PDA

View Full Version : Dan kubin mc-14 review

Joshuarowlands
05-08-2014, 12:02 AM
So my first experience with a rotary was the mc-14. I have to say the first go at it, I absolutely hated it. Was very foreign and just uncomfortable. I set it up for a wrist tattoo on my significant other. Was going to use it at 3.5 mm for smooth black and grey. Started outlining the piece, and I broke a spring on my coil machine. Growing frustrated I set up another coil machine and snapped another spring. The odds of that ever happening again in my life are slim to none, but it was rather frustrating to say the least. So about halfway through the outline I said to hell with it.

I snagged up the mc, and put a 5 liner in it, couldn't pull a line. Made a few passes, being cautious as the no give kind of scared me a bit. Struggled through it and then set up the shader. Shading went a bit slower then usual and I was still just over stressed so I took a moment to myself, and thankfully could be honest with my significant other than I was struggling a bit.

This review seems like it is going in a bad direction but it is really rather the opposite. Most of the rotary lines fell out of the tattoo, the shading was very light, and the dotwork I did was also very light. Ok nice, I can get back into this.

Today, after getting a better hang of the mc-14 I set it up for a loose 5 liner, at the 4 mm stroke. Outlined most of the lines single pass with no issues at all. Wrists are a always a bugger, so a few lines I made an entire fill pass on. Switched over to a 3 for the dotwork and drop the volts to around 4.5. Dotwork that was smoother than any i I have done. Set up a 5 mag for some solid black fill, more than one pass to get it solid, but that was me and not the machine. Thing ran beautifully with every thing I did. Now the only problem I have is I need a need another. Great machine, bit of a learning curve transitioning to, but overall it was well worth the buy. I redid the whole tattoo in about an hour today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshuarowlands
05-08-2014, 01:25 AM
Here's a pic of the tattoo didn't even think to post one kind of shiny http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/u6u8a7ez.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Iron Machines
05-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Nice work, cool