PDA

View Full Version : Sidewinder

Ofeloner
06-08-2014, 08:31 AM
So I recently purchased and received a Dan Kubin sidewinder and that shizznits was sooooo amazing I had to share..when it came it was nice and neatly securely packed in a box. The machine was a lot tinyr than I had anticipated, but the perfect wait.not to light, not to heavy..and the machine lined like a bat outta hell!!.by far thee best liner I have ever used,(ive only tryd a 5 round so far), its crazy to say but I do agree that it lines better than a lot of coils I've used, , this all being said , I strongly urge all of yallz to get this amamazing as fuck peice of machinery,, changed my life..I have nuthing bad to say about this machine...its better than anything I have ever tryd,, and I've tryd A LOT..peace.

cagelavey
06-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Can you use carts with it? Im cart only

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

Ofeloner
06-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Naw,, carts will fuck this machine up..from what I hear.

nivek
06-08-2014, 11:04 AM
THey are great for shading as well.

darkness
06-08-2014, 07:51 PM
i have try carts , dan say no but i have try it on some tattoos and it works without any issue - have only try ttech for less tension as the cheyenne

poleson
06-09-2014, 12:58 AM
It hits a little too hard for me to get smooth b&g shading but for packing it's my go to. I packed black on the ribs with a sidewinder and a 17 mag. It looks like it hurts more than my halo or vivace but it packs twice as fast and heals better too. Guess I need a second one because it's my go to liner as well.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Ofeloner
06-09-2014, 08:19 AM
It hits a little too hard for me to get smooth b&g shading but for packing it's my go to. I packed black on the ribs with a sidewinder and a 17 mag. It looks like it hurts more than my halo or vivace but it packs twice as fast and heals better too. Guess I need a second one because it's my go to liner as well.

So you know you can adjust the hit,? I'm sure if u played with it, it'd be a nice b/g shader..

poleson
06-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Yeah I may turn the screws and see how it shades. I love the way it runs for lining and packing so I don't really want to mess with it. Eventually they all need a retune. I'll mess with it then.

nivek
06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Yes you can adjust the hit - and the stroke - front screw adjusts the hit the front (little screw in the hole that needs hex key) adjusts the stroke lenght and a bit of the hit. I have gotten mine to run as low as 3.4 and tend not to go over 5. I am not sure how or if it will effect the life of the motor but it works for me.

Dan says in the letter that comes with it after it has been worked it that it will probally need a bit of tweeking.

If you count the rotations as you adjust it, it makes it easier to get back to where it was.

Haven't tried it for b and grey yet...

darkness
06-09-2014, 05:00 PM
I most use 5.5 to 6 v for lining and 3.2 stroke :-)

poleson
06-22-2014, 02:25 PM
I have used my sidewinder almost everyday for about a month. I noticed it slowly and consistently seemed to grow a slightly longer stroke and the hit became noticeably softer. This became very obvious to me smack in the middle of a 6 hr lining session on the bicep. But I was able to retune it within 2 minutes and voila, I had my sharpie back.

As for volts, I started at 7 but ended up with some slightly brailed lines on my own shin. I figure that's about worst case scenario.... Lining with color, on the shallow tight bonie shin, with a 5 tight, at 7 V. I now go to 6 V for that kind of situation. That's why we guinea pig on ourselves first.

Barrett Russell
06-23-2014, 06:53 PM
i just got one of these, and I must say it is quite the machine. I found mine works best at around 3.4mm. I am not sure the duty this thing gives but it is not a 50/50 and it lines off the needle tip unlike any rotary i have used, even the off duty stingray. I don't see any stroke growth while tattooing but for some reason with this machine i barely need to graze the skin to get go saturation, and if i do go a little deep I havent had blowout really either, this may be due to a rather slow speed it excels at. By ear i would think I am lining at around 100hps but i can lay them quick as if I was running a coil at 130+. I look forward to seeing where this machine goes in the future as far as design is concerned. my only desired would be for more give option, but I am a give freak when it comes to lining.

poleson
07-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Update, Once my sidewinder stopped sounding chattery and coil like and started sounding more quiet I also noticed the hit was much softer. I knew it was time to retune. I took the thing apart and figured out how it works. It is truely a unique original action. It seems simple enough, like a teeter totter where each of the two set screws restricts how far up or down the A-bar travels. It's truely ingenious.
When you go to tune, it's much easier to set the top screw first to get your desired stroke and then twist the bottom screw to sound and strength of hit with your thumb on the grommet.

poleson
07-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I have also warmed up to it for BnG. I have a 3.2 mm stroke and have it hitting pretty hard. I can use it for lining and bug pin mag work with the same tuning at 5.9V. It's just so efficient and accurate and ez to use.

denrbyn
09-02-2014, 04:37 PM
25920I got this beauty recently and used it for the first time the other day and loved it. I did run it with carts and saw no problems, ran like a champ used it with 7rl and 13m packs with ease however mine is gold platted and i would say a bit heavier than regular sidewinders but the weight didnt bother me too much you quickly get used to that. overall a damn good machine

poleson
09-03-2014, 12:34 AM
That machine is gorgeous denrbyn!

Mission Tattoo
09-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Can this machine be set up with RCA ?

denrbyn
09-03-2014, 12:53 AM
thanks poleson and yes you can make it rca but im keeping this one original

benhameen
09-05-2014, 06:45 PM
This machine is a total game changer. I bought one. Used it. Then sold a ton of my other machines to get another and a couple MC-14s. That's all I use now and can't imagine going back to anything else. Best liner EVER. It makes it so effortless even on the shittiest places to tattoo. Fine lining or 14 rounds. Fuckin badass machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Iron Machines
09-05-2014, 07:08 PM
HEY POLESON, u have a pic of the OUTLINE TATTOO u done ??? u say 6 hours of line on the BICEP ????

nivek
09-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Can this machine be set up with RCA ?

Yes - takes a bit of tinkering but yes - all 3 of mine are RCA. I can post pic but its pretty easy.

serial1313
09-05-2014, 08:27 PM
You can get them from Kubin with RCA. It blocks you from being able to use a clip cord though.

nivek
09-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Dan sells the AL bro adaptors now he doesnt make them with RCA (when I got mine) but the Eikon ones work well