PDA

View Full Version : Special Technique's Rotary Comparison Chart

specialtechnique
05-02-2011, 03:17 AM

Alie K
05-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Now THAT took some thought!

If you remake or update your chart - I think a Neotat is totally self-servicable. I've taken mine apart and done my own backplate conversions with ease.

Administrator
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Your definition of hand built is whether it is made by CNC or if all the parts are machined traditionally on a mill or just cut with dremmel, ban saw, etc? You may consider adding a category for CNC?

specialtechnique
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
my idea of hand built is that the person assembling the machine also cuts the parts. if you cnc the parts and assemble them by hand, that's not hand built. if a builder claims their machine is 'hand-assembled' then it sounds like dubious shady wording, and tattooists will pick up on that. i think builders need to make it clear. if the side plate and base of a machine frame are cnc, and then the builder welds them together by hand, drills the holes by hand, and spends time finishing the frame by hand, it's certainly HAND MADE. when i use clock parts or whatever on my machines, i'm obviously not making gears from scratch with a dremel... but i spend hours and get messy with the process, so i get to say the machine is hand built. if you get a box of finished frames from a factory and assemble them with some screws, that's not hand building.

some artists have an appreciation for devices that tattoo well and are made from scratch, by hand. this appreciation has been the main driving force behind my career as a builder.

special technique is about to start our first cnc production run. we will certainly be very public about the cnc aspect, and we will lower our prices accordingly.

thanks for reading my rant :]

Administrator
05-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Only mentioned this because some folks are more into the look of a CNC'ed machine. Hand built can have its own character for sure and leaving a little brazing etc can look really cool. However never using a file or some sand paper to clean stuff up, leaving flux all over the frame is irresponsible and using the excuse its hand built so its better should not fly either. You would not buy or use needles hand made or otherwise that where still covered in flux or grips that are remotely barbed.*

Nothing wrong with an appreciation for either aesthetic; dirty or clean or whatever you want to call it. I think the point of CNC vs hand milled/cut is the level of tolerances that can be achieved with respect to each machine made in a production run and the consistency.

What is your definition of user serviceable? Is this if something goes you can get replacement parts anywhere or potentially from the builder and fix it your self if you are so inclined or if the builder insists you send it back to them only for servicing only?**

*This is not me calling out any builders on this site, hand built or not its clear you all know how a file works.
**These are questions about your opinions only, don't trip ;)

specialtechnique
05-03-2011, 01:01 AM
yes i agree, too dirty is too dirty. i like hmmm at least 70 percent clean-looking machines. just my preference.

yes, user serviceable means you can easily repair the machine yourself.

my early work was not user serviceable.. usually because some parts have to be aligned dead-on. i feel that nailing it just right is too complex for clients in certain situations, so a lot of repairs on my earlier work must be done by me personally. i do this for free or for a minimal charge.

our latest machines use the same motor as the workhorse irons rotary, and can be repaired easily by the user. SUCH a relief to move in this direction :]

tattoo4satan
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
it wont let me see the chart

Administrator
05-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Are you getting an error or if you click it it just wont open?

JuNiOr
05-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanx for that chart bill it is informative.