PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried EZ pen?

Christo
01-02-2016, 09:42 PM
http://www.eztattooing.com/views.asp?hw_id=248

Any experiences with this machine? Forum search didn't turn any hits.

asA
01-02-2016, 11:30 PM
I have one, it's great. It's 90% the same as the hawk pen. It uses an odd power cord and has a tapered grip. There is talks of disposable grips and fatter grips in the future. It's worth the money for sure.

acink
01-03-2016, 08:02 AM
I just purchased one on asA small review, so ill do a little review when I receive it and do a few pieces with it, at least it will be a back up motor if all goes tits up on mt hawk pen :)

Christo
01-03-2016, 08:12 AM
https://youtu.be/TeFoYibdCwk

This is an unboxing that was posted yesterday. It's in Spanish, which I don't speak, but it looks cool.

dmose333
01-03-2016, 06:56 PM
I have one scheduled to be delivered tomorrow via DHL. I do not have a Cheyenne Hawk pen to compare it to, but I do have a Stylus H (currently broken). I will try out the EZ pen this week and see what it can do and then pass it on here to you all. Currently my favorite machines I have are the Spektra Edge X and the HM direct drive, loved my stylus machine as well but it decided to stop mid tattoo last week.

dmose333
01-04-2016, 03:42 PM
EZ Pen arrived today, craftsmanship and quality looks and feels like perfection. Hits like a truck (tested it on myself, without ink to see how it feels).
Can't wait till tonight to try it out on an actual tattoo. Although I will have the Spektra edge x sitting out as well just in case.
Really pleased with the look and feel of this machine, if it performs as well as it looks and feels in my hand it's a homerun for sure.
Shipping was also insanely fast, I ordered it on dec 31st and got it today jan 4th.

Christo
01-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks dmose. If you wouldn't mind, please let us know how the tattoo goes with it, good luck.

dmose333
01-05-2016, 02:07 PM
I am impressed beyond words. The ez pen is a workhorse, performed flawlessly. Last night I did 6 tattoos with it (all smaller type stuff, words, a rose, two bullet holes etc. . .)
It is incredibly comfortable to hold and use. Ran smooth and consistent, lined flawlessly, packed color with ease, color blending and grey tones were effortless.

This machine has earned it's spot in my line up as a daily driver for sure. One of my coworkers last night while watching me use it and how well it worked decided to order his own as well.
I honestly can not say enough positive things about this machine.

It's only $220, so seriously if you like a pen style machine give it a try. You won't be disappointed!!!!!!!
I am really happy that I decided to give this machine a try, seriously impressed. I'm honestly not even going to bother fixing my stylus h now.

hellraiser6662
01-06-2016, 06:26 AM
In the UK they are trying to sell it for £250. That's $360. Hummmm someone's being greedy

joelhague
01-06-2016, 01:50 PM
I want one but with the way the Canadian dollar is I think I will stick with what I have . paying extra 30% on everything isn't too fun

joelhague
01-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Awesome to see they did such a great job on it though vs that ridiculous price on the hawk pen

Ofeloner
01-06-2016, 06:36 PM
I am impressed beyond words. The ez pen is a workhorse, performed flawlessly. Last night I did 6 tattoos with it (all smaller type stuff, words, a rose, two bullet holes etc. . .)
It is incredibly comfortable to hold and use. Ran smooth and consistent, lined flawlessly, packed color with ease, color blending and grey tones were effortless.

This machine has earned it's spot in my line up as a daily driver for sure. One of my coworkers last night while watching me use it and how well it worked decided to order his own as well.
I honestly can not say enough positive things about this machine.

It's only $220, so seriously if you like a pen style machine give it a try. You won't be disappointed!!!!!!!
I am really happy that I decided to give this machine a try, seriously impressed. I'm honestly not even going to bother fixing my stylus h now.

How did you get yours for $220??.

dmose333
01-06-2016, 06:43 PM
http://www.eztattooing.com/nsort.asp?nsort_id=127

Ofeloner
01-06-2016, 11:44 PM
Coool,,thanx G, :)

slicksteel
01-07-2016, 02:11 AM
Try out there ez bat model ..makes the hawks and flites look and feel like toys. Very powerful and compact and well made for dirt cheap

Butternuts
01-07-2016, 11:47 AM
I bought a Hawk pen a few months back. Grant it, it is an awesome machine and runs carts very smoothly and quietly, but for what it is it is severely over-priced. The other part I couldn't get over with these kind of machines is that you can't take them apart (well you can but it's a process) to clean up inside the machine in the event of an ink flow back. I was very meticulous in examining the push bars on the carts at the end of a tattoo session to make sure there wasn't any flow back or ink spatter that made it's way up and the first couple pieces I did I had no issues and would swab out the inner housing with wavicide and alcohol for good measure and autoclaved the grip. After one session though, I noticed a black smudge on the cart drive bar after the session so I stopped using the machine and decided to tear it apart to see what this smudge was. As it turns out it was the grease that was around the drive mechanism that made it's way down and was staining the drive bars of the needle cartridges. That turned me off from these style machines altogether, just the "what if" factor isn't really worth it to me. I just got an AXYS rotary in yesterday and got to use it on a piece and that thing is every smoother and quieter than the Hawk pen and over half the price!! Very pleased with the AXYS so far.

Bishopbyname
01-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Us Brits have to pay £250 by the look of it!? :confused:

Pinhas
01-07-2016, 06:47 PM
what is the stroke ?

hellraiser6662
01-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Us Brits have to pay £250 by the look of it!? :confused:
That's probably +vat as well. Might as well buy it from the states and get it shipped over would be much cheaper.

Invertedpixel
01-07-2016, 09:15 PM
not for nuthin' but I didn't think this forum was big on supporting knock off machines. This EZ pen may work great, but for all intents and purposes, it is still a blatant copy of the hawk pen. I'm sure that there was a decent amount of coin spent on Cheyenne's part developing this machine and bringing it to market. I think it's unfair for a Chinese company to simply copy it exactly and put their own brand on it. There are other pen style machines around, so if the price of admission for Cheyenne is too high, there are alternatives that are made by people that actually give a damn about tattooing.

asA
01-07-2016, 11:29 PM
To be fair the cheyenne pen is a knock off of the nedz machine... same drive mechanics. If you wanna split hairs.

artoftatt2
01-07-2016, 11:45 PM
And on top of that all the tubes and needles you use are made in China and up priced by the so called companies that support tattooers to make their pockets fatter of yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellraiser6662
01-08-2016, 05:44 AM
When a company like cheyenne get ripped off. Who cares? They have done nothing but take and put nothing back. They isn't fkiron now are they a company which contains tattooists and help anybody with great customer service. Cheyenne have tried and failed at cornering the tattoo market with the carts making videos that lied and had their top sponsored artists giving the bullshit, thinking we all believe what they say... haha taking companies to court but it hasn't worked, now more and more companies are making carts with there needles which is a good thing for us & to be honest a good thing for them as some people will most probably buy a cheyenne machine now as it's now cheaper to run than buying there over priced crap carts.

brandonmull
01-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Has far as any originality goes I think the only true innovator I have seen is mike and the centris.

Patrick
01-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Well, EZ is also selling a direct copy of the vivace on their website. It even says Neotat on the side. Ray Webb has been nothing but good to the industry as far as I'm concerned. Not trying to stir shit. Just thought it should be mentioned.

asA
01-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Well, EZ is also selling a direct copy of the vivace on their website. It even says Neotat on the side. Ray Webb has been nothing but good to the industry as far as I'm concerned. Not trying to stir shit. Just thought it should be mentioned.

Yeah, just saw the neo tat rip... they just added those this week. Pretty lame. Ray at neotat has been copied so much it's a real bummer.

artoftatt2
01-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with you guys on neotatt even though he's not a tattooer he are had given back to tattooing and been good to me.

Leroy
01-08-2016, 11:46 AM
not for nuthin' but I didn't think this forum was big on supporting knock off machines. This EZ pen may work great, but for all intents and purposes, it is still a blatant copy of the hawk pen. I'm sure that there was a decent amount of coin spent on Cheyenne's part developing this machine and bringing it to market. I think it's unfair for a Chinese company to simply copy it exactly and put their own brand on it. There are other pen style machines around, so if the price of admission for Cheyenne is too high, there are alternatives that are made by people that actually give a damn about tattooing.

It could be said that Cheyenne's machine is also a very close copy of other similar machines, Stylus, to be specific. All of them similar to cosmetic machines that have been around for years. Now I'm not ok with much of the aesthetic being stolen but if it's a good machine and works well I'd say it's a fantastic way to help the market get converted over to cartridge setups.

OwlsDen
01-08-2016, 01:17 PM
It could be said that Cheyenne's machine is also a very close copy of other similar machines, Stylus, to be specific. All of them similar to cosmetic machines that have been around for years. Now I'm not ok with much of the aesthetic being stolen but if it's a good machine and works well I'd say it's a fantastic way to help the market get converted over to cartridge setups.

Swashdrive posted somethings about Cheyenne stealing a awash plate design from them for the pen.

ATS
01-08-2016, 03:18 PM
what I find interesting is how the goalposts move to comply with our own opinions.

There always has been, and always will be people rippng off others, in some shape or form.

Patrick
01-10-2016, 11:12 AM
what I find interesting is how the goalposts move to comply with our own opinions.

There always has been, and always will be people rippng off others, in some shape or form.

Agreed... But there is a difference between building off of an existing format or idea and copying a machine, verbatim (down to the name and labeling).

Bishopbyname
01-10-2016, 02:53 PM
I'm reluctant as there carts are largely shit! When i bought some of the T-Tech style white ones from them they were near identical to T-Tech, now they're selling clear plastic carts which are the same bargain basement shit all chinese suppliers are selling. The needles are such a loose fit it's ridiculous! Buyer beware!

artoftatt2
01-11-2016, 08:49 PM
I have tried their needles and had no problems

JoeyJimz
01-12-2016, 12:37 AM
i agree I've had no problems with their needles.

JoeyJimz
01-12-2016, 12:40 AM
Outlined using Ez carts and FK irons edge

OwlsDen
01-12-2016, 07:17 AM
Yeah I had a rubber band snap on the white ones once or twice but the new clear and purple ones have given me no issues.

Bishopbyname
01-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Maybe i had a bad batch but the liners were terrible!

JoeyJimz
01-12-2016, 06:05 PM
How high do you run you machines when you out line? and how much hang do you throw out?

Panos tattoo
01-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Has far as any originality goes I think the only true innovator I have seen is mike and the centris.
^^^^^agree with you and i want to add swashdrive.^^^^
i dont really care though if someone makes a similar shape or concept and sells it as a different brand.if someone feels like and can do it its cool.if he wants to upgrade it its even better.if he invents something new he stays in history as an innovator.so everyone wins here.if he wants to be the only one that produces that conncept and charge as much as he feels he can patent it and pay his annual fee in order to protect him.mind you that the amound is big because he has to do declare it in a lot of countries.if he pays patent for the USA nothing stops a european company for using it.so we are talking for a lot of fees here that excuse the overcharging price of the item.

joelhague
01-19-2016, 02:54 PM
So it is totally cool to talk about rad knock off here hey
Fucking Hippocrates

thesmokingmirror
01-19-2016, 03:17 PM
When its a big faceless corporation like Cheyenne or the Swiss Rotary nobody cares. Its funny there isnt mush variation in coils everything is based of OG builder frames like Jensen, Bulldog,,etc... so pretty much knockoffs but since they are mostly handbuilt no ones cares about this. Plenty of coil builders make money replicating designs they never came up with themselves

asA
01-19-2016, 03:38 PM
Didn't buy or sell the ez pen knowing it was a 79% copy of the cheyenne pen. Also didn't claim to make improvements to the machine making it better than the original. We all may have tried knock offs knowingly or not... if you try and sell knock off machines you'll probably get some grief.

brandonmull
01-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Valor were the first rotaries I bought, then purchased quite a few Dan kubins, a centri , amoeba design, a stylus, then the edge X, all were the real deal and i sure don't try to buy anything at all if seems not an real machine from a machine builder. I just look at it like any of that copy crap can't run near as good as the real machine.

Leroy
03-03-2016, 03:14 PM
So, back on topic. I've purchased one of these machines, they work great, push almost anything much more torque then my Stylus H. What I'm wondering is maintenance? Not a shred of paper work comes with these things and I haven't the slightest idea of how to take it apart, is it press fitted or screw on? How and when do I lubricate it??

Anyone else deal with these problems?

justinsmith
03-04-2016, 10:28 PM
Just wondering how long the motor will last, do they sell a replacement?

joelhague
03-04-2016, 11:22 PM
The orange part unscrews the same direction as the grip. Then also the machine body part unscrews from the motor body. Then the motor cap is press fitted

joelhague
03-04-2016, 11:24 PM
There is lock tite or something on the threads on the upper part so it was a bit of a bitch to unscrew . only part to be careful of is motor cap don't pull it off too hard or the wires will rip out. U never have to remove this piece i did by accident

tat2stave
03-10-2016, 02:55 AM
Yeah I got one and it's pretty sweet. Hits solid, runs smooth. I'd guesstimate a 4.2mm stroke.
As for maintenance, They glue/thread lock the shit outta the thing, so a real bitch to disassemble.
Wrap the hell outta the colored part and middle body with masking tape and visegrips did it for me.
If you're ballsy you could warm it with a flame to soften the locktite.

tat2dru
03-10-2016, 09:32 AM
I just got one last night, just by running it the stroke seems to be shorter than a 3.5 to me for some reason, I guess I'm so use to the hawk thunder. But seems ok,will try it out today on a few tattoos and see how good it is.

joelhague
03-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Ya I dunno what model that guy got with the 4.2 maybe a mix up mine is also shorter than 3.5 its like 3mm . its made me use less hang for working witch is sort of better I look at ez pen like the set it and forget it infomercial loll it works great just have to get used to lining better for fine line work but it did push my 14rl with a little nore of a tube riding technique . this machine really excellls at smooth shading it is so buttery smooth for shading its awesome . better blends I have noticed as well. Packs fast and smooth . better heals less trauma .

gautam
03-11-2016, 07:11 AM
they also EZ-HKSP Hawk Style Pen too..

anyone have used?

Leroy
03-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys... Jeez I tried everything except the vice grips and heating... won't come off. I guess I'll just need to try some stronger measures but I'm guessing the company doesn't suggest lubricating because it shouldn't need it like Cheyenne????

Any ideas on maintenance folks?

Also the different machine colors different throw lengths?? This company makes great machines but the documentation is horrid I wonder if we could find the Chinese website and translate...

hysobe
03-13-2016, 11:26 PM
i've seen some super nice results with the EZ-pen search 'cam lamley' i believe he is using the new EZ pen and tattoos well

tat2stave
03-14-2016, 04:43 AM
What volts are you running at? I use it at around 8-9v. I have a 3.5mm bishop and infinite irons and definitely a longer stroke than those.
I'd like to get my hands on a shorter stroke one too though.
I wonder if it's just luck of the draw. no two are quite the same kinda deal?

joelhague
03-14-2016, 07:47 AM
I'd trade you I want a longer stroke . mine comes apart now to re lube or clean all throughout I did scratch the shit out of it doing so though haha have it wrapped in one wrap of electrical tape to cover my mess Lol. Works great tho but ya mine is 3 mm stroke for sure

joelhague
03-14-2016, 07:48 AM
It runs more quiet then my thunder and that is saying a lot as it is the most quiet rotary I haver ever used

Jack Steel
03-15-2016, 02:39 AM
then you clearly havent used mine Joel ! :)

tat2dru
03-16-2016, 09:16 AM
I bought the hawk pen style not the ez filter, but I also have a cheyenne hawk pen and they are damn near identical, seems have a shorter stroke then 3.5 but runs great

gautam
03-16-2016, 09:54 AM
I bought the hawk pen style not the ez filter, but I also have a cheyenne hawk pen and they are damn near identical, seems have a shorter stroke then 3.5 but runs great

Does it run as strong as original Cheyenne pen? And have you used it yet how is it? I am interested to get one so can u please tell me is it good for color packing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

joelhague
03-17-2016, 02:48 AM
Is the stroke identical to your real one tat2dru?

tat2stave
03-17-2016, 03:04 AM
Well I measured the stroke on my filter pen and it's 3.5mm.
But it's a slower, punchier stroke than my other 3.5 rotaries.
Pretty weird. Must be the motor I guess. Doesn't heat up or sound like it's bogged down and runs super smooth.
I'm thinking I'll give one of there Cheyenne style pens a crack.

brimstonesix
04-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Can anyone verify if the motor is actually Japanese like they state on their site?

Jack Steel
04-11-2016, 03:49 PM

A pen shape is a pen shape ...

the stylus's motor is verticaly place in the grip
the cheyenne is horizontal

sleezy23
04-21-2016, 03:58 PM
i got an ez pen. love it. keeps up great, just as good as stylus v1 did.. i plan on banging with it every day until fk comes out with their pen ;)

sleezy23
04-21-2016, 03:59 PM
just be careful not to tear their flimsy cords. had to e mail them to order extra cords and grips. came with one grip and 2 cords

brimstonesix
04-22-2016, 01:08 AM
Recieved mine four days after ordering. It's nice and worked great,pretty damn impressed.

fkirons
04-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Hate to break it this way, but supporting this people that sell knock offs of almost every machine company is supporting thieves and the people that are here in this industry, not because they want to better the industry, but because they just want your money at all cost.

The have infringed every possible creative right.

if the advance in tattoo equipment would be up to this people we would still be poking by hand.

brandonmull
04-22-2016, 01:31 PM
The problem is there are so many people tattooing because of tv shows that they do not care where the cool machine comes from.

brimstonesix
04-22-2016, 03:23 PM
To be honest I only bought one to try it out before I put money down on the real thing. I've contemplated buying a Stylus or Hawk pen as well as FKs when it comes out. I still plan on buying a Direkt 2 once it's released.

RMNC
07-24-2016, 02:21 AM
i sold my thunder to try this after also having a full symbols system i hated, and a 3.5 Helix. kinda miss the 4mm throw in general. this is definitely 3.5. seems to work fine, if anything runs a bit slow for my liking, have to line at 12.5 ish volts, and color/shade at at 11.5. with ttechs. whats everyone else voltages? may sell it to get a swashdrive brush. the pen format is pretty nice. but still skeevy w not being able to really properly keep it clean enough to not OCD about it, unlike disposable rpg clicks. i feel like no one really likes to talk about that aspect of the cartridge in non-disposable grips like the pens have. anyways, long time lurker, first time poster. thx

kaydendigiovanni
09-05-2016, 08:50 PM
I have one, it runs perfectly. I also have another, just like it, from a guy in Ft Worth Texas, he called it the Alien... It has a 4mm stroke and really kicks ass.

Panos tattoo
09-09-2016, 03:13 PM
So it is totally cool to talk about rad knock off here hey
Fucking Hippocrates
so you are the one in the forum who never bought ez and t-tech cartridges and only buys cheyenne because they were the first who made the cartridge system!!lol

joelhague
09-10-2016, 03:49 AM
Actually cosmetic tattooing invented the cartridge system

joelhague
09-10-2016, 03:55 AM
And no panos I use whatever I like I use Cheyenne I use ttech I use whatever is doing the job well for me . the comment was reffering to people acting like I am some piece of shit because I purchased a couple knock off machines in the past even after spending thousands of dollars and supporting the real companies for years before and after. I just think its ridiculous one page I am demonized for buying a knock off AFTER buying the real version . and on another post everyone is like ya this knock off rules buy one u won't regret it !!!

joelhague
09-10-2016, 04:01 AM
And to keep this thread on track I own both ez pen. Hawk style pen. And real hawk pen. They all run great and close to the same. The one thing I found though is even though they all state they have 3.5 mm stroke. It is not true . the real hawk pen is the best. It has the 3.5 mm maybe a bit more the other two were much closer to 3 mm. It isn't a huge difference when u think of .5mm but it does make a big difference while tattooing . especially line work . the real hawk pen is where its at. And you know what buying the knock off first lead me to buying the real one after so both sides win. The end .

onechance
09-23-2016, 05:39 AM
look at new age tattoosuplly from elite needles they sell exacly the same pen for only 148usd shipped

adrian the sardinian
09-23-2016, 09:13 AM
personally, i have both the cheyenne pen and the ez cheyenne style pen and I really like the ez more.

Zomb
09-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Does anyone make disposable grips for the hawk pen? kinda like the ego ones for the thunder/spirit etc?

adrian the sardinian
09-26-2016, 08:13 AM
i spoke to Eileen at new age and they will be making them in the future

Butternuts
09-27-2016, 12:41 AM
I've been loving the pen style machines as of late. I have the Bronc rotary pen from Hummingbird which is a very nice machine. Hits harder than the EZ pen so I've been using it as a liner. I just got the new Rambo pen from EZ today and got to do a small piece with it. They def did something different with it versus the Filter pen b/c it is literally dead silent while running and seems to run at lower volts. I equate quite with smooth and you literally can't tell the machine is turned on. Also, if anyone is wondering how the new NATS carts are with the membrane in them, they are pretty awesome. No weird tension or anything like that and they run smooth.

olddirty625
11-09-2016, 03:28 PM
just got it yesterday and it worked just fine.... what is everyone running theirs at for lining and shading.... i have to get used to it since im coming off my inkjecta flite v2

Bishopbyname
11-09-2016, 03:41 PM
I shade at around 10v with mine. To be fair it's one of the smoothest running shaders i own and i own ALOT!

olddirty625
11-09-2016, 03:45 PM
so what voltage are you lining at? I did a little black and grey last night, so i ran it at 8.5v on my critical

Butternuts
11-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Dang you guys run your machines fast!! I shade and color at around 5-6 volts. Don't really care much for it as a liner unless you're using a really small needle grouping like a 3rl.

Cabal Tattoo
11-14-2016, 06:52 PM
I have just bought an EZ Bat and I must say that they are awesome and very very well built solid machines. Cheyenne grips are compatible and all carts also if I'm not mistaken.

They come with 3 cams to change the throw, 3, 3.5 and 4 mm...!

hellraiser6662
11-16-2016, 05:37 PM
I would say any flite v2 cams would fit that as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cabal Tattoo
11-17-2016, 01:23 PM
One thing though, if you have fast hand movements, the click-grip will click on you once in a while just like the hawk and it is an RCA connection so...

jtc
11-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Pulled the trigger on the Filter v2. I'll do a review once I've gotten it and used it for a bit. Apparently it has the same motor as the Rambo but the profile of the pen is shorter-which I like. If I like how the stylus style machine works, I'll probably pull the trigger on a Hawk pen or wait till FK comes out with a pen style. On that note, I really want to pick up a Direkt 2 as well...this is starting to become an addiction.