PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the ipower watch yet?

eric03
04-16-2017, 10:56 PM
Hey. Just curious if anyone has tried the ipower watch, ipowerwatch.com, and if you haven can you offer your thoughts or issues with it. Seems like a real nice thing to use with a pen, esp With the new fk irons when it comes out. Thanks for the info.

Butternuts
04-17-2017, 09:35 AM
How can it be cleaned/disinfected? Judging from their owners manual they are worried about a little condensation killing it so I would imagine spraying or wiping it down with wavicide wouldn't go over well. Using the palm of your tattooing hand to stretch, that wrist unit is definitely going to be coming in contact with blood through the course of a tattoo.

eric03
04-17-2017, 01:07 PM
That's what I thought was a little strange. How Pourous is it to b concerned about a little moisture? Not to mention the cleaning of it with the mini USB port having no cover. All these battery powered machines n power supply seem like a good idea but no one has figured out a way to truly make them work. The idea of the watch is cool, esp with a pen machine but how it truly works is the question. The videos posted have them wrapped but there's no real reviews online. That's y I was curious and figured it would b a good topic. Thanks for your thoughts.

Butternuts
04-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Just ordered one to see what it is all about. I will let you know once I get to play around with it.

nivek
04-17-2017, 11:34 PM
More overly complicated shit trying to make money of the tattoo industry....

eric03
04-17-2017, 11:50 PM
Cool. Sounds good. Thanks

Butternuts
04-17-2017, 11:51 PM
More overly complicated shit trying to make money of the tattoo industry....

Seems pretty straight forward...there is what, one button? $150 Ill give it a whirl and see what its about.

nivek
04-18-2017, 12:07 AM
150 for something that does what a $20 clipboard does... only attached to your wrist... that's what I mean by over complicate... why over engineer what has worked for so long ? I wonder if the guy that designed it tattoos ?

Butternuts
04-18-2017, 01:34 AM
The whole "wireless" thing has appealed to me for a while now, just could never pull the trigger on buying the Ink Machines setup in fear that I wouldn't like the machines. 150 bucks I'll take the risk...could be a diamond in the rough or a complete pile of dog shit. I'll report back after it comes in and I get some proper time on it.

eric03
04-18-2017, 02:19 AM
My main concern with these kind of battery power supplies,aside from keeping them clean, is how they run when they run out of juice? I have an electric shaver n when that thing starts to run out of a charge, n gets stuck in my facial hair, it's no joke. Haha. It says it runs for two hours which seems problematic if it's a big piece. As far as it being over complicated, I get what u mean in one aspect but not having to deal with the cord getting tangled, hooked on something, or the foot pedal rolling under ur chair, it would seem to make things less complicated. Over all, yea it could suck donkey dick or b great. Either way, one of the things that makes tattooing fun for me, is trying new products. Even if they suck, atleast u can try something new so shit doesn't get boring. No one says u have to use everything that comes out, but if something can make the job a lil easier, I'm always down to try it. U don't know though unless u try it. Some things that come out r just so beyond pointless n a cash grab in my opinion but something that make tattooing feel even more like drawing, can potentially b cool. If it Works of course.

eric03
04-18-2017, 02:21 AM
Plus, I don't think this particular company has anything to do with the ipower power supply that runs off ur phone or iPad. That can get confusing for both companies if they don't have anything to do with one another.

nivek
04-18-2017, 10:10 AM
My main concern with these kind of battery power supplies,aside from keeping them clean, is how they run when they run out of juice? I have an electric shaver n when that thing starts to run out of a charge, n gets stuck in my facial hair, it's no joke. Haha. It says it runs for two hours which seems problematic if it's a big piece. As far as it being over complicated, I get what u mean in one aspect but not having to deal with the cord getting tangled, hooked on something, or the foot pedal rolling under ur chair, it would seem to make things less complicated. Over all, yea it could suck donkey dick or b great. Either way, one of the things that makes tattooing fun for me, is trying new products. Even if they suck, atleast u can try something new so shit doesn't get boring. No one says u have to use everything that comes out, but if something can make the job a lil easier, I'm always down to try it. U don't know though unless u try it. Some things that come out r just so beyond pointless n a cash grab in my opinion but something that make tattooing feel even more like drawing, can potentially b cool. If it Works of course.

That being all said, my wireless foot pedal from critical is one of my favorite things so.. yeah I get ya.

eric03
04-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Critical is hands down not only one if the best power supply companies but one of the best companies overall with customer service and quality. I had the wireless pedal. I really liked it. When the batter started dying though, u had to really hit it hard or in the right spot. It got a lil annoying to me personally. Now I have been using the fk dark lab for almost 3 years now n I have love it.

nivek
04-19-2017, 11:41 AM
I had problems with my pedal - send it to them - got one back that was pretty much brand new, for the cost of shipping. Critical really knows how to do it right. They want to keep their clients.

My 3 or 4 year old C2xg2 has an issue, its nothing major - they gave me MANY reasonable options for replacement/repair, for the cost of a new one (I wanted the 2 clipcord model) they are sending me a new one - plus totally refurbishing my current one at no extra charge, just have to send it back to them.

eric03
04-19-2017, 04:04 PM
Yea, critical is amazing. The only power supply I have used in the past 10 years or so. Great company.

sammyfrog75
04-21-2017, 12:12 AM
I haven't got one, but I asked them how long the batteries last on a single charge and they said between 4-5 hours..... and you get 500 recharge.... I'll wait til it last longer on a single charge and if I get more than 500 recharge.....

Butternuts
04-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Got it in yesterday and tried it out last night on a small quote that ran along the hairline. Definitely an awesome feeling not dragging wires around. Unit is simple to bag using clip cord sleeves (I get the big roll from Kingpin). Using it is pretty straight forward. Hold the button in to start the machine and push the button twice to change the voltage. I do think a nex generation improvement would be to be able to plug it into your computer and dial in your own voltage ranges you want b/c the lowest it will go is 5 volts and I have used machines before with really fast motors that 5 volts would be flying. So far so good for me though. I use an Inkjecta Flite Nano and the voltage presets on the watch seem to mesh well with it. Will post back some more info after I get put a good, few hour session on it.

eric03
04-23-2017, 01:32 AM
Sweet. Thanks for the update. I'll prob get one just for shits and giggles. Ha.

eduki
04-24-2017, 02:28 AM
I imagine the funny image of the thing drying out of battery, and then connected to the power cord to the wall from our fckn hands XDDD

Butternuts
04-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Did a 3hr 48min session with it on Saturday and it only went down 1 bar on the battery level.

Jin
04-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Can one of you explain the setup/breakdown process? Do you need a pre-existing power supply and foot switch for it to connect to somehow? I'm imagining it's similar to one of those maintained power switches where you just click your machine on and off.

Edit: I see where Butternuts explained how to start it, still want to confirm that it's a standalone power supply/switch.

Butternuts
04-26-2017, 09:23 AM
It is a standalone power supply. The tattoo machine is run 100% by the wrist unit and the cord that connects the machine to wrist unit is the only cord. Got some more time on it and everything went without a hiccup. Battery life is incredible, definitely lasts longer than I am willing to sit there tattooing. Only issue I had arise so far is the cord they give you to hook the machine up starting cutting out and they give several different extensions to try to cater to the different inputs of machines and it just makes it kinda wonky having the big extension plus the mini RCA think plugged into it. I contacted the company about the faulty cord and they sent me out a new one right away. I did decide to make my own cord though using a decent RCA cord and wired a micro USB port onto the end of it so now the cord is nice and sleek looking. The power unit itself though I am extremely impressed with so far but time will tell how durable it is.

Jin
04-26-2017, 05:48 PM
It is a standalone power supply. The tattoo machine is run 100% by the wrist unit and the cord that connects the machine to wrist unit is the only cord. Got some more time on it and everything went without a hiccup. Battery life is incredible, definitely lasts longer than I am willing to sit there tattooing. Only issue I had arise so far is the cord they give you to hook the machine up starting cutting out and they give several different extensions to try to cater to the different inputs of machines and it just makes it kinda wonky having the big extension plus the mini RCA think plugged into it. I contacted the company about the faulty cord and they sent me out a new one right away. I did decide to make my own cord though using a decent RCA cord and wired a micro USB port onto the end of it so now the cord is nice and sleek looking. The power unit itself though I am extremely impressed with so far but time will tell how durable it is.

Okay, I get it now. Thanks! Seems interesting.

darkness
05-02-2017, 06:20 PM
its a way more adjustable ... http://reddotpower.com/

Jesse Phillips
05-03-2017, 10:01 PM
This thing looks neat. Like, you could go camping and tattoo out in the woods or in the river if you put your ink caps on a float, lmao. Basically good for combat tattooing.

Butternuts
05-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Combat tattooing hahahahahhha!!!!!

Vinoshitto
05-17-2017, 09:18 AM
My colleague has one.. He really likes it.. He says it took some getting used to the fact that you cant just put the machine down in the same way as you're used to.
He also said that you can't run coils on it.. (??)

thesmokingmirror
05-17-2017, 08:16 PM
i have one i like it a lot. it definitely has a good life cycle and its easy to get the hang off. What i dont like is that although its pretty easy to do, i have to keep turning it off or lower the voltage to dip into my inks. maybe im just weird but i usually stop thw machine to dip. it would be cool to also have a wireless footpedal that works with it or better yet if it was Alexa compatible and i can just tell it to start and stop

Butternuts
07-28-2017, 10:18 AM
My iPower watch just took an iShit yesterday lol. Keeps turning itself off every 2 minutes. Also, the faulty cord I had that they "were sending a new one right away" never arrived.