PDA

View Full Version : swashdrive whip

grim.13
06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
got the new "whip" in mail today from unimax.....used it for a few hours on a black and grey piece i was working.....runs pretty nice on low voltage 7.5 volts (in comparission to the 8.5-9.5 i run my neotats at)...the tension clip thing is cool and will take a lil while to figure out, it adds a "springy" effect to both ends of the needle stroke and really makes shade variations easier to lay....i look forward to working the hell outta this thing

Zapp
06-03-2011, 07:04 AM
They are in stock now ?!
At there website i read still :Preorder now !

grim.13
06-03-2011, 07:12 AM
they got em in on june 1st....i was on a "waiting list" for a few weeks, im not sure how many they have so call em

Zapp
06-03-2011, 07:16 AM
they got em in on june 1st....i was on a "waiting list" for a few weeks, im not sure how many they have so call emk you
Thank you !!!!

Alec_Benjamin
06-06-2011, 05:35 AM
What we all want to know is.....does it whip?!

Huapingdrumm
06-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Yes, does this machine actually do what it says on the tin?......how does it handle 'whip' shading?. Please tell.

grim.13
06-07-2011, 12:41 AM
its interesting and is taking some adjustment, loved it on day one when i was working a black and grey piece, in which low voltage and "whip" like shading was used, had the tension "clip" set midway, which gave the needle a Bounce which lengthens stroke consderably but is a false truth. have used it as color packer in which i did not like the result or maybe it is just gonna take soime getting use to, experimenting with clip place ment and voltage when i can, have yet to see healed product, which i am curious to see especially "soft" hit settings with diluded ink...figure it'll take a lil time to know whether i like it or not

Zophod12
06-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Just got it in the mail Gunna use it today. First thought is the soft clip it came equiped with seems really springy, have you tried putting the hard clip in it yet? The slider is solid nice clipping action.

Zapp
06-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Check it out !
I buy one as soon they arrive at Magic-Moon-Supply !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2akGXbaGCSM&feature=player_embedded

Zophod12
06-11-2011, 11:26 PM
After using it a bit I love this thing, great whip shading solid color great all around machine!,,

cyclopstat
06-18-2011, 08:39 AM
i used already! and very love it

billy
06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
a question for the guys who have the whip.
What material is made the clip?

Tommy
06-19-2011, 04:11 AM
is it really necessary to use a lab supply with it, or will Critical CX-2 be okay?

gangstajay
06-19-2011, 10:43 AM
is it really necessary to use a lab supply with it, or will Critical CX-2 be okay?

I would say your cx-2 is fine I have a gen 7 I used every day and I use a cx-2 no problems at all

spoonertattoos
06-20-2011, 05:59 AM
That video is pretty convincing.

peter clements
06-20-2011, 08:11 AM
It is a good video ,and I've no doubt a great machine. There are so many new and as is great Rotaries now, the Rotary revolution is moving along in fourth gear.

Mr.Taboo
06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
It is a good video ,and I've no doubt a great machine. There are so many new and as is great Rotaries now, the Rotary revolution is moving along in fourth gear.
Yeah the downside is with the popularity on the rise there'll be tons of crap machines popping up , of course forums like this can help us weed through the crap.

jeffcovell
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Received three Swashdrive Whip machines in the Mail today so I decided to use them exclusively all day today. As luck would have it, bothbof my appointments today were black/grey tattoos. I use silverback premixed usually when use rotary machines because it works for me. Eternal lining and triple black. It took me about 5 mins to get the machine dialed in to where I like it and after that, I must say, this has to be the sweetest liner I've run in a long time. It has a little give that's adjustable, same as most "adjustables" but it has action like a really solid coil machine. Weird, right? So I finish the lines and only had to go over like the first three. Everything else very solid, proportional, and single pass. Even that annoying spot above the tricep in the corner. So be it then. Let's see if these fuckers lay some sweet transitions from a solid black to smooth feathery light gray. Me personally, I do a lot of whipping only with the darker hues. With the lighter ones I'm just punching it in. To make a 6 hour story short, these machines are fucking bad ass. I'm not a fool to think it wasn't 80% ability, but these machines are definitely a tool to be reckoned with and good to have. Tomorrow will come some color realism but I can tell already that they're gonna be up to the job and then some. I'd post pics but right now I'm on my faggy lil iPad. If anyone want to see my work please visit twistedimagetattoos.com

jeffcovell
06-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Oh yeah, I used a critical power supply. They recommend using a lab power supply but the reason is this; most inferior quality power supplies don't properly give enough adjusting amperage or not enough in ratio to the amount of voltage used. They use a "brushed" motor inside the machine. It is a Swiss made motor but it is brushed so you have to be careful of the voltage/current factor lest you burn up your brushes. A lot of artists are using these power supplies from third rate distributors. They recommend the Eikon ems 300 also.

Zapp
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Received three Swashdrive Whip machines in the Mail today so I decided to use them exclusively all day today. As luck would have it, bothbof my appointments today were black/grey tattoos. I use silverback premixed usually when use rotary machines because it works for me. Eternal lining and triple black. It took me about 5 mins to get the machine dialed in to where I like it and after that, I must say, this has to be the sweetest liner I've run in a long time. It has a little give that's adjustable, same as most "adjustables" but it has action like a really solid coil machine. Weird, right? So I finish the lines and only had to go over like the first three. Everything else very solid, proportional, and single pass. Even that annoying spot above the tricep in the corner. So be it then. Let's see if these fuckers lay some sweet transitions from a solid black to smooth feathery light gray. Me personally, I do a lot of whipping only with the darker hues. With the lighter ones I'm just punching it in. To make a 6 hour story short, these machines are fucking bad ass. I'm not a fool to think it wasn't 80% ability, but these machines are definitely a tool to be reckoned with and good to have. Tomorrow will come some color realism but I can tell already that they're gonna be up to the job and then some. I'd post pics but right now I'm on my faggy lil iPad. If anyone want to see my work please visit twistedimagetattoos.com

I get my "Whip" today aswell,i have ordered it from Unimax ! Best customer service ever !!!! Sadly the harder clip was not inside of the box but the box was sealed ! Must be a mistake at packing in australia ! But i think i dont need it ! I want to use it mostly as a liner ! Men,that machine is more lighter than the gen 7 an that one is already pretty light !I just give it a short test run and i notice it run on looow volts but i am not sure about the ajustment from the give clip that makes a big difference from soft to hard !But the clip work like a spring from a coil machine ! Nice to hear it works pretty good for linework ! Did you play already around with the soft clip ?I will post a report after a few tattoos !

jeffcovell
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Haven't played around with the harder clip. Bean using the soft clip only so far. On lining, set the adjustment all the way to 10 and the volts to 7.5 or 7. that worked best for me.

Alie K
06-23-2011, 02:42 PM

I get my "Whip" today aswell,i have ordered it from Unimax ! Best customer service ever !!!! Sadly the harder clip was not inside of the box but the box was sealed ! Must be a mistake at packing in australia ! But i think i dont need it ! I want to use it mostly as a liner ! Men,that machine is more lighter than the gen 7 an that one is already pretty light !I just give it a short test run and i notice it run on looow volts but i am not sure about the ajustment from the give clip that makes a big difference from soft to hard !But the clip work like a spring from a coil machine ! Nice to hear it works pretty good for linework ! Did you play already around with the soft clip ?I will post a report after a few tattoos !

So what do you fellas think of the Whip as compared to the gen7? Seems that a lot of people feel that the motor in the gen7 is way underpowered compared to the gen6. Does the Whip have more 'oomph' in your opinions?

Zapp
06-23-2011, 04:40 PM
So what do you fellas think of the Whip as compared to the gen7? Seems that a lot of people feel that the motor in the gen7 is way underpowered compared to the gen6. Does the Whip have more 'oomph' in your opinions?

In my opinion you cant compare the "Whip" with the "Gen 7" !
Its totaly different and it has a lot of power on lower volts !
The owner manuell says you shoud not run the machine with the soft clip over 8 volts !
I just can tell more after using it a while !

Zapp
06-23-2011, 05:57 PM
When i saw the video from the whip i saw there is another clip (hard)inside the box but in my box just fit in the machine ?
I checkt out the unimax site again and they show the same as my box,not enough space for the clip !
I dont get the hard clip,anybody too ?

Zapp
06-23-2011, 07:52 PM
When i saw the video from the whip i saw there is another clip (hard)inside the box but in my box just fit in the machine ?
I checkt out the unimax site again and they show the same as my box,not enough space for the clip !
I dont get the hard clip,anybody too ?
Sorry,it was my mistake !
The size of the box are the same but when i opend it its looks like it wont fit it !
Anyway it was not inside !

jeffcovell
06-23-2011, 08:35 PM
3171 Did this today with the Whips. Really good for color packing. Used them all day yesterday for black/grey. Had a customer come back today that i worked on yesterday just so i could see if he was sore or anything else. Smooth as a babies ass. Looks healed already,...kinda. Anyways thumbs up, this Auzzie knows his stuff.

Alie K
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Maybe you should call unimax, Zapp. Tell them you got a box that was missing the clip. Maybe they will send you one? or try to contact Swash since the box was sealed. I think they are on the forum.

Zapp
06-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I think i dont need the hard clip but i have send Tony a e-mail and wait whats happend ! Unimay has nothing to do with it,but i am sure if i ask them they would help me for sure !!!!

gangstajay
06-24-2011, 12:14 AM
good looking tattoo

JohnnyChaos
06-24-2011, 03:41 AM
i love the look of this machine. so much cool stuff coming out at the moment.

Zapp
06-24-2011, 07:11 AM
The guys from SWASHDRIVE get already back to me and they will send me a hard clip ! Looks like they have a great customer service !I will post when i get the clip !

Alie K
06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
That's great news! :D

Dreviltattoo
06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
so how are you guys making out at this point? i'm looking for another machine and i'm considering the whip. is thing decent at lining? how about black and grey?

Derby Bel
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I've only used this for colour packing so far, but it did a great job. The colours, starbrite yellow ochre and banana cream, both went in first pass, very saturated, very easy.

Dreviltattoo
07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
you guys still loving ur whips?

Zapp
07-02-2011, 10:34 AM
The guys from SWASHDRIVE get already back to me and they will send me a hard clip ! Looks like they have a great customer service !I will post when i get the clip !
This one i get today from the other side of the world !
Samyo from Swashdrive send me my missing hard clip + 3 differnt weights what you can put on the give clip !
More options to change the setup of the machine !
Swashdrive have a awesome customer service,i wish other machine builder had it too !
THANK YOU, Samyo !!!!!!!!!!!

Alie K
07-02-2011, 10:54 AM
That's great news! It's amazing what a simple email to someone can do sometimes!

Zapp
07-02-2011, 11:17 AM
That's great news! It's amazing what a simple email to someone can do sometimes!
Yes,soooo true ! Thats what i talking about with my wife at beakfast! Bevor we had this technology it take ages ! I LOVE IT !!!!!!

Derby Bel
07-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Damn I saw the weights but never got any with my Whip. Might have to go back to them and ask for some. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the weights after you've had a chance to use them.

C.Anthon
07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
has anyone managed to change the bar to the stiffer one? I haven't figured out how to remove the pin in the back that's holding it on? It appears you just push it through, but if doesn't seem to wanna budge at all and I don't wanna force it too hard in fear of fucking something up!

Mr.Taboo
07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
has anyone managed to change the bar to the stiffer one? I haven't figured out how to remove the pin in the back that's holding it on? It appears you just push it through, but if doesn't seem to wanna budge at all and I don't wanna force it too hard in fear of fucking something up!
This might help : http://unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/whip_change_clip.htm

Kali
07-07-2011, 03:39 AM
Im currently using the Whip as my main machine! Its an amazing machine with loads of technology behind it backing up its performance. It hits like no machine on the market and yes it literally whips in the ink! Id go as far as to say it surpasses the best running coils, for me atleast! Im pretty up to date with the machine and i will be at the Melbourne tattoo convention in september in the Swashdrive Whip booth with a bunch of amazing artist kickin ass Whip style:) feel free to msg me if ud like info on the machine, id be happy to answer:)

bad_cupid
07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Im currently using the Whip as my main machine! Its an amazing machine with loads of technology behind it backing up its performance. It hits like no machine on the market and yes it literally whips in the ink! Id go as far as to say it surpasses the best running coils, for me atleast! Im pretty up to date with the machine and i will be at the Melbourne tattoo convention in september in the Swashdrive Whip booth with a bunch of amazing artist kickin ass Whip style:) feel free to msg me if ud like info on the machine, id be happy to answer:)

Mine's is actually scheduled to be delivered today. I have gen 7's and love them. What are ur favorite settings for color, bg, lining. with so many options, I'm curious as a good place to start until I find my own preferences. I can't wait to get this machine!

bad_cupid
07-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Wow!!! The whip is friggin amazing...all that needs to be said.

gangstajay
07-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow!!! The whip is friggin amazing...all that needs to be said.

what did I tell you...that thing is dope

Tommy
07-29-2011, 05:27 AM
on facebook, im hearing a couple dudes complaining that their whips stall out on them, like they have a wiring problem or something. anyone know anything about that?

gangstajay
07-29-2011, 12:23 PM
on facebook, im hearing a couple dudes complaining that their whips stall out on them, like they have a wiring problem or something. anyone know anything about that?
I haven't had an issue with mine and it runs slow..could be there power supply maybe.. who know's

Tat2dPinoy
07-29-2011, 12:40 PM
what is the stroke on the Whip? 3.5mm?

elbo
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

I got a whip delivered today...used it for a few hours...very nice machine..but at one stage it began to slow and then stop for a second???...ha ha i didnt have the rca pushed in all the way(although it looked like it was in fully)...its quite a tight fit and after pushing it in a few mm more it was back to laying in colour very easily....a great machine.

Administrator
07-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Jay is more then likely correct that its the power supply. Especially if this is the very first rotary machine these folks have ever used.

Tommy
07-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Jay is more then likely correct that its the power supply. Especially if this is the very first rotary machine these folks have ever used.

one of them says he is using a critical (that's what i have). are lab supplies really necessary?

why-bloc
07-29-2011, 08:22 PM
I would like to know too. I use CX-2 and it seems fine to me but I'm a swashdrive and rotary newbie. I don't wanna screw this beautiful machine up! I get an unaltering reading of 35%duty no matter how I run it...I guess I just not used to the steadiness if it. That's the whip...my gen 7 weirdly gets a 0% duty reading....

gangstajay
07-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I use a cx-2 also...I just hooked mine up and it was running 50% duty cycle from 8 volts to 10 volts..might be the machine

The Limey
07-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Are the duty cycle readings actually accurate on rotary machines? Maybe Critical can let us know?

gangstajay
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM
that I'm not sure of..maybe we should contact them

seawall paul
07-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Duty cycles only report properly with a "make and break". Not a motor.

The Limey
07-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Duty cycles only report properly with a "make and break". Not a motor.

Thanks Paul, I thought that was the case.

Tat2dPinoy
07-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Swashdrive uploaded some new videos to YouTube about the Whip

Give Clip:
http://youtu.be/JWbE2zphyC0

Weights:
http://youtu.be/IRC8Tk7gVRU

Settings:
http://youtu.be/WdzO1AZEIME

The Limey
08-01-2011, 03:41 AM
The weight system looks interesting, it'll be good to get some feedback on how those work whilst actually tattooing.

Zapp
08-01-2011, 08:43 AM
swashdrive uploaded some new videos to youtube about the whip

give clip:
http://youtu.be/jwbe2zphyc0

weights:
http://youtu.be/irc8tk7gvru

settings:
http://youtu.be/wdzo1azeime

thank you !!!!

Zophod12
08-03-2011, 09:17 PM
yep dig the hard clip too. was scared at first but hit the pin wit a hammer and a flattened nail softly and the pin popped right out. just be careful not to loose the e clip as i lost mine even took it off inside a ziplock bag and still managed to lose it got a bunch of replacements from the hardware store

Tat2dPinoy
08-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Just got mine today and have only worked with the soft clip. There really was a whipping motion that i wasn't used to, but i liked it. What are everyone's opinion about the hard clip versus the soft clip? Also any noticeable differences with anyone who has used the weights?

Tommy
08-04-2011, 12:26 AM
love it for some shading so far... cant make it line for the life of me.

Tat2dPinoy
08-04-2011, 12:44 AM
A little advice to anyone ordering, get the rca version. You can also use a clip cord on it just in case

Tat2dPinoy
08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Check swashdrivetattoomachines.com in the next couple of days, Samyo said the weights for the Whip will be available for purchase!

gangstajay
08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
did this lil tattoo today outlined with a 9L and the whip at 10.4 v set on 7..I found that if you set the slide all the way up to 8 or 9 it still has nice give but the arm bar doesn't flex on the down stroke like if you have it on say 5 or less...I used a 11round shader for the blue and a 9mag and rapierII

Tat2dPinoy
08-05-2011, 05:27 PM
3833did this lil tattoo today outlined with a 9L and the whip at 10.4 v set on 7..I found that if you set the slide all the way up to 8 or 9 it still has nice give but the arm bar doesn't flex on the down stroke like if you have it on say 5 or less...I used a 11round shader for the blue and a 9mag and rapierIIHard or soft clip Jay?

gangstajay
08-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Hard or soft clip Jay?
hard...I just keep the hard clip on..I really am diggin it for line work..

why-bloc
08-12-2011, 01:41 AM
@Tommy. I've been having on-and-off with lining but found that when set the soft clip hard and go slower on slightly lower voltage I get spanky clean lines. Whip seems to trouble a bit over changes in skin quality. Has anyone noticed this at all, or is it just me? I had to let a bit more needle out than I would have liked going up post-baby ribs. I think I shouldn't have had to do that, but it was the only solution I could come up with in an awkward situation. I also put the voltage up to 9.4...which is high for me. I love the whip, and I'm planning to order another one...but I need to work out a few glitches first.