PDA

View Full Version : Venom3DP Skorpion 3d printed tattoo machine

amv101
11-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Something I have been working on lately... I am a tattoo artist and shop owner out of Las Vegas NV. For more info you can check out our website and facebook page. The machine has been completely designed, manufactured and assembled by myself... I have been testing the machine with my own clients (see video). The machine is also compatible with the cartridges, also seen in the video. Looking for any feedback, comments, suggestions... still have a few minor changes to make but hoping to ship first batch mid December to mid January. Thanks for checking it out!

https://www.facebook.com/cobratattoosystems/

http://www.cobratattoosystems.com/products/venom3dp-skorpion-rotary-tattoo-machine (http://www.cobratattoosystems.com/products/venom3dp-skorpion-rotary-tattoo-machine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kz2UlUQwYE

slicksteel
11-19-2015, 01:12 AM
How long is that back pivot area going to last-it breaks and the whole frame is worthless...

wildboy
11-19-2015, 04:26 AM
well good luck!

amv101
11-19-2015, 11:03 AM
How long is that back pivot area going to last-it breaks and the whole frame is worthless...

In mechanics, a leaf spring design is used in applications where the mechanical stress is never enough to cause any breakage or weakness in the material. Very similar to a traditional coil machine, or other applications such as vehicles. This is called tensile strength.

slicksteel
11-19-2015, 11:53 AM
yea i get yea-but those are replaceable at a low cost in a min-with this you would have to throw away the whole main frame...to be honest with you any good tattooer will look at that and stay away from it at those prices. These crank designs has been around for years and work great. And have been done with springs etc. And the simple ones work the best at a much cheaper price with easily sourced replacement parts.The problem with yours is if it breaks from a drop or wear you have to replace whole body which would be fine if it sold in the 50-75 price range. It would be considered a disposable machine. You can get these crank style from china now that are well made and cost 35-50. I do like the idea of the back as it will keep the crank centered with no side sway and the crank bar damping is nice. And being able to use a hawk grip is sweet as well. So I would say make it these way as at a cheap disposable price and one with a pivot pin and bearings for the price your asking. Maybe you could print me one out with the pin/pivot back style.

amv101
11-19-2015, 12:37 PM
yea i get yea-but those are replaceable at a low cost in a min-with this you would have to throw away the whole main frame...to be honest with you any good tattooer will look at that and stay away from it at those prices. These crank designs has been around for years and work great. And have been done with springs etc. And the simple ones work the best at a much cheaper price with easily sourced replacement parts.The problem with yours is if it breaks from a drop or wear you have to replace whole body which would be fine if it sold in the 50-75 price range. It would be considered a disposable machine. You can get these crank style from china now that are well made and cost 35-50. I do like the idea of the back as it will keep the crank centered with no side sway and the crank bar damping is nice. And being able to use a hawk grip is sweet as well. So I would say make it these way as at a cheap disposable price and one with a pivot pin and bearings for the price your asking. Maybe you could print me one out with the pin/pivot back style.

You have some valid points... but I am a tattooer (in the video) and shop owner... other tattooers already want them... and so do some of the big suppliers.

Technically, you shouldn't drop your machine. You can drop and iron coil and bend the frame... or even the aluminum ones like FK Irons. I have a Swashdrive, and dragonfly... I dropped both of them only once... and both drops caused the motors shaft to bend, and those are Maxon motors. It's a precision tool... I have many of them, and the last thing you should do with a precision tool, is drop it and expect it to work as designed. Rule of thumb... dont drop it. ;)

As far as wear... that is why it is designed this way... minimal moving parts, with bearings on both ends of the connecting rod... wear is caused by friction or resistance, or misuse.

amv101
11-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Also... this machine uses rubber bushings at both ends of the connecting rod, that can be switched out without tools.... from hard, medium, to soft... or a combination... the other crank style machines have zero give, except the Whip from Swashdrive... which also uses a leaf spring. I am a professional tattooer that is designing a machine... big difference. Some tattoos I have done with the prototype.

slicksteel
11-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Just got to bust your balls! :) Anyways welcome aboard and good luck on your machines -so far it does look nice.What is the weight looking like? What type of motor you going to use namco are very nice for the price and well made.

amv101
11-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Just got to bust your balls! :) Anyways welcome aboard and good luck on your machines -so far it does look nice.What is the weight looking like?

Haha no problem... about 2.5oz so far... the final should be in that range. We are using a Japanese motor... but I am working on a "pro" version that will be offering a German or Swiss motor. I have been into RC cars and electronics for almost 20 years now. The highend motors are a bit over engineered for tattoo machines, so I wanted to offer an entry level machine at first. Usually, even the cheap motors, will outlast some of the other components.

brimstonesix
02-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Looks sweet,keep us posted

amv101
02-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Looks sweet,keep us posted

Thanks for the support!

We are very close to production! We have made some improvements to the previous design...

Our main improvement is removing the interchangeable bushing feature. We designed a unique connected rod feature that allows the dampening / give function to be more effective and have a coil like response. I have personally used many of the coil spring type dampening systems and have been unhappy with the majority of them. The main reason is how the coil springs will bottom or top out... not giving the artist a fluid and responsive give effect.

Our new patent pending "FlexRod" design helps solve this issue without adding any moving parts. The FlexRods can be switched out in less than a minute, without any tools! You can check out the video below for an example of this new feature. The video also shows how little the arm bar mechanism actually flexes. Some people have commented with concerns on that part of the design wearing out. I have spent a lot of time developing a simple, maintenance free machine, without compromising the desired results.

We are planning to start selling the first batch within a few weeks or the beginning of next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxlm0HJvxjI

Jesse Phillips
02-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Very interesting! Smart design man. If you want to send me one Ill put it through the ringer and give you a full report. :cool:

Jesse Phillips
02-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Man, if you could engineer some of those flex rods to retro fit like a swiss or a stealth and other machines like that. $$$$

No Iron Machines
02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
u don think the thinner plastic on the back can be broke and have to trow away all the machine ???? is very cool the style how is done, but this thin plastic sound a problem, hope is only my opinion

amv101
02-15-2016, 03:23 PM
u don think the thinner plastic on the back can be broke and have to trow away all the machine ???? is very cool the style how is done, but this thin plastic sound a problem, hope is only my opinion

The material that is being used is a strong fibrous plastic... not rigid like a resin. I can bend that needle bar part almost completely back without it cracking or snapping... it may warp the pivot point, but will not break. I may post a video showing this. If you watch the video above, the part barely flexes when running. I have also tossed around the frame on my concrete floor multiple times... nothing cracks or snaps. It is a pretty good material.

amv101
02-15-2016, 03:29 PM
We quickly sold out of the 1st batch of machines and are in the process of making a 2nd batch. Estimated shipping for the next batch is on March 7th, 2016. These machines are not mass produced and are hand built and inspected individually at our Las Vegas facility. You can order securely on our website for $229 each. We do ship internationally! Visit the link below to order online.

https://www.cobratattoosystems.com/products/venom3dp-skorpion-rotary-tattoo-machine

You can also visit our Facebook page and give us a like...

https://www.facebook.com/cobratattoosystems/

Thanks for checking us out and remember, you are supporting an artist based company!

Alexander
- Cobra Tattoo Systems USA

amv101
03-09-2016, 05:26 PM
A couple new photos of some of the colored production machines... $229 each with free shipping in the USA! Each machine is hand built in our Las Vegas facility.

Anyone know of the forum admins, please have them private message me. I have emailed them numerous times to post my machines in the New Products forum, but never got a reply back. Thanks!

https://www.cobratattoosystems.com/products/venom3dp-skorpion-rotary-tattoo-machine

Justink
03-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Just ordered one looking forward to trying it :)

amv101
03-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Just ordered one looking forward to trying it :)

Awesome... will be shipping out today!

amv101
03-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Here is a feature not found on other rotary machines in regards to using needle cartridges. I have been using cartridges exclusively for about 3 years now... and with some of the rotaries I was using... the return spring/pressure on the cartridge would null the give/hit and I couldnt run my machines at lower voltages. I am sure anyone else using cartridges, now what I mean. So I developed a special feature to counter this issue.

When using the the popular needle cartridges with the Venom3DP Skorpion, you can wrap a standard tattooing rubber band around the lower ears, to compensate for the return spring installed in the cartridge. This allows the Venom3DP Skorpion to run at lower voltages, while still providing a soft or medium hit when using needle cartridges. A Venom3DP Skorpion exclusive innovation!

brimstonesix
03-11-2016, 03:34 PM
What kind of motor do these use?

amv101
03-11-2016, 06:03 PM
What kind of motor do these use?

They are using a high torque Mabuchi 2.5A motor

george 3030
03-17-2016, 10:53 AM
final weight?

amv101
03-17-2016, 12:14 PM
final weight?

Final weight is around 2.1oz

george 3030
03-17-2016, 12:48 PM
many rotary machines uses 3.5 mm cams as a standard or all purpose, why you decided not to include 3.5 mm stroke?

amv101
03-17-2016, 01:31 PM
many rotary machines uses 3.5 mm cams as a standard or all purpose, why you decided not to include 3.5 mm stroke?

We may offer variations in the future. Shorter strokes create less trauma to the skin...

Jesse Phillips
03-17-2016, 11:48 PM
We may offer variations in the future. Shorter strokes create less trauma to the skin...
So says you.

Cyberitual
03-18-2016, 02:06 AM
[QUOTE=amv101;127313]Here is a feature not found on other rotary machines in regards to using needle cartridges. I have been using cartridges exclusively for about 3 years now... and with some of the rotaries I was using... the return spring/pressure on the cartridge would null the give/hit and I couldnt run my machines at lower voltages. I am sure anyone else using cartridges, now what I mean. So I developed a special feature to counter this issue.

When using the the popular needle cartridges with the Venom3DP Skorpion, you can wrap a standard tattooing rubber band around the lower ears, to compensate for the return spring installed in the cartridge. This allows the Venom3DP Skorpion to run at lower voltages, while still providing a soft or medium hit when using needle cartridges. A Venom3DP Skorpion exclusive innovation!

this method has been on the Centri "COBRA" for more then 3 years. nice to see this trick used elsewhere... Did you do any research on your company name and logo before you went with it? Your similarities still disturbs me...

amv101
03-18-2016, 12:11 PM
So says you.

No, so says physics.... maintaining cycle time while increasing stroke with anything, will increase velocity... increasing velocity will increase the mass, and will increase the energy on impact.

Just like adding stroke to a car engine, or adding more barrel length to a gun, or the swing of a sword.

A 5mm stroke running at 60 cycles a second, will have more impact energy than a 1mm stroke running at 60 cycles a second. Basic physics.

Cyberitual
03-18-2016, 01:12 PM
you can have any stroke you want and you can run at any speed you want and you can tattoo all day and never over traumatize your client. Its not the machine that over works the skin... Physics has nothing to do with technique and methods of the human talent and knowledge. I can tattoo with any machine on this planet with any stroke set on it, but i rather have it MY WAY. No matter what, the machines performance has nothing to do with the out come of your tattoo... We use sticks and high tech machines and in the right hands produce the same outcome. Building machines with one set stroke is like living under communism lol. "Most" People want FREEDOM to use there talents and methods with tools that allow them too.

Now physics is everywhere but its impossible to build a machine that will give every person the same outcome. Once you add the human factor into the equation, the physics of the machine end there... The machine does not impact the skin. The human hand impacts the machine into the skin at different speeds and depths... that there will throw mathematical outcomes out the window... cars, guns, swords just sit there with out human involvement. No impact no matter what size or weight. But there is a market for everything...

amv101
03-18-2016, 02:33 PM
you can have any stroke you want and you can run at any speed you want and you can tattoo all day and never over traumatize your client. Its not the machine that over works the skin... Physics has nothing to do with technique and methods of the human talent and knowledge. I can tattoo with any machine on this planet with any stroke set on it, but i rather have it MY WAY. No matter what, the machines performance has nothing to do with the out come of your tattoo... We use sticks and high tech machines and in the right hands produce the same outcome. Building machines with one set stroke is like living under communism lol. "Most" People want FREEDOM to use there talents and methods with tools that allow them too.

Now physics is everywhere but its impossible to build a machine that will give every person the same outcome. Once you add the human factor into the equation, the physics of the machine end there... The machine does not impact the skin. The human hand impacts the machine into the skin at different speeds and depths... that there will throw mathematical outcomes out the window... cars, guns, swords just sit there with out human involvement. No impact no matter what size or weight. But there is a market for everything...

Quick question.... do your machines have any give? And from your experience... what would the give be for?

Cyberitual
03-18-2016, 03:04 PM
My machines have 100% give and completely adjustable. Which allows my users to make any stroke there heart desires.

Give is a reaction in the stroke that causes the stroke to stop or slow down from its full expected stroke causing a sensation the artist can feel in hand as he applies the stoke of the needle to skin for pressure assurance and desired result of the needle entry. Every artist relies on his hands and what he feels the tool doing in his hands.

Do you prefer the brush? no damage to the paper or canvas. Great representation of 100% give.
or do you prefer the pencil? will tear through paper and canvas. Great representation of no give.

its a personal choice for the artist.

amv101
03-18-2016, 03:23 PM
My machines have 100% give and completely adjustable. Which allows my users to make any stroke there heart desires.

Give is a reaction in the stroke that causes the stroke to stop or slow down from its full expected stroke causing a sensation the artist can feel in hand as he applies the stoke of the needle to skin for pressure assurance and desired result of the needle entry. Every artist relies on his hands and what he feels the tool doing in his hands.

Do you prefer the brush? no damage to the paper or canvas. Great representation of 100% give.
or do you prefer the pencil? will tear through paper and canvas. Great representation of no give.

its a personal choice for the artist.

So give on a brush vs pencil to the canvas... you are referring to different trauma caused to the canvas? The only purpose of give, is to reduce stroke and to reduce damage... that is actually what you just said.

george 3030
03-18-2016, 07:44 PM
then if give reduce stroke. 4mm stroke + 50% give = 2mm stroke ?? if thats correct, a machine with a long stroke and 100% give, = machine with no give and many stroke cams?

amv101
03-18-2016, 07:58 PM
then if give reduce stroke. 4mm stroke + 50% give = 2mm stroke ?? if thats correct, a machine with a long stroke and 100% give, = machine with no give and many stroke cams?

You are correct, sort of... I was going to bring up that point, but I am not here to argue... something with 100% damping (give) would result in 0% end stroke. A machine with 100% give would not penetrate into the skin... so it would equal 0mm stroke cam.

Give, or the technical term "dampening or damping"... works the same as a shock absorber... a shock with 100% damping would absorb the entire impact, and sitting in your car, you would not feel it.

4mm stroke with 25% damping = 3mm end stroke with less impact
4mm stroke with 75% damping = 1mm end stroke with very little impact

The impact can be measured in Newtons (N)

jasonadelinia
03-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Amv101, you have clearly not tried a Centri? it has complete give.

darkness
04-13-2016, 02:58 AM
but i knowing what amv101 will tell us. Thats right -i think a lot says thinks like 100% give -its give but not 100% ,i would say more its have a very smooth and fast response give. On coils we use different springs with different softness to archive the same results. Is the give 100% you dont get the needle in the skin ! And after trying the centri v1 and v2 and later the magnet upgrade i was very unhappy. After a few days of use the machine breaks and after repair its never run like new. Always the magnets solve from the body ,my other machine thats was running i have sell fast before they breaks too but the buyer write me later thats the machine was not correct running too -he have running a other thast different works. And i knowing a lot thats was very unhappy with the v1 and v2. I have never try a cobra because that.

Jesse Phillips
05-03-2017, 10:06 PM
So has anyone ended up trying/buying one of these?