PDA

View Full Version : First time with rotary- Stealth Lite

the moustache
08-23-2011, 01:41 PM
This is my first post aaand my first time with a rotary, go eeaasy ; )

So I borrowed a buddy's Stealth Lite to get a feel for rotaries and to decide if I'd like to buy one myself.

The heart was on the ribs and was previously outlined with my Soba, colored with the Stealth using One, Starbrite and Fusion with a 9 mag at around 8.5-9.

The flowers were done with the Stealth, Fusion, Starbrite, and 7 mag at around 9 volts. The lettering was there already.

I'm really digging how effortless using a rotary is, my speed with color has improved and the saturation is incredible comparatively. I'd like to try out a machine with adjustable "give" but they aren't nearly in my budget as of now. I've been looking at the Dragonfly and the Stigma Hyper V2, but I hear the Rapier 2 is where it's at. Any thoughts or guidance with this?

Thanks in advance!

Deakon
08-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Budget rotary your after? *whistles sweetly* we sell Rotary works or Evolution rotaries at the link in my sig. Alternatively check out Cary (tattooedpirate) he sells the blunderbuss which is his entry level rotary. Diggin' the flowers by the way!

elbo
08-23-2011, 03:55 PM
nice work bud....the hyper and dragonfly are good but you will get the same results with a rapier 2 for a lot less money...plus you have less to wear and break and a amazing customer service...if you like the stealth you will love a rapier....good luck matey...

the moustache
08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info and compliments fellas! I'll definitely check with Cary and Rotary Portal, and is there a suggested machine for smooth, soft black and gray for portrait work?

gangstajay
08-24-2011, 01:35 AM
not diggin the letter's but I like the subject matter on both ..looks good I would just work on that lettering it is so un-forgiving

hendricksonart.com
08-24-2011, 02:14 AM
hell i still like my stealth compared to more expensive ones

Deakon
08-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the info and compliments fellas! I'll definitely check with Cary and Rotary Portal, and is there a suggested machine for smooth, soft black and gray for portrait work?The evolution is great for portraiture, check the website for videos of Brendan using it.

Baldrick
08-24-2011, 08:26 AM
The evolution is great for portraiture, check the website for videos of Brendan using it.
The evolution looks an interesting machine, but watching the video of the eye being cut off the needle bar, i dont fancy doing that in front of a client each time. Gonna take an eye out ;)

The Limey
08-24-2011, 09:03 AM
The evolution looks an interesting machine, but watching the video of the eye being cut off the needle bar, i dont fancy doing that in front of a client each time. Gonna take an eye out ;)

Which is why Pete did this (http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/1520-Evolution-Rotary-smartened-up.?highlight=evolution) to his

Bishopbyname
08-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I would say to maybe re-do the lettering on the flower piece to bring it up to the standard of the other work, it's a nice piece. The heart is good but it mainly looks like you've put the dark and midtones in not many highlights, which gives it a little bit of flatness, particularly in the red areas.

On another note, i've recently spent over £600 on various different rotary machines and my chinese £20 stealth copy is still the best and smoothest for black and grey?! :confused:

Deakon
08-24-2011, 03:28 PM
The evolution looks an interesting machine, but watching the video of the eye being cut off the needle bar, i dont fancy doing that in front of a client each time. Gonna take an eye out ;)If you cut the loop before taking the needle out it doesn't ping anywhere!

Baldrick
08-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Good mod looks way better. But to be fair the rotary works is only £5 dearer so it's a no brainer :) im not saying it's not a good performer - plenty of good feedback on here shows that it works - but I just don't like that the customer has to modified the machine to enhance it's user friendliness. Petes version is great so why can't we buy them like that to start with ??
Anyway I'm getting off topic here :)

Alie K
08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
This is my first post aaand my first time with a rotary, go eeaasy ; )

So I borrowed a buddy's Stealth Lite to get a feel for rotaries and to decide if I'd like to buy one myself.

The heart was on the ribs and was previously outlined with my Soba, colored with the Stealth using One, Starbrite and Fusion with a 9 mag at around 8.5-9.

The flowers were done with the Stealth, Fusion, Starbrite, and 7 mag at around 9 volts. The lettering was there already.

I'm really digging how effortless using a rotary is, my speed with color has improved and the saturation is incredible comparatively. I'd like to try out a machine with adjustable "give" but they aren't nearly in my budget as of now. I've been looking at the Dragonfly and the Stigma Hyper V2, but I hear the Rapier 2 is where it's at. Any thoughts or guidance with this?

Thanks in advance!

I agree with others that if you would like to try a machine with 'give', to try Cary's out. They are priced well below some of those others with adjustable give. The 'give' isn't adjustable, but sometimes too many knobs and buttons can make life more difficult. I've tried the Blunderbuss, and was really impressed. I've passed it around to my coworkers who were rotary-phobic, and all were amazed at how much like a coil it felt, and how much they liked it for lining. If you want one specifically for that, you can speak with Cary and he can set you up with a rapier suited to your needs.

Thanks for the info and compliments fellas! I'll definitely check with Cary and Rotary Portal, and is there a suggested machine for smooth, soft black and gray for portrait work?

I enjoy using my neotats for black and grey. My preferred stroke models for that are medium and short. The short stroke takes a little more getting used to, but once you get the hang of layering with it, it really makes for some nice glassy black and grey. The medium stroke takes a little less figuring out, but can still get hung up in the skin if you have the needles hanging out too far.

hendricksonart.com
08-25-2011, 01:14 PM
the stealth is outstanding for black and grey