PDA

View Full Version : I put a soft clip onto my gen6 swashdrive - thnx for advice!

Alie K
08-02-2011, 07:34 PM
(This thread was originally: How Do I Put a Soft Clip Onto My Gen6 Swashdrive?)

I know people have done it. I tried unscrewing the front bearing and spinning the top around (like I can do on my gen7), but there isn't enough clearance to spin it around. Am I doing something wrong?

The Limey
08-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Can you slide it up a little to get more clearance?

Alie K
08-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Derrrrrr... Didn't try that! Darn. Home from work now. I'll give that a go tomorrow. If there's another way, I hope someone pipes up! I want to try it out...

gangstajay
08-02-2011, 10:54 PM
just take it all the way off and spin it ans put it back on..nothing will fall apart

Alie K
08-03-2011, 10:39 AM
just take it all the way off and spin it ans put it back on..nothing will fall apart

So, completely disassemble the top? Plate and all?

gangstajay
08-03-2011, 11:25 AM
no dont disassemble it just slide it off the shaft turn it 180 and slide back on..then you should be able to slip the give clip on

slicksteel
08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Sorry!:eek:

The Limey
08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
http://unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/whip_change_clip.htm

(http://unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/whip_change_clip.htm)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWbE2zphyC0

Those are for the Whip Slick, this one (http://unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/1swashchangeclip.htm) might help Allie

Alie K
08-04-2011, 12:28 AM
I did what Jay said. I figured that if people took the motors out and put them in those crappy chinese frames, that it must be easy to disassemble. Totally was. It was so easy in fact, that I am almost embarrassed that I was hesitant to do it without asking someone for advice! lol

Yay. Now I have a gen6 with a soft clip. Now, I just have to wait for someone to come in so I can use it on them!

chris-in-cali
08-04-2011, 01:18 AM
can you do me a favor please? can you post the outcome here in this thread. I have been wanting to do this, but I love my gen 6 the way it is.
If you notice any Good things that come from swapping it out, I would love to know!!!

thanks,
chris

Alie K
08-04-2011, 01:27 AM
can you do me a favor please? can you post the outcome here in this thread. I have been wanting to do this, but I love my gen 6 the way it is.
If you notice any Good things that come from swapping it out, I would love to know!!!

thanks,
chris

Will do! I have 2 gen6's now, and I wanted to see what the difference was. I was planning to try the one with the soft clip for lining with to see if it was any easier on places like feet/ankles. Sometimes regular rotaries 'hit too hard' on those thin areas.

chris-in-cali
08-04-2011, 09:49 PM
I hear ya...It's a fine line you have to walk with the way that the gen 6 hits when lining....anything below a 7rl and your gonna be visiting blowout city if you don't pay really close attention.

I usually run a tatsoul 8rl at between 8.5 to 9.5 volts, depends the area I'm tattooing.
But I have been doing some smaller stuff lately that needs a 5rl....so I'll come down to about 7- 7.5 volts.

I'm extremely curious to find out how putting the soft clip on effects the hit...so I can possibly speed up my movement but still not have it hitting way to hard when i come up on the volts....hope that makes sense..good to hear from an experienced tattooer first before i muff the beginning of a line job and have to change out clips 1 minute into a tattoo...lol

Do you have a gen 7?
Kinda weird, but I have noticed that even with the hard clip, it still hits softer then the gen6 with a hard clip.
Would love to here your input on shit like this because I REALLY DIG YOUR WORK, and would be all ears!!

Alie K
08-04-2011, 10:35 PM
I hear ya...It's a fine line you have to walk with the way that the gen 6 hits when lining....anything below a 7rl and your gonna be visiting blowout city if you don't pay really close attention.

I usually run a tatsoul 8rl at between 8.5 to 9.5 volts, depends the area I'm tattooing.
But I have been doing some smaller stuff lately that needs a 5rl....so I'll come down to about 7- 7.5 volts.

I'm extremely curious to find out how putting the soft clip on effects the hit...so I can possibly speed up my movement but still not have it hitting way to hard when i come up on the volts....hope that makes sense..good to hear from an experienced tattooer first before i muff the beginning of a line job and have to change out clips 1 minute into a tattoo...lol

Do you have a gen 7?
Kinda weird, but I have noticed that even with the hard clip, it still hits softer then the gen6 with a hard clip.
Would love to here your input on shit like this because I REALLY DIG YOUR WORK, and would be all ears!!

Thanks for the kind words!

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out. Yes, I have a gen7. That's one of the reasons I wanted to try the soft clip on the gen6 first. I wanted to see the difference between the soft and hard clip on the gen6's, and then I might consider a soft clip for the gen7 and make it a soft black and grey rotary.

I tried using small rounds on the swash's but things felt a little squirrelly, so I only use them if I have to and for 'big rounds' like 5's and 7's. (I kind of laugh at myself when I consider a 5 a 'larger' grouping. Most of what I do is either really tiny, or I just like the look of a thinner line. I rarely use a 5 unless I'm going to bold something out)

chris-in-cali
08-05-2011, 01:51 AM
yup, this seems to be the way tattoing is headed...outlines in tattoos are disappearing.
I like to do bold more traditional stuff so I'll use a 8 or loose 5 and sculpt from there.

uber talented folks out there using mags from start to finish...mind blowing stuff.

well, it's great to hear your take on things...so keep us posted!!!!