I love the look of these. Although I think I almost have an idea how it is working. The spring steel inside helped me make a mental image. It sounds like its a really ingenious system. Is it louder than a Rapier II? It is about the same. MAYBE a little less than a Rapier II. It has more of a metal sound. When you see how small they are and how well they work you won't give a shit what they sound like. I know you like the Rapier, but in my opinion Rapier don't have shit on Kubin.

nivek
02-17-2014, 09:41 PM
*dance* mine is being built *tap dance*

serial1313
02-17-2014, 09:56 PM
*dance* mine is being built *tap dance* You are going to hate it! You should just have it sent to me to spare yourself the heartache. Hahaha!

artoftatt2
02-17-2014, 10:47 PM
I have two and I'm going to get a third. It's all I use and I line shade and color with them.. They are in a class of their own and hold some special magic

serial1313
02-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah, they have custom made ball bearing Maxon motors in them. Most have a bronze bushing that wears out over time. These machines should be considered as tattooing TOOLS. It is that simple.

OwlsDen
02-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Well you are selling me on it. I just may have to move some machines around and make room.

darkness
02-18-2014, 06:13 PM
yes - i have room too for a sidewinder :D .... a very nice place with a good look on my clients

Dan Kubin
02-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Hi Fella's!
I am really blown away by all the good reviews on this machine.
I am going to go into detail in the new products section.
many thanks and cheers!!

darkness
02-26-2014, 08:59 AM
your machine are always top and the money is waiting oversea to get a Sidewinder :)) - only good thinks do read about the machines

Administrator
02-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Well you are selling me on it. I just may have to move some machines around and make room.

From what I can tell it has a small footprint so making room may not be a big issue. ;)

ATS
02-26-2014, 01:26 PM
From what I can tell it has a small footprint so making room may not be a big issue. ;)
lol'd

nivek
02-26-2014, 07:52 PM
I just got mine today - I say this to everyone - GET ONE - I swear its a coil, lines like a fuckin laser. I will be getting another. I will also be selling some rotaries and coils in the next few days in order to pay for at least one more.

They are legit.

onechance
03-06-2014, 03:05 PM
mine is beeing build exited first one in europe

Deakon
03-06-2014, 03:38 PM
mine is beeing build exited first one in europe
Doubt it buddy I've just got some! Will be emailing everyone who has asked for one to be put aside and whatever is left will be put in the site. Also have mc14s, mc2s and direct drives.

Nivek is right, they are awesome. And have a bit of weight to them which works out great for lining.

darkness
03-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Deakon i have get mine now too ...you can put me down from your list

jasonadelinia
03-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Deakon, What price are they in the UK? Im very keen on getting one! If you have any spare please let me know. Thnks

Deakon
03-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Deakon, What price are they in the UK? Im very keen on getting one! If you have any spare please let me know. Thnks
Think the sidewinders are all gone buddy, but I'm going to order more right away. Haven't checked retail price, but around the £350 mark dependant on colour way .

jasonadelinia
03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Damn. Please let me know when you get more in, or put me on the list for 1. The mint green on DK website looks great!

onechance
03-06-2014, 07:03 PM
ive ordered one from dan himself and payed way more than you ask for them and i'm going to pay taxes extra to get them here :s

darkness
03-07-2014, 08:42 AM
but you get it , this machines are rare for all in europe and Deakon has only a couple to sell and i think he have a lot on the waitinglist

throwhammers
03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
350£ is almost 600$... the price is abput the same

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Deakon
03-07-2014, 01:02 PM
I hadn't checked the exchange rate, they will be £375 plus shipping, and worth every penny! Just smashed a big piece on the wife's shin like using a pen, and apparently the least painful line work she's had. I will be ordering a lot more, these will be the next big thing no doubt.

tattoosbyjamison
03-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Got mine yesterday, got to line with it on two tattoos. Very precise and smooth, the lining is effortless off the tip of the needle, which is why I was interested in this machine. i have 3 of dan's machines now, but this one is special. Might be selling off some stuff to get another, I'm going to color with it tomorrow, see how that goes.

brandonmull
03-11-2014, 10:05 AM
well now how do you actually catch one of these in dans store?

serial1313
03-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Contact him. There is e-mail & a phone number on his website.