PDA

View Full Version : Swashdriive cutback whip vs swashdrive compact

joelhague
06-29-2015, 03:25 AM
looking to buy a new machine, looking for advice, use t tech mostly, i know the whip pushes them really well , and the give on the whip is pretty amazing even with carts, I used a co workers a year or so ago, I was wondering if the compact can go as soft as the whip? does anyone have pics of the two machines side by side for size comparison? , does the whip have extra "magic" because of this whipping action, it really is one of the only rotary like it, giving a lot more slap then other machines, but with give, just like a coil. I am wondering how the compact compares in feeling to that, I will probably end up getting both but can only afford one at a time, Any input is appreciated.

it seems to me the whip is making a comeback, i know it was one of the best rotary liners i have ever tried especially when making the transition from coil. I am used to using direct drives like the hawk right now, and used the edge for quite some time.

joelhague
06-30-2015, 01:26 AM
Bump , no input anyone?

Patrick
06-30-2015, 08:31 AM
I have a standard whip (not the cutback) and a compact. They're both amazing machines. The whip can go quite a bit softer than the compact. But the compact feels more solid with carts. The compact is a bit louder. But barely noticeable. The weight differs (whip feels lighter and compact is a bit top heavy). If you're comfortable with the hawk and edge, I'd say start with the compact. But you can't really go wrong with either one. I'm not at the shop for a few days, so I can't get a pic for you. But I'll post one when I can. Hope that helps.

joelhague
06-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Thank you for the reply you rock the pic would be appreciated ! Do you think the compact goes softer then the edge x mine didn't go soft at all

Patrick
06-30-2015, 03:44 PM
No worries, man. I'll be back to work on Saturday. So I'll post a pic then. And yes, the compact give has a different feel from the edge. But I think it does go softer.

joelhague
06-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Right on I think I'm pretty set on a whip the give on cartridge needles is the best I have ever tried so I really want another it seems a lot of guys are posting up sick work on the swashdrive Facebook page who are all using ships right now

Patrick
06-30-2015, 05:58 PM
If the cutback is anything like the standard whip, I think you'll be stoked with it. I love mine.

stickmann
07-01-2015, 01:27 AM
I used the compact for the first time today, (I've had the whip for two years). The compact is by far the most versatile rotary I have used. I have been a DD user for about 6yrs and this thing blew me away. It is so easy to do everything with. I use ttechs and kingpin disposable cart grips and they work great together. I wasn't a fan of give on rotaries until today. I did this today, all done with the compact. Bug pin 3 liner, bug pin 9 liner, bug pin 13 curved mag.

Patrick
07-07-2015, 01:49 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/07/be7fb82cc28e0d9e4f72b6ea0b9a9683.jpg
Sorry for the delay, man. Here's a shot of both of them together.

joelhague
07-09-2015, 02:47 AM
thank you for doing that man, i am really interested in the compact i think i might have to go with one of those i think it would be pretty sweet with all those options

stickmann
07-27-2015, 09:12 PM
So I've used the compact for a few weeks and I keep getting this weird fluctuation in speed. I had the same thing happen with one of the whips but chalked it up to the motor possibly going bad as it was a few years old. I tried two different critical supplies and I'm using a high quality rca cable. I run it on constant without using a foot pedal and it clearly changes pitch and speed randomly. Anybody else have issues with this, or have any idea how to stop it? It's pretty annoying. I have lubed the rose joint as suggested.

chris-in-cali
07-27-2015, 09:30 PM
ya man...i have experienced it as well....its really, really weird

it almost seems to me like it has something to do with friction caused from the drive bar hitting or rubbing in the grip.
i can not figure it out.....it doesnt happen all the time, and seems to happen at the most random times
but it seems to happen , when the machine has been running for awhile....2-3 hours
i hope its not a flaw in the motor or engineering of it...because i fucking love my swash combo, the best cart machine i have used
i dont thingk it is your power supply or cable...because it happens to me aswell

would be really interested to figure it out

im gonna try it with the t-tech plunger bar...and see if it still happens
let me know if you figure it out man...because i am stumped as well!!

Jesse Phillips
07-28-2015, 12:50 AM
I got a gen 8 cutback about 4 months ago and it did the same thing. I trouble shot all through it to no avail until I arrived at the stay up spring. Its super easy to take out and put in so I took it out. The machine stopped fluctuating and runs Amazing now with more power and subtlety.

chris-in-cali
07-28-2015, 04:46 AM
good advice , but the combo doesnt have a stay up spring, that job falls to the carts
but you got me thinking a bit, maybe it is the tension in the carts
since it really only happens when it is loaded
....i use t-tech which has less tension the cheyenne

Jesse Phillips
07-28-2015, 10:07 AM
Try running it with standard tubes and needles?

Patrick
07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Hmm, that's weird... I've got a Whip, Compact and a Gen8 and haven't had any power fluctuation problems with any of them. What kind of volts are you guys running them at? I usually keep mine between 8 and 10 volts. All with t-techs.

stickmann
07-28-2015, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking it might be the give system also, I got a short video of it happening during a tattoo but couldn't get it to happen while I wasn't tattooing but with it still loaded. I run t-techs and everything between 7v-7.8v, I also wondered if the motor was being underpowered. Sorry for hijacking the thread, just thought it might be info that could affect someone picking one up.

*edit. I also cut a push bar from a kingpin disposable cart grip and installed that at the same length, and lubed the ball to see if it was a friction issue. there was no change in performance.

Jesse Phillips
07-28-2015, 06:27 PM
7.5 to 8.7 volts on a new critical g2 cx1 and cx2. Standard needles and tubes.
I asked about this on the swash facebook group and Tony Oliver said it's probably some sort of oscillation in the swash plate. (Gen 8 adjustable cutback) I then asked if it was normal to which I received no reply.
I should probably email him and Im sure I could get a good answer, they have been awesome with all of my other questions.

stickmann
07-30-2015, 05:01 PM
I tried switching to the solid bar which did nothing for the fluctuation, lining with that setup was a nightmare for some reason. I have had to switch back to my DD until I get a response to my email from Swashdrive.

ATS
07-30-2015, 06:33 PM
I have a Compact and so far (thankfully) haven't had any of these fluctuation issues.

I'm really enjoying it.. by far the most versitile rotary I've used to date. So easy to dial in exactly what you need on the fly.

Jesse Phillips
07-30-2015, 06:46 PM
So you guys that aren't having fluctuations, what power supply are you using?
Those that are?

Ofeloner
07-30-2015, 08:02 PM
I got the compact, it had fluctuation problems,,so I sent it back to them, they fixed it, :). I run a critical,

Patrick
07-30-2015, 08:27 PM
I've been using a Critical CX1, Gen 1 with everything for the last four years. No power fluctuations at all.
Ofeloner, did they tell you what the issue was?

chris-in-cali
07-31-2015, 05:42 AM
i would be interested as well....Ofeloner (http://www.rotarytattoo.com/member.php/7831-Ofeloner)

ATS
07-31-2015, 06:32 AM
So you guys that aren't having fluctuations, what power supply are you using?
Those that are?
I run a Critical CX1 G2.

chris-in-cali
08-01-2015, 12:30 AM
i ran mine today for about 5 hours...not one fluctuation problem
man, it's just so weird and random when it happens

justinsmith
08-04-2015, 12:36 AM
I use the whip for lining with ttek and the compact (fucking awesome) for everything else. Got a drawer full of other top machines that don't even get a look anymore!

stickmann
08-04-2015, 01:38 AM
Tony has been in contact with me and we are trying to trouble shoot the issue. Will let y'all know if a culprit is found.

pete
08-04-2015, 04:55 PM
I had this problem with my gen 8 which I cured by putting a metal ball on the end of the needle bar as I use bishop grips and it's a large hole thru it and I worked out that as I moved the machine around the needle bar wasn't always hitting the cart plunger dead centre so sometimes it was pushing the plunger to the side wall of the grip causing more friction and making the machine fluctuate.this cured my problems and the machine doesn't miss a beat at any speed.

stickmann
08-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Ok, after discussing the issue with Tony it is their opinion that it's the swashplate bearing. Tony has offered to send me an updated one asap, and even offered to make a video showing me how to swap it out. Or I could send it to them if I didn't feel comfortable doing it (I think I can handle it haha). I am thoroughly impressed with the service I've received from these guys ��.

Ofeloner
08-06-2015, 10:48 PM
They never told me, they had me send it in, then I got a mesaage that they are just going to replace my machine, then they mailed it back, :)

Panos tattoo
10-10-2015, 05:09 AM
i use the standard and cutback whips as daily runners and i need to say they are my holy grail on rotaries.i used most rotaries out there and through trades and purchases i got back to whips again.i was even more impressed with the cutback vs the standard.They combine the best of both worlds,rotaries and coil machines.whip doesnt also have the vibrations of the gen 8 and it feels more comfortable in my hand.the only thing i did on my standard whip was to upgrade it with a needle runner.