PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly Issues

JohnnyChaos
08-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Picked one up second hand.. apparently not used much.
With the give screw tightened right up it doesn't run, it needs loosening up half a turn.. is that normal?

it also seems pretty loud the softer I set it. Compared to stigmas or the hawk.

It gets quieter if I crank down the needlebar retainer. But I guess that's just limiting it's stroke.

Tat2dPinoy
08-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Yes that's all normal. Tighten the needle bar retainer just enough to stabilize. Too much friction and you run the risk of creating shavings from disposable tubes. You'll also make the motor run harder which can shorten the life of it

Dreviltattoo
08-08-2011, 08:27 AM
just barely back off the give for lining. sounds normal to me. i don't usually back the give off much, i prefer to lower the voltage for softer shading. 11.1 for lining, 10.5 for color, around 9.2-9.5 for black and grey...my preference anyway. don't forget to oil you're machine.

Mr.Taboo
08-08-2011, 09:06 AM
^ What they said. For the needle bar retainer I usually turn it till it makes contact with the bar and then just a half turn or so more to snug it down a bit.

The Limey
08-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Good to know, I've just bought one too!

JohnnyChaos
08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
it sounds pretty loud at those sorts of voltages. might strip the piston down tonight and superlube it.. read on here about re-greasing it to help with the noise.

Dreviltattoo
08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
take of fthe cap to oil. you can pull the give knob right off. also oil in the front where the nipple is on the slides. here's the instructions from ink machines:

Remove grip and needle.

Remove the cap  and push the piston assembly  down to the bottom of its stroke
by pushing on the needlebar pin  and lube with a small amount of oil in the
corners between the piston and the housing. Put the cap back in place.

Apply oil just above the needlebar pin in the oval hole.

Apply oil on the bearings  of the needlebar retainer  and roll the bearings a
few times back and forward to let the oil run into the bearings.

Run the machine between 9-12 volts for about a minute and clean it when done.

elbo
08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Good to know, I've just bought one too!

Ive had mine about a week and love it....very nice machine,ive now got a short stroke on the way(cheers Tommy from the forum)...i dont think they are any better than my rapiers but they are nice for when i fancy a change!

JohnnyChaos
08-09-2011, 07:32 AM
stripped the piston bit down, cleaned it and re-greased it with super lube. It's a lot quieter now and runs even when the give is tightened right up which it wasn't before :D

still not sure if I like it compared to the hawk, but I'll give it another go.

tugg
08-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I found even with the give tightened up they have a fair bit of give for a rotary and I actuallly leave the give alone even when shading otherwise I find I have to work the skin more .and yeah with it right up tight it doesn't start up until you back off thescrew a1/4 turn