PDA

View Full Version : Surely someone on here pre-ordered the Lacenano machine

Butternuts
08-20-2015, 10:47 AM
I wanna hear a review on this over dramatized, debated, mudslinging, name calling, feeling hurting piece of machinery!! Seen they shipped all their orders out and people started receiving them so surely someone on here has one or has one coming so don't be scared...Post your review!! I'm pretty darn curious as I'm thinking it's either going to be really really good or its going to be really really bad.

Butternuts
09-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Noone?? I took the plunge, machine should be here Friday or Monday. Been seeing a few guys posting some pretty killer work done with them so all drama and bashing aside I'm curious as hell to give this thing a go. I've owned several high end rotaries (Swiss, Bishop, Spektra Halo, Swashdrive Whip and Gen 8, Kubins, HM) so I'm curious how this thing stacks up. I will post a review once I get some time with it if anyone is interested in hearing it.

thesmokingmirror
09-02-2015, 08:35 PM
lol ive been watching this thread nothing but crickets. I am curious to see how it performs thanks for posting

Butternuts
09-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Hahahah I'll be the whipping boy I guess. Been talking back and forth with a guy from Germany that posted some of his work to their facebook page and so far he had nothing but good things to say about it so I'm pumped to try it out for myself. If this thing performs like it's supposed to and I don't have to take my gloves off to make adjustments to it or worry about where I put it down at or contaminate it in general b/c you can throw it in the autoclave when you're done then holy shit pickles. I even messaged them just to confirm "can I really just throw this thing in the autoclave" and they insisted it will withstand it and they have machines that have just been continuously autoclaved and after 200+ runs through it didn't miss a beat so we'll see. The more I've been looking into this thing the more my Swashdrives are starting to look like dinosaurs haha. Hope it lives up to the hype b/c I was extremely hesitant on buying it. This is what I do for a living day in and day out and what supports my family so anything that's going to make my job easier or have the possibility of producing better results I'm going to at least try it.

Cyberitual
09-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Why dont you just buy one of John Clarks and be done with it?

Butternuts
09-03-2015, 12:42 AM
Why dont you just buy one of John Clarks and be done with it?

Nothing about heavy machines appeal to me. I rode motocross for close to 20 years so my wrists have taken some serious abuse. The fact that the needle always stops hanging out of the tube is a huge deal breaker. I feel we deal with enough hazards on a day to day basis. There are people walking around and in and out of our shops who have Hep, HIV, and all other kinds of nasty shit and either don't know it yet or are too embarrassed to say anything. The last thing I want to worry about is going to reach for something on my work station and getting a needle stick injury due to something like that. No thanks.

Cyberitual
09-03-2015, 03:32 AM
28789 under 3.5 by the original maker. Needle stops up, looks better but you go ahead and buy that other crap!

Butternuts
09-03-2015, 09:59 AM
You're doing some serious nut hanging bud. 2007-2010 I pioneered the idea of full graphic vinyl skins for guitars so if someone wanted to change the finish of their guitar they could buy a skin custom made for it and it looked every bit as good as a professional airbrush job and for under $100.00. I took out a business loan, purchased the best printer and laminator I could afford and literally poured my heart and soul into this project for years, perfecting it the best I could. I sponsored bands, visited countless music stores, internet advertising, website, etc. I've made skins for the Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival for several years for Ibanez. Back when I started this there was NOONE offering anything even remotely close, nothing on the internet, nowhere. I sold a lot through eBay and here and there from my website. Low and behold people with a lot more money, backing and support came along and seen potential in my product and copied it right down to my very detailed application instructions. I was pissed, sure, but that's how the world works. Now you google guitar skins and there's a shit ton of companies that produce them now. I know exactly what this feels like but when it comes down to it, I didn't have the financial means to exploit what I was doing nor did I have the man power to fill huge orders so larger companies took my idea, printed them on better, faster printers and laminators and are making a shit ton of money off of what I started. It literally put me out of business b/c I couldn't compete. I didn't jump on social media calling these companies scum bags or make spoof pages of their stuff b/c that's not how a business owner should publicly be conducting themselves and once that shit's online you can't get rid of it. This Lace company is making a lot of claims on this machine being autoclavable, brushless motor, zero maintenance, etc. These are all excellent ideas are they not?? Maybe this thing will end up being a complete turd, won't know till I try it, but this should motivate other builders to the improve on what they're doing over there. I remember late 90's/early 2000's the American bicycle company Cannondale was working on motocross bikes and quads to compete with the Japanese and European models and instead of copying what they were all doing they totally reinvented the wheel. First time a motocross machine seen fuel injection, a reverse cyclinder head and many other "firsts". Well they released the machines and they were complete garbage and unreliable and soon closed their motorsports division. The Japanese and European companies then took their good ideas and actually made them work and hold up so now just about every motocross bike is fuel injected and the Yamahas have the reverse cylinder head. Cannondale didn't go up in arms claiming all this was their idea and bash all these other companies...This whole thing is just silly and for people to completely disregard a machine that potentially will make their job easier b/c people are being babies is absolute nonsense. One of my guitar skins before guitar skins existed anywhere else.28794

Butternuts
09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Yamaha and Kawasaki 450 motors. Yamaha came out with the first four stroke motocross bike, do you think Kawasaki took anything from Yamaha's engine design?? I didn't think it was a mystery that manufacturers do this shit.

No Iron Machines
09-03-2015, 10:48 AM
man, 4 stroke engine is like that, u cannot change nothing, is this, any brands u take

Cyberitual
09-03-2015, 11:07 AM
For having bad hands you can type alot... the only reason somebody copied you is because there are a lot of people like you, ones who pay less, who don't care, who don't support the the inventor but rather tail the pirates for scraps. My balls hang just right...

Butternuts
09-03-2015, 03:05 PM
For having bad hands you can type alot... the only reason somebody copied you is because there are a lot of people like you, ones who pay less, who don't care, who don't support the the inventor but rather tail the pirates for scraps. My balls hang just right...

That's because I have a lot to say to closed-minded people like you. The only reason someone copied me is b/c they seen I had a good, unprotected idea and had the means and finances to exploit it and produce it faster and in more quantities than I could. I was a one man show. That's freaking business, man. It's absolutely inevitable if someone comes up with a great idea someone else it going to dissect it and figure out how to make it better. Would Clarks magnetic rotary have been reworked so that the needle stops in the upward position if it wasn't for these Lacenano guys making that change?? Why did he make that change all of the sudden?? Because it's a good idea and his design was improved upon. That's all I have to say to you. I started this thread trying to get a review on a new machine, not bicker back and forth on the internet. To the guys on here looking for a review on this thing I just got it in two hours ago. When I get to put some time on it (probably going to wait and do a piece on a good friend of mine to try it out) I'll post my thoughts on it. I'm not supporting anything, if it sucks I'm going to tell ya it sucks but so far I'm pretty impressed right out of the box.

brandonmull
09-03-2015, 03:12 PM
this debate can go with any single device used at any point in time during the day.

Butternuts
09-03-2015, 03:16 PM
this debate can go with any single device used at any point in time during the day.

Absolutely.

john clark
09-03-2015, 04:15 PM
i like your
balls mike lol

Butternuts
09-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Got to do a little playing around with the machine last night. There is a little bit of a learning curve to it but once your adjust it to your liking it runs extremely smooth and quite. Did some color blending and it performed just a smoothly as my Gen 8 except it literally feels like you're holding a pencil. I'm digging the power supply, it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes and it feeds the machine smoothly and consitently. I found my sweet spot on it and didn't have to touch it the rest of the tattoo. No noticeable vibration at the speed I was running it at for color blending (didn't get to line with it yet) but the only time I feel vibration from the machine is it's turned way up and adjusted to where it's hitting it's hardest. Didn't get a whole lot of time on it yet but so far so good. Being able to adjust stroke and hit on they fly during a tattoo is pretty freaking awesome. So far I'm really impressed with it. Will report more as I get to do some lining and black and gray pieces with it.

Butternuts
09-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Got to work with the Lace some more today. This thing is awesome, I'm sold on it. It is a good feeling to be tattooing and be able to just adjust the machine to what you want it to do and not have to worrying about stopping to unglove or try to use paper towels as barriers b/c it's getting cleaned up afterwards and into the autoclave. Got one run through the autoclave today (nervous and shit doing so) but after she was dry and cooled down it ran like a top for my next session. It lines great, it blends color great, it does black and gray great (haven't done much color packing with it yet but I don't see that being an issue). Did I mention I autoclaved a f$*king tattoo machine and it still works!? Initial review, I love it and am going to get another one. I really hope that it holds up long term but time will tell what the reliability is.

slicksteel
09-04-2015, 11:50 PM
How is that vice working and lining up with the tube.It looks way different then standard frame geo that lines up with standard bars and tubes..can you post a pick of it setup. Does this machine fill strong and well built are flimsy?

DavidEngbaek
09-04-2015, 11:55 PM
i'm the proud owner of the FK Edge. how come no one calls out Gaston for essentially remaking a Cheyenne Thunder? i'l tell you why... He made it better.. Its the next step on a proven design? I can't see where the difference is in the situation.
I'm not taking sides... i'm just saying stuff evolve.
i for one probably won't buy a Lace Nano, probably won't buy a one of Mr. Clark's machines. but i do enjoy reading reviews on the machines , i'd like to actually hear about both machines in better detail.

Butternuts
09-05-2015, 12:50 AM
So far the vice works great. Haven't had any issues with the tube moving. The quality is definitely there, everything is smooth and feels pretty solid from what I can tell. It fires up after being ran through an autoclave...my Swashdrives won't do that lol. You're absolutely right David, everyone on here that uses T-Tech cartridges or any other Cheyenne tattoo cartridge rip off should be ashamed of themselves and are butt pirates settling for scraps from the true innovators...or something along those lines.

Cyberitual
09-05-2015, 12:56 AM
It doesn't matter if it runs great or runs shitty, anyone can build a machine or steal a machine and alter it or whatever, what bothers me in this industry just gets more ghetto everyday, by every penny that goes into the pirated or stolen products and ideas that are started by true industry workers. These people still insist on buying there shit, there crappy products from china or any other fake or remade or remodeled products. You show the industry your morals and your lack of concern for those who made this industry or keep it moving forward, you disrespect everyone of them... say what you want about yayaya everyone does... that makes it a GHETTO! I remember pnuema hyped the autoclave thing... huh. Anyways...

Butternuts
09-05-2015, 02:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpj734Bqn9U

Are those T-techs that you're promoting to work with your machine? Aren't T-techs a cheaper, made it China, remodeled version of the Cheyenne tattoo cartridge? Why don't you advertise that your machines are only compatible with genuine Cheyenne tattoo cartridges instead of showing that the T-techs fit and run nicely in them as well?? Please explain.

Heath
09-05-2015, 02:41 AM
How come no one calls out Gaston for essentially remaking a Cheyenne Thunder?
Because he can tattoo circles around most of us here, has tattoos, owns a tattoo studio and is a genuine guy. Can't say ANYTHING of the sort about the toolbags who copied John Clark NOR Cheyenne. I'm not racist so don't pull that card, but the guys at the Cheyenne booth couldn't even speak ENGLISH and had no tattoos. That's how much they care about tattooing. The Lace Nano guys are both two scrawny pansies with no tattoos, they own no studio, they know NOTHING about tattooing and they re-market John Clark's design down to everything. Don't compare Gaston to the Lace Nano morons.

Cyberitual
09-05-2015, 02:46 AM
Yep its a t tech and a cheyenne , both carts are samples givin to me from them along side a bunch a shitty ass Chinese sample needles i get in the mail each month for free. They make great pokers for my pipe... Post some pics of your tattoo you did with your new machine!!!

Butternuts
09-05-2015, 03:16 AM
Ya wanna see a half done tattoo pic? I worked on some sleeve fill in, a redo from another studio and started into this motorcycle pinup.

Butternuts
09-05-2015, 03:26 AM

Butternuts
09-05-2015, 03:31 AM
They make great pokers for my pipe...

hahahaha

Butternuts
09-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Got to do some black fill and line work with the machine today on this Polynesian king cobra piece. I've found a gripe with the machine I don't care for that I noticed today. The rubber band being so high up on the needle I'm not a fan of and you have to mess around with the number of bands you use so the needle doesn't rattle at lining speed, seems a little finicky to get right, more so than machines that you can mount the bands a little further down on the needle. I think some sort of needle bar tensioner should be in order maybe for the next generation of these. After I got the tension right it was smooth sailing and machine was consistent for the duration of the piece.

artoftatt2
09-05-2015, 08:54 PM
All I can add is john has been around a long time and when my machines breaks down he fixes it.. I can't support a company that has nothing to do
With tattooing besides profit and greed.. I guess your ok with scratchers too then? Because they do the same thing for this industry that this company does.. Feed the greed homie..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonmull
09-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Greed also comes from every artist that feels they constantly need an apprentice to narrow the field for all artists. Finish one apprentice, start another like a chain smoker. This is Tulsa and its insane.

Butternuts
09-05-2015, 10:07 PM
All I can add is john has been around a long time and when my machines breaks down he fixes it.. I can't support a company that has nothing to do
With tattooing besides profit and greed.. I guess your ok with scratchers too then? Because they do the same thing for this industry that this company does.. Feed the greed homie..

How do you know they aren't going to fix problems when/if they arise? I haven't heard of any of these failing yet. Have nothing to do with tattooing?? They brought an autoclavable machine to the table, one that actually works. How is that not upping the ante? How can anyone even argue that? I haveWho the fuck said anything about scratchers? You're comparing people that disregard other peoples health and safety by using dirty, unsterile equipment, to a company that put the time and effort into making a tattoo machine autoclavable to reduce the transmission of bio-filth from one client to the next?? Really dude?? That's a really stupid comparison....Ok, I can't even wrap my head around how stupid of a comparison that was hahaha, did you think that out? Don't you have some Bishop RCA cords to go burn up or something dude? Ok, I gave the machine a fair, honest review b/c I know there's a lot of guys on here that don't have the mentality of 10 year olds and like to hear machine reviews b/c they're all about making their jobs easier and using or finding tools that work or might work better for them. Review is done, I stated what I like and what I didn't like about the machine. Thumbs up from me and I'll be getting another one.

Cyberitual
09-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Pneuma had the autoclavable machine on the table first. Required special items to run it, just like this type of machine... they are not gods they are two kids who have no idea what they did by doing what they did and now I'm sure they know how it works around here and maybe they might age a few more years, wise up and "invent" something not polish stuff already in the market. Your support for them knowing the situation, we'll that's why things are they way they are...

brandonmull
09-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Ford, Chevy, gmc, dodge, ford , alpha Romeo, VW, what do you drive???????? I mean really , this is the real point, what car do you drive, what shampoo? What toothbrush? Do you walk? Ride a bike? A motor? Drive a truck? A car? A van? Who invented it first? Well screw you if you didn't buy it from them..... END OF DISCUSSION. Period.

Ryanbluebirds
09-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Not to really keep your guys debate going, but the argument that supporting these kids ripped off design is okay because other industries do it and get away with it is a little silly. The tattoo industry has always been pretty insular, less so since the advent of all the tv shows, but the industry has pretty much been based on reputation and respect. There are always bad apples, but everyone knows who they are and word gets around. The backlash against people outside the industry ripping off someone in the industries designs shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Tattooing is still a relatively small industry, though it's getting bigger by the second, but while its smaller we (as tattooers) still have a small amount of control to shape the direction we'd like our industry to go. Do you really want this industry to go the way of the rest of this bullshit underhanded corporate world? If you apply that attitude to the rest of your life you just get a selfish amoral world. I for one really would not like tattooing to end up that way. But have fun with your new machine.

john clark
09-06-2015, 05:24 AM
thank you, some of us still have morals.

john clark
09-06-2015, 05:28 AM
i dont need to keep debating this, i dont sell to people who dont support the trade and try to stop commercializing of it. no one ever ask me to make one clavable so i didnt, i bag my machines and always have, but i can make mine clavable with just one mod so there

Cyberitual
09-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Nah... bag it, madacide it, keep those magnets away from the autoclave. Shit don't even keep the magnets in your car all day lol. High temps just weaken there strength little by little, you won't notice it right away, but there info on 200 passes so far with zero effect is bullshit data because I have tested it myself with those same exact magnets. Just wash it under the sink... moisture seems to be ok obviously if your using the autoclave correctly.

artoftatt2
09-06-2015, 07:32 PM
If you wanna get mouthy butternuts then so be it.. I'll see you in person one day..

Butternuts
09-07-2015, 01:17 AM
Nah... bag it, madacide it, keep those magnets away from the autoclave. Shit don't even keep the magnets in your car all day lol. High temps just weaken there strength little by little, you won't notice it right away, but there info on 200 passes so far with zero effect is bullshit data because I have tested it myself with those same exact magnets. Just wash it under the sink... moisture seems to be ok obviously if your using the autoclave correctly.

I wondered that about the magnets myself but I'm going to continue to test the machine and see for myself if it continually holds up being autoclaved and if it doesn't I'll be saying it doesn't. Do you know roughly how many times through the autoclave you ran your magnets before you noticed degaussing?

Butternuts
09-07-2015, 03:33 AM
If you wanna get mouthy butternuts then so be it.. I'll see you in person one day..

Oh man!!!!!!!!!! We have an internet tough guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get out of here with that bullshit. Only pussies act tough online.

Ta2GeezerUK
09-07-2015, 04:26 AM
If I remember correctly Tattoo Factory International from Holland and Tony Lynx the same were touting a fully autoclaveable Machine as far back as early Mid 80's. I was sent all the info on it so it's really not a new concept.

casey
09-07-2015, 07:04 AM
If I remember correctly Tattoo Factory International from Holland and Tony Lynx the same were touting a fully autoclaveable Machine as far back as early Mid 80's. I was sent all the info on it so it's really not a new concept. You do remember correctly mate, Ive still got the catalog with it in

eduki
09-07-2015, 07:18 AM
If wearing would affect just to the magnets after clave them, wouldn't be necessary just replace them for new ones? Or is it hard to do with these machine systems?

Ta2GeezerUK
09-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Up til about 2 yrs ago I still had a full Ultra Tattooing Catolologue and full Panther Products from the 80's from the Fretwells and the bumper flash catologue..All Lost in the ether now Sadly.

Butternuts
09-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Talked to Lacenano today in regards to the concern of the magnets losing their power down the road after multiple cycles through the autoclave and they seem very confident that the grade magnets they are using will not deteriorate.

"Our magnets are made of the highest grade of neodymium (let's call it that even tho it's not actually) known to man. There are only two manufacturers capable of making this grade of magnetic material in the world right now; both are military contractors and none of them are located in the USA."

I'm no magnet expert, but so far I'm 5 autoclave cycles in and there has been no change in performance and I'm pretty good a noticing if a machine is going out of whack even a little bit. I am curious if Cyberitual knows, round-a-bouts, how many autoclave cycles he put his magnets through before he started noticing a change b/c i am keeping track..

Butternuts
09-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Not sure why that didn't let me post the full response I got.

"Our magnets are custom made of a neodymium material of a much higher magnetic power and thermal grade then what Clark is using. So much so, that our magnet (which is just a bit larger then Clarks small magnet) is actually stronger than his big magnet (this one: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R6036DIA )
Our magnets are made of the highest grade of neodymium (let's call it that even tho it's not actually) known to man. There are only two manufacturers capable of making this grade of magnetic material in the world right now; both are military contractors and none of them are located in the USA."

Wonderland
09-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Wow,this was a good read a lot of bickering back and fourth. John you make an awesome machine with the mag drive. It is almost effortless when tattooing. (If a little heavy, but I like a bit of weight on my machines.) cyber your machines as well have always pushed the envelope of machine building.

I get get the points that all of you have stated concerning the lace machine. And I have commented before about this whole mess. I actually think all parties involved are acting poorly. And I get it. But like I have said before, all inventions are sooner or later copied, or improved upon.

this whole bitching a out out profession goin to shit, well that is our fault. Sadly it really is. I did not start tattooing to get rich, or be famous. But there are those that have and that has led to the tv shows, and all the media hype. i personally do not watch any shows about tattooing.

But it when I come here and see all of this pissing, moaning, and threats I almost have to laugh. Such respected builders and artists getting angry, your work stands on its own. But when you complain it devalues your very work that you have spent years crafting.

Take a step back, celebrate your work. We all know who did what first.

artoftatt2
09-07-2015, 09:34 PM
So max temp is 176f what does your autoclave run at?

artoftatt2
09-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Most autoclaves run at 270f for 30 min under pressure .. The magnets that are being used from the company you posted had this to say about their magnets.. And I quote (Maximum Operating Temperature (abbreviated to MaxOpTemp hereafter) is a general number given for each different grade of magnet material. While not exact, it's a good guideline which applies to many situations. In between the MaxOpTemp and the Curie Temperature, some percentage of the magnetization is irreversibly lost.)
So I believe you were lied to by the fancy non tattooing engineers..

e_Bangs
09-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Somebody owes me some money I said how about using magnets before anyone started using magnets on here.... Pay up!!!! Lol

Tattooalleypa
09-08-2015, 04:04 AM
After reading everything that everyone has written I have to point a couple things out that might help you understand why these guys are pissed.
Seth Ciferri has been building machines for years and is partnered up with Soba with Workhorse Irons where they also sell ink and needles along with other builders machines. Now Seth is partnered up with Bill from Waverly and Grime. Now the three of them own Black Claw Tattoo supply and sell needles and Bills ink. Now all these individuals are in a sense taking ideas and such from each other but the difference that is getting missed is these are all tattoo artist working in the industry. I think the problem is that with only 5-10 years in this industry you do not truly understand the tradition,pride and respect for the old ways and how stuff was and should be done. I love the advances in our industry but would go back 20 years to when there was more honor in the industry any day cause it wasn't over saturated and there weren't anywhere as many sell outs. 20 years ago no one would of even looked twice at those lance guys if for no other reason than respect for the others inside. I will only buy machines, inks and any other supplies I can from artist. I believe in keeping it in the family so to speak. Does this make me any better than anyone..... No! But it's my integrity and I won't bend on that

Frank

Butternuts
09-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Most autoclaves run at 270f for 30 min under pressure .. The magnets that are being used from the company you posted had this to say about their magnets.. And I quote (Maximum Operating Temperature (abbreviated to MaxOpTemp hereafter) is a general number given for each different grade of magnet material. While not exact, it's a good guideline which applies to many situations. In between the MaxOpTemp and the Curie Temperature, some percentage of the magnetization is irreversibly lost.)
So I believe you were lied to by the fancy non tattooing engineers..

I think there is some confusion here. The link to the magnet supplier that is posted in the quote is the magnets that Clark uses for his machines. They wouldn't disclose to me the name of the company they get their magnets from but stated that they are of a higher thermal grade and power than what is available from KJ Magnetics. 135 degrees Celsius (270 Fahrenheit) is the safe rating listed in the manual for the machine. Again, I'm not a machine builder nor do I know much about magnets so time will tell and I will continue using and claving the machine after every tattoo and see what goes on with it.

Butternuts
09-08-2015, 09:56 AM
After reading everything that everyone has written I have to point a couple things out that might help you understand why these guys are pissed.
Seth Ciferri has been building machines for years and is partnered up with Soba with Workhorse Irons where they also sell ink and needles along with other builders machines. Now Seth is partnered up with Bill from Waverly and Grime. Now the three of them own Black Claw Tattoo supply and sell needles and Bills ink. Now all these individuals are in a sense taking ideas and such from each other but the difference that is getting missed is these are all tattoo artist working in the industry. I think the problem is that with only 5-10 years in this industry you do not truly understand the tradition,pride and respect for the old ways and how stuff was and should be done. I love the advances in our industry but would go back 20 years to when there was more honor in the industry any day cause it wasn't over saturated and there weren't anywhere as many sell outs. 20 years ago no one would of even looked twice at those lance guys if for no other reason than respect for the others inside. I will only buy machines, inks and any other supplies I can from artist. I believe in keeping it in the family so to speak. Does this make me any better than anyone..... No! But it's my integrity and I won't bend on that

Frank

I respect what you're saying Frank. I can apply that to something I did for 20 years of my life, motocross and freestyle motocross. Back when I was hard into that stuff you learned all your tricks 35 ft in the air over a 75ft gap, ramp to dirt. As you can imagine, that didn't go so well all the time (falling from that height plus getting tackled by 240lbs of metal and rubber isn't the greatest feeling in the world) but when you pulled something off or went to a competition and seen other guys doing some really cool shit there was a higher level of respect there b/c they probably took a lot of hits perfecting that. Nowadays they have huge foam pits, like the bmx guys use, that these guys can practice all these crazy backflip variables, 360's, etc for months on end and not have to worry about getting really fucked up (which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing.) Now when I see someone doing a front flip on a dirtbike at the X-Games or something, yeah that's crazy shit no doubt about it, but I know that guy practiced that into a foam pit for months and had it dialed in before he got to the competition. Not like Carey Hart (Yes, the Hart and Huntington Tattoo shop owner) back at the gravity games in early 2000's that tried the backflip for the first time in his life 35 ft in the air over dirt. Everyone at the venue or watching from their television could feel what was going through his head. To me, the sport was more exciting back then. I'm sure the 20+ year tattooers on here feel the same way about the tattoo industry, like you're saying. Everything is going to evolve and progress and move forward whether we want it to or not. I agree there are a lot of sell outs in the industry but a company trying to bring a product to the table to make our jobs easier and offer another level of defense against disease transmission isn't one of them. Sell outs, to me, are the douche bag tattoo artists that think and behave like they are some sort of rockstar badass and the world owes them something b/c they can sit on their ass for 7 hours and doodle on someones skin. There are a lot of those guys around and a lot of them on television. Yes it is a rewarding feeling to finish a piece and know that you did really well on it but too many guys let that go to their heads to where they become punks and that's not a good look on anyone or any industry. I'm just an average Joe doing what I can to take care of a wife and two kids so I put a lot of hours in a week, miss out on a lot of shit and right now this machine is making my day go a little easier.

Tattooalleypa
09-08-2015, 10:41 AM
I understand what you are saying and you are absolutely fucking right that you do what you need to do for family first and foremost! As far as the elitist mentality goes unfortunately there will always be "that guy" in every industry in the world. Now if you like that unit and feel it makes your life and job easier then that's your decision and right but do not think for one second that these guys are doing anything to make our job easier or bring it to another level for our industry cause the truth is they don't give 2 fucks about any of us or our industry they are just jumping on a fad wanting to get rich. With them it's not about advances and perserving anything they are just a parasite sucking what they can till the next thing they feel can get them rich comes along.

Frank

slicksteel
09-08-2015, 12:37 PM
The only thing i got to say is I am kinda glad lace made one because it pushed john to come out with a much better/lighter machine that looks like it will totally kick ass all over the lace! Also it has help spread the word to newer tattooers about john machines that did not know about them before.On the upside I think john is old school and would not have wanted to sell to the yuppie/you owe me something crowd that lace will cater to anyways.So John think of lace as a way to weed out that crowd of people and get free promos for your goods to the new young guys that are being taught in a traditional manner.John, For every negative there is a plus side-you just got to find it. ;)

Butternuts
09-08-2015, 02:39 PM
There is absolutely no such thing as bad press. All this drama is doing, and is going to do, is put more money in the builder's pockets. Whether it's Lacenano or John Clark, they are both benefiting from this whole ordeal and getting free advertisement from it. I don't understand the fad you are talking about? It seems to me that the current fad in regards to tattoo machines at the moment are cartridge specific machines.

brandonmull
09-08-2015, 02:45 PM
i can say that while, i do not plan to buy a lace nano, that i have a few machines i use that are working fine for me at the moment. no need to fix what isn't broken, right?

Panos tattoo
09-11-2015, 06:55 PM
I do agree that the nano will push john to improve even more his machine as the new breed of tattooists pushed the older guys improve their tattoo skills in order to continue to work .i ve seen tattooists with 5years of experience do pieces that blow my head of,especially the ones that do photo realism. For my case sometimes i bang my head on the wall seeing kids that have no clue of the tattoo culture, or dont know how to tune a machine ,or make a needle ,come out from a graphic design university go to a tattoo school (wtf?!?!) and do tattoos that took me years to learn how to do because back then a lot of things were kept secret and not for all.i cant do anything though but to try to improve myself and my skills.it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth saying this.as for the nano i wouldnt buy something from a guy that has no tattoos because in my head its as if he doesnt like them or doesnt approve what i wear and why i do it.i have a friend though who doesnt think this way and purchased a nano.so i told him i want to see this thing that made upset half of the tattoo world.
First thought when i saw it was the size defines the name. Smallest thing i ever saw .so is the weight.when i plugged it on the p.s. i noticed that the vibrations could satisfy any woman just by holding it in her hand.thats the drawback of lacking weight.but what really made me say man you just threw 600 plus euros in the trash was the ups and downs of the rotation.it sounded like a heartbeat instead of a continuous hum.i tweaked the screws for stroke and give and at some points it was improved but it was not eliminated. When its loaded the vibrations seem less but still its the worst machine i run on that point.the give is nothing like ive seen before.i cant say it exists or it doesn't. Its either hard or too soft.no in between steps.from what i saw i didnt want to use it on a tattoo.and all this gave me the impression that its overestimated.600 euro is waaaay much for it.

Butternuts
09-11-2015, 11:47 PM
I will post a pic or video of how I have the machine set up to run quite, very minimal vibration with disposable tubes and consistent. The area of the needle bar that gets tension put on it from the rubber band is pretty high up on these machines but I figured out a way to get the band down lower and it makes a big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCTYTKXy-k

eduki
09-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Looks like a quiet machine, about the vibration... Did you try it with long strokes?

Butternuts
09-12-2015, 09:50 AM
The stroke I have it adjusted to in the video is what I like to line at. I'm not sure exactly what it is (I haven't measured it) but as long as the needle bar has the correct amount of tension on it, it is quite and vibration is minimal throughout the stroke range. As mentioned, mounting the rubber band as far down on the needle bar as you can makes a huge difference.

Butternuts
09-22-2015, 05:09 AM
Update on the Lace machine. After solely running this machine for the past few weeks all of it's annoying quirks started to come through. If (and that's a big if) you can get the right amount of tension on the needle (b/c someone thought it'd be a good idea to only be able to secure the needle up at the top, you know, as far away from the tip as possible) it'll run great until your rubber band moves, wind blows, etc then you get annoying needle rattle, vibration, the machines runs inconsistent, etc. The vice is ok, not great. I really wanted to like this thing and gave it a real honest effort but once the "new machine feel" wore off (kind of like the honeymoon period of a new girlfriend haha) I became more and more unimpressed with it. The fact it can be autoclaved is nice, I really like that but not really a necessity if you bag and clean your machine and being able to adjust stroke and give on the fly is nice too but the needle tension issue just got way too annoying for me to deal with. This machine needs quite a bit of refining in my opinion. I'll be going back to my Gen 8's. Hopefully someone perfects this magnetic drive concept soon b/c being able to change stroke and hit on the fly without stopping or putting anything down or tools is pretty awesome. A for effort but these guys got some bugs to work out of this thing if they're going to compete with other machine builders. In my opinion, fuck the brushless motor, get a good motor so you don't need a special power supply or cord, a good quality needle bar tensioner to get the perfect amount of tension every time without fucking with rubber bands so machine runs smooth and consistent and be able to adjust stroke and hit easily on the fly with no tools through a bag, 3-4 ounce machine weight. There is definitely potential in magnetic drive rotaries. Maybe Clark perfected it with his new machine he posted?? I'd be curious to see a video of it running.

Cyberitual
09-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Yea those little things are what tattoo artist will find, specially on a machine that was built by college kids and not industry specialist... I posted a pic of all the issue this design had before it hit the market and that the vice was to close to the a bar and it would leave little room for the tension to be in a lower position to apply tension. The brushless motor is all this machine has to offer but they still could of did more research to power it. They went with the first most easiest way to power that motor instead of finding a way to make it universal for all artist to plug n play. It can be done and has been available for sometime now. Why the college kids and there financial backers didnt realise this is good question.John is a genius I must say and lace will be ditching the power supply soon. They just need to wait and see what John does.

Butternuts
09-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Like I mentioned when I started this review. I bought the machine purely out of curiosity and to see for myself what all the hype was about and if I didn't like it I would post and let everyone know why. It paid for itself with the tattoos I've done with it so I don't feel like I'm out anything but I won't be using it anymore, it's literally that annoying to work with. I do love the versatility of the magnetic drive, a lot. Does Johns new machine require tools to adjust the stroke and hit?? The weight on his seems like it'd be nice and comfortable. I know we got off on the wrong foot Cyberitual with this review but I honestly just wanted to let people know if this machine was any good or not and after spending several weeks and hours with it (I tattoo 6 days a week, 8 hour days and Mon and Wed are 12-14 hour days) I wouldn't recommend this machine to anybody. I was impressed at first with the newness of it and the features but after that wears off you're left with an inconsistent machine that you can't get the needle to quit rattling around. I literally tried everything, every size rubber band, different ways to mount them. Some methods worked good for a little bit but the rattle always came back or the tension messed up the consistency of the machine. Lesson learned from buying a machine from non tattooers. Tattooing everyday a lot of things become second nature that you don't think about or think would be common sense like the needle tension issue on this machine but I guess to someone who doesn't have any tattoo experience they don't know the importance of little details like that that will make a HUGE difference. All in all I ended up doing John a big favor. I bought the Lacenano, spent plenty of time with it, tried extremely hard to like it and get it to perform consistently and the final verdict for anyone looking to buy one, IT FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Butternuts
09-22-2015, 12:37 PM

End of review.

thesmokingmirror
09-22-2015, 03:20 PM
I think this review has been really informative it really does validate the superiority of the Clark machine :cool:

Butternuts
09-22-2015, 03:41 PM
I think this review has been really informative it really does validate the superiority of the Clark machine :cool:

That's all i meant for it to be was informative. I've never tried one of Clark's magnetic rotaries, the weight and needle stopping outside the tube was a turn off for me, but would be curious to try one of the new ones he posted once they're out. Honestly though, the Stealth is a superior machine to the Lacenano so it's not going to take a whole lot on his end to trump the Lace. I've never ever got so irritated with a machine before that I tossed it in the trash. I'm not even interested in selling to anyone b/c no matter how little I sold it for I feel I'd be ripping them off, it's that annoying to work with. I don't know who their test artists were that have been testing this for over a year or whatever but it took me 3-4 weeks to debunk this thing and that was really, honestly trying to give it a chance. I'm glad you found the review informative, that's all I meant for it to be. All the hype was just that...hype funded by deep pockets. They failed at the most important part, delivering a solid machine to the public.