PDA

View Full Version : Swashdrive Gen4....

Alec_Benjamin
06-05-2011, 07:03 AM
So a lovely looking GEN4 has popped up on fleabay, and as I know very little about the model myself, I was wondering if anyone had any reviews or technical information about it?
Cheers all.

eric03
06-05-2011, 07:23 AM
im not too sure whats up with the gen 4 but ive been using swashdrives gen 6 for years n absolutely love them. i worked with a guy who had the gen 5 n it seems pretty similar to this gen 4. if it is a true swash, u gotta expect the same quality. if not for n e thing else, it would b awesome to have it just from a collectors point of view bc there are so few of them around. im jealous right now bc if i had the funds id b snatching it up from everyone right now.haha. from my experience though, if u want a swashdrive and have yet to use one, try to get urself a gen 6 to try out. the new ones look great but seem to have too many bells n whistles n the old ones are well...old, so not too many ppl will know how they compare to eachother unless they have all the generations from the 4 on. either way, id say get it if u have the money to spend bc even if u dont like it to use, it would b a good investment to re-sell in the future to collectors.good luck.

Alec_Benjamin
06-05-2011, 08:01 AM
I have the gen6 and gen7 myself, personally I prefer the gen 7 with the hard clip to the 6, seems a little smoother to me.
I was just curious as to how the gen 4's motor and speed compares really! Plus as you said, it'd be a great collectors item.

slicksteel
06-05-2011, 11:56 AM
From what i have heard the gen 4 have a low torque high speed motor that runs up to 6volts max-Had the gen5,6. The gen5 which is the other side very high torque motor that requires high voltage -good for solid fills only. What I always hated about all the gen upto the 6 is the motor shaft would push out when you get large mags and liners as the motor is upright. They seem to have solved this buy putting the top cage and bearing in place which would make it run smoother and more constant with the hard clip.
also the frame material changed after the gen 4 it is more of a resin based instead of plastic.also they added a front bearing in the needlebar clip area as from what i have heard they were rough on gromments and not as smooth.