PDA

View Full Version : Cheyenne thunder vs spirit

Ofeloner
05-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Can anyone tell me the differences between these two machines? Please and thank you. :) peace in the mid east,,,

Patrick
05-07-2014, 10:08 PM
The thunder has a longer stroke (around 4mm, I believe) and a more powerful motor. It's great for lining and color packing. The spirit is shorter stroke (3mm?) and a motor that's not quite as slammin' as the thunder. It's great for black and grey and color blends. They can both be used for jus about everything though. Just depends on what you like and how you work.

billannand
05-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Do they run as fast as the flite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick
05-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Not sure what you mean by "as fast as" but the power band on both is pretty wide. 6-13 volts is more than a lot of rotaries have. And at 11-12 volts they're going pretty darn fast.

billannand
05-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Awesome man thanks. I have been using fk machines for a long while and am used to lower volts. I have a flite and have been wondering about the hawk but not sure of what one to grab.

cagelavey
05-22-2014, 02:22 AM
not trying to highjack the thread but since they are being discussed, how does the spirit do for lining, you know with only having a 3m stroke?

nathanhamilton89
05-22-2014, 04:55 AM
spirit for lining not good to line with a spirit you need to alter your technique you need to pull instead of push the line and you need to run it fast which if your line me and have a slow hand for lining it doesnt feel right thunder is a better liner you can go any direction or speed and it wont snag in the skin and because of the more powerful motor you can feel the power and feel what you are doing its great and for solid colour in difficult places its a god send for sure.. if i want colour blend or do black and grey spirit if i want solid lines and to pack colour in like a bitch thunder

bluerocker
05-22-2014, 05:43 AM
I'm using the thunder for everything now...have the spirit and og hawk...and there not getting a look in...definitely one of the best machines I've used

skinmech
05-22-2014, 06:57 AM
The Spirit is awesome for smooth B&G or building up "blends"..However,imo, the thunder is a better all rounder....

darkness
05-22-2014, 07:05 AM
the thunder have more stroke (4mm) and a bigger cam inside to get a better push ,because this its better for lining and solid color ...i have notice that in newer thunders the cam always gets bigger :)) to have more and more pushing power

billannand
05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
So the hawk line does not have an adjustable stroke? And is pretty well a dd?

billannand
05-22-2014, 09:37 AM
For both models

sacredsouls
05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Yes the stroke is not adjustable. The og hawk is 2.5 the spirit is 3mm and the thunder is 4mm they are basically a dd but the bar has the slightest touch of give thru slightly bending barely anything and some back off due to the spring in the cartridge.

nathanhamilton89
05-22-2014, 10:14 AM
guys a cheyenne is a direct drive rotary tecnically you have to use the machine the same way as a direct drive.. the only thing different between it and your standard direct drive is motor, its design around cartridges and its can reach really really fast CPS rate before the motor shuts down

slicksteel
05-22-2014, 12:17 PM
So the hawk line does not have an adjustable stroke? And is pretty well a dd?

you adjust the depth with the grip-the same as moving a standard tube up in down in the vice to set to how much you want to protrude past the tip.But on a direct drive it does make a big difference how what application you are try to achieve. So you can pretty much adjust on the fly. But hawk does make a grip like this now that can be used on any other brand of direct drive made so you get those same advantages. One advantage of the hawks is they are sealed so they are quiet and easy to wipe down-no exposed cams etc.

cagelavey
05-22-2014, 12:54 PM
i love to give the thunder a go, just hard to get one on trade and don't have the flow to just flat out buy it. i wish i could trade my other halo back to gaston for one of the direkts i here they are comparable in function. l'll figure out a way just got to get some money stock piled. i like my halo i just love trying other machines. and i am looking for good rotary liner,but one with style and function. like the new cutback gen 8's or a thunder i just haven't been able to love my halo for lining. gets he job done just looking for something effortless. love the halo for shading and color but i need that miracle liner.

cagelavey
05-22-2014, 12:55 PM
i have a spirit coming from austraila on trade, now i have a bunch of good shaders and color machines but no epic liner

sacredsouls
05-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Cagelavey look into a rw classic. I have one it is hands down the easiest rotary liner I have used

ATS
05-22-2014, 02:54 PM
When I bought my Kubin direct drive, I could have bought a thunder as the guy had both to sell.. Initially I wanted the thunder, but I changed my mind and bought the Kubin instead. I bought it with an og Cheyenne grip and adaptor.. I wanted more options than just the cart system, and to be fair even though I still haven't tried a thunder I'm so happy with my Kubin dd.. It's great for lining, packing and shading.. I've also got a Halo and I love that too, but like you Cagelavey not so much for lining.. I can line with it but not as well as the Kubin.. I think It's the weight and zero give aspect that makes the difference.. Also I haven't tried the Halo with carts..
I just seem to really love the direct drive way.. I'm waiting on a HM adjustable to arrive atm.. really looking forward to trying that out too.

Steakndchicks
11-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Anybody have an suggestions for how to run your thunder when wanting to do color and multiple passes . Running a critical

Zapp
11-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Anybody have an suggestions for how to run your thunder when wanting to do color and multiple passes . Running a critical

Just use - or +

nathanhamilton89
11-01-2014, 09:50 PM
The machines hit is always the same it hits just as hard at 60-160 on the cheyenne pu supply or on a normal supply either... Only thing that changes it hand speed but because it hits quite hard I think less cps is best doesn't need to hit the same spot as many times I line again on a cheyenne power supply at 70 shade at 80 and colour at 90 or sown times shade at 90 depending on the piece if it's something I'm not sure about il turn it down.. The real trick to mastering black and grey with a hawk start doing ball point pen drawins train your hand and thinking in that technique and you will use it more effectively or even just a 4b pencil which I prefer use just that one pencil no blending tools or anything just that pencil or pen paper and pressure variations along with utilising lights and dark and you will find a cheyenne Thunder for spirit so much easier to use

Joshuarowlands
11-03-2014, 04:24 AM
How come a sidewinder lines well at a lower stroke. While other machines seem to thrive at a longer stroke?

Jack Steel
11-03-2014, 10:30 AM
hey guys ,my two cents ....

the motor in all cheyenne machines are the same , not more powerfull or fast , its all the faulhaber 17x24 9volt
as nathan claimes he is mistaken ...
if u run a thunder at 7volt , the punch and speed is lees then on 12volt , so is it with every machine out there!
the speed of the motor at 9volt is about 8000rpm+- so if u do the calculations , that around 120hz ..
same goes either for the spirit or thunder , nothing realy changed in between but the 1mm stroke , and more flywheel then in a spirit
i personally do not like the vibration a thunder gives on the muscles , dunno if that's a thing , or if i'm to beefy

cheers

Patrick
11-03-2014, 07:51 PM
hey guys ,my two cents ....

the motor in all cheyenne machines are the same , not more powerfull or fast , its all the faulhaber 17x24 9volt
as nathan claimes he is mistaken ...
if u run a thunder at 7volt , the punch and speed is lees then on 12volt , so is it with every machine out there!
the speed of the motor at 9volt is about 8000rpm+- so if u do the calculations , that around 120hz ..
same goes either for the spirit or thunder , nothing realy changed in between but the 1mm stroke , and more flywheel then in a spirit
i personally do not like the vibration a thunder gives on the muscles , dunno if that's a thing , or if i'm to beefy

cheers

Interesting. I guess the extra mm and bigger flywheel must make a huge difference. 'Cause they both feel drastically different when tattooing. To me, anyway.