PDA

View Full Version : cover up -lined and shaded with workhorse rotary.

mike h
06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
this was the first tattoo that i used the workhorse rotary on.made light work of the cover up as the eagle it went over was pretty strong -about 3 hours work ran at 4 volts.

Mr.Taboo
06-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice one , that eye really pops.

phil geck
06-16-2011, 01:26 AM
that was really three hours!!? holy shit! what size needles did you use? looks great man.

possessed2sk8
06-16-2011, 01:32 AM
too much blue

elbo
06-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Im loving the blue and its done a great job of covering the old ink,Bet the client was very pleased.

mike h
06-16-2011, 03:10 AM
thanks for comments-yes i agree there is a lot of blue ,but client was insisting on the colour scheme -all sentimental stuff to do with his kids,given the choice i would have used a lot more black and grey!iused a tight 9 liner size 10 for the tight lines and did my usual trick of spreading with a lighter for the bolder lines.all shading waswith a 9 mag size 12 with a huge spread between the 2 layers-all needles are lou molloy brand -best all round needles i've tried.

possessed2sk8
06-16-2011, 01:36 PM
yeah i think gray water would have worked out better sometimes customers are a pain in the ass about their sentimental bs. i think its our duty to step in sometimes and give our professional opinion though even if they are stubborn as hell we have to give it our best shot...btw this part of the forum is fully visible by the public (no account needed) and you just gave away all kinds of secrets to the scratchers out there

Administrator
06-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Have you been on Nick Baxter's forum, Mike Devreis' forum? All open to the public. I can also tell you that based on the site alylitics the vast majority of guest traffic is to the reviews section of the forum.

possessed2sk8
06-16-2011, 03:05 PM
So your saying its ok to pass on valued information from our trade to hacks because other dudes with names are doing it? People like that are one of the reasons why our trade has become so wattered down. I love tattooing and care about tattooing and I will continue to do it when the fad fades and I can no longer afford to do it for a living. So I'm gonna bitch and moan about all the stuff that's destroying it until people start paying attention to what's happening. Everyone is not an artist and cannot start tattooing just because its cool or they think they get rich off of it.

possessed2sk8
06-16-2011, 03:17 PM
To clarify I'm not saying its not ok to have an open forum but that some of us should watch what we share in public. And mike apologies for hijacking your thread to rant

phil geck
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
yeah sorry bout that... i asked him what he used for that tattoo, because i have been having trouble lately with my rotary packing color... and i've been using mostly curved 15 mags sometimes bugpins... some tattoos have been coming back scabbed up. what mike said about using a 9 mag confirms that i have been using too big of mags for solid color... only stick to black n grey for those bigger mags....
oh shit did i just give away a secret?.... sorry bout that...
i think any tattooer's work speaks for it self.. my town is flooded with scratchers, i only get mad when i have to fix one of there tattoos.. there will always be scratchers and there will always be haters out there. its just something you have to deal with, if your good your work will speak for it self

Administrator
06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
To clarify, I am not saying its okay and I agree.
But the occasional slip up like this can probably be overlooked. I would love to lock the whole site down but it makes it hard for people to find the forum. Google makes us less popular in the ranking making people end up elsewhere.

The site is not run for any profit of any kind and is only a courtesy to the community. This means that when the site does get too big it will start to run at a personal loss. I like to see this project grow and information to be shared and new people here. No one really wants to talk to the same people online forever. I was in no way trying to put you down for your comment its just that it amazes me how easy it is to find NB or MD's forums with tons of info. Then again they have stuff to sell and search engine optimization on their sites is key to get the attention of people who want to buy stuff.

and now back to your regularly scheduled programming

mike h
06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
ok ,didnt realize that anyone could view this forum ,i always log in before viewing and thought eveyone had to before viewing posts.my apologies to anyone this has offended.

possessed2sk8
06-16-2011, 06:05 PM
No worries mike just trying to point that out.
admin i understand why its set up that way I hope I didn't come off to harsh
Phil I agree work speaks for itself and stand out against the scratchers but when you live in an over saturated areas with tattoo schools who give out licenses to scratchers who in turn open up shop right down the street from you its a big deal because the public still thinks just because its a legit shop they're gonna get Legit work. These dumb fucks are taking food off my table fuck that! Alot of amazing tattooers who have been in the game twice or 3 times as long as me, big names, are slow right now because of saturation and that's just b.s.

Administrator
06-17-2011, 01:55 AM
admin i understand why its set up that way I hope I didn't come off to harsh.

I need people like you on here to remind me of possible loop holes. You made a very valid point and was not harsh at all.

ok ,didnt realize that anyone could view this forum ,i always log in before viewing and thought eveyone had to before viewing posts.my apologies to anyone this has offended.

If you log out you can see what is locked. If you guys are interested in starting technique threads that will help legit members I would encourage it. Just best to keep them in the locked technique areas. :)

phil geck
06-17-2011, 02:39 AM
If you log out you can see what is locked. If you guys are interested in starting technique threads that will help legit members I would encourage it. Just best to keep them in the locked technique areas. :)
thats a good idea.. alot of the stuff on this website would be very helpful to anyone trying to learn.. and in most cases thats not a good idea..

Administrator
06-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Though there is always things you guys can share and teach eachother behind the curtain.

phil geck
06-17-2011, 02:47 AM
No worries mike just trying to point that out.
admin i understand why its set up that way I hope I didn't come off to harsh
Phil I agree work speaks for itself and stand out against the scratchers but when you live in an over saturated areas with tattoo schools who give out licenses to scratchers who in turn open up shop right down the street from you its a big deal because the public still thinks just because its a legit shop they're gonna get Legit work. These dumb fucks are taking food off my table fuck that! Alot of amazing tattooers who have been in the game twice or 3 times as long as me, big names, are slow right now because of saturation and that's just b.s.

yeah man that sucks big time! i live pretty close to san fran and i would even imagine trying to get a job there... i see neon lights coming out of peoples apartment windows saying TATTOOS... what the fuck is that... ive had a few friends move out of the city because of this...
i also got pretty offended when a local scratcher (that ive known for a long time) came by the shop and looked at what i was using.. a bishop... called me an hour later asking what the website was for the bishop rotary... mother fucker... i ended up telling him "No matter what you buy, its not the machine that makes you tattoo good. you gotta actually be a good tattooer then the machines help"

possessed2sk8
06-17-2011, 12:21 PM
True man in the end its only hard work and dedication that's gonna make you a better tattooer not any of the magic tools

Alie K
06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
This is a great and valid conversation and want to see it keep going but away from here.

I am rushing out to get to the NIX convention today and will probably split up this thread when I get home. Look for most of this to get broken off and put into the rants section. I am also looking at installing a "spoiler" plug in. Where if you post something in the open areas and you want to hide the technical part of it you can hide it from guests. Members will still see it but will need to click the show spoiler button.

They use it on sports forums when people post details about a game early and want to give a spoiler alert for those who might have missed the game.

possessed2sk8
06-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Awesome sounds good alie have fun

phil geck
06-19-2011, 03:37 AM
smart!

slicksteel
06-19-2011, 04:01 AM
Phil i love your work and this current setback is nothing-hang in there!

gangstajay
06-20-2011, 12:14 PM
nice cover up... looks good

jeffcovell
06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
When he comes back for a touchup tell him that you wanna throw yellow in all the highlight spots on the fish that you left blank, it will break up the blue monotany a little and give a complimenary color for the viewer.

phil geck
06-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Phil i love your work and this current setback is nothing-hang in there!
Thank you! i've been trying to use smaller groupings of needles.. it seems to be helping so far..