PDA

View Full Version : workhorse irons rotary collab with special technique.

TattoosbyShay
08-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Anybody use and could give feedback on the workhorse irons rotary? Contemplating on purchasing one but haven't really heard any reviews on it. So what better place than here right. Already use the dragonfly but not really getting good lining results from it. Its a kick ass shader and color packer. Or even feedback on what would be a good investment for lining with a rotary.

slicksteel
08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
ah use a fki or a mike metaxa aluminum coil for lining -both light and run sweet!

Baldrick
08-22-2011, 02:19 PM
I've recently been using a rapier2 for lining and it's great - loving it, nice weight and balance. Used with 3 up to 9th and same great lines.

The Limey
08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
I had issues getting consistent results lining with my Dragonfly too, switched to #8 bug pin liners and now it lines like a dream. Might be worth giving it a try unless of course you want to drop 3 1/2 C notes on a shiny new machine :)

elbo
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I had issues getting consistent results lining with my Dragonfly too, switched to #8 bug pin liners and now it lines like a dream. Might be worth giving it a try unless of course you want to drop 3 1/2 C notes on a shiny new machine :)

Are you getting your bugpin liners in the uk mate???

The Limey
08-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Killer Ink... They are a way pricey but I couldn't be bothered to spend any more time looking for #8's. They also have sample packs, so its not like you have to dump a fortune...

TattoosbyShay
08-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Thats all i've used are coils. I use a chris smith carnivore liner, a dave ritchie liner and a next generation liner but honestly getting tired of the weight of all these coil iron machines. Thats why I kinda made the choice to finally give the rotarys a try where I shelled out 650 for the Dragonfly (surprised it didn't come with a woman) but I still love it none the less. Only disappointment was the lining, no matter how I adjusted it.

TattoosbyShay
08-23-2011, 02:28 AM
Elbo-I mine as well, I shelled out 650 for the Dragonfly. Haha! I'll try the bugpins and see how it works for me. Thnx dude

TattoosbyShay
08-23-2011, 02:32 AM
So has anybody used or heard anything about the Workhorse Irons Rotary???

The Limey
08-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Elbo-I mine as well, I shelled out 650 for the Dragonfly. Haha! I'll try the bugpins and see how it works for me. Thnx dude

I run mine with the give 1/4 turn out and anywhere between 8.5 & 9.5 Volts, good luck!

TattoosbyShay
08-23-2011, 02:53 AM
I run mine with the give 1/4 turn out and anywhere between 8.5 & 9.5 Volts, good luck!

Yeah I tried that. Christian from inkmachines even told me the same thing via Facebook, but still wasn't comfortable with the way it was putting in the ink. I only use 3's to 9's. I'll keep f**kin with it until it starts acting right. Haha

The Limey
08-23-2011, 03:34 AM
Try the bugpins before you give up, I was about ready to throw mine at the wall especially after Thom (Fatcashdaddy) told me how well his lined >.<

Thomas
08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I have heard from friends that have them that they are great to work with the drawback being the motors burn out pretty quick. Again this is second party info.

Tat2dPinoy
08-23-2011, 12:45 PM
So has anybody used or heard anything about the Workhorse Irons Rotary???I have one, good for lining and black & grey. It's actually for sale in the classifieds

C.Anthon
08-24-2011, 10:26 AM
yeah, enough about the needles, anyone try that workhorse machine out? Does it have any give, or is it a direct drive kinda deal?

Tat2dPinoy
08-24-2011, 10:48 AM
yeah, enough about the needles, anyone try that workhorse machine out? Does it have any give, or is it a direct drive kinda deal?I've been using one for almost 2 months. It uses a carbon fiber rod, which produces a slight give to it. For me it makes for a good liner & black and grey. I'll take a short video of it and post it when I get to the shop

hendricksonart.com
08-24-2011, 11:38 AM
its a nice machine but vibrates and makes the most awful noise, It sounds worse then my coils, it tattoos well though

C.Anthon
08-24-2011, 11:48 AM
I've been using one for almost 2 months. It uses a carbon fiber rod, which produces a slight give to it. For me it makes for a good liner & black and grey. I'll take a short video of it and post it when I get to the shop

You were selling one right? Why are you selling it? And do you still have it for sale? And yeah, video would be sweet, post it here if you could.

Tat2dPinoy
08-24-2011, 12:02 PM
You were selling one right? Why are you selling it? And do you still have it for sale? And yeah, video would be sweet, post it here if you could.

Yes I hate to get rid of it, but it just doesn't get any use. Shame to see it sit there. I'm just really into my Specific and Dragonfly's right now.
Here's a quick video of it running:
http://youtu.be/RjvQdyoWZiw
Here's the post about the Workhorse:
http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/1749-Cleaning-house-Workhorse-rotary-Rapier-II-Neuma-All-for-sale

C.Anthon
08-24-2011, 12:11 PM
think I wanna take that from ya then. You down with shipping to canada? Pay pal cool?

Tat2dPinoy
08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
think I wanna take that from ya then. You down with shipping to canada? Pay pal cool?

Cool man! I'll PM you

eyeballkid
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
so, Ill be the first one it seems to give you an actual first person user review.
I got one about a month and a half ago. Ive been a die hard coil machine guy since I started, to the point that I was kinda the shop mechanic for machines. Anyway, over the last few years Ive started to get aggravated by the tempermentalness of some of my trusty coil machines. One artist in our shop has always used a rotary, and one recently switched to em. He started telling me he'd never go back cos the line work is always consistent, and the color packs quicker.. not too mention the quietness.

so.. I looked around for a while, and really was interested in the "give" idea of the Workhorse model. I noticed that the direct systems that the other artists had caused them to have to be VERY careful with thinner skin types.

So I got the workhorse. Yes its a little louder than the other rotaries, but its way quieter than my coil machines. The noise is caused by the connecter ring at the rear of the armature bar that needs to be a little loose to create the "give". I was leary of the real long stroke on these (3.5mm) cos Ive always been a dime-liner guy. So, first tattoo I do, I set it up with a littl more needle hang than I usually would knowing itll give some and have a go. First tattoo and Ive got more consistent lines for depth and evenness than Ive been getting for a while. Its been this way ever since. In all honesty I have used it for EVERY tattoo but 2 in the last 6 weeks and just ordered another one. I was surprised how quickly I adjusted to it and liked it. For color it packs better than any coil Ive used at lower speeds, so its getting the ink in quicker with less skin trauma. The only thing Im still getting the hang of it with is black and grey, since my style was to run my machine REAL soft for building greys and with this it hits the same depth all the time basically.

I am concerned about the life span of the motor, cos at this point we are all test pilots and only time will tell. But my first foray into the Rotary World was with this machine and I feel like I went to a tent revival and saw the light!

Nitty gritty: Lines VERY WELL and consistent
Shades damn good, but Im adjusting to rolling back the voltage as needed.
Packs Color like a steam roller.
Heals better than coils.
Runs on super low volts.. I have a 10 turn power unit that I turn ALL THE WAY down and then go up one half turn.
The bad: Motor Lifespan questions... but no problems so far and I use it ALL DAY as a Liner/Shader/Color machine
The other thing is this... the pivot at the top of the machine for the A-bar, while machined very tightly, does allow for a little teeny needle sway when you hit the skin. This CAN actually cause some line wiggle. However it is EASILY corrected. I took a rubber band from the side screw hitch for the bands to go around the needle bar and looped it a couple times up around the screw on the pivot. This removed all the sway and Ive been using it for technical peices with no wiggly gigglies.

does that help?

pattex
09-04-2011, 02:00 PM
nice review, thanx eyeballkid. I thought about buying one, too. do you have any comparison to other rotary machines? and something else that might help your machine to live longer: normal or cheaper power units dont deliver precise power and thats not good for the elextric motors of rotarys in general. try getting a critical II or an eikon 400 which deliver power on a stable and fluent stream. also using RCA cable helps as clipcords also dont deliver stable power to your machine.

eyeballkid
09-06-2011, 11:44 PM
no, these are my first rotaries... Im not REALLY worried about the motor lifespan, it just that coming from coils I dont have any clue how long it will last. A fella at our shop bought those swiss Swashes and they both died a week after the year warranty..(could be a fluke, as he doesnt treat his machines the best... but..)

as for the power unit thing, I believe Eikon is not recommended for the workhorse rotaries, or at least a certain model isnt. But, they run real smooth off the unit I have...

Administrator
09-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Trying to keep the same polarity when you run it will help extend your motor life. I don't know if the pos and neg are marked on this machine or not.

Bishopbyname
09-07-2011, 04:11 AM
I'd have to question any rotary builder that doesn't mark the connectors pos or neg. I'm sure a machine of this quality has them marked though.

Nedz
09-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Are they marked cleary on Dragonfly and Stigma machines?

Deakon
09-17-2011, 03:15 AM
I believe the newest version of stigmas will only run when corrected the right way. Maybe.;)

The Limey
09-17-2011, 03:21 AM
Are they marked cleary on Dragonfly and Stigma machines?

The bottom binding post has a + above it on a Dragonfly.

Tat2nu
09-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I grabbed a red Workhorse rotary from Soba at the Paradise Gathering last weekend and yes they have a "+" engraved next to the positive post on the bottom of the machine. I have not had a chance to use it yet but I will let you know what I think of it when I do get around to it.

Tat2nu
09-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I just got done doing a memorial on an old friend from school. I lined it with my new Workhorse rotary(0807RL) and shaded and colored it with my new Vivace 3.5. (1009RM). I wish tattooing was this easy 20 years ago. I have always told people that I have never had a rotary that lined well but I have to change my story now. The Workhorse lined beautifully at about 4.5v with a little needle hang. Shading and coloring with the Vivace at about 10.5v was great to. I think I was running my stuff too slow before and need to rethink rotaries all together now. Anyways I am stoked on the Workhorse rotary and will be calling Soba tomorrow to tell him thanks again. I will post the pic when I get home. I stopped for a cold one one the way home and am on my phone now.

[Edit]--->Here is the picture. I am well aware of a couple shaky lines at the bottom, it was her first tattoo and got much better as we progressed. Not looking for a critique just showing what an old guy that only tattoos a few times a month did with his new toys.

bobbydijital
10-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Nice work, I'm looking into getting one myself, by the looks of it the lining is pretty consitant and not too much trama..maybe because of the 'give' system? Is it really noisy? How was the weight?

Tat2nu
10-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Nice work, I'm looking into getting one myself, by the looks of it the lining is pretty consitant and not too much trama..maybe because of the 'give' system? Is it really noisy? How was the weight?

Thanks, it is definitely noisier than most rotaries but I reduced a lot of it by adjusting some of the slop out with the screw on the rear. I actually prefer that it makes some sound when it is running. Then it is not such an unexpected shock when tattooing an area that the client can not see. I design seems to get its only give from the play in the moving components. That graphite rod really does not seem to flex at all if you ask me. I do not hang a mile of needle out of the tube but I also try not to ride the tube. Just watching the tips of the needles doing their work and adjusting when needed. It weighs next to nothing if you ask me, comparable to any rotary out there. Looking to get a few more done with it in the next week or two and then I might be able to give a more solid review.