PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar with Rotary Works (into the abyss....)

RolandPacheco
07-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Just got my RW machine from Dale on Friday and decided to try it out on a walk-in client. This is my first attempt at color realism with an animal as the subject. I used the RW for 80% and finished it off with my Dragonfly. Color work on dark skin is a challenge but because of where I live I don't often get the opportunity to work with the perfect alabaster skin that really makes this type of work shine. It took me 2.75 hours, groupings used were 1RL and 15M, ink used, One, Bloodline, Alla Prima. Anyway, hopefully this thread won't be consigned to the RTW thread black hole! Cheers!

Alie K
07-24-2011, 10:38 PM
What made you switch to the dragonfly? Or were you using 2 different size groupings and had each machine set up for each one?

RolandPacheco
07-25-2011, 01:21 AM
yep, that's the reason. I don't like having to switch needles because I feel that I lose my flow!

Alie K
07-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Totally hear you on that! Some tattoos, I have 4 machines out at a time.

I suppose that I should feel lucky that I get to work on a variety of skin tones from pale caucasian to deep african. Darker skin (even dark midtone) can really be a challenge. I have to do a bit of adjusting with my work to make it successful-looking.

You did a really nice job on it - especially considering that you took on a nice sized piece for your first run with the machine! (and I'm not just saying that because it's a tattoo of a 'kitty') :p lol

RolandPacheco
07-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Alie-I do the same; multiple machines 3-4 at once. I feel that it is better to be over prepared than less so! I mainly work on melanin heavy skin because of my locality but relish the chance to work on lighter folks. It has always struck me as odd how some fair skinned people want darker tattoos while darker skinned people want color. I have made a point of asking people about their diets as this seems to have a huge impact on how well the tattoo can be put into the skin. Also, how often they hydrate.
Thank you very much for the kind words! I take it from your avatar that those are your two favorite things in life? You can't go wrong with pizza and cats although I am allergic to the latter and am a vegetarian so no pepperoni (although I do eat fish)! I'm just a mess. Aloha!

Alie K
07-26-2011, 12:21 AM
How someone takes care of themself most definitely has a lot to do with how a tattoo heals. People who drink a lot of alcohol, caffeine, or who do a lot of ecstasy, people who smoke heal much differently than people who drink lots of water and eat healthy. The latter always seem to heal quicker and with less dryness or scabbing.

Haha yes, pizza and cats are two things that bring me great joy! So do m&m's, roller skates, seafood, and swimming at the beaches of Kauai at 8 or 9am before the 'tourists' show up!!

RolandPacheco
07-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I've also noticed that dairy consumption has a lot to do with how well the ink seats into the skin. Often, if I find that the ink isn't flowing in at an acceptable rate, I ask the client if they consume large amounts of dairy, in particular cheese, and find that common thread to be the culprit. From what I've gathered, the hormones from the cow counteract our natural hormones which may cause a build up of oil in the skin making it harder for the ink to set in. At times it can almost seem as if the skin is rejecting as well as absorbing (but not in a good way) the ink. Once or twice I have been able to actually see the oil pockets within the skin itself (usually on 18-20 year old clients)!
Kauai is nice! I love the beaches and the island is very close in feel to where I live, the Big Island. Being 6th generation I am biased and think that the BI is the best! Do you make it out here very often?