PDA

View Full Version : Here's what i am looking for... what machine fits the bill?

Tommy
08-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Direct Drive. I want a power liner. I hear many of them line fantastic. and i don't want any springs involved. springs go bad and start to rattle.

Guillotine vise. I hate the "crank the wingnut to tighten the single piece horseshoe vise" crap.

RCA jack. i hate clipcords.

A swiss maxon motor. just because i want direct drive doesnt mean i want garbage that burns out in 6 months.

does anyone make this machine?

Administrator
08-04-2011, 12:44 AM
If you are looking for a "trashcan" direct drive with a swiss motor you may have to go with Shagbuilt Old English machines. I think his machines are either Maxon or Faulber (sp?) motors.

If you want linear and insist on a maxon you can try Blitz.

Ben Wight makes an armature bar rotary on a hinge, no spring as does the original Swiss.

Alie K
08-04-2011, 12:46 AM
I only know of 3 machines that might come close, but each are missing at least one element.

Mike Metaxa: Powerhouse, not sure - don't own one (yet). Direct Drive, yes. Guillotine Vice, no. RCA jack, no (but maybe if you ask him to make it?). Swiss Maxon motor, not sure. Have I lined with it? No.

RotaryWorks: Powerhouse, yes. Runs everything from singles to 45 mags. Direct Drive, no. Guillotine vice, yes. RCA jack, available. Swiss motor, I think so. Have I lined with it? Yes. Very smooth feeling.

Uncle Roy: Powerhouse, yes. Runs larger groupings easily, but the slight wavering of the needle makes me not want to use it for very small stuff. Direct Drive, yes. Guillotine Vice, no. RCA jack, no. Swiss Maxon motor, not sure. Have I lined with it? Yes. Not as smooth as RW or Neotat - not my choice for 3's and singles, but larger groupings are fine.

Neotat: Powerhouse, yes. Runs anything from singles to 45 mags. Direct Drive, no. Guillotine vice, yes. RCA jack, available. Swiss motor, no. Have I lined with it, yes. (favorite throw to line with is long stroke, but I can line with mid stroke too if I'm using tiny rounds) Very smooth feeling.

I'd also say that one of Cary's machines is great for lining, but I like the spring it has, and you don't want a spring.

Alie K
08-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Oh yeah. Forgot about Shagbuilt.

Powerhouse, don't own a direct drive one, but I'd think it was. Direct drive, yes. Guillotine Vice, no. RCA jack, maybe available on custom model, have I lined with it? no.

Administrator
08-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Mike Metaxa, Rotary Works, Unkle Roy, NeoTat. All use Japanese motors and have since the beginning.

Dan Kubin also makes Direct Drive no spring machines but does not use swiss motors.

Tommy
08-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Mike Metaxa, Rotary Works, Unkle Roy, NeoTat. All use Japanese motors and have since the beginning.

Dan Kubin also makes Direct Drive no spring machines but does not use swiss motors.

are those japanese motors high-end? a co-worker uses stealths, and he burns through them in 6 months... i just want high end motors, maxon is just the one i know is high-end...

possessed2sk8
08-04-2011, 01:47 AM
the metaxa deluxe is a very strong motor. i think it is very close to a swiss as far as power goes. i have one that i've probably had for about two years maybe more and i use it EVERY single day (5 days a week) and it is still going strong. any motor will eventually give out even the swiss ones

Alie K
08-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Just like anything, depending upon who makes your 'japanese' motor, that can determine if it is a quality motor or not. Most of those machines have proven themselves in the field. As for the stealths, they are 'made in China crap'. That's why you can get them for $150. I know that Ray takes his motors seriously, and has them specially made to meet his specs regarding speed and torque etc. My neotats are my daily drivers. They have long outlasted my stealths. I don't necessarily think it has to be a Maxon motor to be a good motor. It just shouldn't be a 'made in a sweatshop by 7 year olds' machine.

Tommy
08-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Just like anything, depending upon who makes your 'japanese' motor, that can determine if it is a quality motor or not. Most of those machines have proven themselves in the field. As for the stealths, they are 'made in China crap'. That's why you can get them for $150. I know that Ray takes his motors seriously, and has them specially made to meet his specs regarding speed and torque etc. My neotats are my daily drivers. They have long outlasted my stealths. I don't necessarily think it has to be a Maxon motor to be a good motor. It just shouldn't be a 'made in a sweatshop by 7 year olds' machine.

$150? lol... more like $60...

Administrator
08-04-2011, 02:05 AM
are those japanese motors high-end? a co-worker uses stealths, and he burns through them in 6 months... i just want high end motors, maxon is just the one i know is high-end...

Stealth is Chinese no name stuff. Mabuchi is the Japanese motor that is popular with many builders cause they tough as nails.