PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kubin Springer

spoonertattoos
07-12-2011, 02:11 AM
Got Dan.s springer today. Worked all day with it. There is something just a little more raw about a hand made machine. Trying to figure out what exactly it is, the weight, the sound, I dunno, Anyway this design is pretty nuts. The spring is actually a real hacksaw with teeth! Probably not the best for cleaning but a cool touch for the prototype. The Spring Certainly works for the give everyone is talking about.
My feeling so far is that because of the amount of give this particular spring actually has it would be best suited as a soft shader even though it hits hard as hell. Still working that out. I only worked on dark skin clients today so I'll need to see how it heals and try it on some white folks to really see whats what. (between the welting and lack of contrast sometimes its hard to se whats what on darker skin)

Anyway here i something I started today. All the soft shading was done with dan's springer but I used the med stroke neotat for the halo.

So far I'm happy with the purchase. Thanks Dan

you can see a big pic here. http://jspooner.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/angel-on-a-tit/

Dan Kubin
07-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks, James.
I tend to hang a bit more needle out for packing and it does great. This particular machine will run quite a bit different with different needle depths (more so than other machines) hanging more out you will really feel the needles working in the skin with the spring effect doing the packing.

that shading looks nice!

spoonertattoos
07-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Okay, Hung out the needle a bit more as you suggested and WOW! This is by far the best color packer I have ever used ( and I am a bit of a machine whore). Never has ink just went in so buttery, Single pass no problem. I recommend this machine to everyone. Dan I hope to get my co workers to put in orders as well. Thanks

Dan Kubin
07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
awesome!
you know, as far as switching out different spring gages, instead, you could add a bigger washer, (maybe a penny with a hole drilled in it) to the rear tab. that would shorten the spring, stiffening it up.
They also make #8 washers that have a 1/2" dia. instead of a 3/8", which would also stiffen it up.
-but it seems you got it to do what you wanted now with the spring length where it is at :)

peter clements
07-13-2011, 02:06 PM
awesome!
you know, as far as switching out different spring gages, instead, you could add a bigger washer, (maybe a penny with a hole drilled in it) to the rear tab. that would shorten the spring, stiffening it up.
They also make #8 washers that have a 1/2" dia. instead of a 3/8", which would also stiffen it up.
-but it seems you got it to do what you wanted now with the spring length where it is at :)

Dan,those square brass spring saddle washers you can get might be ideal for that. I have a spare one knocking around ,I might try it on my own Springer :)

spoonertattoos
07-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Check it out. I did, this awesome tattoo with the springer. Single pass, solid black. Thanks again man!
See it bigger here. http://jspooner.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/picture-61.png