PDA

View Full Version : Mike Metaxa Brass Direct Drive

Bishopbyname
08-23-2011, 05:14 AM
I received my new Mike Metaxa machine in the post today. Really excited to try it out. It's my first direct drive machine so it'll be interesting to see the differences between this one and my linear machines.

Firstly i'd like to say what an awesome guy Mike is to deal with. He checked my professional status and was very prompt in answering my emails. His customer service is first class.

After carefully but impatiently opening the bubble wrap to reveal my new machine, i can confirm what i'd heard, this guy is a craftsman. The finish on the machine is flawless. The binding posts are marked so it's easy to connect up. There's a groove machined in to the brass between the cam and the tube vice which presumably will prevent the rubber bands from snapping. First impressions are that it's awesome. I'll update on voltages, needles and functions as i progress with the machine so stay tune guys and gals...

UPDATE:
i shaded with the machine today on 4 volts with a Mike Metaxa 11mg bugpin. When shading with a rotary i always back my needle up so there's 2mm maximum protruding at full stroke length. I didn't get the result i was hoping for initially, i had to slow my hand down considerably. Maybe highering the voltage a little next time would remedy this. Colour packing was achieved at 3.7 volts and was good but not great. Haven't tried lining with it yet, but having said that i'm still kinda struggling with lining with any of my rotaries :(.

FURTHER UPDATE:
I had a couple of chances to use this machine again today and i must say i like it more the more i use it! I highered the voltage to 5v and as mentioned earlier i backed the needle off and boy was it soooooooooooo much more effective at shading! Really happy with the performance. Seems to colour better at higher volts too, just needed to let more needle out; about 2.5-3mm. This machine and Mike's needles are definitely worth a look.

Administrator
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Finally a post about Mike's machines. So many people own them and will talk about them but its rare to see them posted about on here.

tgseh
08-24-2011, 04:51 PM
i have just ordered the aluminium one off mike he answers e mails straight away cant wait to try it.... out let us know how u get on with yours.

Zophod12
08-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I always hung most of it out with that machine and ran it between 5 and 6.5v. But that was a couple years ago that thing was my go to ass slayer! Japanese on the ass with that thing and it just slays it!

Alie K
08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
I received my new Mike Metaxa machine in the post today. Really excited to try it out. It's my first direct drive machine so it'll be interesting to see the differences between this one and my linear machines.

Firstly i'd like to say what an awesome guy Mike is to deal with. He checked my professional status and was very prompt in answering my emails. His customer service is first class.

After carefully but impatiently opening the bubble wrap to reveal my new machine, i can confirm what i'd heard, this guy is a craftsman. The finish on the machine is flawless. The binding posts are marked so it's easy to connect up. There's a groove machined in to the brass between the cam and the tube vice which presumably will prevent the rubber bands from snapping. First impressions are that it's awesome. I'll update on voltages, needles and functions as i progress with the machine so stay tune guys and gals...

UPDATE:
i shaded with the machine today on 4 volts with a Mike Metaxa 11mg bugpin. When shading with a rotary i always back my needle up so there's 2mm maximum protruding at full stroke length. I didn't get the result i was hoping for initially, i had to slow my hand down considerably. Maybe highering the voltage a little next time would remedy this. Colour packing was achieved at 3.7 volts and was good but not great. Haven't tried lining with it yet, but having said that i'm still kinda struggling with lining with any of my rotaries :(.

That's cool to know. I've been considering one of his machines for a while now...

brimstonesix
12-16-2011, 04:01 AM
been using one of mikes rotaries as my shader exclusively since 08,they fuckin work and work well. get one you wont regret it,mike is a stand up dude.