PDA

View Full Version : need advice on machine building

denrbyn
06-28-2014, 03:01 AM
Im looking to build a few machines for myself and some of the guys at the shop and was looking for advice from the ones who know how. First what finishes are good? Would cerakote be acceptable? And if I did not want to go with shrink wrap tubing what can I use to seal the coils? Someone told me clear nail polish... any other tips would be greatly appreciated.Those were my main curiosities though.

OwlsDen
06-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Sounds like a lot of coil questions for a rotary forum. Haha.

Some people use clear polyurethane as a coating for coils. I would test some on your wire first and make sure it won't eat the enamel off. Otherwise it looks much better than shrink warp.

As far as finishes go, I am a big fan of blackened steel. Wether it is torch blackened or done with a product like gun black.

If you aren't using steel then I would suggest a good polish and let the metal patina naturally such as brass or bronze.

denrbyn
06-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Right on and not a bad idea on the wife test subject lol

nivek
06-29-2014, 11:41 AM
You can use a spray clearcoat but its messy any good lacquer can work fine, Finish has never been a concern for me. Found lining everything up and getting the rest of the machine trickier.

denrbyn
06-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Cool thanks for the info

Panos tattoo
06-29-2014, 04:33 PM
im not sayin this in a hostyle way so dont get me wrong but you look too young to have experience through tattooing to start building machines.i mean a tattooist that knows more than the average joe on machines would have the knowladge and preferences to put down on a project and build his own machine.plus doesnt machine building have apprenticeship like tattooing?if i wanted to become a machine builder i would try to get a donkey job if not an apprenticeship with a builder.and IF i gained his trust he would gladly share some of his secrets.i dont know maybe im more nostalgic or old school guy.the forum is litteraly like an encyclopedia that the members share for new equipment and products and their experiences and reviews for them.the questions you ask are A B C's on the field you want to follow.thats what made me say what i said.

Bully Jey
06-30-2014, 12:49 AM
In a way, I sorta agree with Panos Tattoos. But only sort of, because honestly, there's a ton of info out there on how to build coil machines. Maybe you've already been taught the basics, but you're asking questions that an experienced builder would've taught you from the get go. That being said, if your geometry is solid and everything is lined up, doing up the coils nice is pretty simple and there's hundreds of ways to do it, but I think my favorite is the dipped in shellac look. Again, I'm not bashing you for asking questions, just curious if your sorta self taught or what.

denrbyn
06-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Well thanks for your 2 cents. I don't know what you consider "young" to be, im 30. My 2 questions were not how to build machines. I know how, my questions were regarding finish and coil sealers. But thanks again

denrbyn
06-30-2014, 01:43 AM
I didn't know you had to be a certain age to build something

skinmech
06-30-2014, 04:17 AM
Will you be winding the layers yourself..?

denrbyn
06-30-2014, 04:52 AM
I will be winding the coils myself yes.

skinmech
06-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Depending on how "tight" your layers are can determine the finish on the coils.These Wes ones are hit with a coat of h/d varnish, on each individual layer, kiln dried for 4 hours, finish coat is retouched/recoated if needed then another 4 hours in the kiln, the finish is almost like glass, however, your layers need to be perfect for any clear coat finish, even clear shrink wrap.....25316....And depending on the frame finish, Electrical tape and Hockey Tape are still keen favourites...Try various varnishes, and various finishing techniques, just like tattooing, everyone likes different things..

Heath
06-30-2014, 10:04 AM
The best for leather wraps, cigar wraps, or bank notes is the ultra clear heat shrink wrap. It doesn't discolor everything like varnish does.

denrbyn
06-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Good to know thanks

nivek
07-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Oddly, as part of my apprenticeship - I was taught how to make machines, of course first ones SUCKED but knowing everything about machines can never hurt. Each one can be a learning experience.

peezie
07-01-2014, 11:59 PM
cerakote and gun kote are top notch coatings for frames. Gun blue for steel (not stainless though) frames work awesome too. It's actually deceiving as it actually turns it black instantly. Prepping is key to any finish though. Get it real clean before any coating. Autopaint works awesome but prep and primer it first and keep it covered so no dust dries on the finish. Good luck bro.