PDA

View Full Version : Swash gen 8 cutback issues

Jesse Phillips
12-02-2015, 07:02 PM
So I have a brand new gen 8 cutback that is doing erratic things and I beleive I have narrowed it down the the needle bar tensioner. The machine ran great for about 5 hours of tattooing when I first got it but then started to erratically slow and speed up and spit a little. I replaced the o rings on the tension wheel and it still seems to do random things. I tried using rubber bands on it and it runs much faster, smoother and quieter this way but the consistency of the hit still seems to vary a little bit. I am using folded paper towel grommits, brand new rca cord and trouble shot with 3 different power supplies. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I should also note that this machine is a replacement of one that was doing all of the above but even worse... and when I returned that one to swash they said nothing was wrong with it but sent me a new one after some protest on my behalf. Im shaking my head here thinking maybe this is just how they run?

chris-in-cali
12-02-2015, 07:11 PM
hey bro…not sure if it helps……but there is thread already somewhere on the forum about this issue…
and i have the same issues with a compact….i fucking love the machine but i still can't figure out why at the most random times, it runs sporadic….like fluctuates in speed…really weird

darkness
12-03-2015, 04:10 AM
i would say its the motor ...i have bought the first gen8 and compact as its come first in the sale ,all very nice -so i would say any have change and the parts all the same so i would say any have change in the motor -or have you try a different rca ? what powersupply to you use

OwlsDen
12-03-2015, 05:59 AM
I have to say that these machines are really picky about RCA cords. A bad connection makes it run like this.

nivek
12-03-2015, 10:09 AM
my tensioner broke - they sent me a replacement i never put it on. and i have never had any issue with mine

Jesse Phillips
12-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Brand new Bishop rca. Powered with cx2-g2, cx1-g2, eikon ems-200.

OwlsDen
12-03-2015, 02:59 PM
I would still check another cable.

If the cable is the issue its easier than sending it in for a new motor

Jesse Phillips
12-03-2015, 06:09 PM
I would still check another cable.

If the cable is the issue its easier than sending it in for a new motor
Ive used about 5 different rca's with it.
Today I took the stay up spring out and just used rubber bands instead of the tensioner and it ran flawlessly.
I think that the added resistance of the spring and the friction of the tensioner causes the irregularities.

darkness
12-04-2015, 05:15 AM
maybe its possible the bearing is not right -so you get some tension on the motor - with the rubberbands its the tension maybe less . Try to adding oel to the bearing or replace it

Jesse Phillips
12-04-2015, 02:41 PM
maybe its possible the bearing is not right -so you get some tension on the motor - with the rubberbands its the tension maybe less . Try to adding oel to the bearing or replace it
Yeah man, the bearing is oiled. Im going to order a pack of bearings from oust really soon here though.

OwlsDen
12-04-2015, 04:30 PM
What motor does yours have? I have the cutback with the DCX Maxon and it seems that no matter how much tension I give it, it just keeps chugging on. It almost seams to like tension.

Jesse Phillips
12-04-2015, 04:53 PM
What motor does yours have? I have the cutback with the DCX Maxon and it seems that no matter how much tension I give it, it just keeps chugging on. It almost seams to like tension.
I dont know. The machine is only about a month old.

darkness
12-04-2015, 05:25 PM
is the oil on the motor bearing or the whip wheel - the motorbearing should not be oiled

OwlsDen
12-04-2015, 06:12 PM
I dont know. The machine is only about a month old.

If you have the box it should be in the label

Jesse Phillips
12-04-2015, 09:49 PM
is the oil on the motor bearing or the whip wheel - the motorbearing should not be oiled
I oil a few drops under the black dust seal that says oust moc 9 as per the instructions that came with it about every 30 hours. Silicone grease on the other exposed bearing.

Jesse Phillips
12-04-2015, 09:50 PM
If you have the box it should be in the label
Ok yeah its a dcx.

Jesse Phillips
12-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Well, after a day of trial and trubulation and to my dismay I believe that my problems have been caused by one too many folds in my paper towel grommets. Too tight! And I believe it was bindind the swashing motion you see when you look at the drive pin straight on. What worked great for my linear machines does not work on the swash.

Jesse Phillips
12-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Well, after a day of trial and trubulation and to my dismay I believe that my problems have been caused by one too many folds in my paper towel grommets. Too tight! And I believe it was bindind the swashing motion you see when you look at the drive pin straight on. What worked great for my linear machines does not work on the swash.
I was wrong about this. I believe it to be an issue with the stay up spring and possibly the tensioner as previosly stated.
Im pretty bummed about this because like I said in my first post on this thread, this machine is a relacement of another that was doing the same stuff which Tony from Swash said he could find no problems with. If I send this machine back Im going to be out over 100 dollars on shipping after its all said and done making this a 650.00 dollar machine and I cant in good conscience go a sell it either.
It does well without the spring, but I feel like I have purchased something with a design flaw, I paid for something with a stay up spring, I want it to work ya know? Bummer...