PDA

View Full Version : New Machine

JCarlton
07-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to share my latest build with you. The frame is one piece steel and the motor housing is hand turned copper. The machine uses standard front and back springs and you can adjust the give as well as stroke length with a turn of the contact screw. I have been running it at 6 volts for everything and have had no issues. very smooth and quiet. Can hit extremely soft or as hard as direct drive. This is a prototype but I might make some in bronze or aluminum if there is enough interest. Thanks for checking it out.-J

Rotar
07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
wow! very very nice. . .

JCarlton
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks, I know its not all fancy but I kinda like it that way.

Jaes
07-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm loving the coil look with the rotary function, the A bar set up is simply genius, am I right in assuming it has an adjustable stroke?

JCarlton
07-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Thank man, yeah adjustable stroke as well as give. it uses standard springs so you can change them out and dial it in even more if you want. Really fun machine.

fkirons
07-06-2011, 12:05 AM
I really like this hybrid look.
I like the dry bearing shaft too.

JCarlton
07-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks Gaston. It was a fun build. Super stoked on you're new one. Cant wait.

fkirons
07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks Gaston. It was a fun build. Super stoked on you're new one. Cant wait.

Dope man. I'll keep you posted. getting closer and closer. These rotary making is a different world...I thought it was going to be easier :p

hendricksonart.com
07-06-2011, 12:33 AM
hmmm thats really interesting hard for me to picture how that works, not saying it doesn't just hard to picture the two working togeather

JCarlton
07-06-2011, 12:47 AM
The a-bar is free to move up the swing arm shaft therefore relying on the pressure of the back spring for the amount of "give" when the contact screw is turned up or down it adds more or less pressure resulting in harder or softer give and respective stroke length.

Rotar
07-06-2011, 12:53 AM
i know it works very well, it functions like everyone needs from a machine... its looks same with a friend from here . . .http://rotarmachine.webs.com/hybrid.PNG

JCarlton
07-06-2011, 12:59 AM
It's hard to tell from your photos rotar but that looks like a direct connection from swingarm to a-bar. My machine is free from the swingarm allowing you to actually tune and adjust the give of the machine. Maybe you're friend's is as well I cant really tell.

Rotar
07-06-2011, 01:19 AM
yeah i think so, because u have different cam bar that is not fixed to the arm and the contact spring will really work with that new design u have. awesome josh. :)

Cyberitual
07-06-2011, 01:56 AM
I think that is a perfect definition of a hybrid, Very cool looking. You know your gonna have to send me one ;) lol. Send me a video bro!

gangstajay
07-06-2011, 04:00 AM
man that is dope

Davidbautista90
07-06-2011, 04:40 AM
That's a beautiful machine, love to have one in the arsenal along with Gaston's Spektra, can't wait until theyre available!

spoonertattoos
07-06-2011, 06:33 AM
How much you gonna charge?

Mr.Taboo
07-06-2011, 10:15 AM
The a-bar is free to move up the swing arm shaft therefore relying on the pressure of the back spring for the amount of "give" when the contact screw is turned up or down it adds more or less pressure resulting in harder or softer give and respective stroke length.
Ahh now it makes sense , when I first saw it my brain went into coil mode and I thought the contact screw had power going to it and wondered how is the motor gonna keep going when the contact is broken.:confused:
:o

slicksteel
07-06-2011, 11:42 AM
very cool!, simple yet functional and looks easy to repair. I like that you actually have a frame that fits the motor. Love the look but not some much the color.I have switched back to my coils as i love the weight and feel and I like to tinker with my stuff- so I want one rotary only that i could change up of I wanted -maybe this one are the pirates prototype is the one for me!

Tat2dPinoy
07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Best of both worlds! What's the weight Josh?

JCarlton
07-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Right now the weight is a little over 5 0z. I actually like machines with a bit of weight on them, but for those who need lighter machines I may produce some aluminum ones.

slicksteel
07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Right now the weight is a little over 5 0z. I actually like machines with a bit of weight on them, but for those who need lighter machines I may produce some aluminum ones.

I found that 4 to 6 oz is a good weight to. not to light or heavy. to light and to me it seems like it fatigues your hand more with larger groups.

gangstajay
07-06-2011, 02:28 PM
iam with slick..thats about a good weight ..like the RW they feel good in your hand

Jaes
07-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm down for an aluminium frame if it goes into production, I think it's brilliant.

peter clements
07-06-2011, 08:04 PM
I'd really like one of these in alluminium also. Joshua has a sure winner here, the possibilities for different frame styles are boundless. Well done Josh, you never fail to produce good stuff that we can all enjoy. A man who likes to share .

JCarlton
07-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks guys, I will keep everyone posted as these progress. -J

fkirons
07-07-2011, 03:00 AM
5 oz is perfect for disposable and SS. Especially if you are lining with it.
I find that heavier rotaries are easier to line with.
I want one Josh Hit me up if you can make make me one, I must own that one!

anothernick
07-07-2011, 03:29 AM
That looks great!! i'd like to try some heavier rotaries, i find i sometimes have to adjust how i tattoo because all the ones i have are hella light! nice job!!

tattoopoe
07-11-2011, 10:44 AM
beautifull, but when you stop the machine, the needle is allways out, or it isnīt Josh?

The Limey
07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Looks like you have a winner there Josh, that style will most likely appeal to some of the old school coil guys too.

Is the cam shaft a modded steering link from an RC car?

hendricksonart.com
07-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Still trying to figure out how give is adjustable so where the screw from the crank connects to the armature bar there is a certain amount of play there, and this is where the upper springs comes into play?

slicksteel
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
ahh carlton beat me to it ,i had this same idea but i bought some delrin to make some custom frames and i had some old cam monster 3d relief frames that ran like shit for coils. Here is were i was getting my cranks from - http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotary-Tattoo-Lightweight-Machine-Gun-BLUE-Liner-Shader-/190505561561?pt=Tattoos_Body_Art&hash=item2c5b042dd9

JohnnyChaos
07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Still trying to figure out how give is adjustable so where the screw from the crank connects to the armature bar there is a certain amount of play there, and this is where the upper springs comes into play?
the crank isn't connected to the armature. the screw from the crank goes through a hole in the a-bar but it isn't fixed to it.
So the motor can only push the a-bar upwards. and the tension in the springs bring it back down.

andrewc
07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
this is a cool idea shit looks like you could set it up and sell as a conversion kit with a set of coils with it and interchange the motor for the coils that would be cool too

slicksteel
07-11-2011, 02:44 PM
on mine I was simply going to use a full size frame with the a square delrin block that the motor would slide into and have a side set screw on each lower end side of the block and the block would be mounted to the coil frame via the bottom coil screws. The block would be bored out and cut in half to make a rounded cradle for the motor. These were going to have the same weight as a midweight coil machine. that swap idea is what i had to so if a guys motor took a shit he could swap in some coils if need be in a pinch.

gangstajay
07-12-2011, 01:22 AM
def a good simple idea for a machine I would love to use one of these

slicksteel
07-12-2011, 10:55 AM
nice looking machine for sure.

Dreviltattoo
07-12-2011, 11:59 AM
really cool idea but how much does that thing weigh?

elbo
07-14-2011, 03:23 PM
i must be the odd one out there...cant see the point in making a rotary with springs?...why not just use a coil?....hey Joshua is one amazing tattooer for sure and will blow me away everytime in the art stakes.... but i just cant see the benefits...sorry guys you all seem so positive,but i see it as a backward step...just my opinion fellows.

tattooedpirate2
07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Its way more exact in penitration of the needle. I have been working with springs on some machines and it makes for an easy return spring mechanism. Getting return is cruicial to the performance of your machine. I love coil springs in my machines but trying to cram a whole bunch of parts in a small space is nerve racking. The simple flat spring makes it simple to repair when its broken. Suppose your machine builder died, how would you fix it? Simplicity is the trick, just like an AK 47 sloppy as hell in side but will function long after the owner ia dead.

slicksteel
07-15-2011, 01:11 AM
I myshelf still love my coils and can take a 12 china machine and twick it to perform like a 500 doller rotary!

slicksteel
07-15-2011, 01:18 AM
I do think your new machine cary is the best of both worlds,user friendly,clean looking,proper weight,user teakable!

JCarlton
07-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes the drive shaft is from an RC car. If I end up producing more than a handful I will more than likely use some sort of bearing system. As far as why I made it. Honestly I just enjoy building machines. Just like I enjoy painting. There are some unbelievable builders on and off of this forum and Its fun to throw a project in the mix. I have noticed that the lack of a-bar hitting a coil does seem to give a more fluid strike.

rotaryworks
07-15-2011, 04:50 AM
yes very nice machine.but i do like a good hard hitting rotary though thats why a rotary is solid ...............but have said that an idea for you jc or anyone out there the threaded bar you have going through the arm bar make it bigger put a spring over thread bar and a locking bolt on the top of it still keep the nut under the arm bar as for the arm bar sit on you all with me ......get rid of front coil machine spring even the back and put in on a pin you have then a machine with ajustable spring thats still pulls up and down and as soft and hard as you like this is the way i see it hope this not offended any one peace .......dale

slicksteel
07-15-2011, 11:07 AM
yea dale good ideas to, but i think jcarlton wanted to just wanted to make a simple smooth runner for fun.

peter clements
07-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Dale's ideas are very interesting. In fact- Dale, make the machine.

rotaryworks
07-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I,d love to I have no time believe it I tattoo 6 days a week 9till6 and make my machines need more days in the week

gangstajay
07-16-2011, 08:43 PM
yeah dale that does sound good..to bad we cant add a day or two