PDA

View Full Version : Eikon ems300 rotary mode trouble shoot

Dane
09-16-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure my shop experienced a power surge and as a result my rotary mode on my power supply is no longer working properly. Its behaving much like non rotary mode is where it is showing a cps as well as a duty cycle other then the normal 99%. It also isn't giving consistent power to my rotary machine. I have a fair amount of small electronics repairing knowledge so if someone who has a more advanced knowledge could possibly point me in a direction to repair this then I would be more then grateful.

Also, it goes without saying that I went through the numerous "reset" options for the unit without any improvement. I also contacted Eikon and they are willing to take a look at it but if its something as simple as replacing a capacitor or what have you I would rather do it myself and spare myself the inconvenience of having to do without my unit for several weeks.

Alie K
09-17-2011, 10:25 AM
...or it could be something with the circuit board that you might not be able to fix yourself? Can you open it up to see if something appears to be de-soldered or if there's a little carbon smear next to something that appears to have 'blown' or will that void your warranty? If you look at it, and there's a blown cap that could easily be replaced, why not?

I think that's the reason I like the thought of having an inexpensive spare power supply around...

Dane
09-20-2011, 03:13 PM
I had an ems400 on the way so it wasnt a big deal to have to send it off for repairs but it I didnt have to I didnt want to. But yeah I'll open it up and take a look.

Dane
09-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Well now actually I'm still having the same problem with the new supply so I'm thinking it may be the machine (workhorse rotary). Anyone know if that could be a possibility and if so how one would remedy that?

Vallee
10-27-2011, 02:17 AM
I had a very peculiar thing happen this afternoon. I was aetting up for a client. I work at an office with a dental chair like set up. I covered my cord, plugged into the EMS300, slung my cord with sleeve across the surgical table and BAM! I apparently hit a anrea on the chair that was "live" -- apparently there was some sort of electrical short in the chair. Needless to say the connection caused a significant spark, leaving behind a significant hole in the metal "male" end of the power chord. I went to Radio Shack as suggested and bought the part #/catalog #42-2433 6Ft. Audio Cable (one end 1/8 inch and one end 1/4 inch). Both my machine and power source Eikon EMS300 are working. But, I am not sure if my power source is behaving properly. With no needle & no tube set up, running it at 9.0v, 86-87CPS, Duty is switching between 27% and 28% -- should I be concerned? It is my understanding that duty should be between 40-50% with a needle. So, then I put in a 1214RS (Mithra) & Disposable tube;(RDTRL-A(14) and ran at 9v, saw 80-82 CPS, but the duty was running at 79-80%. Is this right? I believe the duty should be between 40-50% with the the previous mentioned needle and tube, correct?

Administrator
10-27-2011, 09:53 AM
The duty is only relevant if you are running a coil or relay machine. If memory serves me correctly you are using a neotat rotary machine. The duty cycle is measuring the noise in the current. With a coil or relay machine the armature bar going up and down is an electrical switch like an edison door bell or most fire alarms. 50% duty means its spending the same amount of time in the off position as it is in the on position. With a rotary the current is generally constant so the read out of the duty cycle is not relevant.

Is the machine still running as it always was? still quiet? still consistent? if so there is probably little to worry about in regards to the machine. The power supply you can probably just ignore everything but the biggest number on there the voltage. Cable, buy a few! the short was a rare occurrence but they can also be run over by a chair accidentally and break over time so always have at least one backup.

Have you tried calling Eikon as well to see if it should be sent in to be looked at?

Vallee
10-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I am using a NeoTat, still running perfectly. I called Eikon they were very helpful, ordered a new back up cord. Reset the power supply everything seems to be running fine. I also called Ray at NeoTat such a nice man. Thank you.

Administrator
10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Glad to hear! backups are good to have for sure! In future the voltage is really all you will need to worry about on your PSU. The rest of the bells and whistles don't mean much when you are using a rotary.