PDA

View Full Version : RCA mods. Builder advice needed.

spoonertattoos
07-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Anybody here turn any of there Clipcord Rotaries into RCA? I did it once with a rick severia with out to much drama. One motor has two wires hanging of them one you solder to the RCA the other stay connected to the motor.

Im thinking of doing this to my Swash Gen 7 and Kubin - Springer.

Question for the builders.
1. do I connect the red wire or the black? Is it the same for all machines or is it specific to the directionality of the motor?
2.The gen 7 is some kind of plastic right? Will this effect the current/ connectvity. I noticed with doing these kind of mods on coil machines you have to eliminate all the plastic washers.

Thoughts? Id appreciate any feed back.

gangstajay
07-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Anybody here turn any of there Clipcord Rotaries into RCA? I did it once with a rick severia with out to much drama. One motor has two wires hanging of them one you solder to the RCA the other stay connected to the motor.

1. do I connect the red wire or the black? Is it the same for all machines or is it specific to the directionality of the motor?
2.The gen 7 is some kind of plastic right? Will this effect the current/ connectvity. I noticed with doing these kind of mods on coil machines you have to eliminate all the plastic washers.

I have changed all of mine over the past month's... the red wire goes to the center of the rca and the black goes to body of the rca..they usually have a flat washer with a tab that is made for the ground wire..you just have to fab a rca holder or order some from kingpin that are made to convert a coil machine..that gen 7 wouldnt be hard.

spoonertattoos
07-22-2011, 04:54 AM
so you're saying BOTH wires go to the RCA? Interesting. I know what your talking about with that flat washer. Ill have to try it.
think you can post some pics of some of your conversions? Im sure everyone here would be interested.

James

slicksteel
07-22-2011, 11:11 AM

you can do it both ways-the rick s frame was your ground but on plastic frames etc it how jay says.

spoonertattoos
07-22-2011, 04:23 PM
ah that explains it. Ill do one or two today if its slow and show you all how it turned out.

eric03
07-22-2011, 04:52 PM
if u do it n it works, do u think u can do a step by step with pictures for lame asses like me who have no electrical skills?haha.thanks.

spoonertattoos
07-23-2011, 03:16 AM
I did do it and it was easy as sin. I actually used one of those rca conversion kits typically used for coil machines. on the swash and it required no soldering or anything. The only thing I did was switched the red wire to the bottom and the black to the top so the motor still ran. I'll post pics tomorrow. Forgot my cord at the shop. Ill try to give some more detail too.

spoonertattoos
07-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Ill explain the swash first. I did this with out any soldering. If you have ever attached one of those Rca Adaptors to your coil machine this will be very familiar to you.

1st unscrew the binding posts. There is a red wire attached to the top post and a black attached to the bottom. This controls the directionality of the swashdrive's motor. From looking at a friends rca, it looks like it is supposed to go clock wise.

In order to keep the motor going the correct way, get the adapter to fit in snug AND basically hidden, I found switching the black wire to the top and the red to the bottom will do the trick.

It should go washer, RCA adaptor, black wire, binding post on top . Washer, Red wire, binding post on bottom.

Note. you may want to cut and re-solder your RCA wire so it is shorter.

I couldn't figure out way to make the springer look good with the adapter as is, so I just used a RCA plug plain and simple. This wont work with the plastic washers, so I unscrewed the whole top binding post set up, popped in the RCA screwed it in place and soldered the bottom wire to the RCA.

The thing to remember about rotaries is that the motors have two wires and from what I have read, run the best going in one direction. Pay attention to the direction BEFORE you unsolder the wires. If you solder one wire it will run way, if you solder the other it will go the other way.

Im not a technical guy or machine builder so I apologize if this isnt all clear. But between all the posts in this thread you should be able to figure it out.

Administrator
07-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Form and function, it looks good!