PDA

View Full Version : I've built a rotary and i have a question or two

ion
08-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Hello,
I just managed to build a new rotary. It's nothing unusual. It's based on a few older designs that i saw done by some great builders.
This one works really nice.
The motor is a 17 mm maxon re-max motor that many builders are using.

I noticed that for some reason this machine is a bit louder than the other machines specially direct drive machines i've built. The noise is very similar to the Shag built rotary or a dragonfly.
I tried to find the source of the noise and it seems it's coming from the motor. I noticed that the motor shaft have a movement if i press up or down on it so the noise is coming from that movement.

My question is, what should i do to minimize the noise?
ANother question that i have is if there are some specific methods of mounting a ball bearing into a housing or a shaft?
I'm self taught in all the aspects of the machine building and machinery and there are a few things that still give me some problems.
Thank you very much.

Jack Steel
08-18-2014, 01:04 PM
stress on the slide bearings cause that noise you speak of ;)
maybe try an o=ring but its more design then motor issue

ion
08-18-2014, 01:37 PM
stress on the slide bearings cause that noise you speak of ;)
maybe try an o=ring but its more design then motor issue

Those slide bearings are in the motor? Where should i put the o-ring? There is a faulhaber motor with similar specifications that make less noise. I noticed that movement i was talking about is a lot smaller on that motor.
Thank you for the reply.

ion
08-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Ah, never mind. I understand where I have to put that o-ring

OwlsDen
08-18-2014, 02:22 PM
That noise is stress on the shaft, maybe try a thinner spring.

ion
08-18-2014, 03:17 PM
I'll try tomorrow a different approach.
I understand now there is a stress on the motor shaft caused by the spring. These motors are not designed to withstand too much side pressure on the shaft. I have to minimize that stress somehow and probably making a swing arm is the better approach.

I looked at a few different spring rotaries made by different builders and all of them suffered from the same problem.
Now i understand what Jack Steel said about the design flaw.