PDA

View Full Version : swashdrive compact 8 or a halo????

thadjackson
02-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Just looking for some input I am going to get a new toy and its between the swashdrive compact the gen 8 the halo and the hyper v3... any input wether good or bad is very much appreciated

OwlsDen
02-21-2015, 03:07 PM
I would go for the compact swashdrive. Or the Gen 8.

serial1313
02-21-2015, 03:10 PM
I have used all three. I would get a Halo. (The Gen 8 that I had was the first version) I have never used the compact. Also a thing to consider & is the reason why I sold most of my rotaries. IF you have to ship them back to the builder for any reason, the Halo is from the US & all of the machines from overseas you have to hope that your machine doesn't get stuck in customs, lost, or stolen. Not to mention you have to be without your machine for up to a month or more.

serial1313
02-21-2015, 03:12 PM
I would go for the compact swashdrive. Or the Gen 8. Haha! I didn't see your post until I posted. The two together should create some real confusion. Haha!

clint morrison
02-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Another vote for Swashdrive. The adjustable stroke is key with rotaries IMO. My fav machine I've tried so far is the gen 8 adjustable stroke. Haven't tried the compact yet. Pushes carts with ease. The new FK looks pretty sweet too though if you use carts. The edge x I think?

OwlsDen
02-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Another vote for Swashdrive. The adjustable stroke is key with rotaries IMO. My fav machine I've tried so far is the gen 8 adjustable stroke. Haven't tried the compact yet. Pushes carts with ease. The new FK looks pretty sweet too though if you use carts. The edge x I think?

That's a point I would like to make too, if you are going to FK route I would consider a Direkt or the Edge X if you need give. I have always heard that the Halo had some vibration and I love smooth machines. The sawshes have almost no vibration and the Direkt has almost no vibration at all when used with carts. I use mine mostly for 3rl work in tight detail spots.

I also don't have the 8 or the compact. I do have a Gen2, Gen5, two Gen6s, and a Gen7 so I can assume the performance of the 8 and the compact would be a stronger version of the 7 which I love btw

fkirons
02-21-2015, 05:13 PM
I have to agree too, at this point there are better options for cart machines. I have both the swash compact and the Edge X. I like them both. :)

zack_fa1r
02-21-2015, 07:56 PM
I've been using a hyper v3 the past few days and prefer it over my gen 8 cutback......

Patrick
02-21-2015, 08:33 PM
I've been using the Swashdrive compact for everything this week and it really does handle anything amazingly well. There is some vibration with it. But it's not bad at all.
I've owned all the machines you mentioned and would have to say the compact is head and shoulders above the others. Unless you don't use carts.
If you're using standard needles, I'd go with the gen8 as an all 'rounder with the V3 a close second.

darkness
02-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Swashdrive compact , i like it more as the gen8 cutback because it can run really without give and its works very well with standart needles too . The halo has to much Vibration for me and i never love the shredder issue on the hyper and balance for me.

thadjackson
02-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Wow thanks for the info guys... always good info on this site.. I am veering towards a swashdrive I would go for the edge x but I will be using standard needles as well as carts.. so mow I just need to decide between the compact and the gen 8.. I wish the swash was made in the usa.. it would make it a no brainer

clint morrison
02-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Gen 8 with adjustable stroke is the way to go IMO. But it's all personal preference. Those little weights make a big difference in hit as well.

asA
02-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Wow thanks for the info guys... always good info on this site.. I am veering towards a swashdrive I would go for the edge x but I will be using standard needles as well as carts.. so mow I just need to decide between the compact and the gen 8.. I wish the swash was made in the usa.. it would make it a no brainer

Swash drives customer service is really good. It generally takes 4 days for shipping if you need anything...

thadjackson
02-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Have you tried the compact??. I was wondering if there was more vibration than the gen 8

thadjackson
02-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Thanks.. I like the sound of that

asA
02-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I haven't tied the gen 8.. I run the compact everyday though. There is some vibration with the give bar, there is alot less with the solid bar. I haven't really found a machine that has give and zero vibration..... maybe the V3 hyper.

thadjackson
02-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks... have you tried the compact with the standard anvil and needles or just carts..

Panos tattoo
02-23-2015, 03:25 AM
if you are making a transaction to cartriges i would get the edge than the swashdrive.both companies have top customers service but fk is in america so its a plus for you.the second reason is in anycase you want to sell or trade it if you dont get along with it , it will get off your hands before you even post it lol.

Ofeloner
02-23-2015, 08:13 PM
The edge x has give and zero vibration,

thadjackson
03-14-2015, 03:42 PM
small update the swashdrive gen 8 is fucking amazing.. i havent found anything it cant do yet... gonna throw some carts at it real soon.. thanks for all the responses

inkkbully
03-16-2015, 01:04 AM
My swashdrive whip is awesome.... 3 years in not a problem.... My Gen 8 adjustable 1 year an still going... i hear the customer service is great
but to tell you the truth i have never had a problem at all!

darkness
03-16-2015, 04:23 AM
hat never a problem and service is fast and great -getting parts to try or upgrade for free in 4 days to germany !

asA
01-19-2016, 11:32 PM
New brushless gen 8 on the site.. Super limited numbers for now. Go grab one