PDA

View Full Version : The Rotary Portal

Deakon
05-28-2011, 05:30 AM
I hope this is the correct section of the boards to post this shameless plug!

The Rotary Portal is now open for business. Set up by myself and Brendan Mudd we are hoping to be a hub for the purchase of rotary tattoo machines and accessories.

We are currently stocking the ever popular Rotary Works machines and the highly underrated german Evolution machine. In the coming weeks we hope to add more big name builders so please keep us bookmarked!

Our gallery will be showcasing work carried out using our rotaries so please feel free to email high res photos and a link to your online portfolio and I will endeavour to upload them to the site.

http://www.therotaryportal.co.uk/
http://www.therotaryportal.com

[email protected]

HEAD
05-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice, been wanting to see that evolution machine run, site looks good too.

Deakon
05-29-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks Head, you can see more videos of the machine being used at out YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/therotaryportal.

Deakon
06-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Just as an update, we now have some of Dales fantastic Rotary Works machines in stock.

Deakon
06-08-2011, 02:58 PM
We have had lots of visitors from this site so far, the German Evolutions are proving very popular and we are down to our last couple until the next shipment arrives. Get them while you can!

slicksteel
06-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Is that front chuck nut made of nylon/plastic?
also if the machine came with a slot in the screw were the needle bar goes i am sure these would sell even quicker also a top rca mod would be nice as the holes on the clipcord area are huge n sloppy-which makes for power flow problems, maybe these are some mods your shop could offer as a selling point,also a back machine cover would be cool.
These are just some suggestions and what is holding me back from buying one.

peter clements
06-08-2011, 03:29 PM
You're right about the slot in the nipple screw, I have one of these machines and have done this myself with the Dremmel. You are also right about the binding posts, though I prefer clipcord, these are sloppy and do cause fluctuation when using the machine. It's a nice machine, but it could be a very good machine with a few inexspensive improvements. I hope the makers take these comments on board.

Deakon
06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Don't be fooled by how these machines look Slick, everyone who has bought one has ended up buying at least one more! They may not look like a dragonfly, but are a proper tool, and a quarter of the price.The clipcord doesn't flop around in the connections as the clipcord rests on top of the motor. The vice screw is plastic/nylon but grips the back stems securely and I use mine all day every day with no problems what so ever. If you check out the media page you can watch Brendan using them for some portraiture. Could you elaborate on a "slot in the nipple screw"?
Thanks for checking the site and your comments!

peter clements
06-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Don't be fooled by how these machines look Slick, everyone who has bought one has ended up buying at least one more! They may not look like a dragonfly, but are a proper tool, and a quarter of the price.The clipcord doesn't flop around in the connections as the clipcord rests on top of the motor. The vice screw is plastic/nylon but grips the back stems securely and I use mine all day every day with no problems what so ever. If you check out the media page you can watch Brendan using them for some portraiture. Could you elaborate on a "slot in the nipple screw"?
Thanks for checking the site and your comments!

As it stands you snip off the eyelet of the needlebar you then feed it through to the hole in the nipple screw, trouble here is it can spin out of position easily by the needlegroup not locating to the back of the tube tip. I've seen the video where you can hold the needlegroup in place when you feed it through but I honestly don't think you should be touching the needlegroup. I took the nylon washer off the nipple screw and carefully cut down to the hole thus forming a slot,now I don't cut the eyelet off the bar,I feed it through the slot and then turn it the right way, keeping the eyelet in line with the sled has the needlegroup bang on,you can then adjust the length easily moving it back and forth without worrying about it twisting out of place. I could post some pictures tomorrow.

Deakon
06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Very nice idea, and it doesn't damage the threads? I'll try it out. Thanks for the heads up.

tatoo-kid
06-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Peter clements
I buy these machine 3 days ago.
Can you line with this machine?
I do some color job, and itīs very easy to saturate the areas.
how many volts you run?

thankīs

peter clements
06-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Peter clements
I buy these machine 3 days ago.
Can you line with this machine?
I do some color job, and itīs very easy to saturate the areas.
how many volts you run?

thankīs

I lined with it today as a matter of fact, a guy with tough skin,so I ran it at 4volts. This machine's a good little liner in my opinion, and you say you've been getting good colour saturation? The conclusion here is it's a very good machine at the price, and no surprise that they are selling well.

tatoo-kid
06-08-2011, 06:58 PM
I lined with it today as a matter of fact, a guy with tough skin,so I ran it at 4volts. This machine's a good little liner in my opinion, and you say you've been getting good colour saturation? The conclusion here is it's a very good machine at the price, and no surprise that they are selling well.

I try to line with them, but with no good results, the lines donīt get black and solids...
yes, I try to color with 9 magnum, and seems to pack the color very easy.

peter clements
06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I try to line with them, but with no good results, the lines donīt get black and solids...
yes, I try to color with 9 magnum, and seems to pack the color very easy.

Last job was a celtic circle design on a shoulder cap, 5 needle line @ 4 volts, crisp even lines like a knife going through butter. Tell me how you set up exactly, needle protrusion,voltage,what black are you using?

tatoo-kid
06-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Last job was a celtic circle design on a shoulder cap, 5 needle line @ 4 volts, crisp even lines like a knife going through butter. Tell me how you set up exactly, needle protrusion,voltage,what black are you using?

I try with 7RL needle 0.25, in a disposable tube.
Use Kuru Sumi lining Ink, I also have eternel lining Ink but I donīt like.
I try to run in 3.5, 4 and 4.5.

peter clements
06-09-2011, 05:07 AM
I try with 7RL needle 0.25, in a disposable tube.
Use Kuru Sumi lining Ink, I also have eternel lining Ink but I donīt like.
I try to run in 3.5, 4 and 4.5.

I prefer 1" steel grips, especially with such a light machine, it will give you forward balance and negate the tendancy to press against the skin,if you like disposable stuff simply do it with the tip, that's something else I do. For 7s I would say you are right to go between 4-4.5 with a steady not fast,handspeed. Kuru Sumi is fine.

peter clements
06-09-2011, 06:28 AM
Very nice idea, and it doesn't damage the threads? I'll try it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Here's the pictures...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0609RichRotaries0034.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0609RichRotaries0035.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0609RichRotaries0036.jpg

darkink
06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I have looked at these machines for a long time. Anyone know the price shipped in us dollars?
Also this world is a good machine if u were using the t tech system...You could leave the plunger in place….Which I’m switching to...

would love to see work done with this machine

slicksteel
06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Yea the t-tech system is dope would work for this,I just fill like FKI-Gaston said about the stinger that this machine was put together with not to much after thaught,you should not have to slot the screw,cut the bar or change the top clipcord mounts like so much people are doing to make it work for them.Also the chuck is just like the stingers.Also the finish looks realy rough and needs to be polished/smoothed up.
This machine needs to go back to the drawing board for much needed major revisions and updates as found out by tattooers.Then it would prob be a jem!

price with shipping is 215.00 in the states

tatoo-kid
06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I prefer 1" steel grips, especially with such a light machine, it will give you forward balance and negate the tendancy to press against the skin,if you like disposable stuff simply do it with the tip, that's something else I do. For 7s I would say you are right to go between 4-4.5 with a steady not fast,handspeed. Kuru Sumi is fine.

I will try your set up, and this time with a five round liner.
I like your idea of the slot, I will also do this.
I use plastic because is disposable, later I will buy a good autoclave to work with steel grips and tips.
You like the machine for shading?
thanks

Deakon
06-09-2011, 03:13 PM
would love to see work done with this machineCheck the gallery and media pages of our site - www.therotaryportal.com

Yea the t-tech system is dope would work for this,I just fill like FKI-Gaston said about the stinger that this machine was put together with not to much after thaught,you should not have to slot the screw,cut the bar or change the top clipcord mounts like so much people are doing to make it work for them.Also the chuck is just like the stingers.Also the finish looks realy rough and needs to be polished/smoothed up.
This machine needs to go back to the drawing board for much needed major revisions and updates as found out by tattooers.Then it would prob be a jem!

price with shipping is 215.00 in the states

You need to try one, slick. Seriously :) The machines run amazingly well straight out of the box, no frills and great performance.

peter clements
06-09-2011, 03:24 PM
I will try your set up, and this time with a five round liner.
I like your idea of the slot, I will also do this.
I use plastic because is disposable, later I will buy a good autoclave to work with steel grips and tips.
You like the machine for shading?
thanks

Please be very careful when making the slot-don't ruin your machine. I've not tried it yet for shade but I've no doubt it could handle most stuff-I'll give it a go over the next few days I think.

Deakon
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I did cut a slot in one of mine today, try it for some black and grey Peter, really nice and smooth at 3.6-3.8V.

slicksteel
06-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Hey deakon thinking about it,maybe if you slot modded them first?

peter clements
06-10-2011, 06:22 AM
I did cut a slot in one of mine today, try it for some black and grey Peter, really nice and smooth at 3.6-3.8V.

Shall do my man:)

peter clements
06-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Hey deakon thinking about it,maybe if you slot modded them first?

Slick ,I'd say that one should be in the lap of the makers. As we've discussed, the modifications to make this an even better machine are minimal and shouldn't be exspensive to do. Regarding the threaded nipple, apart from slotting it, I think it would be better slightly thicker aswell.

tatoo-kid
06-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Please be very careful when making the slot-don't ruin your machine. I've not tried it yet for shade but I've no doubt it could handle most stuff-I'll give it a go over the next few days I think.

Thankīs Peter I will be very careful.
So, What other modifications can turn these machine better?

cyclopstat
06-10-2011, 08:15 AM
check it out!
http://www.centritattoo.com/

peter clements
06-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Thankīs Peter I will be very careful.
So, What other modifications can turn these machine better?

I think the machine needs better binding posts and preferably situated at the back of the machine and a cladding round the motor to hide the wires. All they would have to do, is do them in the same way as Dale does with his Rotaryworks machine.

slicksteel
06-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Slick ,I'd say that one should be in the lap of the makers. As we've discussed, the modifications to make this an even better machine are minimal and shouldn't be exspensive to do. Regarding the threaded nipple, apart from slotting it, I think it would be better slightly thicker aswell.

Hey peter maybe you could contact them(as you actually own it) with the short list of improvements ie thicker slotted nipple,motor cover, smaller clipcord post holes or placement and rca jack.

elbo
06-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Hey peter maybe you could contact them(as you actually own it) with the short list of improvements ie thicker slotted nipple,motor cover, smaller clipcord post holes or placement and rca jack.

Why cover the motor....more heat that cant escape ,more cost....i always think fancy covers hide shit...i want to see whats working the machine

peter clements
06-10-2011, 04:20 PM

I'm sure Deakon who started this thread and is selling these machines will forward our suggestions. If the German makers visit this forum they will see there are many serious and intelligent Tattooers here, I've no doubt they'll be pleased we are showing an optomistic interest in their product. All we are saying is this simple yet very good little machine could be great with some finshing touches.

peter clements
06-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Why cover the motor....more heat that cant escape ,more cost....i always think fancy covers hide shit...i want to see whats working the machine

Mark, I think Slick just means a tidier look, by moving and using better binders thus tidying those wires up, at the moment they're held in place by a cable tie. Here's a similar machine with a nicer finish http://www.tattoo-machine.ch/images/flyer_machines_e.jpg ,and yes it is much more exspensive.

slicksteel
06-10-2011, 06:26 PM
yep what peter said! yea if there is a cover it should be vented were the motors regular vent holes are.

Deakon
06-11-2011, 03:20 AM
All comments are gratefully received and will of course be passed forward to the builder. Did you try out the black and grey yet Peter? Here are a few pieces of work done using the machines, all by Mr Brendan Mudd.

slicksteel
06-11-2011, 03:32 AM
well deakon that is some nice work done with these machines!.

peter clements
06-11-2011, 02:07 PM
All comments are gratefully received and will of course be passed forward to the builder. Did you try out the black and grey yet Peter? Here are a few pieces of work done using the machines, all by Mr Brendan Mudd.

Indeed, I've done some tight B&G in an aukward area (just below adam's apple in between collar bones) very nice, plus the light balance of the machine loaned itself very well in this tight area. Today I used it for some solid black fields on a cover up,I was able to achieve even solid black at speed,my customer who sat very well was a little gobsmacked.This machine is a no frills performer,in fact regarding value you'd be pushed to find a machine that can do so much and pay so little.
Give my regards to Mr Mudd, those are nice Tattoos and he seems to be getting the hang of it :)))

peter clements
06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Here's the aukward neck Tattoos....
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0612grant0019.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0612grant0018.jpg

I'm quite happy with the gray shade. I've got to do another skull around the other side and then I've got to bring the whole thing together to make one necklace, roses being the obvious option ,can you guys think of something different?

Zapp
06-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Thats a long thread already and i get a bit interested !
The german one is and looks pretty cheap,i like way more the swiss one !
I dont know who is the knock off but the swiss one looks professional on the pics and it cost just 50 euros more !
The swiss one have also the option when you put off the motor skrew you can autoclave the machine !?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Tattoomaschine-ROTARY-Made-GERMANY-Liner-Shader-/110701915278?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D746268776285697696

http://www.tattoo-machine.ch/index.php

CJ Harper
07-01-2011, 04:36 PM
why not put a needle bar nipple on the sled and make the slot for the needle bar so you do not have to cut the bar and keep sterile wire cutters laying around , seems like a pain in the ass

peter clements
07-01-2011, 05:44 PM
why not put a needle bar nipple on the sled and make the slot for the needle bar so you do not have to cut the bar and keep sterile wire cutters laying around , seems like a pain in the ass

The whole point of the slot is that you don't cut the needlebar,also when you've fed it through the eye of the needlebar helps you make sure the needle group sits in the back of the tube. You couldn't put a needlebar nipple on the sled , it's too short for that,you'd have to redesign the entire machine.

Deakon
09-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Quick update - few more items of stock have been added, and more coming in the next couple of weeks. We do have some of Dales super posh aluminium rotaries in stock! If anyone does have suggestions regarding the site we would love to hear them, what stock would you like us to hold etc.

Sekt
01-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Deakon- your message box is full so I posted here. Interested in buying this little machine, excellent design- well thought out. Just curious if they have been upgraded as yet? or is an upgrade on the cards? I'd hate to buy one and find I got a previous model =]

Deakon
01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Inbox cleared! Anyone interested please get it contact.

Ben

Administrator
01-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Is your site down? I am getting a 403 error.

slicksteel
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Is your site down? I am getting a 403 error.
I just tried it to ,same thing.

Deakon
01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Yes, the site is down at the moment but feel free to contact me on here for details.

Deakon
02-01-2012, 03:58 AM
After much messing around the website is once again fully functional!

skinmech
02-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Looking good

Everlastingxxx
02-01-2012, 04:39 PM
I like how simple the Evolution looks. I have never ordered from outside the US, not sure how that works. The site takes US dollars? Shipping time?

Deakon
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
You can pay through PayPal which converts for you, I can ship the machine as soon as the order comes in, delivery time to the USA is usually 7-10 days as long as its not held up in customs. Ill give you a tracking number on your confirmation email also.
Thanks for checking out the site,
Ben

Deakon
06-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Now have new stock of dan kubin mini crankers, also a couple of his direct drives! They won't be around for long though!

wildboy
06-10-2012, 04:11 AM
website says cant be ordered at the moment???

Deakon
06-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Fixed! All ready to go!

Zapp
06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Fixed! All ready to go!

Ben,clear your message box !

Deakon
10-26-2012, 11:28 AM
More crankers in stock chaps! Get em while they're hot!

Deakon
01-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Just taken delivery of a bunch of MC13s and a couple of mini direct drives. Heres a piccie if anyone fancies one feel free to email or pm me for payment info. Alternatively just visit the site www.therotaryportal.com (http://www.therotaryportal.com) and state your preferred colour in the comments section. Cheers chaps!16359

luckyyoutattoo
01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
I cant order to germany?

Deakon
01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Send me an email [email protected] with what you want and I can sort out delivery charges etc to Germany for you.

Deakon
05-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Just taken delivery of the new style evolutions for all you chaps interested!

http://therotaryportal.co.uk/shop/article_8/New-German-Evolution.html?sessid=a4kJEfldhN2lZOnuPReofSo8RIjT bwX7TEsIzruAPFt8exii4CcBjlPxgktA1PKV&shop_param=cid%3D3%26aid%3D8%26

Tengu315
05-23-2013, 08:43 PM
I just got mine today and I just did an outline of two snakes around a lady's thigh .... Holly crap! .. Talk about one pass lines... This thing is a monster !
Guess its the 10 watt motor.

Deakon
08-01-2013, 03:52 PM
New exclusive paulo Cruzes rotary now available from the site, get em while you can!

http://therotaryportal.co.uk/shop/article_10/Paulo-Cruzes-Sayaka-Rotary.html?sessid=wqYv4DVCGRR7HjuEJpg0fMu3spO5wio VClAmqZstYJa55BRhz5CNFpkSSVIxe1gl&shop_param=cid%3D3%26aid%3D10%26

Jluv
08-07-2013, 05:09 PM
New exclusive paulo Cruzes rotary now available from the site, get em while you can!

http://therotaryportal.co.uk/shop/article_10/Paulo-Cruzes-Sayaka-Rotary.html?sessid=wqYv4DVCGRR7HjuEJpg0fMu3spO5wio VClAmqZstYJa55BRhz5CNFpkSSVIxe1gl&shop_param=cid%3D3%26aid%3D10%26
Any idea when I can get a mini cranker ordered?

Deakon
08-14-2013, 03:17 PM
New mini crankers now in stock!

Neo
08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
I just got mine today and I just did an outline of two snakes around a lady's thigh .... Holly crap! .. Talk about one pass lines... This thing is a monster !
Guess its the 10 watt motor.

10 watt motor ? last i checked they were 6 volt mabuchi, very smooth motors

Tengu315
08-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Some where in one of these threads someone said the new ones have a 10watter in it .. Not that it matters so much .. 6watts is plenty .
And it looks like a mabuchi.. Which I like.. I really don't care for ,or if its a maxon or not.. I really don't think I "need" a space grade precision motor in a tattoo machine... There are small , lite ,and have a lot of torque for its size , and more than half of my machines use them,... But .. There's plenty of great reliable machines out there that don't use a super high end motor... Like this German evo. Most people on here know this , but once in a wile I hear someone complain about some machine using a cheap motor so ..I just wanted to say that..ha ha...
SO, my point is...... I love this machine.!
(Evo) . It's a little tricky to set up the way i like , but it works great. I know people that have one of these machines , knows what I'm talking about.
And it's really clever and cool to see the way these guys operate.

Deakon
10-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Just a heads up chaps, more mini crankers (mc2) and dan kubin direct drives in stock. Email or pm me for details or visit www.therotaryportal.com

cheers!

(Opted Out)
10-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Deakon do any of the kubin direct drives have the standard needle nipple where you use a gromit like the old kubin dd's

darkness
10-28-2013, 09:01 AM
is the sirect drive not similar to every other direct drive ?

Deakon
10-29-2013, 04:29 AM
The direct drives are the new style where you open the needle loop, like a roy Richardson or jondix.

peter clements
10-29-2013, 07:35 AM

I suppose all DDs are similar, but Dan Kubin has that magic touch..........trust me :)

(Opted Out)
10-29-2013, 02:33 PM

No for example roy richardson or old timer you have to pen the needle loop and put metal to metal where like the old kubins or the wayne taylor you have a nipple to put a standard grommit on like you would any other machine

darkness
10-29-2013, 06:41 PM
ahh thanks Fluffstattoos .... i waiting for my second wayne :)

(Opted Out)
10-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Im waitin for my 3rd wayne haha 2xtype1's and waitin on a new type 2 lol

darkness
10-29-2013, 07:24 PM
you love the wayne dd a lot fluffs ... :) - have the type 2 in order too

(Opted Out)
10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah have fallen in love with the wayne taylor best machine ever!! Haha... I have really got into small builders like nicks wayne taylor directdrive (creator of the old timer) dan kubin and rotaryworks..

onechance
11-14-2013, 06:09 PM
why you dont ship to belgium?

darkness
11-14-2013, 06:32 PM
you can use a mail forwarder - so i make my orders around the world :)

Deakon
11-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Ill ship absolutely anywhere, the website is just very fussy. Feel free to email me [email protected] and I can sort invoices to wherever.