PDA

View Full Version : Centri Cobra Reviews

Dreviltattoo
12-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Figured I would start a new thread.
It just arrived today. I wasn't working, but just had to go in and play with it!
So packaging was decent.
Color and machining quality is excellent.
I set it up with a tatsoul disposable cart grip, mediuim length push bar, and a ttech liner i keep around for testing purposes. You don't need any elastic for at all for carts. Mikes video said to use the eye grommet upside down, so that's what I did.
It def pushes the cart with ease. I started at 9v with the stroke adjusted to where they had set it to.
It was super quiet and had tons of give. The give reminds me of the LOD. It's real give, not slop created by play like other adjustable machines that I have used and didn't like.
The stroke adjusts super easy even while it's running.
I use all carts and mostly use a thunder or a flite. The centri has way more give than the flite with the softbar. It's very impressive as I had hoped.
So i messed around with the voltage and the stroke and it gets loud and kind of chattery up around 10 volts when there is no load on it. As soon as i put any pressure on the needle it goes back to quiet. This is my first Centr,i but I was told the older versions did the same thing.
I was a lil worried about the weight until I had it my hand. I've been using really light machines for yrs and the Centri is around 5oz. The way the machine is vertical really made it feel light and well balanced even with a disposable.
The light: hmmm well the light itself seems good. it's nice that it comes right off without any tools. I would recommend he makes a design change to the vice so it has an extruding part so the light can only come down to a certain point. Mike does have a video of how to use an elastic so it doesn't end up riding on your hand. Maybe a tight bearing or make it so it clicks to certain stay points instead of the magnets that hold it on which would make it a permanent feature. It can be used all the way up and stays magnetically, but I'm not sure if it casts a shadow if it's all the way up(the light also pivots when it's all the way up). Either way, it comes off if you don't like it.
The pivoting rca connector is a great idea. I also think that it's a lil to loose and could use a bearing or o-rings or plastic washers to tighten it up a lil bit. The RCA pivot piece has very slight play side to side and prob makes the machine louder than it needs to be.
All and all,I think this machine is well built, attractive, well balanced and is going to have the best give for blending out of all the rotary machine on the market, and will be a game changer and possibly a trend setter.
So these are just my initial thoughts on it right out of the box. I will tattoo with it tomorrow. At this point, I'm very excited about the give for doing colo work. I do realism so I prob won't have be the best at reviewing it for lining, but I will def post an in depth performance review once I have some tattoo time with it. I'm not used to using give and I have a bng session tomorrow, which i def don't typically like using give for. I'll use it anyway and see how it goes.
Anyone else get theirs and try it on the skin yet?

reigningink
12-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Good review. I just bit the bullet and ordered one for myself. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Dreviltattoo
12-22-2014, 12:41 PM
I now have about 8 hrs of bng and 3.5 hrs of color done with cobra. i used ttechs and tatsoul disposales with the short pushbar. Needle configs from 3RLT to 23m curved. it was really loud and ran strange until i used the elastic from the vice knob up over the armature grommet. This smoothed it right out and kept it at a nice volume. It did throw the pushbar off once, but it may have been how I put the elastic on.
There is plenty of give and I did do a lil color lining ( i do realism) with a 3 super long taper. For me, it seemed to do it all between 9-10volts. I think I ran it up at 10.5 for lining with a medium stroke.
I bag my machine so I haven't used the light at all. I't stuck on the side of my toolbox, and will prob remain there.
My biggest problem with the entire machine is the vice. The knob is so small that I can't get it to hold solid. I tried a hawk grip adapter as well and it was even worse. It would only hold for a second and if it got twisted at all it would just fall out, so i didn't even bother trying to use it to tattoo. I'm not sure if it's the knob being small or just a poorly designed clamp but it's super fucking annoying. I'm gonna try and see if I can find a bigger knob with the same thread to see if that helps at all.
Overall, so far so good except the vice and I'm still worried about it throwing the pushbar off. I used the nipple upside down like Mike said to in his video and then attached the small #9 ? elastic as he directed. I'll fuck with it some more and keep you guys posted.

skinmech
12-22-2014, 12:56 PM
I hope this works out, and not a case of history repeating...

Cyberitual
12-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Hey devil, you see the video in the other thread? Also you should still use a band on your tension for carts or it can be loud as your magnets are probably hitting with no tension on the system. As for the vice, the knob is to small or is your vice not closing enough?

Dreviltattoo
12-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Hey devil, you see the video in the other thread? Also you should still use a band on your tension for carts or it can be loud as your magnets are probably hitting with no tension on the system. As for the vice, the knob is to small or is your vice not closing enough?
thanks for replying. I am using a band and that makes it run great. the prob is the vice. it just doesn't seem to tighten enough. i'm using tatsoul diposable cart grips. i tried a steel grip and it won't hold it either. could this be a clearance issue in the vice? i talked to someone else who is having a similar problem. it will hold the stem but not tight. i know the vice is spring loaded and i don't think that is an issue.

Cyberitual
12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
I put three different tubes up against the vice as the vice was closed all way and i cant see the jaw on the vice even or get any tube in the hole when closed. So you should have more then enough vice to close down on your tube. 27025

Ofeloner
12-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Man,, I'm still waiting on mine..I hope it shows up today!!.

Ofeloner
12-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Got my fingers crossed. :)

Dreviltattoo
12-22-2014, 03:04 PM
i think it's just because the surface is so smooth. i'm off today, but tomorrow i will try an rpg and a ttech tube. i may also try one wrap of masking tape on the stem of a tatsoul tube and on my hawk grip with the adapter. i only use carts. i wish i had tubes at home, but i only have the machine. i'll get it working with the hawk grip ideally. That would be perfect. thanks again Mike. It's def a nice machine.

Dman
12-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Haven't had any problems with mine. Have used 3 types of disposable tube as well as steel

Dreviltattoo
12-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Haven't had any problems with mine. Have used 3 types of disposable tube as well as steel
thanks, that's actually awesome news. I have tried at least 5 setups and i'm still having the same issue. i really like the way it tattoos, so I would rather have it be a defect and have him fix it. i just spent 6 hrs straight swearing at it in my head while i was tattooing.

Dreviltattoo
12-25-2014, 02:56 PM
So I brought it to my dad who is a master machinist of 35 yrs. The vice on the back side is not round. It must,have been double drill. This happens w machining. I'm sure Mike will just send me another part to replace it. I'm very happy w the machine so far, so I'll be very happy when it holds the tube correctly.

Cyberitual
12-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Hey send me some pics or post some pics with your tubes and the area thats "doubled drilled?" Are you talking about the FKirons jaw part on the vice? Im sorry its hard to understand the problem without the visuals. Yours is the only one im hearing with issues with the vice so i want to see some pics of the problem. Thanks

Heath
12-25-2014, 10:57 PM
^^this is why I like Mike.

Dreviltattoo
12-26-2014, 12:17 PM
2704427045it looks it pulled out the jig a little. i'm pretty sure it was made on a pallet cnc with twist clamps and they do loosen sometimes during machining. as us can see from the wear marks, the tube is not sitting flat on the machined part. it's prob drilled slightly out of square and oblong. can you please send me a replacement part? i sent my shipping info in a pm. thanks for your response. I'll be sure to right up a full review for you once this is fixed and I can get some more time with it.

Cyberitual
12-26-2014, 02:26 PM
I dont see any defects in those images? I think your tubes may be the issue. Not sure why yours dont work with the machine, i would really like to see your tubes or them in the vice. Can you measure the outside diameter of your tubes your using. That offset in the main entrance of the vice is ment to be there. Its there to actually support more contact area with the vice and your tube. Gaston designed that little trick and im only hearing yours having issues with it. But from what i can see the part looks used but it seems to look correct so. The underside of your turn knob has cut out ring that will support O rings i have. I can send you one and maybe that will resolve your issue but i found it more irritating then useful so i didn't include them in the assembly.

fkirons
12-26-2014, 02:32 PM
If you are using below t6 tensile strength aluminum, overtorquing it could damage it. It works great and we haven't had a single complain. Are you using 6061 t6?

Other than that I don't understand the issue myself
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreviltattoo
12-26-2014, 03:42 PM
I've use tatsoul cart disposables, fk rpg delrin, hawk grip with adapter, ttech steel, and a kingpin aluminum cart grip. Do you really want me to put a mic on all of these? These are all industry standard tubes. I'm sure they vary, but i believe the large hole is NOT straight so the vice is only grabbing a tiny bit on the corners. As soon as it turns at all even from the weight of an eikon rca cord the tube loosens up. The rpg's I believe are right at 5/16" and it would be impossible for me to tattoo with this one.
I'm not asking for a refund, just that you make this right. I paid $600 for a machine that won't hold a tube correctly.
Can't you just send a new part and the 0-ring you mentioned? I really don't see why you wouldn't want this fixed as fast as I do. I'll send the old part back to you if you want it.
I don't think I'm asking too much here.

Dreviltattoo
12-26-2014, 03:50 PM
27046this area is not flat and look at the circled area that it is most noticeable

Dreviltattoo
12-26-2014, 03:53 PM
27047can you see the curve? the tube is only catching on a small portion of the vice

brandonmull
12-26-2014, 03:55 PM
hahah you drew a peckr to show the spot.

Dreviltattoo
12-26-2014, 03:57 PM
yeah i noticed that after too lol. wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

brandonmull
12-26-2014, 03:59 PM
i didn't think you were, just found it funny!

Cyberitual
12-26-2014, 04:46 PM
1018 mild steel plated, i dont think it would wear from human strength. Still think its the tubes. But i would be more then hap poo y to swap that part out if you wish.

Dreviltattoo
12-26-2014, 04:56 PM
1018 mild steel plated, i dont think it would wear from human strength. Still think its the tubes. But i would be more then hap poo y to swap that part out if you wish.
i would appreciate that. Please ship asap. my info is in your inbox.

Stripe
12-27-2014, 11:04 AM
So far mine has run perfectly. Been busy with everything else so I haven't gotten to work with it as much as I want but so far it is awesome. I am affraid to use the foot switch. It is to nice to put on the floor. I want to mount and display it in a frame.

Ofeloner
12-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Mines bin running perfectly aswell. And has grabbed every kind of disposable non dispoasable tube I've used.

Dreviltattoo
12-28-2014, 02:47 PM
well it was exactly what i thought. I haven't heard back from Mike and he hasn't returned my pm.
the tubes measured .309 - .311
i ended up taking a 5/16 drill bit and tightened the shank end in the vice. then i took a paper towel over the fluted end and twisted it. After repeating 10 times, it smoothed out the rolled burr in the picture and now it hold tubes.
poor customer service. i won't be posting any more reviews on this machine.
i ordered an edge x. i'll post a review after getting to know it.

Cyberitual
12-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Huh... I guess i wont ship out your part tomorrow then. Fkirons are great machines and have the same business hours as i do...

Ofeloner
12-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Damnzz..that sucks..I dunno what that was all about, But I will say that Centri aka (Mike a one man show) has great customer service..This dude has allways bin quik as fuck to answer questions or do repairs when needed..and he does so all by himself..Mad props!. Happy hollidays Mike..I can understand this is a hektik time of year,,

Ofeloner
12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Not even saying its gotta be hektic,, what's it bin a couple days?.maybe he doesn't work on weekends?.

Dman
12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Agreed Mike has always been a stand up guy and has stood by his product. Plus all this activity was happening on a weekend.

brandonmull
12-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Yea I felt like that response was pretty quick.

skinmech
12-29-2014, 04:33 PM
As I said, I hope it isn't a case of history repeating itself, I was never a fan of the first Gen Centri for various reasons.....There is as good machine in there...Just a simple case of finding it...

reigningink
12-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I got my cobra in and I have to say I am really impressed. I have owned every incarnation of the centri and this one is leaps above the rest. Much more consistent hit and adjustments. The rubber band holder is easy to use unlike the v2. I havenet had any tube it doesn't grab onto very well. And the overall feel is solid as a rock. Skinmech, if you ever were going to give a centri another go around, I highly recommend the cobra. To be honest other that needing to add an O-ring to the light boom to keep it elivated, its hard to pick out much of anything that could be improved. Just my opinion.

mattmillerink
01-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Hey Mike, I got mine and love the Machine but I too am having a problem with the vice. It will stay tight and work fine but turns side to side when plugging in/unplugging the RCA when swapping machines (I hold the tube as I switch). Doesn't really turn on the machines vibrations so that's good and I feel like a lock washer might solve the issue, I haven't had time to solve it myself though I wanted to give it a good long test before I said anything but I see someone else mentioned it already. If you could send me a green replacement so I can have the peace of mind it would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise this machine is FUCKING BOSS. It took me a bit to figure it out but now I really CAN NOT be without the built in light. I don't use t-techs so I have to switch machines but it's been in my rotation every single time. It's only been about a week but I really love this machine. It's louder than I thought it would be and when the machine starts clattering against the magnets while tattooing I wasn't really comfortable with how it was coming out. The manual said to run it at 9-10v but I wasn't feeling very comfortable with that speed. I like to run my machines low, smooth and quiet (that's what I make my coils run like) so I dropped it down to between 8v - 9.2v operating depending on color or grey and adjusting the needle hang and it really started to run amazing.

Cyberitual
01-06-2015, 02:44 AM
Glad you like it Matt, pm me the email that you used to purchase or your address and i will send you a rubber O ring that goes in the groove of the underside of the turn knob, should work like the lock washer you mentioned.

Dreviltattoo
01-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Update: it completely stopped working 2 hrs into a tattoo. Now it turns on and barely runs and it's all up and down revving even unloaded. I emailed Mike.

brandonmull
01-09-2015, 01:00 PM
the movement you are talking about happens with the one i have also, when the give adjustment is turned where the magnet touches. It doesn't have a chance to move. it might have vibrated closed while using it.

Cyberitual
01-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Sounds like maybe your weight came loose. Not a magnet issue... Call me at 9097492297 i didnt recieve a email.

Dreviltattoo
01-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Sounds like maybe your weight came loose. Not a magnet issue... Call me at 9097492297 i didnt recieve a email.thanks for the reply. i just got home from work now. I'll try and send the video and email again. And i'll call you on Monday.

jasonadelinia
01-11-2015, 01:50 PM
I also am having issues with my vice clamping on ttech tubes. During tattooing it came loose 5/6 times from vibration. I'm gonna get some disposables and give it a try with them instead. If anyone works out a fix for this please post it.

Dreviltattoo
01-11-2015, 04:16 PM
I also am having issues with my vice clamping on ttech tubes. During tattooing it came loose 5/6 times from vibration. I'm gonna get some disposables and give it a try with them instead. If anyone works out a fix for this please post it.
does yours look like the pics i posted earlier in the thread?
i took a 5/16 drill bit NOT THE DRILL FLUTED END but just the shank end and kept tightening and turning it over and over with a paper towel so i didn't get cut. it smoothed it out the surface and the vice works fine now.

Dreviltattoo
01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
update; I spoke with Mike on the phone. He is shipping me out a new machine today and was more than happy to help me.

jasonadelinia
01-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Yeach, he is great with customer service, and no doubt will sort you out. I've found the main issue with mine is the fact I can't tighten it enough with the round wingnut. I've swapped it out with a butterfly nut and now it grips any tube great, no movement at all. I may even spray it purple to match the machine. Really really helps anyone with this problem. 20p from a local hard store.

brandonmull
01-12-2015, 09:33 PM
damn those are soooo slick looking!!!!

Dreviltattoo
01-14-2015, 01:26 AM
seems like an ongoing prob

Dreviltattoo
01-15-2015, 08:04 PM
update; i received the replacement machine. i haven't tattooed with it yet, but i set it up and everything seems good.