PDA

View Full Version : Cartridges

brandonmull
08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Since i have never used or seen these things, can someone give me a
rundown on why they are worth the money and what makes them better
than traditional needle and tubes? It seems to me as another created market just
to make the cost of tattooing rise.

TattooDave
08-10-2014, 02:00 PM
I don't use them also , i'm staying with my Old school stainless steel tubes and tips . I have allot of them! Maybe cards are more easy on conventions. And travelling.

Mog
08-10-2014, 02:34 PM
I love them but they are an expensive habit. I love how the needle perfectly fits the tube with no play or ink flow issues. I love the consistency of them. I love being able to complete an entire tattoo with just one machine, quickly switching between needle groupings. And yes I love them for conventions. But I don't love the cost, plus the customs fees I get hit with from being in the uk, so I do try to only use them for larger work.

cagelavey
08-10-2014, 09:46 PM
I don't think they are much more expensive than high end quality needles, 22-27.00 a box? but they are laser straight, no wobble, always set flush in the tip, so consistent, and being able to go from liner to mag, to liner, to mag with the flick of the wrist without multiple set-ups is worth it all by its self. for those who like em, they get it, for those who don't, just don't. its nice to have the option though, and I think its just a natural progression into the rotary world. I honestly haven't seen a single draw back to using them, only advantage in abundance. jmho

Heath
08-10-2014, 11:03 PM
None of my favorite famous tattoo artists I like use them, and they are doing just fine. To me it's all hype. Look at Victor Portugal...the man can tattoo circles around any of us and he uses about 5-6 different traditional set-up coils. The machines don't make the artist, so why waste the money? To look cool I guess. If someone is seriously gonna sit here and say switching a cartridge out from a 7 liner, to a 15 curved mag, then to a 14 round shader is any faster than unplugging and replugging an RCA....they're out of their minds. MAYBE if they were close in price to needles/steel tubes that I use...I'd consider, but they are nowhere close to what I pay for needles. It's like the guys who say "Mithra needles are so much better than any other needles."

Shit....buy me a box of Element needles and I can do the same tattoo at the same speed with the same heal time for 1/2 the price of the Mithras. I'm over the hype of stuff like this and I'm not even 30 yet haha.

asA
08-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Setting up bagging and keeping 5-6 machines running for a tattoo most definitely takes way more time than having one Cheyenne machine set up and 7 carts. Spend 7 dollars on carts and make 500$-700$ for the tattoo.... seems like a small amount. Also you can tattoo for a half hour longer cause you're not trying to set up bag and maintain regular set ups. Carts aren't a hype thing for me they save me time and money.

cagelavey
08-10-2014, 11:41 PM
like I said not for everyone, and that's cool. but I never once said that they make you tattoo better, lol. and just as many player ass artist use carts as the ones who do not. its not a pissing contest, lol. but no matter the view, mine or any others, if it was all hype they would surely fade away at some point, and they certainly aren't showing any signs of slowing. I didn't start using carts because I thought that I would look cool, or to impress anyone. I test new equipment with an open unbiased mind and stick with what works for me, period. I could care less if anyone else used them. I like them for the reasons I stated nothing more. but to each is their own, I just continually try to evolve in technique, equipment, and experience. I wont look at any new equipment with any preconceived notions as to its worth until I know them to be unbeneficial from my own personal experience, others opinions influence my decisions very little, just my two cents

peter clements
08-11-2014, 05:17 AM
I've been tattooing since 1978, of course I've used all types of things, T Techs I love em, simple as.

brandonmull
08-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Well so far it seems the consensus is they are smooth and flush with the tip,
that you can switch between sizes with one machine instead of multiples. I havent yet
heard the magic words that make want to invest in them yet.... Thanks guys!!!!

peter clements
08-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Well so far it seems the consensus is they are smooth and flush with the tip,
that you can switch between sizes with one machine instead of multiples. I havent yet
heard the magic words that make want to invest in them yet.... Thanks guys!!!!

What "Magic" words do you refer to Brandon ? Now I am intrigued, I thaught there are no "Magic" things in tattooing only good praticality and application.

brandonmull
08-11-2014, 07:00 PM
ohhh there is magic, when your fingers light up and your work shines from knowing the setup is right!

cagelavey
08-12-2014, 07:23 PM
the best thing to do is just try em, then you see the "magic" or you don't. but taking anyones word for it pro/no isn't going to instill that "magic" feeling. no matter what piece of equipment you use, you cant know if that is the one thing you wanted but just didn't know it until you give it a day in court. then you shine with it or you don't, wont mean anything to anyone but you, :-)

ATS
08-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Like others are saying.. It REALLY is a personal preference thing..
And personally I love carts.. T Techs don't run out more expensive, esp if you're all disposable.
Ok why do I use them?
1. Consistency (always the exact same set up every day, no variation of bending bars, rubber bands, etc.. always good ink flow etc)
2. Convenience (quick changes between needle grouping, less machine set ups etc.. more space on work station)
3. Quality (almost never find a duff one)
4. Less waste (not only in the needle/cart realm, but also in not using multiple machine bags, cord covers, packaging etc)
5. Time saving (setting up, changing over, cleaning up,)
6. Coz they're cool as fuck! ;)
My 2 cents

brandonmull
08-13-2014, 08:56 AM
is there a video on here showing how to set them up? i truly have never laid eyes on these before and have no clue how to use them.

cagelavey
08-13-2014, 06:11 PM
hey im downloading a short lil video for you, I used my dslr camera to do it thow, and had it set on hd, and the only way I know how to put a vid on here is with the url, so in any event im uploading the vid to youtube so I can copy the url to the forum. is there a faster way to transfer the vid to the forum other than that? never did a video on here before, lol. any help would be appreciated because its taking like 157min this way, lol

Patrick
08-13-2014, 08:08 PM
You can copy the link from YouTube, Brandon. And paste it here. Should work,no problem.

Patrick
08-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Oops, I meant cagelavey. Sorry.

hellraiser6662
08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
I use flitev2 with t-tech and the odd Che carts. It's cut my set up time by half if not more. When you are using them and you think 'hell I just need a 8 rd to fill in' 2 seconds and it out of the pack and you are tattooing easy. And it's no more cleaning grips n tips. And if you use t-tech you can replace the needles with any you like if needs be. I see it no more expensive than having normal needles. It saves me time so it pays for it self that way.

cagelavey
08-14-2014, 02:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqNhIbOZo5s

DougHardy
08-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Good video! You hit the nail on the head, one cannot really know unless one tries... last year I went on a "rotary bonanza" and purchased a shitload of different machines. Stylus, Thunder, Halo, Ego v.1, Kubin MC2, Kubin Max, Kubin Sidewinder, Inkjecta Flite 2.1, D20, and probably a couple more I'm forgetting at this time. In the end, I actually thought each had it's good and bad points (and by bad I honestly just think it was a total personal preference thing), but I came down to mostly using the Inkjectas for cartridges and the Kubins for traditional needle bars. I also STILL use lots of my coil machines (and purchase some, my most recent being one of Seth's v.2 Wiener Dogs) and think knowing what is out there and seeing what they are like is a huge benefit.
For example, the Thunder was one of the first rotaries I tried, and I have to say that it worked great, and I could definitely tattoo long periods of time without my wrists and hands getting tired. But there was something that just didn't click with me. In the end, it's not the arrow, but the Indian. Don't just scoff at something because you haven't tried it.
Meanwhile, I've actually loaned my Inkjectas to a few friends locally who wanted to check them out and they have been sold on them. No I'm not going to mail anyone any of my machines to loan haha.

brandonmull
08-15-2014, 07:19 PM
now that was what i needed to see! thanks man! i feel special now!! someone made a video for ME thats on youtube!! hahaha. ok one more question, the cart tips are disposable right? well how about the grips? do you have to buy a bunch of those tot autoclave or what?

cagelavey
08-15-2014, 08:08 PM
the t-tech grips are autoclaveable, the entire cartridge (needle/casing) is completely disposable. there are some bad ass disposable cart. grips on the market (fkirons/spectra, tatsoul, bishop rotary) and even bez from ego has some. so you can go disposable or you can go autoclavable, really up to the artist preference,
but if cutting down on buying tubes is an issue for you and one of the reasons you would like a t-tech system then id go autoclavable. in any event, I hope you give em a shot if only to see what the "hype" is all about,i'd love t know what you think, bro, have a good night everyone

cagelavey
08-15-2014, 08:45 PM
also, spektra has aluminum rpg cart. grips that are autoclavable and the Cheyenne grips, the stylus, and I believe bishops also are autoclavable, (not the disposable obviously. so for the first time since the cart "revolution", this year, many more options have become available and 2015 looks like its going to be crazy with more cart inspired inventions. great things are on the horizon!

brandonmull
08-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Awesome!! Thanks again!!

brandonmull
08-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Ok,i am interested in trying them. Tatsoul has the grips,
but where do you buy the needle cartridges?

ATS
08-15-2014, 09:49 PM
http://ttechtattoo.com
Here yer go brother Louie..
Have fun... I don't think you'll regret it ;)

brandonmull
08-15-2014, 11:05 PM
So if I order a few of techs grips and needle cartridges, I can use that setup with my kubins or my valor? I don't want to order stuff I can't use.

brandonmull
08-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Watching the video again, thanks again, that is why I was asking the questions I was, I had no clue about these things and was wanting info so as to decide whether or not i wanted to check them out. I think I am.

cagelavey
08-16-2014, 10:11 AM
you can definitely use with the valor, you just replace the magnet return cap with the plastic cap they also gave you and you'll be fine, it was designed to use carts also. the kubin you'll have to ask someone else ive never used a kubin. good luck

brandonmull
08-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Ordered some to see

cagelavey
08-26-2014, 09:51 PM
so what do ya think, bro?

nivek
08-26-2014, 10:55 PM
I tried them for a while and there were pros and cons for me>. I used them for pieces that I needed more than one size needle per machine, the ease of switch out was great and convenient. But the cost and lack of stock (regularly) made it just not worth it for me. I tried the t tech - and was happy enough with the needles but to me, the cost and the hassle with not being able to get what I needed for day to day tattooing made me get rid of it.

Also the convenience was marred by the fact I had to scrub tubes, there was comprimise to make it work for me.

I have 30+ machines, I got in the habit of having one set up ready to go, and another set up and tuned the same way just in case, or if I wanted to use two types of needle groups. I have similar still going today with my rotaries.
With the amount of machines, and preference for disposable tubes (hand issues) it just became - "so I am paying more to continue to scrub and not have needles that I need" it just became a hassle and the last thing I need in my life is yet another hassle. With the lack of choices in companies, and places to get the needles (out of stock way too often for me) I need it was just not worth it to me.

The fact that I can buy a GOOD needle and dis. tube from a supplier that I KNOW tattoos just made me sell it.

I like keeping as much of my money in "house" as I can, and cheyanne has done nothing for tattooing (as I see it) other than make money off us.

I have no grudge against guys that do use them, they just weren't worth the hassle or the cost to me.

YES I realize now there are more options and disposable for them now, but again - I have no interest in driving the cost up, when I can use a second machine and second dis. tube for LESS than one cart set up with two needles.

cagelavey
08-27-2014, 12:02 AM
i hear ya, they have really improved the stocking issue, haven't had any problems or delays for months now, i really think they got it going now. and there are more and more disposable cart grips out now, fki, bishop, tatsoul, ego.... not everything is for everyone, but still want to know what you think when you get a chance brandonmull.

brandonmull
09-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I am digging em!

Brian Russell
09-01-2014, 12:24 AM
A friend gave me a handful of carts and a grip about a week ago. I've been using them with a Beast for color and lining some and with a bishop for b/g. Pretty happy about it so far. I ordered a ton Friday, so I hope it all pans out. I haven't tried them with the Centri yet, but I will Tuesday.