PDA

View Full Version : First time using an airbrush in 20 years

OwlsDen
08-10-2014, 09:01 PM
So, I got a wild bug up my ass and bought a compressor. It came with a cheap shit little airbrush, although the compressor is nice. Relatively quite with a tank and a regulator. It's all I need. I ordered myself a nice Japanese made Rich airbrush as well but I couldn't wait and had to try it out. So this is done with an almost terrible china made double action airbrush sometimes a crap tool can be used for art, however anything heavier than ink will make it choke. So tell me what you think. All freehand no pencil sketch just off and running. It's ink on card stock with a little white paint for highlights.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/u8a2yre3.jpg

As well here is some detail and progress.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/pa3uzaja.jpg

And here is a link to my Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/rhzyYYqgaG/

Well what do you guys think? I am thinking of putting it up for sale, or should I just keep it?

Zomb
08-11-2014, 05:23 AM
That's class man!

CajunDave
08-11-2014, 10:26 AM
sweet!

OwlsDen
08-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys. I wouldn't mind a bit if critique if anyone feels like giving any pointers.

brandonmull
08-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Hard to critique something that looks good. The only suggestion i would have would be possibly denser blacks in the eye nose and mouth areas to make greater contrast. This is cool man!!

OwlsDen
08-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Hard to critique something that looks good. The only suggestion i would have would be possibly denser blacks in the eye nose and mouth areas to make greater contrast. This is cool man!!

I agree 100% I think I need to take a brush and nock a little more solid black I. The nose and around the eyes. Especially at the tops of the eye sockets to sink them back some.

Pinhas
08-11-2014, 06:24 PM
thatīs a nice painting donīt wait another 20 years to paint a new one :)

OwlsDen
08-11-2014, 08:21 PM
thatīs a nice painting donīt wait another 20 years to paint a new one :)

No worries there. I have bought two more airbrushes and if I know how I am with tattoo machines then I will have 5-10 more by the end of the year.

cagelavey
08-12-2014, 11:20 AM
very cool, bro. youre right just some more contrast would bump it up, id buy that as is though, awesome

OwlsDen
08-12-2014, 01:40 PM
very cool, bro. youre right just some more contrast would bump it up, id buy that as is though, awesome

Well it is for sale I imagine. It's not very big 8 1/2 x 11 ( A4 ) what do you think something like that should be priced at? I am thinking of making an Etsy account for selling paintings or maybe a Deviant Art account. Anyone have any experience with either. I know Deviant is more geared at prints.

darkness
08-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Try the sotar 20/20 or look for iwata micron ,they are so great and very smooth :-)

OwlsDen
08-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Try the sotar 20/20 or look for iwata micron ,they are so great and very smooth :-)

Yeah I would love either one I am sure. I have a Rich on the way. It's another Japanese model like the Iwata. If I had my choice I would get a Paasche AB Turbo. Although the Sotar is pretty close. I will most likely get a Harder & Steenbeck next.

e_Bangs
08-14-2014, 03:00 AM
I airbrush a lot an Amazon has a $400-$600 airbrush sotar 20/20 fine liner for $60-$100

darkness
08-14-2014, 04:17 AM
The paasche is not easy and dont work right with all inks, the sotar is very close.The harder is a very good to...but i like the sotar or iwata more for control and cleaning. I have a olympos MP ....they are like the micron from iwata and you get a second spray head with it- its a bit cheaper way to get a iwata micron. My best are sotar and iwata micron c with the valve

OwlsDen
08-14-2014, 12:04 PM
It's fun to see how many people on here are in to airbrushing. I never thought I would take it up again.

I had a pair of Paasche Vs and an H, 20 years ago so naturally the AB Turbo was the dream back then. Besides nothing looks as cool.

Now I have my Rich ( same company as Richpen ) on the way and think it will make a good all a rounder. Eventually I will get something fine line but for the price ( Germany location ) Harder & Steenbeck is quite affordable. The Infinity series with a .15 needle is only about 100€. It seems a logical choice. Although I think a Sotar can be had for as little as 150€ - 175€

CajunDave
08-14-2014, 01:05 PM
looks awesome , ive never tried airbrush before id love to try it one day.

eduki
09-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Hello Owisden ;)

I do airbrushing too, and i really suggest you, if you are looking for THE airbrush, going for Iwatas. Its by far the best brand, and believe me, i tried almost all in the market. Specially if you like high detail, they are the best (and i am not sponsorized now by them, but still telling the true)

Your best "friends" if you like fine detail: Iwata Custom Micron CM-SB (0.18) and an "all arounder" the famous HP-CS (0.30)
Into airbrushing is much more easy to find THE BEST tool IMO. Tattooing has tons of brands that can make you go crazy hahaha!
Donīt leave it, apprenticeship curve can be hard, but you are not too far from one of the best airbrush teachers in the world, who lives in Holland but teaches all around the world, included your country. If you really want to improve your skills doing GIANT steps, i suggest you to assist to one of her workshops. Her name is Marissa Oosterlee.
I strongly suggest to all the people not only learning by themselves, specially into this area.
I do teaching too, but donīt have time enough to move to another countries.
Keep on airbrushing and donīt leave it!

darkness
09-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Yes here the same , i have buy the famous paasche turbo ,Olympia,efbe,grafo,devillbis and a lot more but the really best from all that i love and easy to clean ( a big minus in the most Airbrush ... Some need more time to clean as Working ) was the iwata custom micron but the "b" and the "c" with a bigger cup :-) and i can brush fine Details like my paasche turbo !

eduki
09-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Hehe good to find more airbrush artists here ;)

Sincerely working with microns itīs not neccesary big cup, paint mixes are almost always so tiny... and the best improvement of the side cup is that you handle it as close to the surface as you want, and the cup never disturbs you. Of course itīs not a big problem, i also have the CMC+ but... since i tried the side cup, itīs waiting for me on the desk.
In the opposite side, with the side cup Iwata, you canīt use solvents (well, you can but youīre gonna damage the rubber ring sooner or later) while the other CMCīs have teflon ones and you can use solvents.
But... i have at home solvent paint from HOK, that i donīt use any more (enough for two complete lifes XD) since acrilic airbrush paints moved to finer and better pigments, and you donņt need the fucking masks anymore, no health risk.

OwlsDen
09-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Looks like this thread has had some life without me. Sorry I haven't been around here much as of late.

Since this post I have acquired a few more airbrushes. I am a bit against the Iwatas ( sorry I know everyone loves them ) as the originals were the Olympos even the custom micron was originally an Olympos design by my understanding.

I have three EFBE airbrushes on the way and I have acquired a few single actions such as the Thayer & Chandler vega 600. I love control and love details but I really love getting constant results. I am going to try and get a DeVillbiss, and a Hansa or Grafo next. I like to try different things. The Rich that I have is essentially the same as an Iwata HPC and I want to see what else is out there.

Darkness the AB Turbo from paasche has always been a model I have lusted for. I almost bought one recently.

eduki
09-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Well i have some airbrush works around here, funny because i have been payed for them but the customers didnīt come for them (and this was like 5 months ago) But i think itīs not very related with Tattooing... well maybe kind of ...

Do you guys think itīs ok to post them? iīm pretty new at the forum and donīt want to cross the rules :))

darkness
09-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Ralf Nonnweiler and some big names have start with airbrush. Its helps to get the right eye for details and to chose the right contrast ,brighness in a Tattoo :)

OwlsDen
09-08-2014, 05:35 PM
There is a general off topic section and a section about painting. So post away

hellraiser6662
09-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Haha try looking at my Instagram or my website or even my Facebook, most of my airbrushing is on there.. Ive airbrushed since I was 19, I'm a custom paint sprayer by trade, I've worked for lotus cars spraying clear coat, then I airbrushed mostly helmets back in the 90s, I used super 63 then which I loved and hated because deVilbiss used rubber 'o ' rings to seal, using thinners would swell the rubbers up letting less to the tip, spent more money on little 'o' rings than any thing else. I got out of airbrushing for a while now I've got a nice small silent compressor and I use iwata hp-ch, iwata cr, I've been airbrushing ink on silk with using free hand stencils and just freehand. .http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/08/1c4abb96c1cdaf9d8a86774b19941961.jpg...
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/08/662dd2e4b108aa23074342455250f3e5.jpg

eduki
09-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Some of my stuff...

you can watch it also on this last issue (sep/oct) of AirbrushAction Magazine, but here the pics are better i guess ;)
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o577/jopequebien/1_zps41c2a0f3.png

OwlsDen
09-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Stellar work man, that's awesome of you to share

eduki
09-10-2014, 04:33 AM
Thanks mate... I'm new at the forum and didn't know that is there anyone loving airbrushing, but now that I know I'll post something more (I'm typing with the fckng phone right now)