PDA

View Full Version : Stigma Motors

JohnnyChaos
10-17-2010, 12:59 PM
2 days ago I got a new Hyper v2 and noticed that it speeds up very slightly over a few seconds when I first use it after any decent lenght of time.
In less than 1 min it's up to speed and is then smooth and consistent.

It's perfectly usable, and like I say it's not a massive increase. but doesn't seem right to me!
Mainly cos after about 6months useage my Bizarre started to experience speed fluctuations and had to send it back for replacement motor.

Are there any hyper v2 users here? Anyone else had this?
I know stigma wil fix it if need be, and have mailed them, but it's still pretty crap if a new machine has arrived faulty.

adamo
10-17-2010, 01:57 PM
A friend of mine had the same fluctuations with his bizarre but it was because he had over oiled it & some oil had got into the motor, this was before they recommended using synthetic grease, the Stigma people were very good & fast with fixing it for him though.

JohnnyChaos
10-17-2010, 02:06 PM
That's exactly the problem with my bizarre. Not that it was ever actually over oiled. Oil will naturally get in anything it can.
But this hyper is new and the only grease on it is what they put on in the factory

JohnnyChaos
10-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Just been told it might need waring in for a few hours. I'll give it a good run and see how it is. Like I say it does settle down pretty quick and is then smooth and consistent.

Alie K
10-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Wow, Johnny - that's pretty interesting about your machine. You'll have to post what happens after you've been using it for a while. I'd like to know how it settles in.

JohnnyChaos
10-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Yeah apparently the swashplate is pretty tight for the first few hours. Obviously my Bizarre doesn't have a swashplate (and my v1 hyper wasn't new) so it's not something I've experienced before. Shame I'm on holiday now and won't get to use it for 2 weeks!

JohnnyChaos
03-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Thought I should say that the machine did loosen up eventually, but did take quite a bit longer than they told me it would. It's my fave machine now, although I do think the bizzare has a little more "give"

slicksteel
03-22-2011, 05:21 PM
I have notice most rotarys have a a few hours of breakin.

aazirus
05-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi.. sorry to bring up an old topic but this is the most relevant place for me to post this issue I think!

I have 2 Hyper v2's (both brand new & got them about a month or so apart - one in about March '11 & one about April '11).. the first of which I have always been happy with the way it runs from the day I got it.. being my first machine of this kind I didn't have anything to compare it to.. until I received my 2nd Hyper.

The 2nd Hyper v2 I received has always run rather differently from my 1st one.. when run at the same voltage (on a Critical CX-2) as my 1st Hyper it runs a fair bit slower & the action of the swashplate seems tighter & it seems to slow down a bit here and there or at least it sounds like it to the ear & seems so when being used; it doesnt seem to purr quite like the other one either(the sound while it runs isn't as pleasing).

On the other hand my 1st Hyper - the one that runs how I expect they should do - the swashplate seems looser & freer moving with more action & smoother running with a constant speed.

Having read this thread regarding swashplates possibly being tight to start with or these machines having a break-in period.. at a guess the machine that I feel is being a bit problematic has probably had between 10-20 hours use.. can it take longer than that to loosen up possibly? The 1st machine that runs nice has always run nicely & the same from the first minute of use.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

(This is my first post & I haven't introduced myself yet - I'll do that now quickly rather than make a fuss & announce my arrival in the other forum.)

I'm Aaron & I've been tattooing for about a year. My favourite style is Japanese but I enjoy anything really that allows artistic expression. I hate doing fiddly-arse script that people insist should be borderline too small for it to hold up for any amount of time! & around the bloody wrist! Try getting that transfer on 1st time! (or 5th) I decline those requests now..

I came across this forum in my hunt for rotary machines & am on the look out to add some to my arsenal of mostly coil machines. I'm interested in some of the benefits of rotaries - less weight & vibration to save the hands & seemingly causing less trauma to the skin during the tattoo process.. sounds good to me - I'm particularly interested if there's any rotaries that'll do a good job of lining - sometimes my wrist could do with it!

I like the look of the Rapier II but I use a clipcord.. think I read there could be a clipcord version at some point though.

I've rambled on a bit.. that's enough!

Cheers.

JohnnyChaos
05-06-2011, 07:01 AM
It seemed to take my hyper ages to "run-in". I used to leave it running while I did the rest of my setup so it was at full speed once I was ready to start.
I did consider taking it apart and slackening it off my self, but it did improve eventually.

But it was always a case of giving it a min to get up to full speed. It never slowed down again while working unless it was left for a while.
If it's doing that I'd contact Stigma directly. They are good guys to talk too.

aazirus
05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Johnny.

I tried running the dodgy Hyper v2 today on my Critical CX-2 & actually looked at the readouts on the PSU.. I don't usually read the digital display as I run machines by how they sound & feel.. but it was interesting that the readouts were bouncing around all over the place (speed in hertz was going anywhere from 30hz to 130hz & the Duty & whatever else was changing about aswell - bearing in mind the machine was unloaded & not given any resistance while the numbers were changing all over the place).

I then did the same with the Hyper v2 that runs nice - the read-outs didn't changed an iota, they were completely constant while running it in the same fashion as the dodgy one. I'm pretty sure this is how it should be.

Bare in mind I'm not clued up about the various read-outs - all I know is one keeps consistent numbers displayed whilst the other one fluctuates all over the place. I'm not sure how the Critical CX-2 deals with rotary or hybrid machines & whether the read-outs are completely relevant & if they're an accurate translation of what is really going on.

I'll get in touch with Stigma soon to try & get to the bottom of it I suppose!

Thanks.

Administrator
05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
are you running a clipcord or RCA for the test?

aazirus
05-06-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm using a Talons clipcord.

Excellent forum by the way!

JohnnyChaos
05-06-2011, 07:22 PM
As far as I know all the other numbers will be totally random with any rotary.