PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 woes

rayofthedead
05-23-2016, 06:48 PM
This is part review part venting. I ordered the Arctic Ice Halo 2 the day it hit the site. I also ordered the matching grip which didn't hit the site until a week later for some reason. Once I got the Halo I was stoked. It looks and feels like a quality machine. The finish on the Arctic Ice model is really cool too. It's like unfinished aluminum, and I say that in a good way. I ran that bad boy for a week and fell in love. It has everything my Edge X has plus more give and will run traditional needles and tubes. It's just awesome.

About 10 days or so, it started stalling on me when I pressed the peda down. If I tapped the give knob it started right up but I'd have to do that every time I stopped. I noticed the motor heating up after a bit of running it this way. I tried a bunch of cartridges to no avail. I was so stoked to have the machine, I didnt want to send it back so I pulled the motor out and ran it for a sec to see if it gave me any trouble. I put a small dab of lube on the shaft after pulling the cam and also on the slide to see if it was a line issue. Nothing changed so I disconnected it and put it in the drawer and decided to send it back.

The fact that the machine was giving me trouble doesn't bother me one bit. It happens and I know the type of quality FKI is known for. My complaint is with how everything transpired after I sent it back. I won't even call this a complaint, but a warning to anyone experiencing issues with their equipment. They determined that the motor was over lubricated and that I needed a replacement motor. They told me this wasn't covered under warranty. I understand why because they assume I over lubed it and that was that. I explained to them that I only lubed it after having issues. I'm ok with this because I'm impatient and wanted to try to fix the damn thing myself. My issue is that I'll never know what was actually wrong with my machine. Hopefully it was a motor issue and it will be fine when I get it back. Like I said, just a warning. Learn from my mistake and don't tinker if it's fucked up.

my only true complaint is that they never told me what was wrong with my machine. I didn't get notice that they received the machine, looked at the machine, or that I even owed them money for the repair. It was after my third call to them that I found out it was 'pending payment'. The guy who helped me was super nice and even sympathetic when I told him what happened. I just wish I would have been kept posted on my machine. I don't make a lot of money and i only have 2 machines, this Halo 2 and my Edge X. Luckily the Edge runs like a top but if I didn't have it or it broke down, I'd be screwed.

I guess this is just a critique on the repair process more than anything. It's not the end of the world and hopefully my machine runs great when I get it back. I just thought I'd post something since it was on my mind. FK makes a great product and their customer service is great, hopefull this is just a hiccup and any more interaction I have with them will go smooth.

Christo
05-23-2016, 07:22 PM
By this account, you have been a pretty stand up guy to have accepted liability in the first place, when the faulty motor is still there, surely it could be identified as problematic regardless of the lubing.. I should hope it comes back perfect

rayofthedead
05-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Thats all I'm hoping is that it was a faulty motor. I had a Stigma Bizarre a while back that had a slide that was just a bit to big and it was causing friction in the machine and they had to send me a new, modified slide. I just hope that the motor was the issue and I dont have to send it back again. Yeah, I'm bummed that i had to pay $100 for a new motor but like i said, i accept responsibility for the lubing, but if it was a faulty motor, i'm ok with it and I'm just out a hundred bucks and I learned a valuable lesson.

eduki
05-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Hi there! You gave an honest description of what happened, sorry for your problem and I understand your frustration, knowing that wasn't you who fucked up the rotary, but I also have to understand Fkirons as they don't know if your excess of lubrication was the origen of the problem or not and they have a legit excuse to talk about warranty limits, but at the same time kind of weird that they didn't have more reports of problems like you had, and give you an explanation.
Bad idea to open by yourself the machine, even if you don't touch anything inside and just open it, it's enough to be out of warranty 99% of times with whatever the item in this world.

Jesse Phillips
05-23-2016, 09:59 PM
If they told you what was wrong then they would have to accept responsibility for the problem. Thats one scenario. Another is that you slipped through the cracks and didnt get the communication that your problem deserved. Who knows man. Pro tip: You need more than 2 machines.

rayofthedead
05-23-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm willing to accept that I probably slipped through the cracks and got forgotten about. I really dont have hard feelings about it, I'm definitely willing to give them another shot if it comes down to it. I never use more than one machine for any given tattoo, i feel a daily driver and a backup should suffice. Especially when using $550+ machines and cartridges.

eduki- just to clarify, i never opened the motor, the halo 2 has a motor system where the motor disconnects from the machine for quick swapping. I never did anything to the interior parts of the motor.

Butternuts
05-23-2016, 11:29 PM
I had both the Halo 1 and 2. How did you over lube it enough to get it into the motor?

eduki
05-23-2016, 11:57 PM
I'm willing to accept that I probably slipped through the cracks and got forgotten about. I really dont have hard feelings about it, I'm definitely willing to give them another shot if it comes down to it. I never use more than one machine for any given tattoo, i feel a daily driver and a backup should suffice. Especially when using $550+ machines and cartridges.

eduki- just to clarify, i never opened the motor, the halo 2 has a motor system where the motor disconnects from the machine for quick swapping. I never did anything to the interior parts of the motor.
Yes, my bad... I misunderstood you sorry

joelhague
05-24-2016, 02:24 PM
To be honest I have had problems with almost all of my fk iron machines I won't go into huge detail and well there customer service had been good in the past I also experience the same as you being ignored / forgotten sad they have had a down fall of it with them getting so much busier Really frustrating when you are loyal to a company for years and send out recommendations to buy there products and then they make you not want to continue doing business with them after repeated incidents like this

rayofthedead
05-24-2016, 04:53 PM
I hear that man. I also am a huge proponent of supporting machine makes that are artists as well and are actually beneficial to the progress of our industry. I stopped using Cheyenne products and started with FK solely for that reason and stuck with them because of their quality. Hopefully with all of their success and hard work, they can maintain their standard not only in products but in all aspects of to company. I plan on being a long time supporter of FK Irons but I won't give them blind allegiance.

painman
05-25-2016, 09:32 AM
My Halo2 runs like shit too and gets very hot. Going to send it back soon. Needle stabilizing wheel runs badly and screw is now ruined because it was too tight. It came with only 2 stroke wheels, 3.4mm and 4mm. But now Iīve seen some pics and unpacking video with 3 stroke wheels. I send email about those problems, but didnīt get any reply.

rayofthedead
05-25-2016, 09:50 AM
That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear you had such trouble with your machine. Fortunately my machine came with all of the stroke wheels. I only sent it back with one because I didn't want anything to get left out. The only hint my machine didn't come with was a few stickers like they usually sent. I know it's petty but I actually look forward to getting s couple new stickers to put on my box.

joelhague
05-25-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm sure they will get u sorted they always seem to in the end but its just become a constant fuck around for the last year or so it seems . sorry to hear your machine doesn't run the way you expected that was my exact experience and when I pay top dollar for a machine I sort of expect it to be problem free . I also don't like paying for a upgrade a couple months later . my halo 1 give knob would turn on its own and adjust itself and vibrate a lot above 8.5 to 9 volts too much to make the needle really steady at high speed . I was pretty annoyed I spent 500 bucks on a machine with a self adjusting give knob that give me needle wobble while lining fast . then told I need a power slider a couple months later . then I get edge x down the road and the give did not go very soft at all not like the video showed. Coworker had his 2 break the slide cover and also the give knob. Owned a few direkts and 3 of there coils but they have all left my studio for good now

fkirons_kayleigh
05-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Hi Ray,
First, I would like to express my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced.

To address the service for your machine, we do have a 16 point inspection that is performed on each machine that is sent in for repair or service regardless of the issue that covered every aspect of the machine from vise function to washer position to motor function, etc…
A copy of this form is included with the returned machine so that you will know everything that was serviced on the machine, and a copy is also kept in-house for any future issues.

I have taken a look at your service form and while inspecting your machine, the issue of the “kick-starting” that you were experiencing was determined to be the fault of a slightly lower than standard positioned needle runner bearing. Since this piece was either installed lower than usual, or had come loose and fell into a lower position, the bearing was pressing down on the needle bar too much, causing it to bow into a slight U shape once the needle bar was installed in the machine sitting under the runner; because of this, the bar war arching up inside of the cartridge grip causing it to snag on the internals of the grip and requiring the nudge of the give knob to get it going again after stopping.

This was fixed by raising the tensioner wheel and securing it into place so that it was not longer applying excess pressure onto the needle bar and allowing the machine to run upon starting without having to press the give knob and fixing the original problem.

As part of our all over testing we generally try to run each machine overnight to ensure that there are no other issues that could be missed prior to sending back a machine; at this point we noticed that after about 20 minutes there seemed to be a power fluctuation that was causing the machine to speed up and slow down. The same continued when the motor was tested alone, which is when it was opened to find the lubrication that you mentioned. The motor of the machine is not supposed to be lubricated, especially around the shaft, as this can seem down and insulate the brushes of the motor causing the fluctuations that were experienced, which is why we recommended the new motor for the machine.

I apologize for the confusion, and any miscommunication that has happened on our end. We understand that these machines are used for artists to make a living, and never want to intentionally cause delays or make anyone feel as though they have slipped through the cracks or had any concerns that were not addressed.

I will have the service form sent over to you so that you are able to see what I have mentioned, and will ensure that we send it to cosmicpriMate rather than cosmicpriVate as we did before! I’ll also make sure that you receive extra stickers for your tool box as we’ve recently received a bunch of new designs!

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions, or if there is anything else that I am able to do to assist you. My email is [email protected], or you can call the office at 1-855-354-7667

fkirons_kayleigh
05-25-2016, 04:36 PM
My Halo2 runs like shit too and gets very hot. Going to send it back soon. Needle stabilizing wheel runs badly and screw is now ruined because it was too tight. It came with only 2 stroke wheels, 3.4mm and 4mm. But now Iīve seen some pics and unpacking video with 3 stroke wheels. I send email about those problems, but didnīt get any reply.

If you'd like to send me more information on the issues that you are experiencing we are able to troubleshoot most issues through email so that you don't have to send your machine back overseas.

As for the stroke wheel, the original shipments of the Halo 2 only included the 3.4mm and the 4.0mm stroke wheels, we did not introduce the 2.8mm stroke until later based on customer feedback, however, we are providing these free of charge to anyone who did not receive them originally, I would just need your shipping address.

You can contact me through my direct email [email protected], or you can shoot me a message through the forum and I will be sure to have that straightened for you.

fkirons
05-25-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm sure they will get u sorted they always seem to in the end but its just become a constant fuck around for the last year or so it seems . sorry to hear your machine doesn't run the way you expected that was my exact experience and when I pay top dollar for a machine I sort of expect it to be problem free . I also don't like paying for a upgrade a couple months later . my halo 1 give knob would turn on its own and adjust itself and vibrate a lot above 8.5 to 9 volts too much to make the needle really steady at high speed . I was pretty annoyed I spent 500 bucks on a machine with a self adjusting give knob that give me needle wobble while lining fast . then told I need a power slider a couple months later . then I get edge x down the road and the give did not go very soft at all not like the video showed. Coworker had his 2 break the slide cover and also the give knob. Owned a few direkts and 3 of there coils but they have all left my studio for good now

Aww man. You are at it again. Should I proceed with the other side of the story?

Heath
05-25-2016, 10:40 PM
FK, Kayleigh and Gaston have always taken great care of any issues I've had. They are human and do care unlike most companies. Client's hair got caught in my Edge's drive cam and they replaced the cam under warranty. Sent countless Halos in for small repairs over the past 3 years and they have always gone above and beyond the call of duty for me. I own 5 Halos and never had a single issue with a give knob. The Edge X's give is nothing short of perfection. Did you actually tattoo multiple large scale pieces with it and see how they heal? I have clients FLOCKING back to my studio saying they healed faster, better and insane time frames (3 days pealed) from their work I've done with the Edge X using full give.

I own an Edge X, a Direkt, 5 Halos and 5 or 6 FK coils still to this day. Cannot say that about any other tattoo machine company I own. So yes there are two sides to every story.

rayofthedead
05-25-2016, 10:58 PM
Kayleigh,
I can't thank you enough for posting here as well as calling me personally at my shop to explain the issues with my machine. I appreciate your professionalism and your attention to customer relations. I completely understand the clerical error regarding the email and could never hold that against you guys. I'm also relieved to hear that the actual issue was discovered and repaired. I'd also like to reitterate for anyone reading that I was the dummy that screwed up the motor and and not placing any blame on FKI for that issue. Thanks again. I remain a satisfied customer.

brandonmull
05-26-2016, 10:33 AM
This is a good read about responsibility and response.

chris-in-cali
05-26-2016, 03:48 PM
ya…they have always went above and beyond for me as well….nothing but good things to say about that entire operation..

hellraiser6662
05-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Yep ive had nothing but good from kayleigh and gaston. Good to meet at the uk conventions, always have time to talk. If ive had any probs its sorted without any hassles even though im in the uk..Even had gaston supply me with a motor to fit my hawk, over a conversion we had at a uk convention. what companies would do that? help you by suppling a motor from them to fit something else, because they buy motors in bulk and pasted the saving to me and shipped it to the uk. Yes i think sometimes things must get a little busy and people get over looked. Its bad enough running a tattoo studio let alone a machine building workshop and supply the world with machines. Fk has a good rep and some other machine builders need to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

painman
05-27-2016, 12:28 PM
If you'd like to send me more information on the issues that you are experiencing we are able to troubleshoot most issues through email so that you don't have to send your machine back overseas.

As for the stroke wheel, the original shipments of the Halo 2 only included the 3.4mm and the 4.0mm stroke wheels, we did not introduce the 2.8mm stroke until later based on customer feedback, however, we are providing these free of charge to anyone who did not receive them originally, I would just need your shipping address.

You can contact me through my direct email [email protected], or you can shoot me a message through the forum and I will be sure to have that straightened for you.
Contacted both ways. No reply.

joelhague
05-27-2016, 01:46 PM
This is an honest review of my experience what more is there to say. I used to sugar coat the flaws and look past them now I'll say it how it is . should I lie and say my machines came from your company perfect that I never had any issues ? Or had any problems with customer service over the last 3 years. Sorry man just speaking from my experience.

joelhague
05-27-2016, 01:50 PM
I like honest reviews that's why I come to this site. Not everything is going to be good end of story I have spent thousands of dollars with your company I think I am entitled to speak my mind

fkirons
05-27-2016, 08:46 PM
This is an honest review of my experience what more is there to say. I used to sugar coat the flaws and look past them now I'll say it how it is . should I lie and say my machines came from your company perfect that I never had any issues ? Or had any problems with customer service over the last 3 years. Sorry man just speaking from my experience.

Now I would like to take a moment to voice my personal experience with you.

How can you use the word "honest" when you were knowingly selling counterfeit Halo 1 and your actions were brought up on social media by many artists?

The fact that you have spent money with our company doesn't give you the right to sell counterfeit products of ours hard work sir.

So who's sugar coating it in here?

Your true disappointment suddenly happened after your acts were exposed. Before that, you were a happy customer and we always went above and beyond to assist you. So much, that we even agreed to sell you original spare parts just to learn later on that they were used to build counterfeit Halo1 which you had the bright idea to list them on legit tattoo forums for sale expecting legit artists to applaud your actions.

So the sugar coating goes both way. If you had so many problems with our product then it's safe to state that all the FK products you recently posted for sales have some sort of problems... Make sure you are transparent with your buyers.

On a side note: We've never claimed to make error free machines and a lot of people in here know that when things go wrong we are here to make it right. We work very hard to make tattooing a better experience and we plan to continue doing so.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dameluz
05-28-2016, 05:08 AM
Ouch... That hurt...

rayofthedead
05-28-2016, 09:26 AM
It was definitely not my intention to stir up any shit with this post. My main motivation was to warn people not to tinker with your shit when it breaks down if you plan on having the manufacturer repair it. After the clerical error and my machine were fixed, my machine was sent back to me via NEXT DAY USPS along with some extra swag to soften the blow. My machine runs great and I'm a satisfied customer. Regardless of the hiccups we had, FKI handled my situation with grace and professionalism. That's paramount in a company in our industry. Thanks again to everyone involved.

Jack Steel
05-29-2016, 07:43 AM
I met the FK headmaster and his right hand (wo)man at the Dortmund convention a few days ago
We had chats about production , service and all what a company goes trough ...
I think if u get at Gaston or K. personally every issue would be resolved.

It's sad to read here how u publicly call a machine crap ...
we are all just humans, and mistakes get made ...

if you grow to a surtain point , it's possible here and there and problems with the products you make , the way you take care of it , is what count's in my book.
and if you don't get a fast responce , pic up a phone and call them ?

PS. If you are a serious tattooer i think u allways need more then 2 machines?

i'm not choosing sides here , but it's allways the same, on every forum i come across , weither it's a bike or car forum ...
things get blown out of proportion

It's easy to complain about stuff , but try to do a better job or even try to do what some do and then you'll see it's not as easy as you may think

peace

darkness
11-06-2016, 05:04 AM
i would not buy any more from fki , i have a halo1 thats dont work right ,my edgex are after 2 weeks running inconsisten that i can hear like a china rotary .After buying a new one ( 3days) i notice by first use the motor runs different to my first edgex thats 3 month old. And its was running more inconsitent like the older and get hot.I use 9 to 10v with a bit of give only and yes i have try different cords.

brandonmull
11-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Fki machines I hav run solid and are almost all I have used for 2 years now.

darkness
11-06-2016, 07:48 AM
this was my first ,after speaking with other artist -a lot tell me the same issue with the motor.

Zbel
11-08-2016, 01:49 AM
I have had an edge X running inconsistent- returned it and got a new motor installed- GREAT AND FAST service .. I have had halos in the past,
run all good with no probs.

darkness
11-08-2016, 03:52 AM
do you send it back to supplier or to usa fkirons ? - the machines are 1 week and the other 3 month ? ...shipping from here is nearly 65 euro to usa and have to register by customs before ,otherwise i pay customs again when its coming back :(

Zbel
11-09-2016, 03:20 AM
I shipped it back to FKI directly - be sure to register customs - i did that too...

hellraiser6662
11-10-2016, 07:13 PM
I had a motor do that but i got sent a replacement.. i found the old motor plug a few months ago as i needed a motor so i took it apart used the motor in something else and found no problems with the motor at all it ran fine but in the plug it ran crap.(halo1 plug) I think its going to be the way the motor is sitting in the plug casting. Maybe not the motor itself. Try undoing the 2 fixing allen key take the motor out clean up the contacts make sure its earthing right and you might find once fitted back together you'll be good to go. The way the motor fits into the plug and touches the back of the rca for the positive and the earth is the plug casting itself on to the motor very simple and effective but can have problems, relies on touch to get electic not soldering wires. Over time things move ie back of the rca or just plain built on a monday morning so things just isnt touching right could be the problem....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Metalveined
11-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Ive had a Halo v1 and still have 2x Direkt v1's and an Edge X. Unfortunately I've noticed problems with wearing of parts and noisy inconsistent motors despite cleaning and maintenance.

Im in the UK and although It sounds like FK have great service in the US, the frequency of problems and the cost to send them for repair or servicing has really put me off.