PDA

View Full Version : What the best grapic tablet for doing stencil,art and realism manipulation ?

slicksteel
01-15-2015, 01:16 PM
I want to take the leap and get a nice drawing tablet-bought one years ago and it sucked balls -was very hard to work with. End up taking it back after a few days.
Any suggestions?

nivek
01-15-2015, 01:30 PM
honestly the screen/tablets are the best - but NOT cheap

bustitout
01-15-2015, 01:38 PM
I've been using an Ipad, ProCreate drawing app, and the pressure sensitive Adonit stylus. I've never used a dedicated drawing tablet to be able to compare to, but it has worked for me so far. Plus, there are always new drawing apps coming out, most are crappy, but some are good. I have a couple for vector drawing and ProCreate for more realistic drawing tools

slicksteel
01-15-2015, 02:03 PM
honestly the screen/tablets are the best - but NOT cheap
Any good brands/models you know?

Invertedpixel
01-15-2015, 02:17 PM
The Wacom Cintiq would be the goto for a monitor/tablet combo. but you are most likely to spend at least 1k USD. The owner of the shop I work at uses his to do all of his tattoo prep drawing.

InkTillYouDrop
01-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Wacom companion are really good but pricey (just be careful as there is a new model coming soon), on a lower budget a microsoft surface pro 3, i would recommend to go for the core i5. Or on an even lower budget a used or refurbished fujitsu lifebook (t901, t902). All run on windows and are fully able to run photoshop, on a 13 inches display except for the surface pro which is a 12.
My vote would be for the surface pro.

slicksteel
01-15-2015, 02:29 PM
yea i like the idea of a all in one monitor type.

OwlsDen
01-15-2015, 02:56 PM

I bought a motion Computing tablet pc with built in Wacom screen for less than 150€ on eBay. It isn't crazy fast but for drawing it's fine and it is pressure sensitive. I love drawing directly on the screen and it is better than my iPad Air 2 with Wacom stylus or Adonit stylus ( I have both )

nivek
01-15-2015, 04:02 PM

As mentioned Wacom has pretty much cemented their name. a friend has a pen a touch display - set her back around $2700 - its like drawing on a screen, she uses mostly adobe products. I got to play with it and man - its pretty awesome.

That being said - once the learning curve is over drawing with a non display pen works well.

Also, there are several lesser known brands that are MUCH cheaper than the wacom. Genius is the brand I got and for the same price as a 6 by 8 a very large one my brain says it was $120.

slicksteel
01-15-2015, 04:19 PM
If any one has one of those "motion Computing tablet pc" i have a used eikon es300 i would trade for one.

OwlsDen
01-15-2015, 05:13 PM
If any one has one of those "motion Computing tablet pc" i have a used eikon es300 i would trade for one.

They are on eBay all day everyday and the le1600 or le1700 should be under 200$ lots of times under 150$. Sell that eikon for 150$ - 200$ and buy one.

Tattoohannes
01-15-2015, 05:34 PM
I´ve used a cintiq for many years and for a long time nothing matched the graphic tablets from wacom...now I tried one from Yiynova and what shall I say...works perfect for a third of the price of a new Wacom Cintiq.

darkness
01-15-2015, 05:44 PM
try bosto ...i have the HDX22 and its great and a way better and cheaper as the wacoms :)

chris-in-cali
01-16-2015, 12:35 AM
the yiynova looks very intertesting
i am also in the market for one.....thanks for all the suggestions guys!

darkness
01-16-2015, 03:22 AM
Yiynova is great too but lack on screen and is not a feather from weight. You should god test and inspect the screen -a lot hat drouble and pixel issue or after a time of use a black screen. I dont knowing that yiynova have fixed this. But Bosto has some issue to on the first batch of tablets.

Mattan
01-16-2015, 05:41 AM
Cintiq is the best you can get. I have worked with those for a couple of years... But they cost a fortune.
Now I have a Yiynova Msp19u+ at home and, despite some driver issues and a lower resolution screen and a not-so-good viewing angle it's awesome for the price. I draw comics and shit on the side and the Yiynova is faster reacting than the Cintiq. For a third of the price!
If you're not a professional graphics artist or photographer that needs a 100 % accuracy on colours, go for the Yiynova.
Oh, and I have an older Yiynova. There is newer with bigger and better screens, but I haven't tried them, so I cannot vouch for them.

darkness
01-16-2015, 06:17 AM
thats was i mean with the screen and on the first run they have some trouble with the quality - the bosto have the HD screen and is better yiynova. Most artist dont like cintiq with the time because the pen area is scratched fast. And HD on a 13" is not good for the eyes for a longer time. The wire is very thick and rigid and the display get hot with the time. The Pressure is better to regulate with the other brands. The most use the zoom to change the brush size because some issue to get this over the pressure :(

hellraiser6662
01-16-2015, 07:14 AM
I use the 1st gen cintiq screen I bought it off eBay for £800 hardly used. I don't get close to use it to its full potential but far cheaper than a new one. I also got a samsung note 10.1 2014 tablet a that's great wacom designed the screen for samsung it's just like a mini version of wacom companion but far cheaper. I work on my cintiq then export the image to Dropbox then open the image on my tablet at work, and use a art programme if i need to flip or in large on the fly in stead of using print outs.

Dreviltattoo
01-16-2015, 06:17 PM
wacom companion with photoshop cc is all you will ever need. it's worth more than they cost. i also have a surface pro 3 and it doesn't even come close to comparing with the wacom. I use the surface for work because it's small and easy for travel but it sucks for actual painting.
27156 this is the back of my business card. 5 hr banger, no reference.

Dreviltattoo
01-16-2015, 06:21 PM
and wacom sells rubber tipped nibs that don't scratch the screen. i have hundreds of hrs on it and the screen is not scratched. i will never settle for a cheaper, lesser product. in a yr is a little bit of money going to matter?

chrishess
01-17-2015, 01:38 AM
i just got an old galaxy note on craigslist and i love it. i really dont need high resolution because anything i do digitally, i just use for tattoo or painting/drawing reference. and its quick and has touch response and the stylus is nice. i have a new ipad and im about to sell it because i love the galaxy way way way better. its cheap and really unless you're putting out a book or actually selling digital prints or something, its perfect. my 2. probably never buy a wacom though id like to, but realistically, im not gonna be doing commercial digital art. 27157 this was the very first one i did on the galaxy. front of a new business card

note 10.1 old model.

The Limey
01-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Has anyone tried the Nvidia shield? It comes with its own software; Dabbler which is supposedly watercolour and oil painting and seems to have all the touch sensitive stuff built in plus when you are bored its pretty damn good for games lol!

schlick
01-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Definitely the way to go is a Wacom cintiq companion, not the companion hybrid. The Hybrid can double as a screen when you plug it in to the computer, but when used alond it is an android tabled and cannot run photoshop. Photoshop is really the only program you'll ever need. You can try other shit, but eventually you will just be working your way up to photoshop.
The Competitor really is the Microsoft Surface pro, the main difference being the larger border on the cintiq (which is basically for resting your hand on while you draw) and programable buttons.
These tablets differ from other tablets in the programability and pressuer sensativity, and the fact that they are windows 8 and not Android OS.
I'm starting a shop and Will be buying a Cintiq for the shop for sure. At this point, I think it is vital. If you want to get your toe wet however you can get a Wacom intuos5 at best buy for like $350 or cheaper online. It is a little difficult to get over the hand eye coordination exercises that you can do that will get you over that in a week. The advantages are that it is a lot cheaper, your monitor is probably bigger than a tablet screen and your hand is not in the way.
Just something I've had a lot of experience with in the last couple of years.
I think I'm going to do some videos on digital topics like this if anyone is interested.

fkirons
01-17-2015, 02:42 PM
This was my dilemma for quite a few years since the first cintiq came out. I recently ordered the Cintiq companion, although it's a good device and perhaps one of the best portables, I felt like it was too heavy for needs on the go. I also have some Wacom pens for the iPad but they are still far from being ok. I wish I can get all the features of the Cintiq on an iPad. That would satisfy all my drawing needs on the go.

I am about to get a surface Pro. I think that might be the best of both worlds even thought you don't get all the levels of sensitivity as the ones you get with the Cintiq but being able to draw, launch SolidWorks and do minor 3D would be a home run for me. I am hoping Wacom can come up with a more accurate pen for the iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellraiser6662
01-18-2015, 01:17 PM
I've had the cintiq companion and sent it back, it's screen is far to small for the size of companion, it lags when using large brushes on photoshop, it's got not enough ram which it shares with the graphics card, not enough usb ports and for £1500 far to over priced. The new Companion is out soon, but yet again it lacks in usable screen size because they don't take the screen up to the edge it has two large boarders, they have upped the ram size and made some other options but again it's not hitting all the marks....

Dreviltattoo
01-18-2015, 03:21 PM
This was my dilemma for quite a few years since the first cintiq came out. I recently ordered the Cintiq companion, although it's a good device and perhaps one of the best portables, I felt like it was too heavy for needs on the go. I also have some Wacom pens for the iPad but they are still far from being ok. I wish I can get all the features of the Cintiq on an iPad. That would satisfy all my drawing needs on the go.

I am about to get a surface Pro. I think that might be the best of both worlds even thought you don't get all the levels of sensitivity as the ones you get with the Cintiq but being able to draw, launch SolidWorks and do minor 3D would be a home run for me. I am hoping Wacom can come up with a more accurate pen for the iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhave you tried the adobe ink and slide? http://www.adonit.net/adobe-ink-slide/
I don't have an ipad anymore. i have the cintiq companion and a surface pro 3. my surface isn't very impressive with ps. glossy screen sucks and the pressure sensitivity sucks too. good for work, but not for finished paintings. the companion is heavy and a beast but the fact that you can completely shut off the touch and zoom 3200% makes it a lot better for me anyway. also, the surface kickstand slowly closes while trying to paint and it's super annoying. i like the companion solid adjustable stand way better.

fkirons
01-18-2015, 11:51 PM
i broke in and bought a surface pro today. I am liking it so far. I do not want it for high end painting or anything like that. What I do the most is sketch, and do some solidwork while im omn the road. I installed SolidWorks and I am pretty impressed. Haven't messed with anytying too complicated yet.

Drawing, is pretty accurate to me, for what the table is.
Super light and portable is what I was looking for.

The levels of sensitivity are not bad for what I was looking for neither so so far it has been working great for me.

It is def not a replacement for a desktop cintiq but I prefer to sacrifice a few features in order to be able to carry just one device for all my graphic needs on the road.

Now, if Apple would just release a Phablet with Pen....I'm sure the rest will be history.

hellraiser6662
01-19-2015, 06:41 AM
Well I think the best tablet is the Samsung note they now do a 12.1, the screen was designed for them by wacom hence the small nip stylus. Only problem is it runs android so no poser, photoshop or zbrush. But it has got other programs which are good. I work from my note 10.1 all time. Easy to carry and a good stand makes to easy to see my reference, zoom in or out no more crap print offs.

nivek
01-19-2015, 06:07 PM
There is a photoshop express for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.psmobile&hl=en

nathan bauer
01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
I run photoshop touch on my Galaxy Note 12.2 and love it. New to me though!

ATS
01-21-2015, 01:26 PM
I use a macbook and an older macbook pro.. I run Adobe CS2 (the free unsupported version) which for the limited applications I use it for it works reasonably well..
I like the look of the Wacom Intuos control pads.. they'd let me continue working with my macs and give me the added controllability to start drawing/designing in Photoshop or Sketchbook pro (which also looks to be a very good option). However.. my main problem with the Intuos is the disconnection between your hand and eye... How does this reflect in reality?
I'm pretty much sold on the Intuos Pro version for all its specs... But that hand/eye thing??......

fkirons
01-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Well I had the Surface pro for a few days and I like it so far for one thing: Sketch Book Pro. I completely dislike PCs :/
It's really hard as a mac user to even consider a PC tablet for decent work. I just hope Apple would come up with a solution to this :)

I also received today an Adonit Jot Touch with Pixel Point Stylus, that promises to have most of the issues that other stylus have with the Ipad.
It has over 2000 levels of sensitivity and seems to have the stair casing issue when making diagonal lines solved.
I will Try it today and see whats up.

ATS
01-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Well I had the Surface pro for a few days and I like it so far for one thing: Sketch Book Pro. I completely dislike PCs :/
It's really hard as a mac user to even consider a PC tablet for decent work. I just hope Apple would come up with a solution to this :)

I also received today an Adonit Jot Touch with Pixel Point Stylus, that promises to have most of the issues that other stylus have with the Ipad.
It has over 2000 levels of sensitivity and seems to have the stair casing issue when making diagonal lines solved.
I will Try it today and see whats up.
oh I soo hear you man! like I say I really like the look and specs of the Intuos... I already have two macs so do I really need a pc as well??
I have found a decent price on a Wacom - Cintiq Companion Hybrid but not too sure about them (researching atm)... can they connect to the internet? can they run Sketchbook Pro?
Edit..... Just been looking at the Adonit Jot Touch with Pixel Point Stylus... could be very good option, and give me the excuse to buy get an iPad ;).. please let me know if how this works Gaston.....
btw I presume you can rotate the canvas pretty easily on the iPad in both Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro.. Yes?

Ruthless
01-22-2015, 08:02 AM
I brought the Wacom cintiq 13hd a few weeks ago, $1000aus, it's a bit tricky to get used to but I havn't used photoshop before.
The down side is you can only use it plugged into computer which I find inconvenient, it does not have wifi capabilities.
I would recommend spending the extra and getting the larger 22hd size.

Dreviltattoo
01-22-2015, 07:01 PM
You could always buy a modbook for 5k lol. I had the older version and it was a tank and they had some issues back then.

fkirons
01-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Well. Here is my feedback regarding all Styluses on iPad.
Aside from the old school fat rubber tip ones, the rest are just garbage.

The Bluetooth technology, capacitive display of iPad and fine point Styluses is nowhere close to the accuracy of the Wacom systems. At least is not just there yet.

All iPad Styluses have the same issues:

- Stair casing issues when drawing curves and diagonal lines.

- Inaccuracy. They are all off by several millimeters from the tip. Super inaccurate when drawing slow.

- Slow performance. Big lag issues.

- Noisy. I could deal with the noise if they work well. But since they don't, noise just makes the issues even more annoying.

-Expensive. I spent over $600 trying them all out. Save yourself some money and just stay away from all fancy fine too styluses. They all offer you something good that make you believe they are the one but they are all the same.

- Adonit makes a big claim about PixelPoint Technology. I don't know if Wacom Ipad styluses use the same technology but they all perform equally as bad.

- Wacom styluses do not deliver the same Wacom experience on the iPad. In fact nowhere close.

Bottom line. If iPad is your thing. Stick to the old fat rubber tip ones. They are as cheap as $5 on Amazon. The difference between the more expensive and less expensive fat tip is just the price and in some cases, quality.

If you are into pro Sketching, Wacom has this dialed in, into a science. I still use my Intuo that I have from several years ago and it's a pleasure to work with. Specially to make stencils of portraits. :) New Layer Over the image., Zoom in- Zoom out, Trace, hide background image, resize and print!
Made a mistake? Don't worry.! Just undo!

If you want to be somewhere between portable and home, you can go with a Cintiq Companion. I Personally didn't like it just because of its weight and even though is mic more portable than other Wacom versions I found the need to carry my computer for all my tasks other than sketching. Oh and the kickStand display is horrible. I don't know how they were able to design such an amazing piece and slack on the kickstand. Despite my beef with its weight it does performs amazing. Just not what I'm looking for at the moment.

If you don't do a lot of sketching on the go, invest the same amount of money (or a little more )on a bad ass Wacom desktop system.

If you want something in Between the Cintiq Companion but more portable, the surface pro delivers power, windows operating system and similar results at a much lower price, smaller screen and fewer sensitivity levels.

If you are looking for a super portable, efficient, and powerful setup, Wel...keep waiting because you are in the same boat as I am and no one has delivered something that captures the best of all worlds into one device yet.

My $ .02

fkirons
01-23-2015, 12:03 AM
You could always buy a modbook for 5k lol. I had the older version and it was a tank and they had some issues back then.

I am really tempted but seem pretty bulky still and expensive . Maybe be the only option for Mac + Wacom fans.

ATS
01-23-2015, 03:32 AM
If you are into pro Sketching, Wacom has this dialed in, into a science. I still use my Intuo that I have from several years ago and it's a pleasure to work with. Specially to make stencils of portraits. :) New Layer Over the image., Zoom in- Zoom out, Trace, hide background image, resize and print!
Made a mistake? Don't worry.! Just undo!

If you want to be somewhere between portable and home, you can go with a Cintiq Companion. I Personally didn't like it just because of its weight and even though is mic more portable than other Wacom versions I found the need to carry my computer for all my tasks other than sketching.
My $ .02

Wowsa great feedback Gaston!
So you use the Intuos??.... Like I've said before, as far as I can see it offers the best specs and keeps me in my known tried and tested (and loved) macs.. It is just the hand/eye coordination that bothers me (don't want to repeat myself).. how does it affect you when you're tattooing, if you draw say 90% of the time on it?
I've been around the block the last few days researching like a mother.. my bloody head is aching with all the options/jargon/pros/cons/ etc...
The last option now that I'm also looking at is a cheaper Samsung Galaxy Note..... and run it with Sketchbook Pro.. I don't really need photoshop if I'm honest.. Sketchbook Pro has all that I'd need and more.. The Samsung Notes have quite a bit lower specs tablet wise than the Intuos but at least you draw directly onto the screen..
Regarding the Wacom Companion.. there's a lot of very mixed reviews about them.. The highlighted part is a major concern for me too...
There is also the version 2 right around the corner..
:)

ATS
01-23-2015, 06:21 AM
I bought a motion Computing tablet pc with built in Wacom screen for less than 150€ on eBay. It isn't crazy fast but for drawing it's fine and it is pressure sensitive. I love drawing directly on the screen and it is better than my iPad Air 2 with Wacom stylus or Adonit stylus ( I have both )
1st page.. and here could be the perfect solution!!
looks to be a winner man .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXWWH5TtNBw
So you can do it all on this I reckon.. gonna do some more research on these..

fkirons
01-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Wowsa great feedback Gaston!
So you use the Intuos??.... Like I've said before, as far as I can see it offers the best specs and keeps me in my known tried and tested (and loved) macs.. It is just the hand/eye coordination that bothers me (don't want to repeat myself).. how does it affect you when you're tattooing, if you draw say 90% of the time on it?
I've been around the block the last few days researching like a mother.. my bloody head is aching with all the options/jargon/pros/cons/ etc...
The last option now that I'm also looking at is a cheaper Samsung Galaxy Note..... and run it with Sketchbook Pro.. I don't really need photoshop if I'm honest.. Sketchbook Pro has all that I'd need and more.. The Samsung Notes have quite a bit lower specs tablet wise than the Intuos but at least you draw directly onto the screen..
Regarding the Wacom Companion.. there's a lot of very mixed reviews about them.. The highlighted part is a major concern for me too...
There is also the version 2 right around the corner..
:)

I am waiting for a crossbreed to happen between a 15" iPad + a Cintiq + a MacBook Pro. That would be an everyday portable device. One day....

ATS
01-23-2015, 12:09 PM
I am waiting for a crossbreed to happen between a 15" iPad + a Cintiq + a MacBook Pro. That would be an everyday portable device. One day....

haha .. just thinking about that make my head pop with glee!

Artistic violence
01-28-2015, 05:38 AM
I use an wacom intuos large tablet...i can't remember the price as i've been using it since 2009...but i love it...and its still cheaper than a good tattoo or rotary machine these days.

fkirons
02-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Sad news for my pocket. Good news for my future creations. I just preorder a Cintiq QHD. Now I can't wait until is here.

Artistic violence
02-01-2015, 10:15 PM
I would love a cintiq...but it is way out of my budget...i still very happy with my intuos. I've gotten used to sketching on it. I'm sure you're going to love it Gaston.

fkirons
02-01-2015, 11:33 PM
I would love a cintiq...but it is way out of my budget...i still very happy with my intuos. I've gotten used to sketching on it. I'm sure you're going to love it Gaston.
me too, I've been using intuos tablet line since early 2000. I got a Cintiq 13 a few years ago and I found it too bulky and inconvenient at that time.
They have streamlined the cable situation with the new ones. Less and smaller.

At work I use one of the largest intros and at home one the smallest ones. Time to invest in new equipment for me.

What sealed it for me, is that I've been "Sculpting" a lot of quick ideas for machines and devices right in AutoDesk MudBox.
It saves me so much time rather than trying to come up with something in solid works.
It's like sketching in 3D, can't beat it. I can't imagine how much more efficient the Cintiq 27 QHD is going to do my job.

Also, since I've been spending more tattooing recently, I tend to jump right onto the Intuo to design or trace. Hit print and Voila.
Now I can't imagine how much more streamlined the whole process is going to be drawing directly on the screen.
Can't wait.

Artistic violence
02-02-2015, 01:50 AM
I've never gotten too much into 3D yet as illustration is my thing...i did try the first z brush...but back then i was pretty bad with computers. I remember when mudbox first came out...i had a couple of excited friends because it was associated with WETA and the Lord of the rings was all the rage. My friends since went back to Z brush. Definitely, being able to draw directly on screen is going to feel more natural. I've always wanted a Cintiq and prayed for a portable one. I then got a questionnaire a few years back from Wacom asking what i would want and what price etc market research questions. I got excited because the questionnaire hinted at the portable cintiq/tablet...now called the cintiq companion. On release I was so dissapointed at its price tag and that people slated its kickstand as useless. I'm still hoping that they will make it more affordable since digital art and tablets are becoming mainstream and more competitors are on the market. I would love a digital station setup at work...but everywhere i have worked always looked down on digital art...but i'm seeing a hell of a lot of tattoo artists now jumping onboard with it now. I suspect being able to sculpt in 3D and owning a 3D printer is going to be a game changer for rotary machine builders. Being able to design anything and print it is going to be amazing...mugs, figurines, vases etc. The endless possibilities...every friend and family member is going to want some custom cool arse shit. When 3D printing goes mainstream...its going to be such a huge deal and it will be really handy to know how to 3D model and design.

ATS
02-02-2015, 04:28 AM
@Artistic violence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9n1U0t2RgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rruyZUuNZLA
This is what I've just bought off eBay 400€ with a stand/keyboard, mine is i5 Quad core 4 x 1.07GHz, 64 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM, Gorilla Glass ect..
Forum member Darkness has also just bought one with exactly the same specs from the same seller.. I was speaking with him the other day and he was really happy with his.
I'll let you know how I get on once mine arrives from Germany.

OwlsDen
02-02-2015, 01:51 PM
You should try MyPaint. It's lightning fast on the older models and free. I am even running Linux off a usb stick and it feels like liquid how fast it is now.

darkness
02-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Get my motion and works very well and in a very good condition for the price ! I personaly prefer it over my wacom companion but i hat only the androit Version .

OwlsDen
02-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Get my motion and works very well and in a very good condition for the price ! I personaly prefer it over my wacom companion but i hat only the androit Version .

Nice to hear it is working well for you.

fkirons
02-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Nice to hear it is working well for you.
This table looks already like a winner versus the Companion and Companion2 which is almost the same thing with same horrific stand!.

Blondan
02-05-2015, 07:09 PM
I want one, which seller on eBay again?

ATS
02-06-2015, 03:38 AM
@Blondon.. search 'Motion Computing' on eBay.. The guy who both myself and Darkness bought from is 'hoppelhase70', I don't know if he has any more , also be aware that if you buy from him (or probably anyone else in a 'foreign' country) there's a likelihood that the OS will be in a language you don't understand and you'll have to change it.. I'm getting my OS changed today by basically reinstalling Windows 7 Pro and choosing English.

Blondan
02-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks ATS

Shawn
02-09-2015, 10:03 AM
I recently got the companion hybrid and love it! I was using a note 10.1 which is still great. I have less hand fatigue with the hybrid because I have somewhere to rest my hand on the side. I go back and forth with sketchbook and photo shop building up my drawings. It is a bit heavy but is way ahead of notes and iPad. Having to hook it up to a computer isn't a big deal as I have photo shop on my home computer and at the shop.

Zbel
02-10-2015, 02:32 AM
hey guys..
i have a cintiq 13HD together with my macbook pro.. I like the thought of carrying the 13HD with me on the go - like the cintiq companion -
but damn they are pricey.. i think i would rather have my macbook pro modified to a modbook pro X - that would be DAMN nice..
one powerfull tablet;) but again its pretty damn expensive..

i have read alot of reviews on the surface pro 3 - but i think all reviews says that it is not to be compared with the Companion...

fkirons
02-11-2015, 01:31 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/fb56315186cc6013dfe4bd948d68a815.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/2712415e25240c5ebb919f0b842e44b1.jpg
Well I got the Cintiq QHD 27
After playing with it and using several applications like MudBox, Autodesk Sketch Pro and photoshop here is my conclusion.

- This tablet its a bit overpriced in my opinion. Knowing that it's just a display without a built in computer.

- To use this tablet I also got a Mac Mini with fusion drive. More than enough with plenty of power and 8g of ram for under $1000

- I've been using wacom tablets since their first ones. This is my second Cintiq. The first one was a 13" and returned it because it was too much to deal with. About 4-5 cables a huge power source a stand etc. With this one the size and volume just increased since this tablet is 27"

I used almost all Intuos tablets with good results. So jumping to a display tablet always intrigued me.
However this screen really takes a tolls in your Eyes. I recalibrated the display and that helped the issue but drawing on it for more than 2 hrs can be a problem for some people. With the Intuo I didn't have this issue.

- At a glance you can appreciate a better display. Better colors, better quality, however far away from a Retina display. I think this display its a good display from a regular PC from 8 years ago.

- The fact that they have condensed all the buttons to a wireless remote control makes the drawing experience a lot different since you have an uninterrupted seamless glass surface.
However I think they put way too many buttons on a small device making having to relearn all your commands again. You can customize them per application.

- weight. It's not too heavy knowing that's a 27"

- the huge cables that come with it are cheap and bulky. I've seen streamlined HDMI and USB that are half of the size than these ones.

- the tablet comes without a stand and without a stand you'll completely destroy your back and neck. I had to order it the next day. However there are several aftermarket stands that won't break the bank account. I went with the Cintiq one to play it safe. But you can out physically rotate the screen with it.

- Stylus experience. Exceptional. But nothing different from previous tablets. Same level of sensitivity. 2000 and change levels.

- this tablet will require a whole desk for it. Something that I have to invest on now and in which its a problem as my place is small.

- the surface is really nice and pleasant to draw on

- Touch Screen Feature: GARBAGE!!!!!! It works from time to time. I paid an extra $500 for it. Useless until they fix it with driver updates. (And if an update will fix the issues)

Overall feedback. Unless you are going to make money with it I wouldn't recommend it if you just want something to do a couple of sketches, sculpting or cad. If hobby is the reason you want to go display go with those affordable ones from eBay you will save money space and the result might be the same. Especially if you don't care for 2000 + levels or pressure.

If wacom is your thing. Wait until the companion 2 gets release next month. They have the starting at 1200 and they are a full fledge PC meaning that you can run other apps and you only need the power cord.

If you never tried a stylus I would recommend getting one of their entry level Intuo that you can easily hook up to your computer via USB. They have wireless ones one.

I may endup returning it as well if I don't manage to get used to the brightness that radiates from it. Even though it's a dull radiation it gets to your brain quick.

eduki
02-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Hi Gaston, you went for the big boy haha!
Wacom tablets are part of my everyday work, i had some different versions of them and they are one of the best tools for digital drawing and design. I still having an Intuos 3 which is half of the pressure sensitivity of the actual Intuos but works like a charm and it has more than 9 years, its surface is way better than the actual models in terms of wearing.

I also have the Cintiq Companion, iPad and tried the Samsung tablets. My honest opinion is that, of course Wacom has a very nice reputation and is one of the best brands, but with the Cintiq Companion there is a lot of hype that makes us blind going like crazy for it but for me, after a while has some defects that i consider "no nice" on this very expensive toy.

I like it for refining works on Photoshop and give them the "perfect" look in terms of lights, effects etc...
Of course it offers us the possibility of working with hard to move software for a regular tablet, like Photoshop, Zbrush and many others, but being honest when you require a lot of work to the machine its graphic power isn´t at the same level to the high price. Just enough.

Another thing is.... yes, you can move yourself with it wherever, but... that doesn´t means that you are going to feel comfortable heheh! and of course if you want to use all the capabilities of it, you´ll need the keyboard, which means a desk or a table (forget the idea of painting on bed hahaha it was one of my dreams but it´s heavy and uncomfortable.
One more thing... who says that it doesn´t scratch the surface? Maybe not like crazy, but it does with the use (for 20 bucks you can use a screen protector what gives you a "paper" feeling and it´s mate, i bought one from Amazon, but be very carefull when installing it with all the dust around, cause it´s big ;)

Some other small things make me think that Wacom is on the good way, but not for this time with the Companion (anyone tried the GARBAGE of the speakers sound?) maybe in next generations i am sure that we´ll have a BEAST from Wacom, but for that premium price i expected a premium item on every aspect.

But in my opinion, if you want portability, sensitivity, power, PALM REJECTION (here i look at the iPad) and power enough for 90% of the needs of a tattooist, give it a try to the Samsung tablets. Yo can work with Sketchbook like a pro, it has 2048 sensitivity levels, and the best thing form me is that you can work everywhere, travelling, etc... its portability and ease of use (and the price) are one of the things that makes it worth the money 100%.

I´m a digital tech consumer, and of course i like my Companion, but sometimes when i am using the Galaxy Note 10.1 almost all the time, i look at my Companion, iPad... and i think that they are a nice expensive toys, specially the iPad, which i won´t buy if i already had the Note 10.1 And for sure when the next generation arrives, i´ll sell it ASAP.
To anyone who think that it has limits just take a look outside about what some artists can do with a Note 10.1 ( F.E. tattoo artists like Mr Dist)
By the way he is also a Cintiq owner heheheh

ATS
02-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Nice posts you guys! loving all the info you are putting out :)
Ok so I'm getting set with the J3500 (thanks Darkness you're a pal).. And I'm loving it.. I've tried Sketchbook and like it quite a bit.. but I have also tried Clip Studio Paint and like that even more.. I find it more responsive and the navigation more intuitive..
The J3500 is pretty heavy esp coupled with the stand and keyboard dock.. but it certainly isn't a deal breaker in that respect..
I'm so at the beginning of working this way but I think it's going to be a game changer for me.. I love that I can just try things out on the fly.. Undo and go again.. easy..
so yeah.. Really loving it so far!

fkirons
02-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Hi Gaston, you went for the big boy haha!
Wacom tablets are part of my everyday work, i had some different versions of them and they are one of the best tools for digital drawing and design. I still having an Intuos 3 which is half of the pressure sensitivity of the actual Intuos but works like a charm and it has more than 9 years, its surface is way better than the actual models in terms of wearing.

I also have the Cintiq Companion, iPad and tried the Samsung tablets. My honest opinion is that, of course Wacom has a very nice reputation and is one of the best brands, but with the Cintiq Companion there is a lot of hype that makes us blind going like crazy for it but for me, after a while has some defects that i consider "no nice" on this very expensive toy.

I like it for refining works on Photoshop and give them the "perfect" look in terms of lights, effects etc...
Of course it offers us the possibility of working with hard to move software for a regular tablet, like Photoshop, Zbrush and many others, but being honest when you require a lot of work to the machine its graphic power isn´t at the same level to the high price. Just enough.

Another thing is.... yes, you can move yourself with it wherever, but... that doesn´t means that you are going to feel comfortable heheh! and of course if you want to use all the capabilities of it, you´ll need the keyboard, which means a desk or a table (forget the idea of painting on bed hahaha it was one of my dreams but it´s heavy and uncomfortable.
One more thing... who says that it doesn´t scratch the surface? Maybe not like crazy, but it does with the use (for 20 bucks you can use a screen protector what gives you a "paper" feeling and it´s mate, i bought one from Amazon, but be very carefull when installing it with all the dust around, cause it´s big ;)

Some other small things make me think that Wacom is on the good way, but not for this time with the Companion (anyone tried the GARBAGE of the speakers sound?) maybe in next generations i am sure that we´ll have a BEAST from Wacom, but for that premium price i expected a premium item on every aspect.

But in my opinion, if you want portability, sensitivity, power, PALM REJECTION (here i look at the iPad) and power enough for 90% of the needs of a tattooist, give it a try to the Samsung tablets. Yo can work with Sketchbook like a pro, it has 2048 sensitivity levels, and the best thing form me is that you can work everywhere, travelling, etc... its portability and ease of use (and the price) are one of the things that makes it worth the money 100%.

I´m a digital tech consumer, and of course i like my Companion, but sometimes when i am using the Galaxy Note 10.1 almost all the time, i look at my Companion, iPad... and i think that they are a nice expensive toys, specially the iPad, which i won´t buy if i already had the Note 10.1 And for sure when the next generation arrives, i´ll sell it ASAP.
To anyone who think that it has limits just take a look outside about what some artists can do with a Note 10.1 ( F.E. tattoo artists like Mr Dist)
By the way he is also a Cintiq owner heheheh

Indeed. The companion is still heavy and features the worst stand in the industry. I agree with you Wacom is pretty hyped up and with al the available technology they didn't excelled much with their latest releases. Time to bring 4k display to the tablet. Even and iPad or note has a better display.

The note is on my list of things to buy. I've heard and have seen nothing but good things. That skull of yours came out pretty bad ass.

As far as Ipad goes, I've tried all styluses just to realize how much Bluetooth styluses suck. The only thing I can draw with on an iPad is with the cheap fat tip stylus. It sucks but it's better than Bluetooth ones.

Hopefully, IPad Pro will cover the basis. Despite the claims from Steve Jobs about styluses, check all the patent Apple filed for styluses devices. Rumors say that IPad Pro may be a killer for many companies. We'll see!

Zbel
02-12-2015, 06:51 AM
hey..
after have done some research on companions etc.. i have ended up looking for a 22HD Cintiq..
i think it will fit my needs for sketching and all .. its about the same pricertag as the companion, but the
display is bigger and that is what i am going for...

eduki
02-12-2015, 02:36 PM
By the way... Today I received an email from Wacom about the new cintiq 2...
The funny thing is that after reading it completely I can't find where are the amazing changes on it, I read about more disk room but not much more...

Gaston, the Note 10.1 has the same system that Waco uses with the pen. It is recognized by the surface once it's close to the screen, so there are no problems resting your hand on it (in the opposite side, the iPad sucks doing this, can't understand how at this point they didn't decide to adopt a similar system, let's see in a near future)

Guys, don't think that "bigger is better" for a nice digital design work. 90‰ of the time that big size means a lot of work for the hand movement, not only painting (menus, etc)
For me the companion screen size is more than enough ;)

fkirons
02-12-2015, 06:45 PM
By the way... Today I received an email from Wacom about the new cintiq 2...
The funny thing is that after reading it completely I can't find where are the amazing changes on it, I read about more disk room but not much more...

Gaston, the Note 10.1 has the same system that Waco uses with the pen. It is recognized by the surface once it's close to the screen, so there are no problems resting your hand on it (in the opposite side, the iPad sucks doing this, can't understand how at this point they didn't decide to adopt a similar system, let's see in a near future)

Guys, don't think that "bigger is better" for a nice digital design work. 90‰ of the time that big size means a lot of work for the hand movement, not only painting (menus, etc)
For me the companion screen size is more than enough ;)
After reading about the Galaxie Note Pro 12.2" decided to pick one up cheap on eBay. It was a certified refurbished 32g for $369. With all original accessories. Portability to me is a must to keep me going from shop, home, traveling. I'll keep you posted about the results.

fkirons
02-12-2015, 06:48 PM
hey..
after have done some research on companions etc.. i have ended up looking for a 22HD Cintiq..
i think it will fit my needs for sketching and all .. its about the same pricertag as the companion, but the
display is bigger and that is what i am going for...

The Cintiq 22 and the Companion are two diff animals the Cintiq line are just displays that will require a computer to operate the software. The companion is a Computer+Tablet combo. The Companion 2 can now be used as a display when hooked up to a computer.

eduki
02-13-2015, 10:31 AM
After reading about the Galaxie Note Pro 12.2" decided to pick one up cheap on eBay. It was a certified refurbished 32g for $369. With all original accessories. Portability to me is a must to keep me going from shop, home, traveling. I'll keep you posted about the results.

For sure you´ll be more than happy with it.
Download the sketchbook for Android, usually when purchasing a samsung product, you use to have the Sketchbook extended tools for free At the "Samsung Gifts" Widget on your device.
Otherwise it´s like 3,90 bucks or so... worths the money. (I paid for it and later i realized that i could have it for free XDD)

inkinwi
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
I use my galaxy note 3 or my galaxy note tab 10.1. Both have pressure sensitivity in its spen.

fkirons
03-07-2015, 09:22 AM
After trying everything out there basically I came to the conclusion that my Galaxie Note Pro 12.2 is the best investment I have done. I bought one for 400 refurbished. The tablet is as accurate as a cintiq. It uses Wacom technology so you get all the bells and whistles. 1024 pressure sensitivity levels. Although I can only notice 4 levels to be honest. But for my everyday sketching is amazing. I tried it for stenciling with Photoshop Touch and it's amazing. The table comes with a stylus but I went ahead and ordered one from wacom for the Galaxie and it's perfect.

Unless you can get what you need out of all the apps that are out there and need a PC table, the Galaxie Note Pro 12.2 wins in many say over the expensive Wacom Companion. This table will not replace a Cintiq desktop but it will get you everything you need in just 7mm of thickness.

Math
07-09-2015, 07:43 AM
After trying everything out there basically I came to the conclusion that my Galaxie Note Pro 12.2 is the best investment I have done. I bought one for 400 refurbished. The tablet is as accurate as a cintiq. It uses Wacom technology so you get all the bells and whistles. 1024 pressure sensitivity levels. Although I can only notice 4 levels to be honest. But for my everyday sketching is amazing. I tried it for stenciling with Photoshop Touch and it's amazing. The table comes with a stylus but I went ahead and ordered one from wacom for the Galaxie and it's perfect.

Unless you can get what you need out of all the apps that are out there and need a PC table, the Galaxie Note Pro 12.2 wins in many say over the expensive Wacom Companion. This table will not replace a Cintiq desktop but it will get you everything you need in just 7mm of thickness.

Would you recommend this option for a 'on the go' solution? Rather than investing in a companion or a surface pro?

sacredsouls
07-09-2015, 09:46 AM
I have the companion and I love it. I know a lot of people say the screen is to small but I don't find that being the case at all as it is bigger then any sketchbook I have ever had. Sometimes I wish I had gotten a note 12.2 instead because of price and what not but I love having a full PC that runs full photoshop on the go. I am bummed I didn't know the companion 2 was coming out after 3 months of having my first version. Always the case for me. Oh well I still love mine after having it for quite sometime and it fits right in my backpack and I can take it anywhere.

Math
07-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Doesnt the galaxy run full photoshop?

eduki
07-09-2015, 07:10 PM
There is no tablet running full photoshop. Just Cintiq Companion (wich is a portable PC more than a tablet)
IOS or Android just have a small version of photoshop, very limited compared with the original Photoshop but enough for some things.

e_Bangs
07-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Surface pro 3 runs adobe full suite im using cs6.

OwlsDen
08-23-2015, 11:20 AM

It's funny, after a very hot summer and not using my Motion Computing tablet because it gets a little warm for my liking. I looked in to buying a galaxy note, based on your review here. Although I used the mobile version of sketchbook vs the desktop version and decided I need a full desktop version. So I got a very capable and very diminutive Asus VivoTab Note 8 for 100€. It's basically the surface pro 2 in a smaller 8"case. Runs full windows and can thus run full versions of programs. So far I am loving it, and even though it is very small I love the size. I can sit on the couch with my family and sketch very comfortably. I may eventually upgrade it to a 10 or 12" model but for now this is exactly what I wanted. Portability and comfort.

I also ordered the older Wacom UP911 ( like the original Modbook ) stylus to use with it as that is compatible with all penable devices including some of the Samsung models . Can't wait to put some felt tips in there and relax.

ATS
08-23-2015, 03:56 PM
It's funny, after a very hot summer and not using my Motion Computing tablet because it gets a little warm for my liking. I looked in to buying a galaxy note, based on your review here. Although I used the mobile version of sketchbook vs the desktop version and decided I need a full desktop version. So I got a very capable and very diminutive Asus VivoTab Note 8 for 100€. It's basically the surface pro 2 in a smaller 8"case. Runs full windows and can thus run full versions of programs. So far I am loving it, and even though it is very small I love the size. I can sit on the couch with my family and sketch very comfortably. I may eventually upgrade it to a 10 or 12" model but for now this is exactly what I wanted. Portability and comfort.

I also ordered the older Wacom UP911 ( like the original Modbook ) stylus to use with it as that is compatible with all penable devices including some of the Samsung models . Can't wait to put some felt tips in there and relax.
Mine too, but it's performed really well everyday for me since I first bought it. (your recommendation)
Yes it is a bit big and heavy so I'll definately check out the Asus VivoTab Note.
The Motion coupled to the Pentax thermal printer is a game changer 100% :)

OwlsDen
08-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Mine too, but it's performed really well everyday for me since I first bought it. (your recommendation)
Yes it is a bit big and heavy so I'll definately check out the Asus VivoTab Note.
The Motion coupled to the Pentax thermal printer is a game changer 100% :)

Agreed 100%. I do a guest spot occasionally at a shop with no stencil maker and I have gone in, drawn up an idea and printed a stencil more than once. It has easily paid for itself. I also love the Adobe CC as I save my files there and it doesn't matter if I bring the tablet to the shop as I just open it at the shop and print a stencil out.

e_Bangs
08-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Surface pro 3 i7 model with manga studios for $45.... YouTube tutorials.... Or pay $10 for Adobe and buy mirror me for $71

slicksteel
08-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Any body try
HUIONsee tones of them different models on ebay and amazon for under 500

Lonesome
08-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Is anyone using a screen mirroring app with Samsung note 12.2 and Windows sketchbook pro? The Android version of Sketchbook pro isn't as complete as windows and it would be great to be able to mirror the full version without a router. Any suggestions?

OwlsDen
08-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Is anyone using a screen mirroring app with Samsung note 12.2 and Windows sketchbook pro? The Android version of Sketchbook pro isn't as complete as windows and it would be great to be able to mirror the full version without a router. Any suggestions?

That's exactly why I got a windows 8 tablet. The desktop version is so much better

Zapp
09-02-2015, 06:43 AM
That's exactly why I got a windows 8 tablet. The desktop version is so much better

@OwlsDen ,you got PM !