PDA

View Full Version : stylus h and thunder, differences

adrian the sardinian
03-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there is someone that has used both the cheyenne thunder and the stylus h and what your opinions are. what main differences as far as speed power and so on. I have a cheyenne spirit and a thunder, my spirit is basically just catching dust since I've got the thunder, which I like very much. I'm thinking about geting a stylus h, but was wondering if anyone that tried both od them could give me some insight. thanx a lot
Adrian Rothson
www.connessionelatina.com (http://www.connessionelatina.com)
ps I hope I've posted this in the right section

Ofeloner
04-01-2014, 01:11 AM
I have the thunder, and the stylus h..both are rad as fuck and completely different..I'd say the hawk is more powerful, but its almost too powerful, there's really no need for that mutch power, but what evs, its fun, I'm not complaining, and the stylus has the perfect amount,.you should deffinetly get a stylus h..you won't regret it..

Patrick
04-01-2014, 02:31 AM
I agree with Ofeloner. The thunder is awesome, especially for linework. But it can feel like "too much" for other jobs sometimes. The stylus has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it with no issues whatsoever. And Rick, who makes them, is helpful and a seemingly pretty decent dude. Plus he's a working tattooer, as well.

inkinwi
04-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Adrian, what is it that you don't like about the spirit? I want to pick up a Cheyenne but I have never really seen anyone speak about the differences of the machines besides stroke. I dont know what of the 3 models excels at what, so on. Is the spirit more a multi pass, layering machine?

Bishopbyname
04-01-2014, 07:19 AM
First of all lets not lose sight that everyone thought the Spirit was powerful enough before the Thunder came out. Lots of top artists were doing fully saturated colour pieces with the Spirit. It IS a powerful machine, however i can understand why artists might want that bit of extra poke that the Thunder gives them. I'm waiting for a Stylus H to be delivered any day now. I've just paid £75 import tax on it!!!!!!! I hope it's good! ;)

johndameart
04-01-2014, 12:33 PM
I LOVEEEE the spirit and Stylus, I used the thunder for a bit, the only gripe was that it was a little too much for some jobs. The spirit Did just fine.

asA
04-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Hawk-2.5 stroke excels at black and grey, and color blending
Spirit-3.0 stroke excels at everything except lines
Thunder-4.0 stroke excels at line work
Stylus h/s- 4.0 stroke can both be great all around machines when ya find their sweet spot. The h machine can line pack and shade great. The s machine can also do it all, it seems you just have to hang the needles and slow down a bit. I actually find bold lining easier with the s machine, And fine lining easier with the h machine.

The cheyenne machinea also all have different counter weights on the cam it looks like they all get bigger an heavier with each machine. They all have the same thickness drive bar so they all have roughly the same organic give built in. (Which is very little) but the bar is thicker than the stylus soft and a smidge thinner than the stylus hard.

I bounce around with machines.... but always end up back using my stylus h/s. Best all around machines for my way of tattooing.

Bishopbyname
04-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Got my Stylus H the other day. I've used it for everything and it performs very well! Couldn't believe the size of it! It's so small! I did find it a little difficult to turn the grip and extend the hang once i'd bagged it up? Any advice from other Stylus users would be great. :confused:

e_Bangs
04-06-2014, 02:19 PM
I put a and d on the rubber gasket a little bit

asA
04-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Depending on how you bag it it can be a tad difficult to twist the grip because the bag will only let you twist it a tiny bit. I've gotten used to it, it's kinda nice that it's not so easy for it to click one or two clicks on accident like the cheyenne hawks do when you're not paying attention.

e_Bangs
04-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Asa you use true tube disposable grips?

asA
04-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Yeah sometimes... I think the stylus grip 1 and 1/8 inch is about perfect though without the true grip.. I mostly use those on my 1 inch Cheyenne grips.

B.C. Smith
04-07-2014, 12:11 AM
I haven't used the stylus, but I love the Thunder...I think its the best machine I've ever used.

inkinwi
05-16-2014, 02:00 PM
I've been bagging mine in 2 sections so I can twist the grip. Ill tape the clipcord cover on the body of the machine just before the point it meets the grip, then I will slip another shorter piece of cover over the grip and overlap the joint a little bit, then a true grip, barrier film or just run like that. You can twist the grip no problems that way