PDA

View Full Version : snapped my 2 month old Swash whip

C.Anthon
08-10-2011, 09:48 PM
anybody else have this problem yet? Was tightening down the vise and straight up snapped the side of the vise (body part of the machine, not the removal bit) clean in half! Lesson learned, tighten VERY gently and not very much! Think that's a warranty issue or am I left with a broken whip and my dick in my hand?

DavidEngbaek
08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
i'll bet your not the first...hopefully warranty wont be a hassle...but i'll be honest, if thats not covered, i'll never buy a Swashdrive.

gravyray
08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
with my xp it was not covered. i stripped the older screw type out......no warranty. in honest though, i tightened it to much as you did.it is plastic.

thats why i bought the stainless , never a prob anymore, but they are gen 6's

Zapp
08-11-2011, 06:49 AM
i'll bet your not the first...hopefully warranty wont be a hassle...but i'll be honest, if thats not covered, i'll never buy a Swashdrive.

Why should be that covered in warranty ?

The Limey
08-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Wow, that's worrying...

Zapp
08-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Wow, that's worrying...

If they replace it,i would call it "Courtesy" !

The Limey
08-11-2011, 08:25 AM
If they replace it,i would call it "Courtesy" !

I've never had to deal with them over a warranty issue so I wouldn't like to speculate.

punkangel
08-11-2011, 08:43 AM
I did wonder if this would happen, but i was told by an Aussie friend a while back. not to over tighten, on the earlier gen's. i would thought that warranty would only be valid if there was a problem with the molding/plastic compound, like most things if it can be put to operator error, then it is not warrantied :(

fkirons
08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
That sucks! Aluminum 7075 or die!

Dreviltattoo
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Same prob with the previous models. NOT COVERED! They will fix it though at ur cost. They have pics on their website to warn about this. I wont buy a plastic machine.

slicksteel
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
anybody else have this problem yet? Was tightening down the vise and straight up snapped the side of the vise (body part of the machine, not the removal bit) clean in half! Lesson learned, tighten VERY gently and not very much! Think that's a warranty issue or am I left with a broken whip and my dick in my hand?
You will be left with dick in hand most likely!
they actually take very little pressure to make it hold as compared to a metal chuck.I wish they did make them out of alum thoe.

fkirons
08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
mold injection can be an affordable way to mass produce but if the design is not well engineered you are out of luck.
Polymer is strong though but I think swash use some mild acetal.
I think the vise, specifically, should have been reinforced with either some internal metal part or made out of aluminum and mounted somehow.

I saw the machine at Tattoo Jam, it looks nice but it would been dope if it was made out of aluminum.

gangstajay
08-12-2011, 03:17 PM
mold injection can be an affordable way to mass produce but if the design is not well engineered you are out of luck.
Polymer is strong though but I think swash use some mild acetal.
I think the vise, specifically, should have been reinforced with either some internal metal part or made out of aluminum and mounted somehow.

I saw the machine at Tattoo Jam, it looks nice but it would been dope if it was made out of aluminum.
I'm with you it would be very nice if it were made out of metal of some sort

Samyo
08-25-2011, 06:27 AM

Mate .. can I ask who you have contacted about this because I have sure not seen an e-mail come across my desk about this issue. Send me an e-mail to [email protected] and we will sort out what needs to happen to resolve this .. We don't leave tattooist standing there with their dicks in their hands cause it is just not a good look.

I can assure everyone the design is quite robust and we test the shit out of them before we release them , the other thing is it is a very well designed clamp for a tattoo machine so remember that when you tighten it down ... it is not a head bolt on a V8 motor.

Samyo
08-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Also did you get it through us direct or Unimax ... it doesn't make any difference to us because we stand behind the machines anyway ... just let me know.

Samyo
08-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Hey Gaston .. Tony here thanks for your opinion on the composite we use and the quality of our design :cool:

Samyo
08-25-2011, 06:45 AM

Actually he is the first one to do this with The Whip ..

Samyo
08-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Same prob with the previous models. NOT COVERED! They will fix it though at ur cost. They have pics on their website to warn about this. I wont buy a plastic machine.

Mate the only problem we have had is with heavy handed gorillas over tightening .. we have had this issue with a very few number of machines, when you compare it to how many are actually out there and being used as everyday work horses ... If you do have a link to the page you are talking about please send it to me as I would like to see it ... because it is not on our site and I can't find it on Unimax's site .... I am not saying its not out there just I cannot find it.

TattoosbyShay
08-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Wow thats some good info to know. Sorry to hear, but was contemplating on buying a whip, (now having 2nd thoughts) for what it cost it sure as hell should have some reliability as far as construction of the machine goes. Just sayin

Samyo
08-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Wow thats some good info to know. Sorry to hear, but was contemplating on buying a whip, (now having 2nd thoughts) for what it cost it sure as hell should have some reliability as far as construction of the machine goes. Just sayin

Mate did you not read the whole thread ... this is the first person to do this with a Whip, it was an extremely rare event with with the Gen series (the design was even changed back then to make it stronger again) & only ever happens when artists go all gorilla on the tube clamp ...... the tube clamp was designed to be secure, reliable and easy to use just like the rest of the machine ..... you don't need to tighten it down with a torque wrench.

And if you read above we have offered to fix it for him even though it is definitely NOT a warranty issue. or a machine flaw ... and as yet I have not heard from him ... how much more service can we offer.

As for what it is made of, old mate Gaston from Fallen Irons knows damn well it is not Acetal ... the Whip is in fact an engineered composite that is one of the strongest we can manufacture.

Anyway to C.Anthon .. mate, I have replied to your thread here, I have sent you a personal message, if you want your machine sorted then you contact me. I can't do much more than that.

Alie K
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Last time we talked to Chris he was away with a guest spot, I think? Anyway he is not on here all the time but I know how to reach him and will let him know to contact you guys and to check his PMs. I suspect he was going to try and contact Unimax first to see if they would handle the warranty issue since its where it was originally purchased from.

Many thanks for following up on this.

Tommy
08-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I have two whips.... can't imagine cranking on them hard enough to snap them. Seems like it would take a concerted effort.

slicksteel
08-27-2011, 01:38 AM
maybe he got a weak one that was not molded right

Samyo
08-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Last time we talked to Chris he was away with a guest spot, I think? Anyway he is not on here all the time but I know how to reach him and will let him know to contact you guys and to check his PMs. I suspect he was going to try and contact Unimax first to see if they would handle the warranty issue since its where it was originally purchased from.

Many thanks for following up on this.

Thanks Allie ... In this instance he is better off contacting us because it is not really a warranty claim .... it really is an operator error .. but we are very prepared to stand behind the product ... thanks for letting me know.

Inkslinger
08-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I have two whips and am happy to see they are doing the right thing.
ALTHOUGH he does seem a bit harsh with his words. JMTC

C.Anthon
08-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Samyo, sent you an email, let me know on here if you didn't get it, have been having some trouble with my email lately.