PDA

View Full Version : Got my new Rotaryworks today

Bishopbyname
07-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi guys and gals, i received my new Rotaryworks machine today from Dale and i did some pieces with it today so i'll give you my first opinions on it. I'll start with my first impressions; it came wrapped in tissue and sellotaped in a small plastic box with a business card with some simple lubrication (no sniggering at the back there!) instructions on and was safely packaged. Wasn't too keen on the method of covering the motor with a sticker, maybe the customers own choice of design with clear heat shrink over it or something similar would be better? I'd say the machine has a no frills almost retro vibe to it, which is cool. Clip cord connectors are simple but work fine. Due to the roundness of the motor the rubber band placement is dictated to the front of the needle bar, which isn't really an issue. The grommet pin size is nice and snug and there's no moving that needle bar once it's on there which is good. The tube clamp is nice, again nothing special but works a treat.

Now then, on to the main thing: functionality. First of all i read a lot about Dale's machines so i knew to start it off low, around the 2 volt mark. At that voltage the machine is working at a slow but steady rate, a little too slow for my liking. Because of the nature of the machine, only a small incremental increase in voltage is needed to make a difference in machine speed. I raised it to 2.3 volts and now it started to hum a little bit more. Around this voltage or maybe a tiny bit more (2.4-2.5) seems good for colour blending and another 0.1-0.2 volts for shading. At anything over 3 volts i had visions of pieces starting to fly off the machine it seemed to be going so fast (which i'm sure would never happen)! The machine runs very smoothly and i definitely felt like i'd got more control over the needles in comparison to my coil machines. It shades really nicely, i requseted a shader so i'm not expecting it to line sufficiently. The machine seems more suited to building layers of shading and colour blending, which is exactly what i asked for. I won't be doing too many traditional tattoos with it though i guess?

Anyway that's my early opinions on my brass Rotaryworks machine. Just for reference i'm running it on a Critical power supply and have used 7mgs and 9mgs so far. Stay tuned for an update in a week or 2. Thanks for reading! :-)

Administrator
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Very cool review! Did you get the standard long stroke machine? Many people on here have remarked liking it for lining and "mowing the lawn" big solid fields of color packing so its nice to see you where right into shading with it. Look forward to seeing some work you get to do with it.

Bishopbyname
07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks! I didn't know if i'd waffled on for too long?! I'm not entirely sure if i got the standard long stroke machine or not? I requested a shader so that's what i received. I backed the needle up in the tip so at full stroke it was sticking out at the most 2mm. I got my Rapier 2 today too so i'll be reviewing that machine shortly.

gangstajay
07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks! I didn't know if i'd waffled on for too long?! I'm not entirely sure if i got the standard long stroke machine or not? I requested a shader so that's what i received. I backed the needle up in the tip so at full stroke it was sticking out at the most 2mm. I got my Rapier 2 today too so i'll be reviewing that machine shortly.
the stroke is the same on his machine...I have 3 of them and they are dope..will do line work just fine and push a 23 mag like no tomorrow..

The Limey
07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
the stroke is the same on his machine...I have 3 of them and they are dope..will do line work just fine and push a 23 mag like no tomorrow..

Unless Dale has stopped making it he actually does a short stroke version too Jay but you have to ask for it specifically when you order.

hendricksonart.com
07-30-2011, 01:39 AM
i like the needle runners with these machines but its the only machine i use needle runners on, i put a little vaseline on the needle runner and its like it has a neelde clip like the bishop

Bishopbyname
08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
i like the needle runners with these machines but its the only machine i use needle runners on, i put a little vaseline on the needle runner and its like it has a neelde clip like the bishop

Thanks for that mate, i might try that. I've got some needle runners getting dusty in one of my drawers!

I'm continuing to be impressed with this machine. I've used it for all my colour and black and grey so far at 2.4 volts. My regular customers have said that it's less painful and it's a more relaxing experience now because it doesn't sound like there's an angry mosquito flying around their head! :)

elbo
08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
cant see putting vaseline in youre back stem being very good for disease control???

slicksteel
08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
try the new needle runners go on easy with no lube and one hand! :cool:
so they could be called the one handed dry loven runners! lol

The Limey
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
try the new needle runners go on easy with no lube and one hand! :cool:
so they could be called the one handed dry loven runners! lol

Couldn't agree more, the new ones are SO much better!

Bishopbyname
08-02-2011, 03:13 AM
cant see putting vaseline in youre back stem being very good for disease control???

A good point there elbo. Being a grease it wouldn't wash off as easily as ink. Not an issue if disposable tubes are being used though.

Bishopbyname
08-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Quick update on my opinions of my Rotaryworks machine; I've noticed that if the grommet is flat to the brass when a needle is in place the grommet can start to wear away and cause the machine to slow a little. A small air gap underneath the grommet fixes this. On a very positive note i set the machine to 2.8 volts and tried lining. At first i couldn't get a clean line, then i started to push the needle a little and slow down a bit and wow does this machine line really smoothly! I used both 5rls and 7rls all day and it was super consistent. I Tried some tricky pieces too like 2 polynesian arm bands (yawn) and a japanese dragon half sleeve with loads of scales, it performed like a dream. One of the best lining machines i've used in 6 years of tattooing and that includes all the top name coils! I'm going to be buying another one of these machines very shortly! :)

Bishopbyname
08-08-2011, 12:24 PM
What do you Rotaryworks users lube your machines up with, and how often do you lube them up? I know Instol and Surgilube are recommended but i was wondering what else you guys use?

peter clements
08-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Silicone grease is ok, I use that on my Bishop aswell. Glad you've got the hang of lining with it-I really like my alluminium Rotaryworks,every Rotary enthusiast should have one in their collection.

wildboy
08-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Sounds great what you guys are reviewing now I want one too...

Administrator
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM

therotaryportal.co.uk (http://www.therotaryportal.co.uk/shop/article_2/Rotary-Works.html?shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D2%26)

They sell Dale's "Rotary Works" if you are in a hurry for one or you can contact Dale directly to see if he has any in stock.

Bishopbyname
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM

You won't be disappointed mate! Dale is away til the 12th but there's a guy helping him out on his facebook so feel free to message him.

wildboy
08-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Is there a RCA version of the machine avaiable? I havent found anything on the Rotyry Works website...

Alie K
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
If you contact him, he'll hook it up for you. Gangstajay made is own conversion. He posted a pic on here someplace.