PDA

View Full Version : Helios Rotary Pen

feb
11-04-2015, 02:03 AM
Has anybody ever tried the Helios Rotary Pen? how does it differ to the other rotary pens in the market?
Here is the link to their website:
http://www.heliostattoo.com/Helios-Rotary-Pen-p/htv1.htm

asA
11-04-2015, 03:10 AM
They aren't out yet.... so i doubt many people have tried them out, other than sponsored people. They only come in a 2.5mm stroke version. So it's gunna be a real struggle to line with.

hellraiser6662
11-04-2015, 05:13 AM
I line with a dragonfly ss which is 2.5 stroke but I don't use large liners only bug pin tight 3s. Any thing can push them in...

asA
11-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Ss dragonflies are 2.6mm, but that's way way to short to push anything and not bury the tube to the skin. Which makes lining more of a hassle. Until the make a longer stroke this machine is a for sure pass for me.

ibroughtyounightmares
11-30-2015, 06:58 PM
completely agree with asA. My boss is actually part of their pro team and he loves the machine... for shading. For lining there just isn't enough needle hang to line efficiently. I haven't used the machine personally (held it and tested some carts through it) but until the stroke length can be furthered its a pass for me aswell. Also I don't know if it's just me but if it's a pen type rotary I almost prefer a little bit more diameter to it. In my hands it just felt almost too skinny if that makes sense, probably more of a personal preference than anything. That being said, my boss said that lining was the only thing really playing against it. I'm new to carts but am perfectly content with my Edge X and RPG Click.

artoftatt2
01-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Sounds like your upselling it why have a cart machine that can't line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

artoftatt2
01-20-2016, 10:18 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160121/912c020dece8eb67c5629739737e8432.jpg same machine same motor I've seen one apart already .. Just swap the grip for carts

brandonmull
01-20-2016, 11:06 PM
Cosmetic tattoo "pens" have been around for quite awhile.

darkness
01-21-2016, 04:43 AM
2.5mm is the standart stroke for cosmetic machines because the work on some areas that are very sensitive. I think the helios is a cosmetic machine from china a bit retuned and try to sold expensive.

hellraiser6662
01-22-2016, 06:08 AM
The machine is made in Denmark. It's designed for black and grey and fine line work. You can also adjust the stroke on the fly by twisting a dial on the machine. The needles are the best out. Better then the hawk cartridges. Here's a tattoo I just did with the Helios pen, and cartridges. It works for me, and that's all I can vouch for.
But isn't you sponsored by them? I'm sure you are on there site. So you are going to say it's the best thing since sliced bread. That's not going to be a honest answer. you can't trust people who are sponsored to give a good answer. To get a true feel for a machine a Joe blogs who's not associated with them can only give that. I've also noticed the price of the carts £25+ for 20 haha t-tech take my money...

asA
01-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Why would we trust a dude pushing a promo code on a machine that looks like it's a cosmetic pen worth 25$. I'm sure it tattoos. But at 2.5mm stroke it's such a niche machine it's almost silly.
And just saying the carts are the best.... and not offering any reason or backing it up by saying you've actually tried the other 10 companies selling carts also seems like bs... you have to say it's the best. You're bassically being paid to!!

asA
01-22-2016, 12:42 PM
It's hardly being bashed.... we can see it tattoos. But it clearly has some serious short comings. It's a forum where people offer their opinions... and you can see most opinions on this product are negitive.

Like what makes the carts better than cheyenne or the other companies... or what is the benifit of using a cosmetic tattoo pen for tattoos? Instead of just saying it "works for me" and "these are good products"

artoftatt2
01-22-2016, 01:13 PM
This is coming from a guy that has more rotaries than half this forum combined.. 👆I'll take Asa s input over a lot of anybody when it comes to truth on a machine

brandonmull
01-22-2016, 05:14 PM
it seems there are 2 reasons that people are not sure about tis machine. the stroke and the similarity to a very cheap cosmetic tattoo machine.

asA
01-22-2016, 06:06 PM
I was going to preorder one. That's how I knew it was 2.5 stroke. If they offer a diffrent stroke maybe I'll buy one. I have some carts ordered. Look I'm all for buying new stuff. But buying a machine with such a short stroke won't work for me. Thats not negitive that's just the way it is.

hellraiser6662
01-22-2016, 10:22 PM
I use a 2.5 dragonfly ss for lining. I use 2.5 flite v2 for shading and this machine might be for me. But as it goes before you never trust people who are sponsored. All the bullshit that came out of people's mouths about how great cheyenne was and how t-tech needles were bad, the video that had roman in it plus others getting paid to slag down t-tech carts. I'm not saying you are doing anything of the sort but that's why people don't trust sponsored artists and only trust people's word on it when they have paid good hard earned cash for it. That's all. It's a word of mouth thing just like tattoo studios and tattooists. Some machine builders on here have even offered machines out on loan to get artist to have a play and see what they think a try before you buy thing. Most of us on here are honest in how they like machines and if somethings good people trusts their word on it. We are good lot of people trying to make a living in a ever changing world of tattooing. Wasting money on machines is a luxury some of us don't have.

tttat2
01-22-2016, 11:14 PM
yes. I know sponsors who refill their ink with a different brand that they sponsor. So yes sponsors can be misleading sometimes , not always but sometimes.

Dub_Art
02-03-2016, 09:55 AM
To talk about the machine a bit and not sponsorship;
I've been using the Helios pen for about a week now. It's obvious quality and cannot at all be compared to an eBay machine. Yes the stroke is short but for black and grey or color blending on thin skin it works like a buttery dream. One of the smoothest running machines in my collection. Like with any machine it had a slight learning curve, mostly getting used to the short throw and the way needle hang is adjusted.
I bought the machine specifically to use for black and grey and from what I have tried it on it has been a dream. Pushing everything up to 27 mags without missing a beat. Though I don't think I'll be abandoning my edge x any time soon for color and bold lining, what color work I have done with the machine has gone in smooth if a little slower than I like.
All in all no machine excels at everything. If they did none of us would be collectors. I can already tell though that the Helios will be an important part of my collection for a long time to come.

slicksteel
02-03-2016, 04:47 PM
I have seen otto on here who makes machines and tattoos do amazing color work with full saturation with short stroke machines-(prefers them).
So in the right hands, realistic color work & smooth black n grey can be done very well with a short stoke machine...this machines looks well made, so i would not count it out just yet!

asA
02-13-2016, 12:36 AM
I have seen otto on here who makes machines and tattoos do amazing color work with full saturation with short stroke machines-(prefers them).http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/10569-decepticon-in-progress?highlight=otto
http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/13516-Waterfall?highlight=otto
http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/12091-ice-dragon?highlight=otto
So in the right hands, realistic color work & smooth black n grey can be done very well with a short stoke machine...this machines looks well made, so i would not count it out just yet!
I have 3 machines from otto... all his machines are 3.6 mm stroke ish.

slicksteel
02-13-2016, 12:48 AM
you might be right on that asa,i could have sworn he liked to use short stroke on his setups.. but as it goes fuck these machines after all! As we both now know that they are just re branded cosmetic machines that have been around for 3 years allready..:p.

Ofeloner
02-13-2016, 02:36 AM
Yeah,,I was gonna say,,someone pointed out that it's the same exact rebranded machine they sell on ebay,,

otto
04-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Hi Slick,i used the 2.3 mm stroke machines a few years ago but i think that a 3.5/4 mm makes the job easier for packing/lining.I loved the short stroke too,no vibrations,less noise,less stress on the motor