PDA

View Full Version : Something Fishy?

peter clements
05-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Take a look at this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STIGMA-TRANCE-ROTARY-TATTOO-MACHINE-/230619560845?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Tattoos_BodyArt_S M&hash=item35b1ff3b8d

I've never heard of a stigma "Trance" and I've visited the Stigma website on a regular basis since it started. Some sort of early prototype? What are we looking at here?

elbo
05-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Take a look at this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STIGMA-TRANCE-ROTARY-TATTOO-MACHINE-/230619560845?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Tattoos_BodyArt_S M&hash=item35b1ff3b8d

I've never heard of a stigma "Trance" and I've visited the Stigma website on a regular basis since it started. Some sort of early prototype? What are we looking at here?

Stigma did do the trance for a short while...i know cos i was going to buy one from them when they had them on their site...i dont think they carried them for long..you have to ask yourself "why did they stop making them?" hmmm possible they had a lot of problems with them?..

elbo
05-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Stigma have had their problems with their machines...the hyper v1 ,v2 and bizarre used to come with silicone oil and instructions recommended you oil certain parts...the result was many stigmas went wrong as the oil found its way into the motors and wrecked them!..i think im right in saying that they changed the bearing on the v2 to a sealed unit and ditched the oiling of machines...I know many people who had to send their machines back because the oil had damaged the motors making them run sloppy and noisey...Dont get me wrong im not slating stigma, but as one artist once said"it feels like im paying top dollar to fieldtest a machine that hasnt proven itself over time"...maybe the trance had its problems too!

peter clements
05-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Elbo-very interesting, you make some very valid points. It's just a feeling with me, but I think Stigma are going to get pushed out of the way. I have a Hyper V2 and believe me,I've enjoyed the machine, but now I tend to pick up all my other Rotaries because they can do the jobs the Hyper does aswell if not better (my short stroke Dragonfly is the best B&G machine I have ever used). My Stigmas will be going to the Bay when I get off my ass to do it, at least you get your money back on them if not more.

elbo
05-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Elbo-very interesting, you make some very valid points. It's just a feeling with me, but I think Stigma are going to get pushed out of the way. I have a Hyper V2 and believe me,I've enjoyed the machine, but now I tend to pick up all my other Rotaries because they can do the jobs the Hyper does aswell if not better (my short stroke Dragonfly is the best B&G machine I have ever used). My Stigmas will be going to the Bay when I get off my ass to do it, at least you get your money back on them if not more.

Yeh you will get ya money back...all those wanna be's want them cos devries and porter use em!...ha ha they dont realise those guys can tattoo amazing with a toothpick if they want to...i loved my hypers for a while but have found the swash and rapier to be more consistant in performance...amazes me how the hyper can be heard speeding up and down when lining at high volts...maybe why artists have mixed results with lining...hey what ever happened to the basic rotary stigma did?

elbo
05-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Was it called the tyranno???? or something like that?

slicksteel
05-14-2011, 11:36 PM
yep thats the one and they had one more-cant member the name -seems like they just put the product out with a crazy price tag field testing on as they go.

Administrator
05-15-2011, 01:42 AM
That may be the one that had give built into the crank arm on the cam.

Alie K
05-15-2011, 02:09 AM
I'd say, if you have one, and you aren't absolutely thrilled with it, DITCH it while people still want them. There are so many rotaries out there now that seem to make the stigma obsolete (many at half the price). No use holding onto something you don't use anymore....

peter clements
05-15-2011, 08:19 AM
yep thats the one and they had one more-cant member the name -seems like they just put the product out with a crazy price tag field testing on as they go.

There was one called "Inferno" aswell.

Tha Kuya
05-30-2011, 06:36 PM
I owned one of these...had to send it back to get contacts replace...ended up in customs and they tried to charge me $450 to get it released, i said keep it and i hope u choke on it! They had swiss motors then and switched to maxon. Great machine...did everything with it, miss that bad boy!

JohnnyChaos
05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
wasn't it the stigma vortex that had the give bits on the crank arm?

I had to have my bizarre motor replaced cos of the oil problem and know quite a few other artists who had the same thing. Makes me wary for buying an old stigma.