PDA

View Full Version : hawk thunder vs spirit

crabink
03-04-2014, 12:30 AM
I have been looking at the cheyene hawk and thunder and am I right that the thunder is 4mm stroke and the spirit is 3mm
and that is the only difference?

What is the force like?
Are they hard hitting, smooth?

Sarenity Tattoo
03-04-2014, 12:36 AM
smooth and hard hitting, I recommend getting the official power supply for it, I just got one and it's made the hawk way better and smoother for me, it already was the machine I used most! I prefer short stroke so 3mm Spirit is fine. The original hawk was 2.5 I believe.

asA
03-04-2014, 12:38 AM
It's hard to line with the spirit with needles bigger than 7s. I use my thunder for lining and solid fill. And my spirit for color blendy and black an gray.

crabink
03-04-2014, 12:39 AM
It's hard to line with the spirit with needles bigger than 7s. I use my thunder for lining and solid fill. And my spirit for color blendy and black an gray.

And everything goes in smooth.. no issues ever?

Bishopbyname
03-04-2014, 03:39 AM
The Thunder has a more powerful motor too. I love my Spirit, on tight areas like forearms and calves i've lined with loose 9s! It's like using a marker if you turn the machine up a bit. Just can't use a lot of needle hang. I started using Hawks last year and within a week all our other artists had ordered 1! The real test as always is with how the work looks when healed, we've had a big increase in clients asking for colour pieces since posting healed pics of colour tattoos on our facebook and instagram!

The real issues for me are with the cartridges not with the machines. When you think about how many quality needles are out there for standard needle bars and for cartridges we have the choice of 2! 3 if you include Chinese carts. I know this is supposed to be changing soon due to the popularity of the cart system though.

As with all machines it's horses for courses, i know people that just didn't like Hawks?