PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Rotary- smartened up.

peter clements
07-10-2011, 01:01 PM
We've already covered what improvements could be made to this good little machine. Anyway I've done my own, you already know about the slot thing,now I've sorted the binders.....

Before...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0609RichRotaries0036.jpg
as you can see, the binders are right at the top of the machine,and the wires secured by a cable tie-it just looked crap.

After....
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0710rotaryevolution0024.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0710rotaryevolution0025.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2011_0710rotaryevolution0026.jpg

Much better with minimal cost & effort, wouldn't you agree?

The Limey
07-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Looks a whole ton better Pete, awesome job!

Mr.Taboo
07-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Cleaned up real nice.

slicksteel
07-11-2011, 02:18 PM
does it throw the balance off? or is it better that way ?looks like you also changed that cheap plastic screw out. Alot nicer looking,hopefully the company will make these changes.

peter clements
07-11-2011, 03:14 PM
does it throw the balance off? or is it better that way ?looks like you also changed that cheap plastic screw out. Alot nicer looking,hopefully the company will make these changes.

It's not affected the balance at all,bearing in mind this is a very light machine and I use heavy grips 1", and of course is much better like this for clipcord sleeves. The plastic screw thing was a happy accident,I dropped the machine only a short height but that plastic screw snapped like a carrot. If Deakon sees this post maybe he'll get the makers to take a look at the pictures.
Another thing I thaught was that the sled screw which I slotted should not only be thicker but slightly longer aswell,then you wouldn't have to take the retention washer all the way off,thus not dropping it thus not losing it.

spoonertattoos
08-23-2011, 01:09 AM
I just picked up one of these from BrendamKelly and after one use I have to say I love it. Pisses me off that this ugly cheap little machine works as good if not, dare I say better, than my Gen 7 for black and grey.

Anyway peter, I want to do my own mods to this. Ill try to some how go the RCA route but Im wondering if you figured out a work around for the needle bar. Its kind of annoying to have to cut the need loop of the bar when I want to use mags .

What do you say? This machine is great but damn if it doesnt have some major engineering flaws.

peter clements
08-23-2011, 06:15 AM
I just picked up one of these from BrendamKelly and after one use I have to say I love it. Pisses me off that this ugly cheap little machine works as good if not, dare I say better, than my Gen 7 for black and grey.

Anyway peter, I want to do my own mods to this. Ill try to some how go the RCA route but Im wondering if you figured out a work around for the needle bar. Its kind of annoying to have to cut the need loop of the bar when I want to use mags .

What do you say? This machine is great but damn if it doesnt have some major engineering flaws.

Take a look at this thread http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/1285-The-Rotary-Portal/page2 about fourth post down. I show pictures of how the machine can be modded so you don't have that issue with having to cut the eye off the needlebar. Take care when making the slot. What ideally needs to be done is to make the threaded nipple thicker and longer with the slot in already. Thicker to make it stronger,and longer so that you don't have to fully unscrew the plastic retainer washer. All these things are simple inexspensive mods that the manufacturer should do and then you have a much better machine on your hands.

Deakon
08-23-2011, 03:58 PM

Glad you like it! Amazing little thing, once you have set it up a few times you will soon get used to cutting the needle bar and takes no longer than setting up a coil machine with tissue rather than a rubber grommet. If there is enough call for an RCA version I shall forward it to the manufacturer.
Please be careful if you are thinking of cutting a slot in the threaded bar, I ruined a perfectly good machine doing that. Fixed now however :)
If you have any questions about the machine please feel free to PM me.

spoonertattoos
08-23-2011, 04:18 PM
thanks I thought of that but wasnt sure if the screw was wide enough. now I see it is. I just ned to get my hands on a dremmel. thanks! Ill post once I get my whole thing modded with RCA etc.

peter clements
08-24-2011, 02:35 PM
thanks I thought of that but wasnt sure if the screw was wide enough. now I see it is. I just ned to get my hands on a dremmel. thanks! Ill post once I get my whole thing modded with RCA etc.

That's right ,the Dremmel,but use a thin disk to cut down to the hole thus forming the slot and then very carefully grind away at the inside of the slot till it just allows a needllebar to slide through. A good way to start the cut first is to use a thin flat needle file on edge,go down about 1 mm and then gently away with the dremmel. This little machine is easy to mod up,it'll look nice with an RCA-post pictures when you've sorted it.

Denner
08-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Just got mine in the mail today, they wrapped the motor nice like on the RoteryWorks machines from Dale :)

I will be doing a RCA mod and a modification so that it runs with the T-Tech cartridge system and my custom Aluminium short grips ( half the length of the original T-Tech grip and feather light ) and will be posting pictures at some point :)

The machine runs crazy fast at 3 Volts, I hope the motor is strong, cause it is going to get a full work out next week.....

spoonertattoos
08-28-2011, 12:39 AM
post your RCA mod. I wanna see how you've done it. I wont get to work on mine for a week or so.

Denner
08-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Mounted the T-Tech system today, tested with my normal setup where I bag the whole machine including the grip and seal it all off with the T-Tech cartridge, and it ran like a dream :)

I also did a quick and dirty RCA mod, it worked, but it is pretty ugly, but it is nice to get rid of the traditional clipcord :)

I will post pictures of the whole setup and different mods, when I have the time.....

Bishopbyname
09-02-2011, 05:43 AM
I received mine today and like Denner said, the motor was wrapped ala Rotaryworks for a neater finish. I can't help looking at this machine and wondering why they designed the sled the way they did. I think it's a great way of producing a linear machine but why not make the machine slightly longer and then they'd have had room to put the needle pin at the back of the sled and negate the need for cutting needlebars? Am i missing something here? I totally understand the use of a plastic screw in this type of vice as a steel screw could damage the back stems, sort of the same principle as plastic screws being used in standard coil contact screw fixings. Looking forward to using the machine though! :)

Denner
09-04-2011, 04:29 AM
RCA "quick 'n' dirty" mod, will be mounting the RCA plug where it is positioned now, but with out all the ugly looking wires and stuff :)

spoonertattoos
09-05-2011, 02:17 AM
Its dirty but it is better than that clip cord nonsense. I need to mod a few machines. Im gonna work on that as soon as I find some time.