PDA

View Full Version : Super V by Tattooed Pirate

Bishopbyname
08-31-2011, 04:19 AM
I received my Super V in the post yesterday (should've been friday but i missed the delivery :( ) i always feel like a kid at xmas when i get a new machine! So imagine my excitement being multiplied when i realise Cary put a free t-shirt in with my machine! Things like this elevate builders to the next level in my opinion, putting in that little bit extra for the people that support them.

The machine is awesome looking and pretty ingenious. Assembled in a coil like frame with a coil like appearance, i just can't stop looking at it! I'll update this post as i get used to using it more, particularly as i know Cary's machines get better and better the more you use them. Can't wait to use it!

UPDATE: first of all the negatives; the tube vice is too big, i really had to crank the wrench to get it tight enough. Secondly it snaps rubber bands like there's no tomorrow, thirdly i would say the geometry was a little off as the needlebar was rubbing on the top of the back stem until i put the rubber bands on which rectified this slightly. Lastly, when i started to run it i was thinking it should be renamed thumper! Tried it on different voltages and stroke lengths and it wouldn't pack ink for anything. It was like it was pounding but not actually putting any ink in? I went back to my trusted Mike Metaxa to finish the piece.

I then had a little spare time and me being me i couldn't help but tinker with it. For those not familiar with these machines, they use an armature bar and back spring system similar to a standard coil machine. I noticed the back spring supplied seemed to be quite thin and probably contributed to the "slappy" action. Previously i thought it performed a lot like "The Adjuster" machine from china. I decided to switch the back spring for an eikon 22 gauge spring. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Now it lines as well as any coil machine i have and with the give released a bit shades really well too! It was like night and day! I don't know if this voids any warranty but i just couldn't resist trying to make it work for me. Being the owner of a Rapier 2 and a fan of Cary's i knew it wouldn't take much to make this run awesomely. Still not happy with the tube vice though. I keep expecting something to break cus i have to tighten the vice sooooooo much. Hopefully this will be helpful to anybody looking to buy one of these and i know builders appreciate feedback. Look out for further uopdates.

chris-in-cali
08-31-2011, 04:15 PM
I hear ya on the free swag...I get pretty jazzed just to get some free stickers or something.

Getting a free t-shirt is definetley letting you know that he appreciates your business....good stuff.

Administrator
08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
I received my Super V in the post yesterday (should've been friday but i missed the delivery :( ) i always feel like a kid at xmas when i get a new machine! So imagine my excitement being multiplied when i realise Cary put a free t-shirt in with my machine! Things like this elevate builders to the next level in my opinion, putting in that little bit extra for the people that support them.

Like when ordering pigments from Waverly and getting a Beer Cozy and Stickers. :)

The Limey
08-31-2011, 04:33 PM
When you could buy direct from Stigma you always got some hard candy in the box with your machine... not as flash as a T-Shirt though lol!

Inkslinger
08-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Bummer.LOL Guess Cary won't be sending me a shirt since I got his machine from someone on here.LOL Nah just makin a joke.But it is cool when suppliers send swag.
I am pretty sure after I get n run the machine tomorrow I'll be ordering more and then let the swag begin!! LOL:cool:

tattooedpirate2
09-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Don't worry the vice won't break if it does I will replace the frame free of charge. I set the machine for a gray shader at a low voltage like I use. 5-6 volts. Changinig springs does'nt void the warranty. That's the way I built it. I made the tube vise loose to make up for the so many different disposable tubes out there that all have a different diameters. It was frustrating when we made thase frames 3 years ago. It is made from tempered aluminum so breakage should'nt be an issue.

Bishopbyname
09-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Don't worry the vice won't break if it does I will replace the frame free of charge. I set the machine for a gray shader at a low voltage like I use. 5-6 volts. Changinig springs does'nt void the warranty. That's the way I built it. I made the tube vise loose to make up for the so many different disposable tubes out there that all have a different diameters. It was frustrating when we made thase frames 3 years ago. It is made from tempered aluminum so breakage should'nt be an issue.

Cheers Cary, don't get me wrong i love this machine now i've set it up to suit the way i work. I lined with it all day today! I'll be ordering a Treasure Chest from you very soon. And thanks again for the t-shirt mate! :)

tattooedpirate2
09-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the input on the springs I was affraid of putting too stiff of one on there. The machine in coil version uses .020 back springs which I thought might be to heavy but now I have better research being done. Any further updates is greatly needed. I am not tattooing anymore other than testing machines out on my roomate. Haha he's my R&D department.

Inkslinger
09-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Well, as I said on the phone...
If I can be of ANY assistance.
BTW..please check out my post about the free vinyl graphics. Be kinda cool to have some "pirate" stickers. :)
Thanks,
Russ

slicksteel
09-27-2011, 04:23 PM
any more updates on the super v? as i am having cary build be some of the green monster frames-