PDA

View Full Version : Flying with machines ?

bretttattoos
02-22-2015, 05:07 PM
I plan on doing some traveling this year and I've never flown for work so I'm wondering if I can keep my machines in my carry on? I'm paranoid about losing them in luggage haha. Who flies for work? How do you pack so that you get through security and all without fear of losing equipment?

OwlsDen
02-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Before I settled down I used to fly international to work. I used to check everything and put my machines in carry on. Never had any real issues. I always figured if my baggage got lost I would at least have my machines.

billannand
02-22-2015, 07:34 PM
I brought my machines and power supply in my carry on. They had no problems. They did go through all the other stuff in my checked bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nivek
02-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Machines have always travelled with me and never been an issue - they know what they are

bretttattoos
02-23-2015, 12:50 AM
I take it they are funny about inks though ?

billannand
02-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Inks were ok they do pressurize so watch it when you open them and make sure they have the lid on tight. It was the disinfectant that they went for. They didn't toss it but they did leave me a nice note saying why they went in there. I brought all bottles with the OG labels so they had no questions what was in them to be safe.

bretttattoos
02-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Ink would have to be in luggage though right? I guess a good plastic container to hold the bottles in case one explodes or leaks it won't ruin my luggage

cruzta
02-24-2015, 12:51 PM
you can also take some gloves cut the fingers off and use them to cover the bottle tops .incase they do expolde there will not be ink all over the other bottles ....i also but them in ziplock bag just added protection.

nivek
02-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Ziploc bags for inks, if you use the snack size and put one bottler per bag then put them in a larger freezer you minimize the mess if they explode.

billannand
02-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Ya I had my lining black leak a bit on the way back but only got all over 8 bottles or so.

Mog
02-25-2015, 02:23 PM
I never had a problem, lots of curiousity sometimes. I now take absolutely everything carry-on apart from inks and needles after a bag went missing between uk and Holland- they found it two hours later and it looked like it'd been kicked up and down the runway- whole flight case was battered dented and split open!

DougHardy
03-24-2015, 01:28 PM
20 years ago bringing my machines on board would always cause delays and weird looks, as well as the occasional calling of a supervisor. Now I just keep them in my carry on and don't even mention the damn things. Them tv shows gots people knowin' what our secrets are! haha

ALSO: to fly with pigments, YES, check them with your luggage. I've got this formula down for preventing leaks and it's worked great for me.

1: take the cap off your pigment bottle and clean the inside of the cap and the screw-top of the bottle. Make sure there is no pigment on either part, as leaving it there can cause a capillary action and leakage under the air pressure in the luggage compartment.
2: take cling film (such as saran wrap) and place it over the bottle opening. Make sure you put it on tightly and deliberately, not loosely. Using Press-N-Seal is also good to ensure you have a tight seal on the rim of the bottle opening.
3: Screw cap back on to the bottle.
4: Use more cling film to completely wrap each individual bottle. Don't be stingy with the cling film at this point; really wrap the bottle well and make sure the wrap is tight.
5: Put the bottles into ziplock bags, then they are ready to go.

Using this method, I've never had a leak unless I forgot to properly clean the inside of the cap and the bottle threads. Obviously if you have a new, unopened bottle of pigment with a seal under the cap you can go right to the part of just wrapping the whole bottle with cling film and putting them into ziplock bags afterwards.

Also, DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THE CLING FILM OR SELF-SEALING BAGS! Discount brands will lead to sadness and pigment all over the place.